PDA

View Full Version : A Trade Down Scenario

Coogs
03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Just for the heck of it, I put together a little scenario of draft picks. If there happened to be a player there at #3 that the Eagles would covet, would you consider this... or would you be more inclined to stay put and take just 1 player?

Philly has 12 draft picks this year. 4 of them are in the 5th round (Cleveland, Jets, own, NE)

Swap #3 for #21, #28, and 3 of the 5ths. Points wise that translates to around 1550 on the points chart which is about the equivalent of the 6th pick in the 1st round.

If you look at the top 150 prospect boards, there could be several good players in the 5th round that our team could use.

I know it is far fetched that anyone would want to trade up to #3, but Philly seems to be the only team with the ammo to really do something like this. Yea or nay if this was ever a possibility?

I might go yes. :shrug:

allen_kcCard
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Considering that there isn't a drop dead homerun for the chiefs at #3, sure I'd take that, but there is no way the Eagles will do that.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Considering that there isn't a drop dead homerun for the chiefs at #3, sure I'd take that, but there is no way the Eagles will do that.

Could be they really want Smith or Monroe. I doubt we'd get all those 5ths though.

HC_Chief
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Philly is an ideal trade partner since they have 2 mid/low first rounders. The problem is they are doubtful suitors for Sanchez (IMO it makes sense: get the QBOTF to play behind McNabb for a couple of seasons; however McNabb has been disgruntled lately and this might be the spark to ignite that powderkeg).

bdeg
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Philly is an ideal trade partner since they have 2 mid/low first rounders. The problem is they are doubtful suitors for Sanchez (IMO it makes sense: get the QBOTF to play behind McNabb for a couple of seasons; however McNabb has been disgruntled lately and this might be the spark to ignite that powderkeg).

His name is Kevin Kolb.

Dicky McElephant
03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
The only way that I could see anyone wanting to trade up is if Stafford falls to 3 and everyone thinks that the Seahawks are going to take him.

HC_Chief
03-06-2009, 11:07 AM
His name is Kevin Kolb.

If they like him then it is very unlikely Philly would/could be a trade partner. Not unless they REALLY loved one of the OTs.

That's a big jump up the ladder. I could see a team jumping way up to grab a QB, but not many more positions... not a jump of that magnitude at least.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2009, 11:16 AM
For what Philly needs, they have far more value staying put than trading up.

chiefscafan
03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Well if the eagles fell in love with crabtree this deal might be doable.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
For what Philly needs, they have far more value staying put than trading up.

This.

ChiefsCountry
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
If the Eagles move up it would be for Monroe. They totally devaule WR position and they wouldnt move up for Crabtree. Thats just too funny.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
If the Eagles move up it would be for Monroe. They totally devaule WR position and they wouldnt move up for Crabtree. Thats just too funny.
Yeah.

They'd much more likely move up 3-5 spots to pick up whichever one of the elite LTs drop.

CaliforniaChief
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I've read in several spots that the Browns might want Aaron Curry. If we can put out enough smokescreens to convince them and other teams that we could viably take him, I could see the Browns moving up 2 spots and giving us their 2nd rounder in return. According to the chart we'd be giving up 500 points to move down 2 spots, and their 2nd rounder is worth 540 points. Besides, they acquired another 2nd rounder in the Kellen Winslow deal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I've read in several spots that the Browns might want Aaron Curry. If we can put out enough smokescreens to convince them and other teams that we could viably take him, I could see the Browns moving up 2 spots and giving us their 2nd rounder in return. According to the chart we'd be giving up 500 points to move down 2 spots, and their 2nd rounder is worth 540 points. Besides, they acquired another 2nd rounder in the Kellen Winslow deal.

That would be epic, but George Kokinis is a very smart guy who understands the importance of building through the draft. I fully expect him to do a good job assembling talent on that roster as long as Mangini's asshattery doesn't poison the well.

CaliforniaChief
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
That would be epic, but George Kokinis is a very smart guy who understands the importance of building through the draft. I fully expect him to do a good job assembling talent on that roster as long as Mangini's asshattery doesn't poison the well.

I hear you...I agree with you on what you said earlier that teams aren't going to want to move more than 3-5 spots to get a player they really want. It just costs too much financially and compromises the strength of your draft. Hopefully you're right and Mangini falls in love with Curry so we can draft Raji at #5 AND get back into the 2nd round. Too early to tell.

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
We can dream. But that's all this is - a dream.

The Eagles won't be moving up that far. I doubt the Browns move up.

If we do find a trade partner, it'll probably be us settling for less than full value.

And even that will be difficult with the amount of money involved with signing #3 + the fact this draft is void of elite talent.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM

Uh...

If we convince the Browns that WE are going to take Curry, they would need to jump AHEAD of us to get him, and trade with the Rams.

If the Browns (or any other team) are looking to trade up with US, it's because they are worried a team BEHIND us is going to take their player.

CaliforniaChief
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Uh...

If we convince the Browns that WE are going to take Curry, they would need to jump AHEAD of us to get him, and trade with the Rams.

If the Browns (or any other team) are looking to trade up with US, it's because they are worried a team BEHIND us is going to take their player.

We just have to convince the Browns that we are very interested in Curry...enough so that they would attempt to entice us to move down, hoping that we'd love to get back into the 2nd round more than we'd love to draft Curry.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
We just have to convince the Browns that we are very interested in Curry...enough so that they would attempt to entice us to move down, hoping that we'd love to get back into the 2nd round more than we'd love to draft Curry.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

If Cleveland thinks that we're infatuated with Curry, they will trade with the RAMS to get AHEAD of us to take him.

If you want to deal with Cleveland, then you need the Seahawks to become "infatuated" with whoever the Browns are targeting.

raybec 4
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

If Cleveland thinks that we're infatuated with Curry, they will trade with the RAMS to get AHEAD of us to take him.

If you want to deal with Cleveland, then you need the Seahawks to become "infatuated" with whoever the Browns are targeting.

I cannot see that explaining it AGAIN will be fruitful, you did your best to help him understand, cut your losses and move on.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah.

They'd much more likely move up 3-5 spots to pick up whichever one of the elite LTs drop.

Well, define elite. Oher has major question marks, as does Andre Smith. Monroe and Jason Smith could be gone by 4.

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I cannot see that explaining it AGAIN will be fruitful, you did your best to help him understand, cut your losses and move on.

ROFL

SNR
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, I mean, there's always the Vikings... they're usually dumb enough to make bad trade deals

bdeg
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe if Stafford fell.

kc rush
03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Uh...

The only way around that is to do a draft and trade like the Bolts & Giants did with Manning. Not very likely, but its the only way something like this may work where we deal with Cleveland.

SBK
03-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I hope we trade down now, which really is gonna piss me off cause we'll be looking at Stafford or Sanchez, maybe both sitting right there. Cassel better be good. LMAO

Saul Good
03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
The only player that anyone would consider trading up for would be Stafford. The elite players in the draft are either not at premier positions or have other players of similar talent at the same position.

Chiefnj2
03-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Call Detroit and let them know they can take Stafford and the OL of the their choice to protect him with the #3 pick. Get their 20th, 33rd, 82nd and a 2nd and 5th next year. That'll give KC a first, second and two thirds this year and ammo to move around next year.

KcKing
03-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Call Detroit and let them know they can take Stafford and the OL of the their choice to protect him with the #3 pick. Get their 20th, 33rd, 82nd and a 2nd and 5th next year. That'll give KC a first, second and two thirds this year and ammo to move around next year.

If we trade all the way down to 20... We're seeing Detroit's 1'st rounder next year...

Halfcan
03-07-2009, 12:06 AM
I want Curry at all cost.

Danman
03-07-2009, 08:14 AM

No! But that's the attitude we want EVERY team behind us in the first round to have on Curry, or Stafford, etc. We want other teams to move up and give us multiple picks in return.

milkman
03-07-2009, 08:20 AM

Why?

He's not a game changing sack artist.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Why?

He's not a game changing sack artist.

Think about who you're talking to. He thinks Favre is the GOAT.

Short Leash Hootie
03-07-2009, 09:40 AM
This.

Amazed you agree with him...

SNR
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Call Detroit and let them know they can take Stafford and the OL of the their choice to protect him with the #3 pick. Get their 20th, 33rd, 82nd and a 2nd and 5th next year. That'll give KC a first, second and two thirds this year and ammo to move around next year.I wouldn't mind this. :hmmm: