PDA

View Full Version : Life *rant* I need to find the engineer who designed the transmission...

pr_capone
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
... of my 04 Sportster.

I want to kick that son of a bitch square in the nuts.

Ok... so my transmission fluid goes in one of two ways. I can either remove the derby cover or there is a service tab that I can pour into with a funnel. Well, I was forced to remove the derby cover because my transmission has made a funny noise the past few days and I wanted to take a look around.

Well... when it comes time to put everything back together I have to put this large o-ring back in place so that my fluid does not leak out.

The downside is that the asshole who designed the transmission and derby covers thought it would be a fantastic idea to make the slightest of grooves where the o-ring is supposed to be held in place.

Guess what?

There is no way in hell that an o-ring will ever stay in place in that little groove and getting everything put together is all a mixture of luck and hand eye coordination to put the derby cover back in place before the ****ing o-ring falls out for the 15th time.

I fucking felt like Indiana Jones with the idol in one hand and the bag of sand in the other.

#$@%*!@#$*@#$%@#$^*@#$^@(#$^(@$)%@*%@#

So I get it all back together, or so I think, and start pulling out for a test ride when my wife tells me to stop.

Sure enough, as soon as I picked up the bike and turned it on... transmission fluid is leaking all over the place.

WHO THE **** DESIGNED THIS PIECE OF SHIT?!?!?

Back to square one. After several more tries, I think I have it squared away. Gonna go check it in an hour or so and look for leaks.

I now dread the day I have to pull that thing apart completely to replace the clutch.

EyePod
03-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I bet robots put it together a lot better. Are you anti-union now?

pr_capone
03-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I bet robots put it together a lot better. Are you anti-union now?

I'm sure that robots put it together and that is fine n dandy by me... I'm wanting to find the prick that designed this shit.

Baconeater
03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
A few years ago I agreed to change the oil in a car belonging to one of my wife's friends. Well I fucked up and drained the goddamn transmission fluid instead of the oil, and I ended up having to go to the fucking Toyota dealer the next day for a gallon their fucking special goddamned Toyota transmission fluid that cost me around $25 goddamned dollars.

So the moral of the story is I'd like to find the guy who designed that car so the first thing you see when you look under it is the goddamned sump for the tranny, and kick him square in the nuts.

EyePod
03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
BTW, here's a post I found over at a bike forum:

Unless I'm needing to adjust the clutch, I never pull the derby cover. Just measure up the recommended amount, and pour in thru the inspection cover.

Maybe next time, try that first, and if it doesn't work, then pull the cover?

pr_capone
03-05-2009, 08:44 PM
BTW, here's a post I found over at a bike forum:

"Unless I'm needing to adjust the clutch, I never pull the derby cover. Just measure up the recommended amount, and pour in thru the inspection cover."

Maybe next time, try that first, and if it doesn't work, then pull the cover?

Well, I was forced to remove the derby cover because my transmission has made a funny noise the past few days and I wanted to take a look around.

tl;dr?

PHOG
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Get a sticky substance (petroleum jelly,for instance), lightly coat the o-ring with it, insert it into the small groove, apply derby cover, no problems...like the old commercial, no drips no runs no errors....

pr_capone
03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Get a sticky substance (petroleum jelly,for instance), lightly coat the o-ring with it, insert it into the small groove, apply derby cover, no problems...like the old commercial, no drips no runs no errors....

oh really?

i wish I had listened better when my dad was trying to teach me about cars and motorcycles back in the day.

I'll have to remember that if I ever have to pull that cover off again.

thanks PHOG

PHOG
03-05-2009, 08:59 PM
oh really?

i wish I had listened better when my dad was trying to teach me about cars and motorcycles back in the day.

I'll have to remember that if I ever have to pull that cover off again.

thanks PHOG

No problem, I've learnt from experience (or some very good friends' advice if I couldn't figure it out)....