PDA

View Full Version : Life Question from home owners or plumbing/heating experts:


Frankie
03-03-2009, 02:02 PM
We have been noticing a faint film on a lot of our stuff in the house. It's rather grey and feels to the touch like an oily sooty film. My only thought is that it's perhaps coming from the air ducts which means we are breathing this sh..tuff. One clue is that the furnace filter, designed to be replaced every two months, is rather black after only a little more than a month. Before I go to pros I want to make sure that I won't be handed a big unnecessary bill. Has this ever happen to you? What do you think is causing it?

Baconeater
03-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Do you have a gas fireplace? Those things put a lot of filth in the air.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Do you have a gas fireplace? Those things put a lot of filth in the air.

We have no fireplace. I should have mentioned that.

Hog Rider
03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Cool mist humidifier??

Alton deFlat
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Is it a gas furnace? If so, you could possibly have a cracked heat exchanger in it. If you do, you need to get the furnace replaced. A cracked heat exchanger is also putting carbon monoxide into your house. Have this checked out, but don't mention cracked heat exchanger to the service man. If he's not honest, he will jump at the chance to sell you a new furnace... even if you don't need one.

Baconeater
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
We have no fireplace. I should have mentioned that.
Have you been BBQing indoors? Burning a dozen candles 24/7?

Honestly, I'd get the furnace checked out ASAP because whatever you're seeing in that filter you're also breathing. There's really no logical explanation that I know of for the filter being black after only a month, something is seriously wrong. And if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, get one.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
we have something similar in our house. I have always chalked it up to having blown cellulose insulation in the attic. I think it gets picked up through duct leaks and blown around.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Cool mist humidifier??

Yes. Every night.

Frankie
03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Have you been BBQing indoors? Burning a dozen candles 24/7?

Honestly, I'd get the furnace checked out ASAP because whatever you're seeing in that filter you're also breathing. There's really no logical explanation that I know of for the filter being black after only a month, something is seriously wrong. And if you don't have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, get one.

Thanks for the advice. As for candles, we have a scented candle going every evening until bedtime.