PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Cable Bill $150 and rising, need help from DirecTV customers.

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I wanted to first give my opinion of Cox Cable as being a GOOD service that I don't have many problems with short of the ice storm 2 Decembers ago.

But I have expanded basic cable, HD services with Digital and Sports tier, TWO HD DVR's, and I have cox cable internet services.

My bill is running $150 and I don't even have any F***ing premium channels.

My question is for any and everyone that is using DirecTV or dishnetwork.

If I was to go to them and have 3 receivers with 2 of those being HD/DVR what could my possible bill be a month? Is it also true that I can get local major networks KC or Topeka?

Prices I would like to hear would be AFTER the intial reduced monthly charge. What would I be paying approximately?

All of that from DirecTV and I would probably keep my cox cable internet as I have no problems with keeping that around.

wutamess
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Dude you could get that and ALL the premium channels for $150/month (DirectTV! I hate Dish Network). I'd call or check on their website. BTW: They have the best customer service and have a customer for life.

jwazzie
03-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I would go to Direct TV or Dish Netowrk. They have more channels for a lower rate. I have Dish Netowrk and i will never go back to cable. Plus you can threaten to leave after your contract is up and they do anything possible to keep you on. It is awesome! 6 months of free HBO last month works for me.

Pestilence
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
www.directtv.com

Click on order and put in what you want.

Look at price.

58-4ever
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I have Directv and love it! We pay about 100 bucks and we have Showtime, Starz, and Encore, plus all the channels that you'd want otherwise. We have three receivers, DVR service, and the HD package.

TrickyNicky
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have 1 HD-DVR, HBO and Showtime, Digital and Sports Tier.
Home Phone
Cox High Speed Internet

avg about $170. Its a little high. But I like having everything on one bill to split between 4 people.

DaFace
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
The issue I keep struggling with is what to do for internet if I don't have cable. I have no desire whatsoever to have a land-line telephone, so I'd be wasting $30 a month if I went with DSL.

But I'm still thinking it would be cheaper (and better) to go with DirecTV and DSL, even if I have to pay for the phone.

Scorp
03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
If you want two HDDVR receivers it will cost you $199 per receiver. After that you still don't own them and you will be charged per month for them.

As for local networks in Topeka you get them with Directv, but they do not have them in HD.

tomahawk kid
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I have DTV and love it.

Great service and have one of the middle tier packages with 2 premium channel packs and the Sports Package for around $100 a month on 4 TV's (including one DVR).

BigRedChief
03-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I have 1 HD-DVR, HBO and Showtime, Digital and Sports Tier.
Home Phone
Cox High Speed Internet

avg about $170. Its a little high. But I like having everything on one bill to split between 4 people.
Same on Time Warner except no phone and that I have cinemax, All the HD, music and payperview stuff. About 500 plus channels. Average about 6 GB on the bandwidth.

$120.00 a month.

btlook1
03-04-2009, 10:23 AM
haven't you guys seen that commercial with some chick saying Cox cares that I have to live on a budget or something like that? yeah right.
Dish Network is good. $80 something a month tons of channels, HBO and 2 DVRS. I'm very happy with them. Service never goes out.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
You are getting raped. I would definitely switch to DTV. You'll lose the signal during extreme weather, but it generally only lasts for a couple of minutes. Now that they've gotten past the infancy of HDTV stage (God that was painful), their service is excellent, and almost all of the channels I watch regularly are in HD now.

One word of advice - seek advice on services elsewhere. I have found their customer service reps to generally be fucktards who are incapable of thinking beyond what their computer screens tell them to say. Obviously, that's pretty much all customer service these days, though.

Blindside58
03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
That's more than I pay for AT&T Uverse unlimited Phone,Cable (U300 Movie package), 4 Boxes,1 DVR and Premium Internet.

Alton deFlat
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Cox Cable is getting way too high. I'd check out Dish Network too.

HonestChieffan
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Dont make long term committments in this economy. Be prepared to downgrade in may areas..3 TVs in one house? really? And 2 are the high dollar HD stuff? Cant you get by with less?

Sure-Oz
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Part of your bills though is internet right? What would you do there, keep their's and go wtih dish/dtv

penguinz
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
The issue I keep struggling with is what to do for internet if I don't have cable. I have no desire whatsoever to have a land-line telephone, so I'd be wasting $30 a month if I went with DSL.

But I'm still thinking it would be cheaper (and better) to go with DirecTV and DSL, even if I have to pay for the phone.AT&T is offering naked DSL (Data but no phone) in many areas now.

wutamess
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

But I'm still thinking it would be cheaper (and better) to go with DirecTV and DSL, even if I have to pay for the phone.

I have Vonage (VOIP). $300(something per year) 2 months free if you pay yearly.
ATT/SBC DSL (w/out the phone) $38.99/month no taxes/fees or anything (called dry loop account).
Direct TV. $85/month for HBO, 2 HDDVRs, locals, and all the other channels that come with DTV regular service.

oldandslow
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Dont make long term committments in this economy. Be prepared to downgrade in may areas..3 TVs in one house? really? And 2 are the high dollar HD stuff? Cant you get by with less?

What he said.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
AT&T is offering naked DSL (Data but no phone) in many areas now.

I'd love to dump the land line, but I need it for my alarm system. I pay AT&T around $35 for that, plus another $35 to another provider for DSL (AT&T, contrary to their claims, doesn't offer DSL in my area). Of course, I used to pay Comcast $61 for high speed internet which didn't work half the time, so I guess I came out ahead.

Cable companies are evil. Up here, it's Comcast - I really feel bad for people who have no choice but to use them.

DaFace
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Aside from the availability of Sunday Ticket, is there any strong differentiator between Dish and DTV?

wutamess
03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Aside from the availability of Sunday Ticket, is there any strong differentiator between Dish and DTV?

Yeah... Dish sucks. Everyone I've known had them has switched to either cable or DTV.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah... Dish sucks. Everyone I've known had them has switched to either cable or DTV.

My in-laws have Dish and seem to like it. Of course, they probably don't know any better.

HonestChieffan
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe an area by area thing. I have Dish and like it. Most of my friends are dish as well. I dont have a fancy TV though. maybe there is a difference if you use those dvds and have HD or whatever.

HemiEd
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
It sounds like I am getting screwed, after having DTV for 13 years.

Mine is $100 per month, with one HDTV and one regular, sports and HBO. that does not include my Direct ticket.

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Part of your bills though is internet right? What would you do there, keep their's and go wtih dish/dtv

I can keep COX internet but the package I have will jump $5 or $10 a month without the multi-level discount having cable with itl

All of these things plus what I will be paying DTV AFTER the promo period is the bottom line. If I can save $15-$25 a month that is $15-$25 in my pocket and not going to Cox F***ing Communications.

I guess when you have to employ all the customer service reps and all the install and repair guys that the cable companys have it makes the price go up. I understand from a co-worker that an independant contractor installs your dish and equipment if you need that done?

Skip??

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Mine is $100 per month, with one HDTV and one regular, sports and HBO. that does not include my Direct ticket.

Just like having a Cell phone. If you don't renew every couple of years you are paying MORE for service than a new customer. Someone above said that you call and bitch and threaten to go to another service they will bend over backwards to keep you. Might be worth a shot to see? :shrug:

Frazod
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM

I recently dumped HBO (which I rarely watched) and the guide (which I never read). That saved me a bit of money. What kills us is the sports packages, but the wife's not giving up MLB Extra Innings and I'm damn sure not giving up Sunday Ticket.

StcChief
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I can keep COX internet but the package I have will jump $5 or $10 a month without the multi-level discount having cable with itl

All of these things plus what I will be paying DTV AFTER the promo period is the bottom line. If I can save $15-$25 a month that is $15-$25 in my pocket and not going to Cox F***ing Communications.

I guess when you have to employ all the customer service reps and all the install and repair guys that the cable companys have it makes the price go up. I understand from a co-worker that an independant contractor installs your dish and equipment if you need that done?

Skip??It's simple I installed my Dishnet dish etc years ago. Line of sight to the satellite (trees can't be in the way).
It seems like you point towards Mexico. Very straight forward process. Cable runs, drywall holes, fishtape etc.
Calibrate with two people, one at the dish, other at receiver/TV

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 11:35 AM
You are getting raped. I would definitely switch to DTV. You'll lose the signal during extreme weather, but it generally only lasts for a couple of minutes. Now that they've gotten past the infancy of HDTV stage (God that was painful), their service is excellent, and almost all of the channels I watch regularly are in HD now.

One word of advice - seek advice on services elsewhere. I have found their customer service reps to generally be ****tards who are incapable of thinking beyond what their computer screens tell them to say. Obviously, that's pretty much all customer service these days, though.

Those pesky MU grads!

:thumb:

Frazod
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Those pesky MU grads!

:thumb:

I doubt if their customer service reps even have high school diplomas.

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I doubt if their customer service reps even have high school diplomas.

I think your right, I have had DTV for 10 years, I usually know more about the product than they do...

I always install my own systems....

MahiMike
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd go with rabbit ears.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I think your right, I have had DTV for 10 years, I usually know more about the product than they do...

I always install my own systems....

When I had the issues with getting local stations in HD, and all of the 20 or so different reps I talked to basically told me I was screwed, I learned from DTEBBE that I could hook up a UHF antenna to my receiver and get them. That still just amazes me - that not ONE of those idiots either (a) knew about it, or (b) bothered to tell me. :shake:

However, that was several years ago, and all those problems are in the past. Still......

Herzig
03-04-2009, 11:50 AM

I don't know if anyone has replied about this yet, but you can get DSL without having a land line now.

I have it thru AT&T/Yahoo for $19.99 a month. That's my total bill every month.

I also have DirecTV Total Choice Plus(one step up from basic DirecTV), one high def. DVR, and 2 other high def. receivers for a total of $76 a month.

Lzen
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
If you want two HDDVR receivers it will cost you $199 per receiver. After that you still don't own them and you will be charged per month for them.

As for local networks in Topeka you get them with Directv, but they do not have them in HD.

I keep hearing that Dish Network is supposed to get the local HD feeds soon. In the meanwhile, I just have an antenna for that.

Kerberos,
I have Dish Network and have been happy with it for over 4 years now. Your best bet is to just call both of those companies and ask what they can offer. Make sure that the channels that you want are in the packages that they offer. I can't offer much in the way of pricing advice because they have so many different tiers and change them all the time. All I know is that I don't pay as much as you. I have 2 dual tuner dvrs (one is HD) and the top tier package without premiums (well, I get about 8 Encores if you want to call that premium) and it doesn't cost me anywhere near $150.

Lzen
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM

How many people, exactly, have told you that Dish sucks? Why? What, specifically, are their reasons? What does Directv have over Dish (other than Sunday ticket)?

Deberg_1990
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Amazing how much we all get raped for watching TV these days. $150 bucks a month??

Do you really watch that much TV to justify this cost??

Reerun_KC
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Amazing how much we all get raped for watching TV these days. $150 bucks a month??

You need to see my wifes and daughters Tivo List... I am lucky the TV is available if at all during the week...

They will be pissed when I cancel something to watch the Jayhawks tonight!:D

But hey, there are others in the house, and there is no need for shit fucking junk trash shows to be recording from 6-10 everynight on both tuners!

Deberg_1990
03-04-2009, 12:46 PM
ATT UVerse has total home DVR now.

Essentially you only need one DVR now. You can watch recorded programs from that box on any other tuner in the house.

2 HD streams and 2 SD streams total.

Kerberos
03-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I keep hearing that Dish Network is supposed to get the local HD feeds soon. In the meanwhile, I just have an antenna for that.

Kerberos,
I have Dish Network and have been happy with it for over 4 years now. Your best bet is to just call both of those companies and ask what they can offer. Make sure that the channels that you want are in the packages that they offer. I can't offer much in the way of pricing advice because they have so many different tiers and change them all the time. All I know is that I don't pay as much as you. I have 2 dual tuner dvrs (one is HD) and the top tier package without premiums (well, I get about 8 Encores if you want to call that premium) and it doesn't cost me anywhere near $150.

I will call Dish Network and get the lowdown on thier price as well. The only reason I may go DTV is when my wife gets her masters and gets a kick ass high paying job I may want to enjoy NFL Sunday Ticket as well. :thumb:

While I have a 4 year old and my wife is going to school full time TV is really the only other entertainmnet we have besides what got us the 4 year old. ;)

The $150 is going UP according to the letter we got from Cox and it is scheduled to be around $16 if my wife read the letter right. That means my bill will be around $165 a month and I still won't have any premium channels. :cuss:

I just talked to DTV and everything I need/want with 3 boxes (1 HD/DVR 1 DVR and 1 standard box) will be $64.99 a month total after the initial reduced offer for the first year. New customer means everything is installed FREE of charge with all three boxes included in the install.

Keeping my cable internet will be $44.99 a month with cox and that is STILL cheaper than I am paying COX for everything right now.

blaise
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM

I know. When my wife and I moved into our new house we had a new baby and didn't watch TV much. so we figured we'd wait to get cable. It's been three years now. I just can't bring myself to pay $100+ a month and so I don't have cable- we can afford it, I just don't want to pay it. Sometimes I miss it but you'd be surprised. I'm so busy I don't have that much time anyway.
Sometimes we'll be at a hotel or something and I'll think, "Cool, cable! Look at all this stuff!" Then I just flip around for an hour and think, "meh, I'll keep my $100 a month."

Deberg_1990
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I know. When my wife and I moved into our new house we had a new baby and didn't watch TV much. so we figured we'd wait to get cable. It's been three years now. I just can't bring myself to pay $100+ a month and so I don't have cable- we can afford it, I just don't want to pay it. Sometimes I miss it but you'd be surprised. I'm so busy I don't have that much time anyway.
Sometimes we'll be at a hotel or something and I'll think, "Cool, cable! Look at all this stuff!" Then I just flip around for an hour and think, "meh, I'll keep my $100 a month."

I think most of us could cut a ton of extras out of our lives if we really wanted to.

I pay $60 bucks a month for my cable and im thinking of cutting back.

There are maybe 3 or 4 shows i watch a week. Everything else i channel surf.

HemiEd
03-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Just like having a Cell phone. If you don't renew every couple of years you are paying MORE for service than a new customer. Someone above said that you call and bitch and threaten to go to another service they will bend over backwards to keep you. Might be worth a shot to see? :shrug:

Good point, I am about due to do this. I did it about 4 years ago, and they gave me Super Fan free for two years, with the free HD receiver for two years.

Detoxing
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
If you switch to Direct TV you will not be dissapointed. They have great customer service. I fucking hate Cox with a passion. They must have the worst customer service.....ever.

I don't know how many times ive been on hold with them for 10+ min, then you finally reach a human and then get disconnected while they transfer you to someone else. Gawd....i hate them. I would never, ever, ever go back to Cox.

eazyb81
03-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm glad somebody started a thread about this, I thought about doing it recently myself.

I'm paying around $130 a month to Comcast for cable and internet service, which I think is absurdly high. I don't remember paying anywhere near that when I had the same service with TWC in KC about 2 years ago.

It's BS that cable companies can have monopolies in certain towns. AT&T tried to start cable service in Nashville but Comcast went on this huge negative ad campaign against them to get people to vote it down in an election, and I guess people fell for it because I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Are satellites still crappy in bad weather? We had a satellite for awhile when I was a kid and I hated missing shows when it would rain or get cloudy.

Detoxing
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm glad somebody started a thread about this, I thought about doing it recently myself.

I'm paying around $130 a month to Comcast for cable and internet service, which I think is absurdly high. I don't remember paying anywhere near that when I had the same service with TWC in KC about 2 years ago.

It's BS that cable companies can have monopolies in certain towns. AT&T tried to start cable service in Nashville but Comcast went on this huge negative ad campaign against them to get people to vote it down in an election, and I guess people fell for it because I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Are satellites still crappy in bad weather? We had a satellite for awhile when I was a kid and I hated missing shows when it would rain or get cloudy.

Well, we don't really have "bad" weather out here, but when it rains it doesn't affect our dish at all.

Johnny Vegas
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I have 2 HD DVR's, all their channels they offer and pay $125 a month

edit: I also have my internet through my cable company, but I split the cable from the wall and get local channels and internet when I only pay for the internet.

HemiEd
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
I recently dumped HBO (which I rarely watched) and the guide (which I never read). That saved me a bit of money. What kills us is the sports packages, but the wife's not giving up MLB Extra Innings and I'm damn sure not giving up Sunday Ticket.

The guide costs extra? I use the heck out of it, but didn't know it was extra.

I am a junkie for a couple HBO shows, flight of the Conchords, and Big Love. That would be a $15 savings, but I would rather give up something else. :p

Like you, Sunday Ticket is the main reason for the DTV to begin with. At least I finally got the Mrs. to get rid of the cable, we had both for several years.

Skip Towne
03-04-2009, 04:33 PM
The guide costs extra? I use the heck out of it, but didn't know it was extra.

I am a junkie for a couple HBO shows, flight of the Conchords, and Big Love. That would be a $15 savings, but I would rather give up something else. :p

Like you, Sunday Ticket is the main reason for the DTV to begin with. At least I finally got the Mrs. to get rid of the cable, we had both for several years.

They have a paperback guide they send out once per month as well as the onscreen guide. It costs extra and nobody takes it.

DaFace
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM

You must be on the same plan I am. I paid $130 last month for Comcast's cable plus internet. If I'm figuring everything correctly, I can get basically the same thing through Qwest and DirecTV for about $110 or so.

Frazod
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Comcast is THE SPAWN OF HELL. Dump them and get a dish - either company - you'll be glad you did. Your signal will go out occasionally during bad storms, but it's rare (it really has to be storming like hell) and doesn't last long).