PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Chutney

AustinChief
03-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok, I normally eat Scotch eggs with a spicy mango chutney... BUT this time I have all the ingredients to make scotch eggs and no chutney...

so.. I am looking to tap the Planet cooking expertise and see if anyone know a good replacement for mango chutney? I have a ton of spices/sauces/jams... so I am considering making something new...

any ideas?

(for those who don't know ... a scotch egg is a hard boiled egg, wrapped in breakfast sausage, rolled in breadcrumbs and then baked)

Mr. Flopnuts
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
That sounds really fuckin good.

penguinz
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Ketchup

Mr. Flopnuts
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I met this chick at the bar last night. Before I left she was tugging on my chutney.

BigChiefFan
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_PkdSil-98

AustinChief
03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
ok, here is what I am thinkin.....

Take raspberry jam, add chopped roasted jalapeno and chopped roasted garlic. mix in a dash of white wine and then spice with cayenne and maybe a dash of tiger sauce.

Does that sound about right?

Baby Lee
03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, I normally eat Scotch eggs with a spicy mango chutney... BUT this time I have all the ingredients to make scotch eggs and no chutney...

so.. I am looking to tap the Planet cooking expertise and see if anyone know a good replacement for mango chutney? I have a ton of spices/sauces/jams... so I am considering making something new...

any ideas?

(for those who don't know ... a scotch egg is a hard boiled egg, wrapped in breakfast sausage, rolled in breadcrumbs and then baked)

Patak's Mango Relish. I have three in the pantry.

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/6/1253//Pataks%20Mango.jpg

Oh, and;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/images/400/keith03.jpg

Donger
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Scotch eggs require nothing else. Well, perhaps gas masks for those around you a few hours later.

BigChiefFan
03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
This isn't Chutney, but it's damn good and kind of looks like something you might find interesting. I found it on allrecipes.com

Jalapeno Jelly SUBMITTED BY: Sue Delgrego PHOTO BY: MELY C.

"This recipe came from the Black Lakes in Canada. It is the best that I have ever tasted, and very easy to make."

RECIPE RATING:

--------------------------------------------------

PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 45 Min
READY IN 1 Hr 5 Min
Original recipe yield 2 - (8 ounce) jars

SERVINGS (Help)
Servings
US METRIC

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 large green bell pepper
12 jalapeno peppers
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 pinch salt
4 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces liquid pectin
4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped

DIRECTIONS
Combine the green bell pepper and 12 jalapeno peppers in the container of a food processor or blender. Process until finely chopped. This can be done in batches, if the peppers do not fit.
Transfer the peppers to a large saucepan, and stir in the cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the mixture through at least 2 layers of cheesecloth, and discard pulp. You should have about 1 cup of liquid.
Return the liquid to the saucepan, and stir in the salt and sugar until dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When the mixture comes to a rolling boil (one that cannot be stirred down), boil for one minute, then stir in the liquid pectin.
Stir in the remaining jalapeno peppers, and ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal jars in a hot water bath. Refrigerate jelly after seal is broken.

Try it with cream cheese and your scotch egg.

AustinChief
03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Patak's Mango Relish. I have three in the pantry.

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/6/1253//Pataks%20Mango.jpg

yeah, trying to work with what I have on hand, normally I just buy a good spicy mango chutney... but wanna see if I can make something comparable with what I have

Baby Lee
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
This isn't Chutney, but it's damn good and kind of looks like something you might find interesting. I found it on allrecipes.com
Jalapeno Jelly, Cream Cheese and Water Crackers, FTW!!!!

tooge
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
if its not scotish is crrrrraaaap

HonestChieffan
03-04-2009, 03:46 PM
1 chopped apple
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup of brandy
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon powdered yellow mustard
1/2 cup dry red wine...

cook slowww and reduce till you have a chutney of the consistancy you want...

AustinChief
03-06-2009, 03:57 PM
ok, here is what I made....

I'm still not sure what to think, it is sooo different that my taste buds haven't decided to like it or hate it yet.

Ok,

chopped 1 clove barlic
chopped 10 huge sprigs of mint
chopped 8 jalapenos

mixed together and lightly roasted.

put in blender

added 5 tablespoons raspberry jam to blender
added 1 tbsp strwaberry jam
2 tbsp white wine

cayenne to taste

blended and put in frisge to set up

So far, you taste the berries right off, then the mint and then the jalapeno kicks in.

My neighbor likes it, but she likes anything I give her.

Opinions?

luv
03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
ok, here is what I made....

I'm still not sure what to think, it is sooo different that my taste buds haven't decided to like it or hate it yet.

Ok,

chopped 1 clove barlic
chopped 10 huge sprigs of mint
chopped 8 jalapenos

mixed together and lightly roasted.

put in blender

added 5 tablespoons raspberry jam to blender
added 1 tbsp strwaberry jam
2 tbsp white wine

cayenne to taste

blended and put in frisge to set up

So far, you taste the berries right off, then the mint and then the jalapeno kicks in.

My neighbor likes it, but she likes anything I give her.

Opinions?

Holy crap. Sounds good (I think) minus the mint. That's just personal preference though. How on earth did you decide on that combination? The garlic would throw me for a loop on that one, too. Spicy and sweet are a good combination. Garlic just sounds out there.

NewChief
03-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Jezebel sauce might be pretty good on that as well. We serve it with pork pretty often:

* 1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
* 1 (10 ounce) jar pineapple fruit preserves
* 1 (8 ounce) jar prepared horseradish
* 1 tablespoon ground dry mustard
* 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

I usually make green (cilantro/mint) chutneys.

AustinChief
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Holy crap. Sounds good (I think) minus the mint. That's just personal preference though. How on earth did you decide on that combination? The garlic would throw me for a loop on that one, too. Spicy and sweet are a good combination. Garlic just sounds out there.

The garlic is just hinted at... it is a bit heavy on the mint, but that is cut almost immediately by the jalapeno/cayenne flavour

That combo was based on the "crap I have at the house" system of cooking.

Now, I am gonna try to see if I have enout crap to make a more savory/spicy sauce... maybe a jalapeno mustard of some sort.

Simply Red
03-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey man, another good chutney recipe if you google 'chutney rotisserie chicken-salad' recipe.

EyePod
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Isn't Chutney the name of the daughter who murdered her father in Legally Blonde (this, Sister Act, and Sister Act 2 are my guilty pleasure movies; I just can't help but to watch if they are on, and they're on A LOT)?

redngold85
03-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa