pr_capone
03-05-2009, 11:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3954441

Cowboys release safety Williams
Comment Email Print Share
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Archive

Two days ago, Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams publicly requested his release from the club.

On Thursday, he was granted his wish.

Just one day after jettisoning wide receiver Terrell Owens, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones maintained the trend of pink slips for his high-profile players by terminating Williams' contract. The move, first reported by The Dallas Morning News and confirmed through league sources, makes Williams a free agent and puts a youthful and still-productive defensive player on the open market.

Williams, 28, was the Cowboys' first-round pick in the 2002 draft, from Oklahoma.

The seven-year veteran, a fixture in the Dallas interior secondary, was named to five Pro Bowl teams and one All-Pro squad. During his career with the Cowboys, Williams collected 611 tackles, 6 sacks, 19 interceptions and 56 passes defensed.

Blessed with the instincts of a safety and the hitting power of a linebacker, Williams was often a liability in pass coverage. He was at his best playing close to the line of scrimmage and was an effective defender versus the run.

Williams recently signed a $25 million contract extension, which included an $11 million signing bonus. His departure saves the Cowboys about $1 million in salary-cap room.

Anyone here against bringing in a 5 time Pro-Bowler?

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
He sucks

Mecca
03-05-2009, 11:46 PM
He's fat and slow.

The Buddha
03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
He'll lay the f*cking hammer down... that's for sure. People would FEAR going across the middle with him on the field.

But, he does have coverage issues... But then again, he'd still be an improvement.

Oh wait, I'm just supposed to say, "The deal is done."

cdcox
Horse collared.

The Buddha
He's fat and slow.

Roy Williams = Sammy Knight - 10 years?

unothadeal
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Is he even much of a leader? That's the only reason a guy like him should be brought in.

MadMax
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
He hasn't played for the Patriots yet.

tboss27
03-05-2009, 11:51 PM
If the 5 time Pro-Bowler can't out-run most of the members of CP, then yes I have a problem with it.

Thig Lyfe
03-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone here against bringing in a 5 time Pro-Bowler?

Oooh! Oooh! Me! Pick me!

pr_capone
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Oooh! Oooh! Me! Pick me!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/alexdagrouch/choo.jpg

The Buddha
03-06-2009, 12:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/alexdagrouch/choo.jpg

Rep for 1st or 2nd season Simpsons joke...

Ralph is such a badass :-)

skky man
03-06-2009, 12:59 AM
He could be a role player against the run and short pass on 1st and 2nd downs! He couldn't get to the qb anyless than what we had last year.

btlook1
03-06-2009, 01:07 AM
He's fat and slow.

Well said, he's a liability in pass coverage! We don't need him..stick with the young guys at least they can get better and aren't past their prime.

BWillie
03-06-2009, 01:12 AM
If the 5 time Pro-Bowler can't out-run most of the members of CP, then yes I have a problem with it.

Well you shouldn't have a problem with it then. He'd smoke 98% of all chiefs planet posters. And he's slow by NFL standards.

The Buddha
03-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Well you shouldn't have a problem with it then. He'd smoke 98% of all chiefs planet posters. And he's slow by NFL standards.

I can run a 3.9-40... in pads.

Simply Red
03-06-2009, 01:32 AM
He sucks

+ he's probably gay.

The Buddha
03-06-2009, 01:36 AM
"Maybe since he sucks in coverage we could put him as a 3-4 OLB!"

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 02:08 AM
If we're gonna' be all weirded out, minimum risk, and stupid this year, I want Bernard Pollard to have a shot at being possibly coached by someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

Some of you guys wanna' "Homer Up" for Matt Cassel?
Well then I'm taking MY pick too.

crazycoffey
03-06-2009, 03:18 AM
He's fat and slow..

7 years removed from college and has 5 pro-bowls under his belt....
but mecca says; he's fat and slow, guess nobody touches him now.

Listen, I don't want him, but he's a great player. anyone says different is a moron. If you think he's fat and slow you shouldn't ever talk about football ever again. seriously, you are an idiot

Mecca
03-06-2009, 03:30 AM

Listen, I don't want him, but he's a great player. anyone says different is a moron. If you think he's fat and slow you shouldn't ever talk about football ever again. seriously, you are an idiot

I'd love for you to find me one person that doesn't think he's fat and slow...

He went to the pro bowl due to his name he was good his rookie year and has done nothing but get worse since.

He's fat, he's slow, he's a liability in coverage and he completely sucks at doing anything a DB is suppose to do.

Reerun_KC
03-06-2009, 03:34 AM

Actually they were talking about the same issues on the Sports Animal here in OKC today... RW is a God and legend around here, but they were talking about how he has dropped off in speed dramatically the last two years. How the Redskins used Santana Moss to basically just rent RW. Also said if it was 1960, RW would be a stud, but he cant cover anybody anymore... To slow and injury prone anymore...

They would be surprised if someone signed him to start... Maybe convert him to a situational OLB or something... I will call the OU radio guys in the morning and tell them they are idiots for saying the same thing as alot of people are saying...

Mecca
03-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Let me show you some things being said about Roy Williams by Cowboys fans and the like over the past year or so...

Williams is a constant topic of scrutiny because of the inexplicable slide his career has taken in Dallas, and his woeful response.

But now as the Cowboys prepare to christen a $1 billion stadium in 2009, there's a good chance Williams won't be around for the grand opening.
. . . .
I learned that former secondary coach Clancy Pendergast, now the defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, had serious concerns about Williams' ability to learn the defense. When he traveled to the Oklahoma campus and put Williams on the dry erase board, he quickly learned that it would be a difficult transition for the college All American. Veteran scout Jim Hess, a former college coach, agreed with Pendergast's assessment.

Terence Newman: Roy Williams gets 'deer-in-headlights' look

I just think sometimes he gets a deer-in-the-headlights type of reaction to some plays. Not everybody's going to have a perfect season. He had a bad season last year, as far as coverage.

Tuesday Conversation with Darren Woodson

In the past, Woodson has been one of Williams' biggest defenders, but during our 30-minute conversation Saturday, he seemed genuinely worried about the former first-round draft choice. In the column, Woodson blames himself for not teaching Williams more when he had the chance.
. . . .
The other thing Woodson's concerned about is that he's hearing Williams is the first one to leave the facility after practices. It's certainly not the player he knew. "I can't see it," he said. "I used to make his [expletive] sit there and watch film after practice."

Cowboys ex defends embattled Williams

But even Woodson admitted, "I think his focus is still on wanting to be the big hitter."

Since the NFL office folks began fining Williams for crash-dummy hits, and then legislated against the horsecollar tackle (aka The Roy Williams Rule), Williams hasn't been the same player.

And his approval rating has plummeted.

Roy Williams is a perfect older-generation strong safety.

Problem is, the game has changed significantly since those days, and everyone in the defensive backfield needs good coverage instincts now.

the Talking Can
03-06-2009, 04:20 AM

he's not a great player, and he's been a freaking abomination in coverage for the last two years, at least....

i have no idea how he made 5 probowls other than the fact that he played for dallas....

Mile High Mania
03-06-2009, 04:31 AM
Dude is 28... 5 time pro-bowler and Jones couldn't find a willing partner via trade... even if the cap # is tough to swallow, a team would have traded for him if he were a badass. I live in Dallas and fans/media have bashed him routinely for years.

BigRedChief
03-06-2009, 06:05 AM
Is he even much of a leader? That's the only reason a guy like him should be brought in.
What about having a hot wife?

Reerun_KC
03-06-2009, 06:32 AM
What about having a hot wife?

Dude isnt married is he?

PunkinDrublic
03-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Dude is 28... 5 time pro-bowler and Jones couldn't find a willing partner via trade... even if the cap # is tough to swallow, a team would have traded for him if he were a badass. I live in Dallas and fans/media have bashed him routinely for years.

I'll second what MHM is saying. The fans and media here in Dallas have wanted to get rid of Roy Williams for years. The guy is a liability in the secondary. I don't think Scott will be dumb enough to waste our time with this guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Roy Williams has routinely been one of the worst safeties in football. I said it in the other thread, but he makes Pollard look like Polamalu.

BigRedChief
03-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Dude isnt married is he?
Isn't he married to a Destiny's Child singer?

Blick
03-06-2009, 07:54 AM

Are you an OU homer? Everyone knows Williams sucks in coverage and only has five Pro Bowls because of name recognition playing for big D.

Chief Roundup
03-06-2009, 08:42 AM
no thanks

Goapics1
03-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Isn't he married to a Destiny's Child singer?

That's Jay-Z not Roy Williams.

sedated
03-06-2009, 09:01 AM
move him and Pollard to LB

jimhitter
03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Hes not even worth a look at safety. Is similar to Jerome Woods at the end of his career, too slow for nfl standards. Previous posters are correct, someone has to make the pro bowl roster from the cowboys. His rep started when cowboys sucked, and he was a hard hitting safety.

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
That's Jay-Z not Roy Williams.

I thought Jay-Z was married to LJ?

notorious
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought Jay-Z was married to LJ?

ROFL

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Here's one to help you get your Friday chuckle on......

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80ef0181&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true&campaign=email_NL0306_seg1