PDA

View Full Version : Football Khalif Barnes to sign with Raiders

chiefforlife
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:58 am EST
Sources: Raiders to sign Barnes

By Joe Fortenbaugh, NFP

Free agent offensive tackle Khalif Barnes is expected to sign a multi-year deal with the Oakland Raiders today, according to a league source.

A four-year veteran out of the University of Washington, Barnes has spent his entire career with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The National Football Post is a unique and premier online source of quality and credible news, information and insight about all sides of football featuring professionals with experience in all facets of the NFL.

soundmind
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm going to assume that Pioli & Co. just didn't like the FA O-Linemen this go-round, cause they've yet to address a single thing outside the Cassel deal, and 2-3 trash heap receivers. Pisses me the f*ck off that they would even consider this OL to be satisfactory.

I'm not saying that we should see blockbuster after blockbuster, but an OL that got 2 QBs knocked the f*ck out last season and provided the weakest run blocking we've seen in a decade......and a defensive front 7 that totalled less than a dozen sacks....and all they've done is get a QB? Get movin' Scott.

Enter the "draft Monroe" posts in 3, 2, 1.....

Chiefless
03-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Looking more and more like that's their plan.

Count Zarth
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
lol at the retards who think we're drafting Monroe.

DaneMcCloud
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Good.

He sucks.

kcsam07
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
bad signing by the faiders but great signing for us lol this guys terribble lol

Blick
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm going to assume that Pioli & Co. just didn't like the FA O-Linemen this go-round, cause they've yet to address a single thing outside the Cassel deal, and 2-3 trash heap receivers. Pisses me the f*ck off that they would even consider this OL to be satisfactory.

I'm not saying that we should see blockbuster after blockbuster, but an OL that got 2 QBs knocked the f*ck out last season and provided the weakest run blocking we've seen in a decade......and a defensive front 7 that totalled less than a dozen sacks....and all they've done is get a QB? Get movin' Scott.

I think we'd rather take our chances on draft picks than settle for scrubs like Barnes.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Good.

He sucks.

I know he's struggled, but he's a brick shit house. I watched him in college, and I think if he slid to the right side he'd be a fucking force.

shammus
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm hoping we don't go OT with the #3 overall pick. We'll either be drafting a RT with that pick or converting Alberts to RT so Monroe can play LT. Either way, our "net" out of this pick is a RT which is not a good position to fill with the #3 pick in the draft.

At this point, I'm hoping Pioli succeeds in trading down, picking up an extra pick or two and maybe drafting Muauluga in the 15-20 range.

I have a hard time believing that Pioli feels that there were no Oline, Dline or linebackers available in free agency that could have helped us. If Waters leaves, we'll need to upgrade four spots on the Oline and I'm not even certain we have enough personnel to run a decent version of the 3-4.

Disappointing...about all that's left in free agency is Olshansky and maybe a couple RT types.

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
So where do all these experts come from with the "Chiefs most likely for quick turnaround a la Miami/Atlanta" when our guys in the trenches couldn't even make most teams?

I mean, the best way to protect a young QB is with a strong running game + good pass protection, and a stout defense.

alpha_omega
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

Khalif Barnes has signed with the Raiders....His career is officially over!

Pestilence
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
If they trade Waters........then I can actually see them moving Albert to LG and drafting a LT with the #3 pick. I'll be extremely pissed off if they do it....but I can see it happening. Fuck.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM

So we should compensate by investing in a long-term deal for average linemen ? The Chiefs' biggest holes on the OL are at center, right guard, and right tackle. Those aren't hard places to fill and you can find solid players at those positions in the early 3rd and 4th rounds.

I would not be surprised if Pioli trades down to get an extra second round pick and taking 1 or 2 linemen in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
So where do all these experts come from with the "Chiefs most likely for quick turnaround a la Miami/Atlanta" when our guys in the trenches couldn't even make most teams?

I mean, the best way to protect a young QB is with a strong running game + good pass protection, and a stout defense.

Where was Miami at this time last year? Thomas and Taylor were gone. They were in shambles.

It's too early to say that the Chiefs are most likely to do a Miami-style turnaround. It's also too early to say that they AREN'T the most-likely, too.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I agree. Even if we take a tackle and slide Albert over, it's not ideal, but it takes care of a glaring need. We need to rebuild our line on both sides of the ball more than we need anything at this point. If we draft Monroe, or Smith, I'm not going to cry about it considering what options we have at this point.

MIAdragon
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Where was Miami at this time last year? Thomas and Taylor were gone. They were in shambles.

It's too early to say that the Chiefs are most likely to do a Miami-style turnaround. It's also too early to say that they AREN'T the most-likely, too.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

soundmind
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
So we should compensate by investing in a long-term deal for average linemen ? The Chiefs' biggest holes on the OL are at center, right guard, and right tackle. Those aren't hard places to fill and you can find solid players at those positions in the early 3rd and 4th rounds.

I would not be surprised if Pioli trades down to get an extra second round pick and taking 1 or 2 linemen in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds.

I wouldn't say I'm advocating signing the guy to a lengthy, fat deal. I'm just saying we haven't been in conversation with any OL or DL to this point sans Haynesworth, which was a farse, and its concerning b/c we have neither.

I just grow nervous that they're about to accept a 28th or worse ranked defense, based solely on the fact that we don't have talent in the front 7 like we need.

The OLine is another story, my personal belief there was that Jason Brown was the only FA signing to look for early, and he wanted WAY too much green. I was responding to Barnes b/c it seems to set the plate for more "draft a RT" bullsh*t.

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:23 PM

They had made several moves by this time last year.

So you're thinking is that our problems were more about coaching/scheme?

Fat Elvis
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Pioli is going to have Cassel make a statement about what it means to be a "team player." He has stated that he likes quarterbacks who are tough and can take a hit; I imagine that Pioli is going to make Cassel his sacrificial lamb by having him play behind our current O-line. Yes, Cassel is tough, but it will be hard to get back up and run to the huddle when he's been paralyzed because his T4 vertebrate is sticking out of his chest just under the zyphoid process due to the fact that the blitzer has come in unfettered and unblocked from his blindside.

bigdreams1
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
khalif barnes actually had an amazing rookie year at LT. I think last year was really his only bad year. I think on the right side the guy would be a road grader. I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on. We don't have 20 picks in the draft how do they expect to fill all of the holes on our roster. Now with Crennel not taking the DC position. We have no DE's or a NT for a 3-4. We have 2 LB's for a 3-4. The entire right side of the line and C are in shambles. What in the hell is happening i thought this guy made moves. I am seeing the same team as last year except the trade. That's not enough.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 12:41 PM
They had made several moves by this time last year.

So you're thinking is that our problems were more about coaching/scheme?

But nothing major.

Prior to March 6th last year, they cut:

Trent Green, L. J. Shelton, Keith Traylor, Anthony Alabi, Marion Dukes, Marquay Love, Joe Toledo, Anthony Bryant, and Zach Thomas.

They signed (again prior to 3/6/2008):

Matt Baker, Trey Darilek, Junior Glymph, Joey Thomas, David Kircus, Sean Ryan, Ernest Wilford, Charlie Anderson, Josh McCown, Justin Smiley, Randy Starks, Reggie Torbor, and Boomer Grigsby

They didn't trade for anybody and I would argue Cassel alone was a bigger "name get" than anything they did last year.

We're gonna make more moves, I just think Pioli is THAT methodical.

soundmind
03-06-2009, 12:53 PM
We're gonna make more moves, I just think Pioli is THAT methodical.

Hope he doesn't "method" himself right of contention for talent, I'm sure they have a thing or two in the works, and are waiting out the week to see some prices fall, and not saying that price is no object, but money shouldn't have stopped us to this point.

They're talking about Cassel eating a huge chunk of our 2009 coin, but if they want this guy, they'll restructure that, so that's crap too.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Hope he doesn't "method" himself right of contention for talent, I'm sure they have a thing or two in the works, and are waiting out the week to see some prices fall, and not saying that price is no object, but money shouldn't have stopped us to this point.

They're talking about Cassel eating a huge chunk of our 2009 coin, but if they want this guy, they'll restructure that, so that's crap too.

Money didn't stop us from making (allegedly) Scott Pioli the highest-paid GM in the league. Money didn't stop us from having a 19-man coaching staff.

I'm fairly certain that we haven't signed many guys yet because Pioli hasn't found anybody that "fits" - it doesn't have anything to do with money.

Micjones
03-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Barnes struggled mightily last year.
I'm not disappointed in the least bit that he went elsewhere.

I've said for weeks now that Ray Willis would be a better acquisition.
He's still out there too last I checked.

DaneMcCloud
03-06-2009, 01:30 PM

No way. The draft is LOADED with offensive lineman FAR more talented than Barnes. Mack, Unger, Urbick, Wood, Caldwell and Johnson to name a few.

As stated before, I fully expect Pioli to trade out of the #3 hole and take whatever he can get, regardless of the value chart. The Chiefs may even trade back twice in the first round.

Looking more and more like that's their plan.

See above. There's NO WAY the Chiefs take Monroe at #3. Ludicrous.

I know he's struggled, but he's a brick shit house. I watched him in college, and I think if he slid to the right side he'd be a fucking force.

He lacks motivation and a killer instinct. He's like a slightly more experienced version on Barry Richardson. Ideal size, strength and mobility, yet no fire.

Spott
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
He can take all his DUI's and his crappy attitutude with him when he leaves town. He was terrible all season for Jacksonville(on and off the field).

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
The Chiefs may even trade back twice in the first round.

This.

shammus
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
This blurb below per Rotoworld - looks like Barnes and the Raiders had a falling out....

------------------------

Despite reports to the contrary, Khalif Barnes' agent now says his client will not sign with the Raiders.
Nor will he sign with the 49ers. The agent said that Barnes will sign with "one of two other teams," so it sounds like he has multiple suitors outside the Bay area. The Raiders are doing a lot of whining and dining but very little actual signing.

milkman
03-07-2009, 08:29 AM
If they trade Waters........then I can actually see them moving Albert to LG and drafting a LT with the #3 pick. I'll be extremely pissed off if they do it....but I can see it happening. ****.

Oh yeah, I would be really fucking pissed off.

That would effectively make our #3 overall pick utilized to fill the LG position.

Wilson8
03-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Door all but closed on Barnes

Raiders coach Tom Cable wants to sign Jaguars left tackle Khalif Barnes, a pupil of longtime friend Keith Gilbertson, that much we know.

After three days of negotiations, the situation seems to be getting a little sticky -- and is now on the brink of not happening at all.

Barnes' agent told the Oakland Tribune and Santa Rosa Press-Democrat earlier today his client was more likely to sign elsewhere than here with the Raiders (or, apparently, the 49ers).

Now, all talks with the Raiders are off, his agent just told me, and Barnes is close to finalizing a deal with an undisclosed team.

If this is just a leverage move, it's a pretty good one, on Barnes' behalf.

By pursuing Barnes so hard, the Raiders made it clear he is their top option to cover JaMarcus Russell's backside. They've contacted several other free-agent left tackles, including Pittsburgh's Marvel Smith, but Barnes is the one they wined-and-dined in Alameda and talked multiyear contract with.

If they lose him now, after it became clear Barnes was willing to come here and he was in fact theirs for the taking, anyone else they sign will look like something less than what they really wanted.

For the Raiders' part, they've done well to stay fiscally responsible in the first week of free agency and are resisting the urge to overspend on a left tackle.

Part of the problem is, no one else in the NFL has signed a starter-quality left tackle since free agency started -- so the going rate has yet to be set. The very best left tackles were re-signed or franchise tagged before they could become free agents last month, but those numbers don't apply because the current batch are considered second-tier players (above average, but not top dollar).

No one wants to be the first to sign, and then watch all the others use that as a leap board to make a little more. You can be sure that others out there, like Bears left tackle John St. Clair, are waiting to see what. happens with Barnes.

Here's another sticking point: Barnes can also play right tackle, and may be asked to in Oakland. The Raiders will want to pay Barnes right tackle money, but Barnes -- who started 16 games on the left side last season -- will want the pricier left tackle pay.

This much is certain: Cable has got to get his left ackle signing right, whether it's Barnes or whoever. He gets paid to identify zone-blocking offensive linemen and make them fit. Davis gave him Kwame Harris last year, and it was a phenomonal swing and miss.

Russell needs a left tackle who can pass block to succeed. The Raiders need someone who won't be a false-start machine. If they're convinced Barnes is that guy, they may need to just pony up a little more money -- especially when you consider the play at that position here the past three years.

If all else fails, they can bank on landing a left tackle of the future with the No. 7 overall pick of the NFL Draft. Even then, beware. Since 1998, they have drafted Mo Collins, Matt Stinchcomb and Robert Gallery all in the first round in hopes of finding that left tackle anchor. Though Gallery has become a good left guard, it's hard to feel certain the scouting department will get it any more right this time around.

For now, Raider fans can hope Cable knows a good left tackle when he sees one and that he can convince Al Davis to pay accordingly -- before it's too late.

Whoever plays left tackle will work with new assistant offensive line coach Chris Morgan, whose hiring was announced Friday by the Raiders.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=11&entry_id=36690

dirk digler
03-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I wonder if the undisclosed team is the Chiefs?

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I wonder if the undisclosed team is the Chiefs?

I sure as hell hope not.

This guy is garbage.

Wilson8
03-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I would only want Barnes if he was willing to play right tackle and sign a reasonable contract for a right tackle. He's not quick enough to play left tackle and his size at 6'5", 325 lbs and his run blocking skills makes him more suitable on the right side.

Khalif and his agent want him getting left tackle money, so Kansas City is probably not the undisclosed team.

This story has some more info on Barnes when New Orleans was looking at him. The Saints re-signed Jon Stinchcomb rather than go with Barnes.
http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/022709-fas.html

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
The raider cowboy?

Wilson8
03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Barnes was arrested in November 2006 during a DUI stop that was taped, capturing an obscenity and racial slur-riddled tirade. Barnes later violated the terms of his probation by leaving the scene of a one-car accident.
http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/022709-fas.htmlhttp://www.neworleansprofootball.com/022709-fas.html

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Barnes was arrested in November 2006 during a DUI stop that was taped, capturing an obscenity and racial slur-riddled tirade. Barnes later violated the terms of his probation by leaving the scene of a one-car accident.
http://www.neworleansprofootball.com/022709-fas.htmlhttp://www.neworleansprofootball.com/022709-fas.html

See previous post. It was short version.