PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Question about Moreno and Stafford...

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Do you think that these two picks, being probable first rounds from the same backfield, are benefiting from being next to each other? Are they as good as everyone thinks they are?

What's coming to mind is 2004 Auburn Tigers... Were they drafted all so high because they were getting "bump" from each other? Is this the same case with Georgia this year?

Just curious. I'm not the best at all of this draft stuff.

baitism
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
It could not have hurt. Ill leave it at that.

Kyle DeLexus
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
No offense or anything, but you start a lot of threads. Then again it could just seem like you've started way more because of your ... thread and your ... repost thread.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 03:42 PM
No offense or anything, but you start a lot of threads. Then again it could just seem like you've started way more because of your ... thread and your ... repost thread.

I have a lot of questions. The way I see it, it'll float to the bottom if no one is interested. Its not like I'm going off-topic, calling people out, or making false statements.

So, what do you think? Do you think that Stafford could actually NOT be the best QB in this draft, and benefited from playing against D schemes that had to account for Moreno?

Kyle DeLexus
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Do you think that these two picks, being probable first rounds from the same backfield, are benefiting from being next to each other? Are they as good as everyone thinks they are?

What's coming to mind is 2004 Auburn Tigers... Were they drafted all so high because they were getting "bump" from each other? Is this the same case with Georgia this year?

To answer your question as best as I can though, it always helps to have a good RB when your a QB and the same goes both ways. But Matthew still had to have his physical ability and make throws. Same way Moreno had to make his reads and cuts and use his physical ability. Where it would help the most is play action pass. Having a running game will force the defense to stack the box and focus on that, allowing your QB to pick them apart. With a QB that is burning the D, you'll see different coverages playing the pass and you can play smash mouth football.

Basically it helps keep defenses guessing and a good coach will use that to his advantage. They both still seem to be elite players at their positions, don't get me wrong on that.

Kyle DeLexus
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I have a lot of questions. The way I see it, it'll float to the bottom if no one is interested. Its not like I'm going off-topic, calling people out, or making false statements.

So, what do you think? Do you think that Stafford could actually NOT be the best QB in this draft, and benefited from playing against D schemes that had to account for Moreno?

Anythings possible I guess. The big thing with Matthew is he's got the measurables. Everything you'd physically want in a QB. From his film, he does take advantage of his talent though and you can see that when he plays. It doesn't hurt that he has a solid threat in the backfield, but he still makes NFL throws.

DaneMcCloud
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Personally, I don't think they're dependent on each other for success.

Each player has the skill set to perform at a high level in the NFL, regardless of whether or not they're playing on the same team.

If Stafford's not the best pure QB in the draft, who is? It's certainly not guys like Bomar, Davis or Freeman. It may well be Sanchez but only time will tell.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Considering the talent that they played against, as well as the injuries and lack of dept along the offensive line..... I think they are legit.

Oh, and the defense reall stryggled last year, which put more pressure on Stafford.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Knowshon is no Shonn. :)

DaKCMan AP
03-03-2009, 04:08 PM
No. I've watched all of the players in question play a lot of college ball. I think Campbell benefited more from Cadillac/Brown than Stafford from Moreno. Stafford is easily better coming out of college than Campbell. Moreno compares more to Cadillac than Ronnie Brown. While he wont go as high in the draft, I like Moreno more as a pro prospect than Cadillac.

bdeg
03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Knowshon is no Shonn. :)

How great is Shonn Greene? The guy plays with such intensity, and coming into last season so out of shape he will only get better. Very durable and NEVER goes down easy. Can't wait to see him in the NFL, hope the Chiefs grab him with our 3.

Chiefnj2
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Was it Sims or Peppers?

Vegas_Dave
03-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Ryan Sims/Julius Peppers

Vegas_Dave
03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Was it Sims or Peppers?
beat me to it

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 04:41 PM
How great is Shonn Greene? The guy plays with such intensity, and coming into last season so out of shape he will only get better. Very durable and NEVER goes down easy. Can't wait to see him in the NFL, hope the Chiefs grab him with our 3.

I don't think people outside of this part of the country realize how good he really is. He's elusive. He has a rep as a bruiser, but I rarely ever saw the first guy in the hole make contact. And while he lacks top-end speed, he hits the hole faster and harder than anybody I've seen in recent memory...

Chiefnj2
03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Or, one could ask is it Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews, Mays, etc.

Kyle DeLexus
03-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Sounds like a good everydown back 2 pair with Charles
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Krab
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Being in a good system, with good coaching, surrounded by good talent is always helpful for a player's production. It's the age old draft question that every scout and GM has to ask themselves, is it the system or the player.

bdeg
03-03-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think people outside of this part of the country realize how good he really is. He's elusive. He has a rep as a bruiser, but I rarely ever saw the first guy in the hole make contact. And while he lacks top-end speed, he hits the hole faster and harder than anybody I've seen in recent memory...
I think he projects a lot better to the NFL than people think. You're right, people hear he's a bruiser and assume he can't make people miss. He excels at both and will be a hell of a player next year.

htismaqe
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I think he projects a lot better to the NFL than people think. You're right, people hear he's a bruiser and assume he can't make people miss. He excels at both and will be a hell of a player next year.

I am going to miss him. It's a shame he only had 1 year.

Only about once every 10 years or so do you get to see a guy who can make the 1st guy miss but makes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guys hang on for dear life so that help can get there! :)

bdeg
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I am going to miss him. It's a shame he only had 1 year.

Only about once every 10 years or so do you get to see a guy who can make the 1st guy miss but makes the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th guys hang on for dear life so that help can get there! :)

How exciting were those Iowa games last year? The Wisconsin blowout especially, there were just so many TD's by Greene that you didn't expect to happen. Wisco players in position to make the tackle but Greene busts through for the TD. Some of my favorite college football moments. The Penn St. game was ok too:) I really wish we had gotten a tougher matchup in our bowl game instead of the mess Spurrier has putten together. I would've LOVED to see that team have a chance to compete against one of the top dogs.

As far as Iowa goes Jewel Hampton seems to have all the potential to step right in next year and make a big impact.