PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Article... Stafford falling like a rock. A rock with a rock tied to it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Looked for this... didn't see it posted... if it is a re-post I just don't care... the world will probably continue spinning on it's axis. Actually now that I think about it I hope it is a re-post. I love the re-post police.

The Cassel trade is looking better every minute especially where Stafford is concerned.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=mockdraftsanchezontopsta&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Mock draft: Sanchez on top, Stafford slips to 10
By Vinnie Iyer - SportingNews
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

There’s a new No. 1 in Sporting News’ NFL Mock Draft, and it’s quarterback Mark Sanchez. An outstanding performance at the NFL Scouting Combine fuels the rise by Sanchez, who replaces Matthew Stafford as the projected pick by the Detroit Lions.

The new mock draft, prepared for Sporting News’ Pro Football War Room by Russ Lande and his staff, includes big changes. These reflect the results of the Combine, which ended this week in Indianapolis.

Here is a look at the latest projected top 10 picks for the 2009 NFL draft. To see the rest of the mock first round and entire mock second round, visit SportingNews.com’s Pro Football War Room:

1. Detroit Lions
Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern Cal
2. St. Louis Rams
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
3. Kansas City Chiefs
Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle Seahawks
Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
5. Cleveland Browns
Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
6. Cincinnati Bengals
B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
7. Oakland Raiders
Alex Mack, C, California
8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Chris Wells. RB, Ohio State
9. Green Bay Packers
Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
10. San Francisco 49ers
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

Notes

Trojans player projected to help improve the winless Lions. With the 20th overall pick acquired from the Dallas Cowboys in the trade for wide receiver Roy E. Williams, Detroit is in position to take Southern Cal outside linebacker Brian Cushing.

Why did Stafford drop all the way to 10? Part of it has to do with the fast-rising Curry, who has made his case to get first overall consideration. If the Chiefs draft defense first, then the 49ers are the next logical quarterback-hungry team ready to take the former Georgia standout.

After the success that Cleveland’s Joe Thomas and Miami’s Jake Long had in their successive NFL rookie seasons, tackle is again a hot commodity at the top of the draft. Both Virginia’s Monroe and Baylor’s Smith have jumped over Andre Smith.

The Raiders could always use more smart, tough football players. Mack, another booming prospect, would be a great anchor for their offensive line—Oakland just needs to look to nearby Berkeley.

Both the Browns and Packers plan on operating out of 3-4 defenses this season, and shouldn’t waste time in landing capable edge rushers in the draft. Although Everette Brown might be more suited to make the transition to outside linebacker, Green Bay can’t ignore the pure sack skills of English.

When they released Fred Taylor last week, the Jaguars had designs on getting younger at running back. “Beanie” Wells looks the part of a solid complement to Maurice Jones-Drew.

Where’s Michael Crabtree? The consensus best wide receiver in the draft didn’t make the top 10, but didn’t last much longer. As if Drew Brees needed any more big-play threats, the Saints are tabbed to take the Texas Tech pass-catching machine at No. 14.

Southern Cal doesn’t stop with Sanchez and Cushing coming off the board. Expect inside linebacker Rey Maualuga (12th to Denver) and defensive tackle Fili Moala (30th to Tennessee) to also be first-round picks.

When does the corner market open? No cornerbacks are among SN’s top 10 projected picks, but before the first round is done, expect two fine Big Ten athletes to go: Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins (15th to Houston) and Illinois’ Vontae Davis (31st to Arizona).

Tampa Bay is another team hungry for a QB, and after Sanchez and Stafford are both off the board, that’s the projected destination for Kansas State’s Josh Freeman.

Vinnie Iyer is a staff writer for Sporting News. Email him at viyer@sportingnews.com.

DJ's left nut
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Alex Mack at 7?

I'm gonna go ahead and question that mock a little bit...

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Alex Mack at 7?

I question all mocks.

BigChiefFan
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I have a hard time believing Alex Mack will be drafted before Stafford.

Goapics1
I question all mocks.

I question if this is a fuggin repost

Dr. Facebook Fever
I question if this is a fuggin repost

I sure hope so.

Goapics1
03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Sanchez on top

Mecca's wet dream.

CoMoChief
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I question all mocks.

I question anything Mecca says.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Talking heads don't mean shit at this point. If Detroit takes a QB with the 1 pick, I'd be shocked if it was anyone but Stafford. That said, I've always been a dirty sanchez man myself and am confident he'll have the pro bowl career of the two. Of course, anyone who gets drafted by Detroit is fuckin doomed.

Basileus777
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Alex Mack at 7

ROFL ROFL ROFL

No one take this mock seriously.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Always a good plan... important saftey tip there thanks.

bdeg
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Mack is a GREAT player, I could see someone falling in love with him but not at 7.

Larry English will be lucky to go in the first.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Alex Mack at 7

ROFL ROFL ROFL

.... until it happens?

:evil:

unothadeal
03-04-2009, 01:06 PM
This article missed by 40,000 miles

Chiefnj2
03-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Russ Lande is the guy who said Sanchez threw the ball with pinpoint accuracy at the combine.

Russ is an interesting draft guy. The good: He's a former scout so he has good qualifications. He doesn't rely on what others say. He often finds some good dark-horse players.

The bad - because he marches to his own drum he is often way off on some of his picks and opinions. The Sporting News is generally a rag.

rockymtnchief
03-04-2009, 01:15 PM
It's the Raiders picking at 7. I could see them being dumb enough to do this.

Otter
03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Article... Stafford falling like a rock. A rock with a rock tied to it.

Not a physics major I hope.

OnTheWarpath58
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM

LMAO

Brock
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Russ Lande is the guy who said Sanchez threw the ball with pinpoint accuracy at the combine.

he didn't actually say that.

Chiefnj2
03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
he didn't actually say that.

I thought it was him. He might have been the guy that said the ball exploded out of Sanchez's hand in impressive tight spirals.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
It's the fuckin Raiders. How could anyone doubt that they would do anything at this point? They could draft a fucking punter. It wouldn't be the first time they've spent a 1st round draft pick on a player who relied on his foot.

bdeg
03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
It's the ****in Raiders. How could anyone doubt that they would do anything at this point? They could draft a ****ing punter. It wouldn't be the first time they've spent a 1st round draft pick on a player who relied on his foot.

Like every player ever drafted?:p

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Alex Mack at 7?

I'm gonna go ahead and question that mock a little bit...SHE HAS ELECTROKINESIS AND CAN TURN INTO WATER

Plus, her sister was in Tiny House.

DaneMcCloud
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow.

Even Voyager's mocks weren't this bad.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Alex Mack at 7?

Al Davis is picking. Your argument does not hold here.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a hard time believing Alex Mack will be drafted before Stafford.

See above.

Frankie
03-04-2009, 02:25 PM

I question questioning anything Mecca says. He is one of the Gods of Football on this board. Just ask him.
:p

Frankie
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Alex Mack at 7

ROFL ROFL ROFL

There you go again!

Baby Lee
03-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Like a rock tied a bag full of feathers possessing the mass of another rock. Better? ROFL ROFL.

kysirsoze
03-04-2009, 02:29 PM
SHE HAS ELECTROKINESIS AND CAN TURN INTO WATER

Plus, her sister was in Tiny House.

LOL Nice.

istas
03-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Alex Mack at 7?

Why would it surprise you if he took a center at #7, after all, it is Al Davis and he did take a kicker in round 1 before.

htismaqe
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I think it's easy to see why Davis took Fatass or any of his other first round picks.

While it's not good value at #7, taking a center makes way too much sense for the Raiders. No way will they do it.

Cormac
03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
It would be ridiculous for the Saints to take Crabtree too. He might be value at that spot, but that's the Detroit Lions' failed plan.

Chief Faithful
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
So will Stafford be this years sap all dressed up in New York on national TV where the camera zooms on his expression as team after team passes on him?

morphius
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I think it's easy to see why Davis took Fatass or any of his other first round picks.

While it's not good value at #7, taking a center makes way too much sense for the Raiders. No way will they do it.
If what they consider the top WR is there, I would be shocked if Al didn't take him. Just my guess on Al's record, but that would be what I would expect.

Blick
03-04-2009, 03:50 PM
The Sporting News mock draft is one of the worst every year.

Mecca
03-04-2009, 04:03 PM
So will Stafford be this years sap all dressed up in New York on national TV where the camera zooms on his expression as team after team passes on him?

If he starts to fall very much teams like the Jets, Bucs and Vikings will piss themselves trying to trade up.

KChiefs1
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Stafford has been overrated all season.

wild1
03-04-2009, 05:30 PM
it might be a cheap trade-up this year, with the draft so weak at the top

bdeg
03-05-2009, 01:21 AM
So this has been updated. Here's the top 10:

1. Detroit Lions
Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2. St. Louis Rams
Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
3. Kansas City Chiefs
4. Seattle Seahawks
Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
5. Cleveland Browns
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
6. Cincinnati Bengals
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
7. Oakland Raiders
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
9. Green Bay Packers
Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
10. San Francisco 49ers
Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Notes
Raji is the next step in the Patriot-izing of the Chiefs. Kansas City already has New England’s quarterback in Matt Cassel; now it needs a big defensive tackle to anchor its new 3-4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=mockdrafteverettebrowncl&prov=tsn&type=lgns

jAZ
03-05-2009, 01:34 AM
3. Kansas City Chiefs

Notes
Raji is the next step in the Patriot-izing of the Chiefs. Kansas City already has New England’s quarterback in Matt Cassel; now it needs a big defensive tackle to anchor its new 3-4.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=mockdrafteverettebrowncl&prov=tsn&type=lgns

When I first read about B.J. Raji the other day, it seemed like a no-brainer that he would be our pick. Not sure why there wasn't more talk about him around here.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Russ is an interesting draft guy. The good: He's a former scout so he has good qualifications. He doesn't rely on what others say. He often finds some good dark-horse players.

The bad - because he marches to his own drum he is often way off on some of his picks and opinions. The Sporting News is generally a rag.
The Sporting News mock draft is one of the worst every year.

Everyone was saying the same kinda stuff 2 years ago when they had Brady Quinn falling to us at 23 too. These guys were the first to predict that, so I will give them some credit.

I also thought it was interesting to see in their rankings Britt > Maclin, and Alphonso Smith(WF) is their top CB.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Stafford has been overrated all season.

This.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
it might be a cheap trade-up this year, with the draft so weak at the top

Why should we trade up then?

Chiefnj2
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Everyone was saying the same kinda stuff 2 years ago when they had Brady Quinn falling to us at 23 too. These guys were the first to predict that, so I will give them some credit.

I also thought it was interesting to see in their rankings Britt > Maclin, and Alphonso Smith(WF) is their top CB.

His rankings are at least honest and based on his own opinion and review of games. He used to sell a draft guide that was pretty cool because it would list the games he reviewed in coming up with his opinions. Samples were posted on his website. IIRC, he had Tom Brady ranked as a 3rd rounder.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
When I first read about B.J. Raji the other day, it seemed like a no-brainer that he would be our pick. Not sure why there wasn't more talk about him around here.

Keep f***ing doubting Tank.

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Keep f***ing doubting Tank.

He has the size, but does he have the talent?

Furthermore, it's going to come down to where the value is at #3 if we can't trade down (and I fully expect Pioli to try with everything he has).

Brandon Albert is a REAL talent, much more so than Tank. If it comes down to Raji or an OT, they're going to take Raji IMO.

Mr. Krab
03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
I believe Sanchez got a bump because he threw at the combine and Stafford didn't. He'll recover as long as he has a decent Pro Day.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Actually if one of the QBs go before 3 Pioli will probably work on the 49ers and trade down with them so they make sure they'll get the other. :evil:

bdeg
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
He has the size, but does he have the talent?

Furthermore, it's going to come down to where the value is at #3 if we can't trade down (and I fully expect Pioli to try with everything he has).

Brandon Albert is a REAL talent, much more so than Tank. If it comes down to Raji or an OT, they're going to take Raji IMO.

What about Dorsey? Raji plays a lot like Dorsey did in college, do you think he could add enough weight to play it effectively? His speed won't be used well at DE either, and he's a better fit height-wise for NT.

beach tribe
03-05-2009, 09:29 AM
What about Dorsey? Raji plays a lot like Dorsey did in college, do you think he could add enough weight to play it effectively? His speed won't be used well at DE either, and he's a better fit height-wise for NT.

I've been wondering if Dorsey could put on 20 lbs. Seems like a lot.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Wasn't having him over a guard or center a big critisism last year?

beach tribe
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM

That was in a 4-3.

Frankie
03-05-2009, 09:32 AM
That was in a 4-3.

Yeah but the suggestion here is that he plays directly over a center.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Yes, at his current weight he's more of a liability than an impact player at that spot. But most 3-4 ends are around 300.

I've been wondering if Dorsey could put on 20 lbs. Seems like a lot.

Could be he was trying hard to keep it low to maintain quickness?

beach tribe
03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah but the suggestion here is that he plays directly over a center.

People wanted him(me included) to play undertackle. Shooting gaps. There is no spot on 3-4 front that does not play head up on someone. He's either head up on a C, or T.

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Stafford falling like a rock, Sanchez on top:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/avatar7293_21gif.jpg Look at this! Look at how right I was!

Now, I want everybody to take a week or two off and start practicing your celebratory dance moves for round one, April 25th, 2009!

DOOOO IT...http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/homeraxe.jpg :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTFCLMV3Cdc

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
That was in a 4-3.

It's about gap alignment. Dorsey struggled playing two-gap heads up on the G or C and that's a primary requirement in the 3-4.

I really just don't see an ideal spot for him in the 3-4.

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
People wanted him(me included) to play undertackle. Shooting gaps. There is no spot on 3-4 front that does not play head up on someone. He's either head up on a C, or T.

Yep. In a 3-4, the LB's shoot gaps, not the linemen.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Someone mentioned not all 3-4 teams ask their linemen to play 2 gaps(Cowboys). If we put Dorsey at end I'd rather have him shoot the g/t gap and just have the linebackers be aware of that.

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Someone mentioned not all 3-4 teams ask their linemen to play 2 gaps(Cowboys). If we put Dorsey at end I'd rather have him shoot the g/t gap and just have the linebackers be aware of that.

True, not all 3-4 defenses use a 2-gap alignment. But even in a 1-gap alignment, I believe the DE plays the 5 technique, whereas a 1-gap undertackle plays the 3. Does Dorsey have the leverage and quickness to play the 5? I wonder if he's tall/lengthy enough to do it.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Didn't realize that. But how does that work? Both DE's can't play the 5 with a 3 man line... Especially with the DT playing undertackle that is a huge gap in your line. The offense would have TGCG with noone lined up between them on the other side.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I think Dorsey has the power and quickness to play that spot, and I remember reading he has very long arms so leverage might work out too. But in that scheme would he be responsible for defending the run to the sideline?(along with the lb's of course) because he does not have the speed for that.

bowener
03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
So, is Stafford, in losing the "best QB in the draft" race, similar to him winning in russian roulette?

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 10:23 AM
So, is Stafford, in losing the "best QB in the draft" race, similar to him winning in russian roulette?

Nah. He'll go to whoever thinks he's right.

buddha
03-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Stafford has a big arm...he always has. The only problem is that he is no better than average on the field. He SHOULD drop in mock drafts. Sanchez had one really good game and was "okay" the rest of last year, but far from great. I don't care if you USC honks like hearing that or not. Deal with it! Any team that is considering drafting Stafford needs to watch the UGA v. UF game last season. That will convince you to do something else.

The paucity of QB talent in this draft is the only thing that drives these two guys anywhere near the top of the first round. They don't deserve to go that high. Sorry.

The criticism of the Cal center as a high round option is puzzling at best. Did any of you critics watch him play this year? Dude is an excellent center. Given how vital that position is at every level of football, I'd just as soon not see him go to Oakland.

Frankie

Or between G and T.

Reerun_KC

I wish our franchise was man enough to draft and develop a QB... I am happy with Cassel, but I want a championship....

Frankie
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
It's about gap alignment. Dorsey struggled playing two-gap heads up on the G or C and that's a primary requirement in the 3-4.

I really just don't see an ideal spot for him in the 3-4.

That's why we either stay at 4-3 or maybe try to trade him if some team from last year's draft is still in love with him.

Brock
03-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I am happy with Cassel

:LOL:

bdeg
03-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Or between G and T.

Possibly thing is that's very rare for a 3-4 and isn't really something you want to do within the scheme.

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Stafford has a big arm...he always has. The only problem is that he is no better than average on the field. He SHOULD drop in mock drafts. Sanchez had one really good game and was "okay" the rest of last year, but far from great. I don't care if you USC honks like hearing that or not. Deal with it! Any team that is considering drafting Stafford needs to watch the UGA v. UF game last season. That will convince you to do something else.

The paucity of QB talent in this draft is the only thing that drives these two guys anywhere near the top of the first round. They don't deserve to go that high. Sorry.

The criticism of the Cal center as a high round option is puzzling at best. Did any of you critics watch him play this year? Dude is an excellent center. Given how vital that position is at every level of football, I'd just as soon not see him go to Oakland.

Can I just "deal" with the fact that your take on Sanchez is complete and utter bullshit?

Thanks!:thumb:

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I am happy with Cassel, but I want a championship....

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Chiefnj2
03-05-2009, 10:40 AM
The Cards were a base 3-4 team but played a lot of 4-3 at times. Maybe Dorsey will flourish shooting the gap on a limited number of snaps per game.

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
The Cards were a base 3-4 team but played a lot of 4-3 at times. Maybe Dorsey will flourish shooting the gap on a limited number of snaps per game.

That's a possibility.

Sure seems a shame to use a #5 overall pick for THAT, but IMO it's going to be the fate of alot of Herm's picks unfortunately.

Mark M
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
True, not all 3-4 defenses use a 2-gap alignment. But even in a 1-gap alignment, I believe the DE plays the 5 technique, whereas a 1-gap undertackle plays the 3. Does Dorsey have the leverage and quickness to play the 5? I wonder if he's tall/lengthy enough to do it.

And that's the problem I have with those who want to move him to DE in a 3-4 -- not only does he lack DE speed, he also won't be able to get the leverage he needs due his stature. He'll simply get swallowed by guys who are 6" taller than he is.

It's really a damn shame. Dorsey has the potential to be a great DT in the right scheme. And the 3-4 just isn't that scheme. We'll see what they do with him, but ... I dunno.

MM
~~:shrug:

Chiefnj2
03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
That's a possibility.

Sure seems a shame to use a #5 overall pick for THAT, but IMO it's going to be the fate of alot of Herm's picks unfortunately.

If Pioli looked at tape and thought Dorsey, Tyler, McBride and Hali (Herm's 1st day DL) had the possibility of being a good DL I think he would have tried a 4-3. He must think they suck, which is why he's changing to a 3-4 and why he kept Krumrie.

buddha
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Can I just "deal" with the fact that your take on Sanchez is complete and utter bullshit?

Thanks!:thumb:

Whatever floats your boat, chief. However, you're free to provide evidence to the contrary. Since it doesn't exist, I suspect you'll continue down the bullshit trail.

Thanks! :thumb:

htismaqe
03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
If Pioli looked at tape and thought Dorsey, Tyler, McBride and Hali (Herm's 1st day DL) had the possibility of being a good DL I think he would have tried a 4-3. He must think they suck, which is why he's changing to a 3-4 and why he kept Krumrie.

I have to agree with you.

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Whatever floats your boat, chief. However, you're free to provide evidence to the contrary. Since it doesn't exist, I suspect you'll continue down the bullshit trail.

Thanks! :thumb:

"One really good game"? "Looked okay"? Please continue to recycle the same false talking points as the rest of mynah birds; it makes you look so cool!

It's good to know that people who don't want a first round Quarterback are also incredibly inept at evaluating their talent!

Way to go, Champ! :thumb:

Manila-Chief
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
FWIW ... 810 radio at noon had a draft guru from Houston and in discussing Dorsey said he tried to play too heavy last year. That he needs to drop some weight. They mentioned him playing DE and drafting the DT out of BC or the OT Moorel

Manila-Chief
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
"One really good game"? "Looked okay"? Please continue to recycle the same false talking points as the rest of mynah birds; it makes you look so cool!

It's good to know that people who don't want a first round Quarterback are also incredibly inept at evaluating their talent!

Way to go, Champ! :thumb:

I have a feeling (no facts, just watching the Rose Bowl and readin his info, back ground) that Sanchez in the correct program will be come an outstanding QB.

I'm happy with Cassel. I think he will do okay. But, I agree with you that it would have been nice to develop our own drafted QBOTF!!! He may have more talent than Cassel? He is about 5 years younger. Cassel wins us a SB, I'll not look back ... well, as someone said in another thread ... if he will just win us 1 playoff game I'll be happy!!!

keg in kc
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
FWIW ... 810 radio at noon had a draft guru from Houston and in discussing Dorsey said he tried to play too heavy last year. That he needs to drop some weight. They mentioned him playing DE and drafting the DT out of BC or the OT MoorelI heard that rumor somewhere else a while back, that Dorsey's actual playing weight last season was closer to 325, that the team asked him to bulk up, but there hasn't been very much talk about that. I believe it, though.

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a feeling (no facts, just watching the Rose Bowl and readin his info, back ground) that Sanchez in the correct program will be come an outstanding QB.

I'm happy with Cassel. I think he will do okay. But, I agree with you that it would have been nice to develop our own drafted QBOTF!!! He may have more talent than Cassel? He is about 5 years younger. Cassel wins us a SB, I'll not look back ... well, as someone said in another thread ... if he will just win us 1 playoff game I'll be happy!!!

Thanks for pointing that out; I didn't know what the differential was. And now that I know, I'm sticking to my guns more than ever.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
We are almost certainly going to play a 2-gap 3-4, none of the coaches from the Parcells/Belichick coaching tree use a 1 gap system. That's used in the 3-4 utilized by Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan.

redngold85
03-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I love this

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
That's a possibility.

It's a shame, but what's done is done. That pick is already a spent cost, you can't determine the future of the team based on a mistake you may have already made.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
We are almost certainly going to play a 2-gap 3-4

But who says it has to be pure?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-05-2009, 03:25 PM
FWIW ... 810 radio at noon had a draft guru from Houston and in discussing Dorsey said he tried to play too heavy last year. That he needs to drop some weight. They mentioned him playing DE and drafting the DT out of BC or the OT Moorel

That guy was a moron. He said a lot of really stupid stuff during that interview, mainly, not only drafting Monroe, but having him play right tackle as the #3 pick in the draft.

Reaper16
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
It's a shame, but what's done is done. That pick is already a spent cost, you can't determine the future of the team based on a mistake you may have already made.
Drafting Dorsey was by no means a mistake.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Drafting Dorsey was by no means a mistake.

I said may. It's too early to tell if it was a mistake, it is far from being certain either way.

But Dorsey had a poor rookie season, and if he fails to perform in the 3-4, then it was a mistake. I don't know how you could possibly claim with such certainty that it was the right move.

Darth CarlSatan
03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I love this

I'll have me some 2009 Lotus Esprit please:
(In Black)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/lotus21.jpg

Reaper16
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
I said may. It's too early to tell if it was a mistake, it is far from being certain either way.

But Dorsey had a poor rookie season, and if he fails to perform in the 3-4, then it was a mistake. I don't know how you could possibly claim with such certainty that it was the right move.
It was the right move because he was a tremendous prospect. Do prospects bust? Yeah. Though we can't say that about Dorsey yet, for a number of reasons.

But to say it was a mistake if he fails to perform in a defensive scheme that he has no position in? That's crazy-talk. When he was drafted, the organization had no idea that a 3-4 scheme would be implemented only a year later.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
It was the right move because he was a tremendous prospect. Do prospects bust? Yeah. Though we can't say that about Dorsey yet, for a number of reasons.

But to say it was a mistake if he fails to perform in a defensive scheme that he has no position in? That's crazy-talk. When he was drafted, the organization had no idea that a 3-4 scheme would be implemented only a year later.

It's far from clear that Dorsey would succeed in a 4-3 either. But I was talking about with the benefit of hindsight, not the decision making on draft day. If Dorsey doesn't succeed in the 3-4, then it was a wasted pick, but one that's already been spent. That was my point.

Reaper16
03-05-2009, 04:03 PM
It's far from clear that Dorsey would succeed in a 4-3 either. But I was talking about with the benefit of hindsight, not the decision making on draft day. If Dorsey doesn't succeed in the 3-4, then it was a wasted pick, but one that's already been spent. That was my point.
I see what you're saying.

I'm just a stickler for word meaning. I would have no problem calling it a wasted pick, but I can't in good consciousness call it a mistake. To call it a mistake would be to say that teams should always consider what scheme they could adopt, potentially, in the future to see if the player could make a transition to it.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I see what you're saying.

I'm just a stickler for word meaning. I would have no problem calling it a wasted pick, but I can't in good consciousness call it a mistake. To call it a mistake would be to say that teams should always consider what scheme they could adopt, potentially, in the future to see if the player could make a transition to it.

Fair enough. I suppose wasted pick is a better term for what I was trying to say.

Reaper16
03-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Fair enough. I supposed wasted pick is a better term for what I was trying to say.I think it is, too. "Mistake" implies that the team's draft methodology & reasons for drafting Dorsey were incorrect, which I don't think they were.

Mr. Krab
03-05-2009, 04:13 PM
I could see the Chiefs trying to trade down a few spots and drafting DT B.J Raji so that Dorsey can slide over and attack the guard/tackle gap and stunt.

Our defense line would be

RDE/OLB - Vrabel/Johnston/Draft?
DT - Dorsey/Boone
NT - Raji/Tyler
LDE - Boone/Hali/McBride

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hali get cut.

Basileus777
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I could see the Chiefs trying to trade down a few spots and drafting DT B.J Raji so that Sims can slide over and attack the guard/tackle gap and stunt.

Our defense line would be

RDE/OLB - Vrabel/Johnston/Draft?
DT - Dorsey/Boone
NT - Raji/Tyler
LDE - Boone/Hali/McBride

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hali get cut.

Freudian slip or just a stealth troll?

Mr. Krab
03-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Freudian slip or just a stealth troll?ouch :doh!:

Frankie
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM

This is just a gut feeling thing. But I get this annoying feeling if the Chiefs are really switching to 3-4, we should perhaps consider trading him while he will still bring a top 15 pick. I really can't see him fitting a 3-4 scheme in the NFL. If he does not perform well next year, we will have an LJ part 2 regret episode. That said I hope I am wrong about him.

milkman
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Sanchez played his best games against the best teams on the Trojans' schedule, throwing 11 TDs and 1 pick against OSU, Oregon and Penn St.

Go back and look at all the centers taken high in the draft.

Centers and guards are routinely found in the mid to late rounds.

58-4ever
03-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Sanchez played his best games against the best teams on the Trojans' schedule, throwing 11 TDs and 1 pick against OSU, Oregon and Penn St.

Go back and look at all the centers taken high in the draft.

Centers and guards are routinely found in the mid to late rounds.

See Will Shields

bdeg
03-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Al Davis is more likely than anyone to draft a bust. That said, Mack, besides not being good value at that slot, appears to be one of the safest picks in the draft. So I'd rather they not take him. Let them draft Orakpo or whoever had the fastest 40.

MIAdragon
03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Matthew Stafford-QB-Player Mar. 9 - 2:37 pm et

Georgia QB Matthew Stafford reportedly gave a "world-class performance" during a boardroom session with teams at the Scouting Combine.

Stafford allegedly answered questions confidently and quickly. Despite being an underclassman, this may help convince teams Stafford is ready to play sooner than later. He's still very much in the mix to be taken No. 1 overall.
Source: jaguars.com