PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: What's the Chiefs Plan?

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/what%e2%80%99s-the-chiefs-plan.html

Whatís The Chiefs Plan?
March 5, 2009 - Bob Gretz |

Thursday evening will mark the end of the first week of free agency in the National Football League.

There have been very active teams, like the Denver Broncos who have signed a dozen new players. There have been other teams that have signed no new players, like the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

And then there are the Chiefs, who have signed no free agents, although they picked up a couple of key players in quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel in a trade.

No one expected Scott Pioli to dive head first into the free agency waters. That just wouldnít seem to be the profile from his days in New England. But as far as we know, the Chiefs havenít even stuck a toe in the river of players that have been floating past them. Now, because of the way the Chiefs operate these days they may have a couple of free agents signed and we donít know about it yet.

Itís not hard to believe that a team that finished 2-14 last season and 6-26 over the last two years would be interested in adding as many players as possible. There are a lot of different ways to impact a roster. You build from the top down, with draft choices and key free agents. You build from the bottom up, by signing street free agents and developing them. And you build from the middle, adding veteran players to fill holes in the roster and to help with special teams.
As an example, division rival Denver has made an obvious decision to pump up their roster in the middle. The Broncos have signed a dozen players on both sides of the football and on special teams. Whether any of those players solves the teamís overall problem with their talent level remains to be seen. But the mile high guys decided to use the UFA avenue to start their rebuild.

Why havenít the Chiefs? Since Pioli holds his cards so closely, we canít answer that with any certainty. But here are five possible explanations for whatís happening around the Chiefs as free agency begins its second week.

1. NOBODY ON THE UFA/RFA LIST WAS WORTH OVERPAYING

Understand the one constant dynamic of free agency, especially in the early days: teams always overpay. Itís part of the script. There were certainly some talented players available this year and the Chiefs had the room under the salary cap to add their contracts. Rumor says they were a participant in negotiations with DT Albert Haynesworth. But in the classic example of overpaying, Washington decided they were going to sign Haynesworth no matter how much money it took.

More than a few of the other top line UFAs would have made the Chiefs a better team. But Pioli decided none were worth tying up that much money this year, and in the future. If this is the plan, then the Chiefs should start signing players in the coming days and weeks, because the negotiating leverage will swing back to the teams, as players grow restless about their next home.

2. PIOLI WANTS TO BUILD HIS CHIEFS THE SAME WAY AS HERM EDWARDS

Letís remember that the Chiefs former head coach pushed for building a team with a foundation of young guys, while eschewing veteran free agents. That approach likely cost him his job after a 2-14 season, but he held true to his desires. Maybe Pioli agrees with that method. We know from public statements that Clark Hunt thinks thatís the way to go. If so, it requires a great deal of restraint when there are players available. Itís also easier to do when you are 0-0 for your career record in the building. This avenue would indicate a few signings, less than five, between now and the start of off-season practices.

3. MAYBE THE CHIEFS ROSTER ISNíT AS BAD AS PIOLI EXPECTED

All weíve heard from Pioli and head coach Todd Haley on the quality of the roster they inherited came at the NFL Scouting Combine. Both said that in watching the tape, they found a team that finished 2-14. As Bill Parcells has always said, you are what you are. But maybe as theyíve gone through the tapes of last year, they found out that thereís a good base of young talent on this team. Maybe they believe some better coaching and better schemes and that year of experience will draw out that talent. Maybe the situation isnít as dire as 2-14 would indicate.

4. PIOLI HASNíT HAD TIME AND DOESNíT HAVE ďHISĒ PERSONNEL OPERATION IN PLACE

As far as we know, there have been no changes or additions to the Chiefs personnel department since Pioli took over. But you can bet that come May 1, after the NFL Draft is over and college free agents are signed, that there will be personnel changes in personnel. Heís operating with the staff that was in place and they have much to prove to him about their skills and ability to analyze. Since he doesnít have his guys and his plan in place, he may be leery of making a lot of personnel moves at this time without the type of background information he was used to having with the Patriots.

5. HEíS TRYING TO STAY WITHIN A BUDGET

The NFL salary cap ceiling for the 2009 season is $127 million. Teams must spend 87.6 percent of that, setting the salary floor at $111.252 million. When free agency started, the Chiefs had a ballpark figure of $50 million under the cap available to them, meaning $77 million was spoken for by players on the roster. That number jumped by $18 million with the additions of Cassel and Vrabel, so now the team is at $95 million. That leaves about $16 million for the Chiefs to reach the minimum and $32 million to reach the maximum. The Chiefs wonít get anywhere near the cap sealing in the Ď09 season, and will likely be closer to the minimum. So Pioli may be saving his cap space for draft picks and signing new deals for some of the teamís younger players who step forward on the field during the Ď09 season.

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
So what option is most likely?

I think it's either option 1 or option 3.

John_Wayne
03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
The Chiefs won’t get anywhere near the cap sealing in the ‘09 season........

Does anyone see a problem with this statement........... spelling?

John_Wayne
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
BTW, I think it's a combination of #2 and #4.

Donger
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
The Chiefs wonít get anywhere near the cap sealing in the Ď09 season

Unseal the cap!

rambleonthruthefog
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
all of the above

ChiefRon
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
The Chiefs wonít get anywhere near the cap sealing in the Ď09 season........

Does anyone see a problem with this statement........... spelling?

An illiterate writer, now there's an oxymoron!

Chiefnj2
03-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I really want to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt for at least a year and a half before criticizing the guy, but why in the heck wouldn't he have made changes to the personnel department?

SenselessChiefsFan
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
So what option is most likely?

I think it's either option 1 or option 3.

I think it is a combination of 1, 2 and 3.

kcchiefsus
03-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Our rookies still won't even get us anywhere close to that $16 million we have to spend just to reach the minimum. Last year with 12 picks in the draft we had the highest rookie pool in the league and that was still only barely over $8 million.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I really want to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt for at least a year and a half before criticizing the guy, but why in the heck wouldn't he have made changes to the personnel department?

A couple things here.

#1) Pioli came in very late in the game.

#2) Kuharich is VERY well respected around the league.

#3) The last three drafts have been better than fans in here realize.

#4) I imagine they will have some changes, but Pioli will keep a large part of the staff in place.

Remember, Pioli isn't a fan. He realizes that the draft is not an exact science and that mistakes will be made. And, unlike the fans, he isn't going to overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it is a combination of 1, 2 and 3.

I think it's either 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.

Chiefnj2
03-06-2009, 01:10 PM
A couple things here.

#1) Pioli came in very late in the game.

#2) Kuharich is VERY well respected around the league.

#3) The last three drafts have been better than fans in here realize.

#4) I imagine they will have some changes, but Pioli will keep a large part of the staff in place.

Remember, Pioli isn't a fan. He realizes that the draft is not an exact science and that mistakes will be made. And, unlike the fans, he isn't going to overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak.

Do you know how hard it would be to have 3 really good drafts with a full compliment of draft picks each year and still be 2-14 after 3 years? The talent isn't that good.

Goapics1
03-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe the do not have a plan.

ChiTown
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
The talent isn't that good.

Bingo

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 01:53 PM

LMAO Jackass....:p

StcChief
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
will know soon enough 1 and 3 seem to make the most sense, draft/FA will tell.

FringeNC
03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Do you know how hard it would be to have 3 really good drafts with a full compliment of draft picks each year and still be 2-14 after 3 years? The talent isn't that good.

Not disagreeing with you, but poor coaching contributed to 2-14, also.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 02:06 PM

It isn't THAT bad, either.

Rausch
03-06-2009, 02:13 PM

We lost to the chargers, twice, by one point.
We lost in OT to the Bucs.

All games we could have, and probably should have, won.

Also consider that the only team in our division we didn't split with was SD and that's the team we should have swept. Going 9-7 is nothing to write home about but if it's done with young talent you've got something to build on. This team is young and beating up on $#itty AFCW opponents and winning your division still sends you to the playoffs.

We aren't all that far away we just need a guy with a map to get us there...

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Also consider that the only team in our division we didn't split with was SD and that's the team we should have swept. Going 9-7 is nothing to write home about but if it's done with young talent you've got something to build on. This team is young and beating up on $#itty AFCW opponents and winning your division still sends you to the playoffs.

In all honesty, I think Herm HAD the map. He was just holding it upside down. And of course, it didn't help that Carl needed a flashlight to see it.

FringeNC
03-06-2009, 02:23 PM

The first half of the season with Herm's power running game in place, we were one of the worst teams in the last 10 years, according to Sagrin's power ratings. Over the second half of the season with the spread, we looked like a rebuilding team should -- showed some flashes, and lost a lot of close games.

DaneMcCloud
03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I stated in January that the Chiefs would not be active in free agency for several reasons, yet I was told time and again that I was wrong.

1. There was only a couple of young players available that could truly impact the Chiefs in for the next 4 years. The rest were just "guys", with a few astronomical free agents available.

2. The Hunt family just chipped in another $75 million to further renovate Arrowhead, thus likely reducing the cash available for huge signing bonuses.

3. This team is severally lacking talent and a talented youthful core. Herm took the first steps towards rebuilding the team's core but it takes more than one draft to succeed. There are far too many holes.

4. I expect the Chiefs to be far more active in 2010, once there's a youthful foundation in place.

I read post after post stating that Pioli LOVES 2nd tier free-agents and that I was wrong.

I guess not so much.

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 02:38 PM

I stated in January that the Chiefs would not be active in free agency for several reasons, yet I was told time and again that I was wrong.

1. There was only a couple of young players available that could truly impact the Chiefs in for the next 4 years. The rest were just "guys", with a few astronomical free agents available.

2. The Hunt family just chipped in another $75 million to further renovate Arrowhead, thus likely reducing the cash available for huge signing bonuses.

3. This team is severally lacking talent and a talented youthful core. Herm took the first steps towards rebuilding the team's core but it takes more than one draft to succeed. There are far too many holes.

4. I expect the Chiefs to be far more active in 2010, once there's a youthful foundation in place.

I read post after post stating that Pioli LOVES 2nd tier free-agents and that I was wrong.

I guess not so much.

Good job; frag the 'tards, and do it OFTEN. Rep!

Chiefnj2
03-06-2009, 02:47 PM

It's pretty damn bad.

Offensive building blocks - Bowe, Albert. (Now Cassel)
Offensive vets that can still help: Tony, Waters, maybe LJ if Pioli can smack him around.

IMO everybody else is just average at best.

Defensive building blocks: Flowers and Carr. Maybe Dorsey and Tyler if the team is lucky.
Defensive vets that can still help: Hali (if a premier DE is placed opposite of him), DJ if he is surrounded by better LB talent, Vrabel.

IMO everybody else is below average at best.

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
It's pretty damn bad.

Offensive vets that can still help: Tony, Waters, maybe LJ if Pioli can smack him around.

Defensive building blocks: Flowers and Carr. Maybe Dorsey and Tyler if the team is lucky.
Defensive vets that can still help: Hali (if a premier DE is placed opposite of him), DJ if he is surrounded by better LB talent, Vrabel.

Why does EVERYONE forget Leggitt when these types of posts are made?

Just sayin'

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
It's pretty damn bad.

Mike Cox is a building block at FB. And a change of scheme might help Pollard, who has plenty of talent but isn't a Cover 2 SS.

Besides, who knows how many of the younger guys that never saw the field suffered because of god awful coaching and evaluation.

Wilson8
03-06-2009, 05:54 PM
So it's Friday March 6th, 2009, one week into free agency and the Kansas City Chiefs are done with 2009 NFL free agency?

I know it is a little disappointing for some when you see names you hoped for, sign with other teams, but let's take a look at the 2009 NFL calendar -
Feb. 27 -- Veteran free agency signing period begins. Trading period begins.
April 17 -- Signing period ends for restricted free agents.
April 24 -- Deadline for old club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.
April 25-26 -- NFL Draft: New York City.
Mid-July -- Training camps open.
Aug. 13-17 -- First preseason weekend.

There is still lots of time.

Very few people that follow Scott Pioli and the New England Patriots expected the Chiefs to jump in and make a big splash in the first few days of free agency. There are still good free agents available to be signed. In addition there are good players every day that are getting dropped by teams because of roster bonuses. Today KC brought back S Jon McGraw and signed DE\LB Darrell Robertson. Not a big splash but this is just the beginning. In the following weeks the Chiefs will sign additional free agents and probably make a trade or two.

Stay tuned...

Dave Lane
03-06-2009, 07:02 PM

I think its alot better than 2-14. I think Haley might have gone 8-8 out of this bunch with coaching.

munkey
03-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Remember, Pioli isn't a fan.

How can he not be a fan...it's a passion for him no? If not, why has he been so successful?

To say he's not a fan is somewhat stupid....IMO

munkey
03-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Why does EVERYONE forget Leggitt when these types of posts are made?

Just sayin'

Hey...what's up?

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey...what's up?

Just watching the creation of New England West...

munkey
03-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Just watching the creation of New England West...

What would you propose? Other than you know EVERYTHING and the organization doesn't.

You must be living in the 90's.....I guess...

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 08:33 PM
What would you propose? Other than you know EVERYTHING and the organization doesn't.

You must be living in the 90's.....I guess...

So you ask me "what's up" so you can jump my ass?!

Since you asked, this is MY proposal:

I propose we kick back, watch the show, and see if Scott Pioli is the genius he's supposed to be. Let him draft who and what he wants, and let's hit the field for some football.

Let's also see at that time, if Haley is worth HIS weight in grip.

And when it's all said and done, let's break out the scale and measure the results.

munkey
03-06-2009, 10:03 PM

I propose we kick back, watch the show, and see if Scott Pioli is the genius he's supposed to be. Let him draft who and what he wants, and let's hit the field for some football.

And when it's all said and done, let's break out the scale and measure the results.

You jumped my ass last time...remember?

All said I completely concur....

Darth CarlSatan
03-06-2009, 10:05 PM
You jumped my ass last time...remember?

All said I completely concur....

Cool.;)

Rausch
03-07-2009, 05:00 AM

I'm not a big Haley fan but what's nice is knowing Pioli Soprano isn't afraid to throw some concrete flippers and a snorkel his way if the team isn't panning out...

milkman
03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I think its alot better than 2-14. I think Haley might have gone 8-8 out of this bunch with coaching.

5 wins was probably the max we could have gotten from this team.

ChiefRon
03-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe they just haven't finished the player evaluations? And they figure, hey let's bring in some cheap veterans to pair with these kids, and see how new coaching / schemes make a difference, and that will give us a full year of working w/ them and we'll know much better what we have and what adjustments need to be made.

This would also allow them to make some roster changes right before/after training camp.

Just a thought.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe they just haven't finished the player evaluations? And they figure, hey let's bring in some cheap veterans to pair with these kids, and see how new coaching / schemes make a difference, and that will give us a full year of working w/ them and we'll know much better what we have and what adjustments need to be made.

This would also allow them to make some roster changes right before/after training camp.

Just a thought.

I don't think Vrabel was the only stipulation of the Cassel deal. I think the other stipulations are arriving on a day to day basis.

And I DON'T think I'm wrong about this.

It's so nice that we can help poor ol' Bill with his aged roster and need for cap space.
I think I'll bake Scott some "good neighbor" brownies for being such a swell friend...:rolleyes:

Color Red
03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
How quickly the early talk about Pioli and the New England way has faded. Reason 1 maybe the only valid reason listed here. Gretz is nervous about how McDaniel in Denver is going about it, unleashing the check book and bringing in the bodies.

Didn't Pioli say it's not about players, it's about the system? We're going to see Pioli and Haley use a roster largely unchanged this year, with a new system in place. We'll learn what players work well in the system and which do not. Cassel will get another year under his belt, and we'll figure out whether KC extends to him a longer running contract or not.

If I've said this once I've said it a dozen times: this is going to be an interesting year.