PDA

View Full Version : Life For the "laid offers"... how'd you feel about it?

wutamess
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Me personally, I had the best job EVAH (Sprint) and hated the layoff. But I understood the business in that I was low man on the totem pole.
However, it was a blessing in disguise as a BIGGER round of layoffs is coming this year (from Sprint) and I'm already securely employed and it would've been hard to compete with the thousands of IT layoffs that's coming this month.

When my wife told me about her being let go, it was bad timing but I was kinda relieved. She liked working there but I've been asking her to search for employment elsewhere anyways. Just so happens she's pregnant and employment isn't looking so good in her immediate future. But we're ok with it.

What's your initial reaction?

allen_kcCard
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
My initial reaction was that this was some kind of a sex thread.

The Buddha
03-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I wish some girl would offer to get me laid...

petegz28
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Me personally, I had the best job EVAH (Sprint) and hated it. But I understood the business and that I was low man on the totem pole.

When my wife told me about her being let go, it was bad timing but I was kinda relieved. She liked working there but I've been asking her to search for employment elsewhere anyways. Just so happens she's pregnant and employment isn't looking so good in her immediate future. But we're ok with it.

Don't worry Roger, I am sure I will be in the same boat here a week from Friday. You know the situation I have and how hard it is going to be to lose that. But life goes on. Thankfully I did the same with my wife a few years agi and now she is in a better paying job with more opportunity. Too bad they don't hire spouses!

BigRedChief
03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
My initial reaction was that this was some kind of a sex thread.
and worthless without pics.:LOL:

wutamess
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't worry Roger, I am sure I will be in the same boat here a week from Friday. You know the situation I have and how hard it is going to be to lose that. But life goes on. Thankfully I did the same with my wife a few years agi and now she is in a better paying job with more opportunity. Too bad they don't hire spouses!

How many you think in the pkging department
Don say?

petegz28
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
How many you think in the pkging department
Don say?

Well as it stands probably 4-5. But with so many cuts I think there is going to be some consolidation between groups. If we get lucky we will lose only 2-3 but as it stands right now, 4-5.

wutamess
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Well as it stands probably 4-5. But with so many cuts I think there is going to be some consolidation between groups. If we get lucky we will lose only 2-3 but as it stands right now, 4-5.

Well you're rich. You'll be ok.
It's others I worry about, hope they'll be ok.

Rausch
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I felt it coming.

Besides, it wasn't really my thing anyway. I went into the temp office looking for an office job but all they had was $8.50 in a law firm. They had factory work for $11 an hour. I asked about the factory job and got "You wouldn't like that. I don't think that's for you."

Right. Because factory workers couldn't possibly type 60 wpm or figure out Microsuck office.

Came back the next day in my shorts, workboots, flannel painting shirt, and ball cap. Got a different chick, asked for the factory job, in less than 2 hours I was employed making radiators.

I won't say I loved the work but I was proud of being able to transition to something completely different and do a damned good job. Moral victory.

As far as how I feel about unemployment I feel fine. There are a whole lot of people that need to remember that sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Myself included, even if it makes me the Angry Ramen Noodle Eating German for a while.

Integrity is not defined by the job you have it's defined by how good a job you do...

petegz28
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Well you're rich. You'll be ok.
It's others I worry about, hope they'll be ok.

Sheesh....I wish I was rich.

wutamess
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I felt it coming.

Besides, it wasn't really my thing anyway. I went into the temp office looking for an office job but all they had was $8.50 in a law firm. They had factory work for $11 an hour. I asked about the factory job and got "You wouldn't like that. I don't think that's for you."

Right. Because factory workers couldn't possibly type 60 wpm or figure out Microsuck office.

Came back the next day in my shorts, workboots, flannel painting shirt, and ball cap. Got a different chick, asked for the factory job, in less than 2 hours I was employed making radiators.

I won't say I loved the work but I was proud of being able to transition to something completely different and do a damned good job. Moral victory.

As far as how I feel about unemployment I feel fine. There are a whole lot of people that need to remember that sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward. Myself included, even if it makes me the Angry Ramen Noodle Eating German for a while.

Integrity is not defined by the job you have it's defined by how good a job you do...

WTG!... great attitude! :thumb:

Dayze
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I've been laid off since October; over 70 positions applied for and only about 4 interviews from them.

Finally got a call today about possibly getting an offer letter. It's 25% paycut, but I gotta take what I can get in this situation.

Plus, the new job isn't in telecom (Thank god), so change of industry might be a good thing.

kc rush
03-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Sucks. I liked my last job (that is why I had been there for 8 years), but I understand business is business and my industry has been hit particularly hard.

I was stressed beyond belief in the 3 months I was looking for a job and had to find work outside of KC. I'm glad I have a job now and am working for a good company, but I am apart from my wife and kids until we can transition them up here with me in a few months.

I guess you do what you've got to do.

Hang in there anyone else going through a job search.

Dayze
03-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Sucks. I liked my last job (that is why I had been there for 8 years), but I understand business is business and my industry has been hit particularly hard.

I was stressed beyond belief in the 3 months I was looking for a job and had to find work outside of KC. I'm glad I have a job now and am working for a good company, but I am apart from my wife and kids until we can transition them up here with me in a few months.

Hang in there anyone else going through a job search.

Sounds rough; my wife and I were considering a similar situation where I would go off to work outside of KC and eventually meet up etc. That's gotta be tough.

Hopefully you guys are reunited soon.:thumb:

Rausch
03-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Cheers and a beer for the man at the far end of the bar.

ChiTown
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Not unemployed, but as a small business owner, I'm taking it in the poop chute right now. My business is bleeding out at a rate of $9500/mos and accelerating (it's been doing this since Nov). I can probably sustain this for the next 8-10 mos, but after that...................I'm not sure.

I do pray a lot.

R&GHomer
03-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Me personally, I had the best job EVAH (Sprint) and hated it. But I understood the business and that I was low man on the totem pole.
However, it was a blessing in disguise as a BIGGER round of layoffs is coming this year (from Sprint) and I'm already securely employed and it would've been hard to compete with the thousands of IT layoffs that's coming this month.

I'm not looking forward to the possibility, but if it happens I'll roll with it. Times just suck all the way around.

BigVE
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
It's right around the corner for my company it seems. The next month or two will be busy enough but after that is real sketchy at best...sporadic sales will mean that some people will undoubtedly be let go soon. My job should be safe but u never know...I have tons of seniority and run my department. If the doors remain open I should still have a job...I think. Hoping and praying for the best.

memyselfI
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
It was a huge blow at the time but in retrospect it allowed me to give more to my kids than I would have if I had stayed employed in that situation.

Buck
03-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Not unemployed, but as a small business owner, I'm taking it in the poop chute right now. My business is bleeding out at a rate of $9500/mos and accelerating (it's been doing this since Nov). I can probably sustain this for the next 8-10 mos, but after that...................I'm not sure.

I do pray a lot.

I know this sucks to hear, but $100K is a lot of damn money.

You ever consider stopping the bleeding now and ending it?

BCD
03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I was the 5th person laid-off there. I found out today there were 10 more cut after me.
I wasn't surprised. Less money sucks, but I'm not gonna starve. I'll just have zero extra cash.

Mosbonian
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I know this might mean nothing at all for any of you guys, but the company I work for has jobs all over the country....here is the link to the open positions in the company:

http://www.aramark.com/ContentTemplate.aspx?PostingID=360&ChannelID=198

This is a good company to work for....I'm hoping it will be my last stop.

mmaddog

Fairplay
03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I've been laid off since October; over 70 positions applied for and only about 4 interviews from them.

Finally got a call today about possibly getting an offer letter. It's 25% paycut, but I gotta take what I can get in this situation.

Plus, the new job isn't in telecom (Thank god), so change of industry might be a good thing.

I was hoping you would get something Dayze.

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time. It was depressing, but there was nothing I could do. Life sort of went on.

Fairplay
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM

Good you have employment Rausch. I didn't know about your situation.

Feeling good about yourself is a lesson in life itself.

tyton75
03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Roger, hit me too.. my last day was last Friday... 6 months severance though.. can't complain too bad

wutamess
03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Roger, hit me too.. my last day was last Friday... 6 months severance though.. can't complain too bad

OMG! how's Ketter?
Take a couple of months off but jump at the first opportunity of employment is my suggestion.
Luckily for me... I only had 1 interview (that wasn't with a staffer) and landed the job.

I took a $15-$20k pay cut though but I can't complain.
More experience.

Pioli Zombie
03-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah I saw "laid offer" in thread title and thought this was gonna be about something a tad different
Posted via Mobile Device

Sam Hall
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
this is really how I felt

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxuCfImBN94&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cxuCfImBN94&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mi_chief_fan
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
After several years in sales, I got tired of the travel and stress, and a friend got me into a pharaceutical research company, and it was the best job ever.I didn't make as much as in sales, but was home every night.

In July 2008, a massive expansion was announced, they were going to add 3,600 jobs over the next 5 years; then, sponsors' money (mostly venture capital) dried up, and on December 3, we were told that layoffs were possible.

THat night, my department head called me with the news, I was one of the 20% (nearly 350) people "laid off", although i'm not sure how many people get severance packages with a layoff.

I was completely devastated for about a week, I had never been let go from a job before. So it's been 3 months now, and Michigan unemployment is around 10.5%, easily the worst in the nation. THe wife still has a good job, and i'll have health insurance & unemployment through December, but i'm looking pretty much nationwide for anything.

However, since being off work, i've gotten alot done around the house, and didn't have to drive much during a pretty rough winter, so it hasn't been all bad.

Redrum_69
03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm sure you could always go back to Sprint and work in the NOC.

I've contemplated that, but $21 an hour is just too low.

BigRedChief
03-04-2009, 07:04 AM

I worked there for about 2 weeks before I went to the Dept. of Homeland Security for about $25K more. Very boring work also.

BigRedChief
03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I was hoping you would get something Dayze.
He's not alone.

697,000 jobs lost in Febuary.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/04/news...ion=2009030408 (http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/04/news/economy/job_cuts/index.htm?postversion=2009030408)

Rausch
03-07-2009, 04:15 AM

Yeah.

Sucks.

Got a link to where I should send my resume?...

Mosbonian
03-07-2009, 08:51 AM
All....

OK....I make the offer again....

If you find a job that is posted on the Aramark Careers website and it is in a field that you are interested in, let me know and I will put you in touch with the right people.

We have many jobs all over the country...and the company is great to work for. Very conservative...fiscally minded...and great benefits. Our Food and Beverage division had a Team at the Beijing Olympics and has been at the last several. I am sure that we will be at the next Olympics.

I know for some of you the thought of moving to take another job is something you never thought of doing, but when the market is soft sometimes you have to do things not normally thought of. My daughter has lived in 4 different cities since she was born (she's 13).

I'm willing to help anyone if you find something in the company I work for...just let me know.

mmaddog

jjchieffan
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
My job has laid off. There are no projects expected until June. Fortunately, I have a friend that hooked me up with a job to hold me over until we get called back. It pays less then half of what I usually make, but it pays better than unemployment, and I only work 3 days a week, so I can't complain.

redngold85
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
I wish some girl would offer to get me laid...

that's what I thought when I read this thread title