PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Magic Jack......anyone have it?

rad
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I just got mine in the mail. Haven't hooked it up yet. I have 30 days trial period to decide if I want to keep it. Not a bad deal- $20 for the device and $20 for a year of service....

Anybody have this? Is it worth it?

http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp

the Talking Can
03-04-2009, 05:33 PM
i have a pocket #*@!!...no service fee

rad
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
i have a pocket #*@!!...no service fee

Huh?

keg in kc
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
The first 15 seconds of that video were about the dumbest low-rent crap I think I've ever seen (which is saying something as an editor who specializes in dumb low-rent crap), so I have no idea what it is or what it's for, because I killed the whole page after that.

Boise_Chief
03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Google majic jack and read what some other users think. I personally wouldn't install one on anything but a standalone machine that I do not use for anything else.

ncCHIEFfan
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
dude I have been using magic jack for about 6 months and I have very few problems and for $20 a year, can't beat it

rad
03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
The first 15 seconds of that video were about the dumbest low-rent crap I think I've ever seen (which is saying something as an editor who specializes in dumb low-rent crap), so I have no idea what it is or what it's for, because I killed the whole page after that.

Well, all it is is a device that allows you to have a house phone through your computer.

rad
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Google majic jack and read what some other users think. I personally wouldn't install one on anything but a standalone machine that I do not use for anything else.

I value CP opinion more than google....:D

Boise_Chief
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Read the fine print in terms of service. They are allowed to access and use any information contained on your computer. No thanks...

rad
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
dude I have been using magic jack for about 6 months and I have very few problems and for $20 a year, can't beat it

That's what I was thinking.....$20 per YEAR....I could dump my Triple Play package through TWC and just pay for internet and TV.......save about 40 or 50 bucks a month.

Priest31kc
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep Ive had it for about 3 months now. Definetely worth it. Saves ALOT of money. But Im sure as you already know you have to be online for it to work, so lets say your internet goes out, then you cant make calls. But yes for 20 dollars a YEAR, awesome deal.

rockymtnchief
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Keep in mind, if you don't have back-up power, you won't have phone in a power outage. Land line phones have their own power and cell phones can be recharged in your cigarette lighter.

rad
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Read the fine print in terms of service. They are allowed to access and use any information contained on your computer. No thanks...

Where?

rad
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Yep Ive had it for about 3 months now. Definetely worth it. Saves ALOT of money. But Im sure as you already know you have to be online for it to work, so lets say your internet goes out, then you cant make calls. But yes for 20 dollars a YEAR, awesome deal.

Keep in mind, if you don't have back-up power, you won't have phone in a power outage. Land line phones have their own power and cell phones can be recharged in your cigarette lighter.

I have cable phone now, so I'm used to that. It's just that I'm paying for it.

ncCHIEFfan
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
yeah I still have the cell phone but it is good to have a home phone

rad
03-04-2009, 06:05 PM

You mean this?

Our computers may analyze the phone numbers and your registration information you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.

Boise_Chief
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
That is just the phone part of it, that they will monitor who you call to target the advertising to you. They also are able to monitor contents of computer. Here is an article on it, I'm not planning on reading the entire TOS but just be careful.
http://broadband-nation.blogspot.com/2008/10/real-problems-with-magic-jack-is-majic.html

wild1
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/magic_jack_complaints

andoman
03-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I tried it but didn't get very far. Every time I plugged it in my computer locked up. Their technical support was worthless. I sent it back the next day.

bishop_74
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Buy yourself a Skype phone number for $50/year and get a Skype phone or use your computer. Don't waste your money on this garbage.