PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Mock Draft (3/3/09)

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Didn't see this...sorry if repost.

Mock Draft: Everette Brown climbs to the top
By Russ Lande - SportingNews
10 hours, 17 minutes ago

Buzz up!0 votes PrintThere’s a new surprise No. 1 in Sporting News’ NFL Mock Draft, and it’s defensive end Everett Brown. The Florida State standout would be a boost to a Detroit Lions defense looking to be overhauled by their new coach, former Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

The new mock draft, prepared for Sporting News’ Pro Football War Room by Russ Lande and his staff, once again includes big changes in the wake of the NFL Scouting Combine and recent free-agent frenzy.

Here is a look at the latest projected top 10 picks for the 2009 NFL draft. To see the rest of the mock first round and entire mock second round, visit SportingNews.com’s Pro Football War Room:

1. Detroit Lions
Everette Brown, DE, Florida State
2. St. Louis Rams
Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
3. Kansas City Chiefs
B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
4. Seattle Seahawks
Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
5. Cleveland Browns
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
6. Cincinnati Bengals
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
7. Oakland Raiders
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
9. Green Bay Packers
Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
10. San Francisco 49ers
Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

ADVERTISEMENT

Notes

Why Brown at No. 1? The Lions believe they have too many holes to grab a quarterback with the top pick, so they gamble on Brown becoming a pass rusher in the mold of Dwight Freeney.

Baylor’s Smith emerges as draft’s best offensive tackle. The Rams need one to replace Orlando Pace, who is likely to be released soon. Smith, who is coming off a good pro day Tuesday, has more upside than Virginia’s Monroe. Monroe is needed to replace Levi Jones in Cincinnati to protect Carson Palmer, and Andre Smith is needed to replace Khalif Barnes to protect David Garrard.

Raji is the next step in the Patriot-izing of the Chiefs. Kansas City already has New England’s quarterback in Matt Cassel; now it needs a big defensive tackle to anchor its new 3-4.

‘Hawks can pass on Crabtree. With the signing of former Bengal T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seattle can now afford to focus on defense with the fourth pick.

Why Stafford to the Browns? Cleveland has quarterbacks Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, but as long neither stands out to coach Eric Mangini, the team really has none. Mangini can attach himself to the franchise of QB of his choosing.

Raiders can’t pass on Crabtree. Oakland is short on consistent, athletic playmakers, especially a big-time No. 1 receiver for big-armed JaMarcus Russell. But will an un-dazzling 40 time keep Al Davis away?

Packers stick with English. It’s the only thing that stayed the same from the previous mock draft, as Green Bay has been quiet in signing edge-rushing veterans for its move to the 3-4.

Sanchez goes from 1 to 10. The 49ers had only Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to choose from, but after they sign former Chief Damon Huard and potentially draft the USC star, it will help Mike Singletary single out a starter.

What of big names not in the top 10? Ohio State running back Chris Wells goes at No. 16, to the Chargers, as the eventual replacement to LaDainian Tomlinson, and then the Patriots get a marquee runner in Georgia’s Knowshown Moreno at 23. … The Jets now should nab Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin at No. 17 to help replace Laveranues Coles. … At No. 26, the Ravens are tied with Florida star Percy Harvin, added much-needed firepower around Joe Flacco.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande evaluates college players for the Sporting News’ Pro Football War Room and GM Jr. Scouting LLC.

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 06:39 AM
1. Lions - Everette Brown
2. Rams - Jason Smith
3. Chiefs - B.J. Raji

Everette Brown on top now?? Further proof that the "analysts" have no friggin clue what is going to happen this year.

chiefs1111
03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Larry English at number 9????

kc rush
03-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Why Brown at No. 1? The Lions believe they have too many holes to grab a quarterback with the top pick, so they gamble on Brown becoming a pass rusher in the mold of Dwight Freeney.

Since one of their many holes is at QB, why wouldn't they take that position? This drafting out of fear really drives me nuts.

Frosty
03-05-2009, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty sure that bdeg made this mock. :)

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Since one of their many holes is at QB, why wouldn't they take that position? This drafting out of fear really drives me nuts.

I suppose if you are going to spend that much money on a QB you better make damn sure you have a line to protect him.

Maybe they don't, that's the only thing I can figure.

But why not draft Oline in that case, not a DE/OLB??

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Larry English at number 9????

Surprised me too.

Last I saw he was a mid 2nd rounder. I know his stock rose at the combine, but I didn't know it catapulted him into the 1st round

BigCatDaddy
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
If they have Brown as #1, maybe us taking him at #3 isn't that far fetched.

Molitoth
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
They just guess until one of their mocks is right.

It's like buying all the lottery tickets so you can brag that you won.

chiefforlife
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I am sure Cleveland is looking for ANOTHER QB at the 5 spot...:rolleyes:

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
If they have Brown as #1, maybe us taking him at #3 isn't that far fetched.

I kind of like our pick on this draft.

I would be happy with Raji.

It would just be a shame that we spent 2 top 5 picks on a DT

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
They just guess until one of their mocks is right.

It's like buying all the lottery tickets so you can brag that you won.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I am sure Cleveland is looking for ANOTHER QB at the 5 spot...:rolleyes:

There has been rumors of sending Quinn somewhere, but I can't remember where. If that's the case i could see it, but not if Quinn stays.

chiefforlife
03-05-2009, 09:12 AM
There has been rumors of sending Quinn somewhere, but I can't remember where. If that's the case i could see it, but not if Quinn stays.

I heard Quinn and Rogers to Denver for Cutler, aint gonna happen though.

bdeg
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that bdeg made this mock. :)

:thumb:

Really though, I think the big question in this mock is what caused Sanchez to drop from 1 to 10 in only a few days? Supposedly this guy does his own work so his rankings should be more stable than that right? Unless something changed or he hadn't finished his eval.

And it would just be too funny for Cleveland to draft another QB, not sure I'd put it past the genius though. Stafford #1, Sanchez #4 to Seattle, Freeman to CLE at 5? :)

PhillyChiefFan
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Jennings dropped out of the top 10 all the sudden too.

Did he have a bad combine?

Halfcan
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I dont see us tying up big backs in 2 tackles.

googlegoogle
03-08-2009, 09:11 PM
WOW. That mock goes out on a limb.