PDA

View Full Version : Life My employment story, thus far...

Sully
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
A lot of folks are talking on here about the ups and downs of their job or lack thereof, and I find myself in a weird situation, so I thought I'd share.

I graduated 3 years ago from UMKC with a degree in History, and began school at Avila for a cert in teaching social studies. I also coach football.
Knowing this was the semester I'd be student teaching, and with some unhappiness with the coaching staff I was on, i resigned from where I was coaching, expecting that the next place I'd be hired will be where I will coach.

As many of you know, the worst field to get a job in teaching in is Social Studies. Everyone and their neighbor is certified in Social Studies. At a job fair last night, I felt like I did years ago on football recruiting trips when I'd tell a coach my 40-time. They'd just begin to look past me. Some were interested when they learned I coach, but I don't know if it's enough.

So I made a decision. I'm going to spend the next 6-weeks studying, and test to get dual certified in Science. It's a field with much more need, I've always done well in science courses, and it should open a few more doors for me.

It sucks, because it's not my passion, like history. But in the long run...teaching is my passion, so just to be able to do that (and also support my family) will be a plus.

Wish me luck.

DeezNutz
03-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Good luck, dude.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Good luck. Just because you teach Science now, doesn't mean you can't teach SS later. You have a plan, and it's a good one. I'm sure things will work out for you just fine.

Sully
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
The next step will be to get certified in Special Ed.
I hate that, though, because it's almost asking to be pigeonholed for the entirety of my career.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Is the "social studies" thing a local issue?

My plan all along was to teach HS History or Psychology, and when I started considering other options, my advisor told me to stay the course, as a unusually large number of teachers in STL expected to retire in the next 5 years come from the social sciences.

Sully
03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Is the "social studies" thing a local issue?

My plan all along was to teach HS History or Psychology, and when I started considering other options, my advisor told me to stay the course, as a unusually large number of teachers in STL expected to retire in the next 5 years come from the social sciences.

It's nationwide.
There are tons and tons about to retire nationwide, as well...they just keep holding out.

There's a guy in the district I'm student teaching in, who has been teaching for 47 years. He's basically losing money to teach right now.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
It's nationwide.
There are tons and tons about to retire nationwide, as well...they just keep holding out.

There's a guy in the district I'm student teaching in, who has been teaching for 47 years. He's basically losing money to teach right now.

Interesting.

I hope my advisor knows WTF she is talking about.

Then again, I'm 2 full years from graduation and have some phenomenal contacts inside my "dream" district.

Lumpy
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Best of luck to u Sully!

Skip Towne
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Teach Algebra or Physics. I'll bet there isn't nearly the competition there.

Mr. Kotter
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
That's a good idea; get a foot in the door, and go from there.

Good luck, Sully.

Sully
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Teach Algebra or Physics. I'll bet there isn't nearly the competition there.

I may look into physics down the road.

Lono
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Sully, man I thought it was only me. I am in the exact same boat. I have been coaching at my current school for going on 5 years now. I was the Defensive Coord last year and the Offensive Coord this year. I too will be doing my student teaching next semester and am applying to be a teacher of record somewhere. I will be certified 1-6 anything, 7-9 S.S. and CCA. I was contacted by another school and went and interviewed this week and just found out this moment that I was not hired. I don't get it. The school knew my situation and called me. Looking back now I'm glad though because i got to experience an interview. My current school did not interview me, I just got the job. So that was a valuable experience. Hang in there, I know I will. Like I told my wife, you can't pray that God will open the door where he wants you to be, then be mad that he closed the one you wanted.

Good Luck

P.S. Btw my current school does want to hire me but there are no jobs open. There is a S.S. teacher who was supposed to retire last year but is holding on. She thinks she might retire next year.

Sully
03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
BTW, I didn't mean this as a sob story thread, I just wanted to share. But thanks to all for the wishes. I always like to see the human side of this place.

The good thing going for me is that my ed schooling is coming from a greatly respected (in this area) school in the field. I also have TONS of references. So all that helps.

CoMoChief
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Teach Gym..........those who cant do, teach........and those who cant teach, teach gym.

Sully
03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Teach Gym..........those who cant.....teach........and those who cant teach, teach gym.

Possibly even worse field to get into than Social Studies, as far as finding jobs.

Plus, it doesn't exactly hold the intellectual stimulation I need in a career.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Good luck to you Sully.

What about Home Economics?? :)

PhillyChiefFan
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Best luck to you Sully.

BigRedChief
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Any opening on the staffs we talked about last year?

NewChief
03-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Definitely try to diversify your certifications, especially if you're a coach. I started out with certs in English, Speech/Drama, and Journalism. I taught a hellish combination of those for my first few years teaching, but now I pretty much pick what I want to teach. Also, be prepared to take jobs with a commute. I had to teach 30 minutes away for 3 years before I landed a job closer to home.

Jenson71
03-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Teach Gym..........those who cant do, teach........and those who cant teach, teach gym.

"Those who can't do, teach. And those who can't do anything, they were sent to my school."

Sully
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Any opening on the staffs we talked about last year?

I'm student teaching at the first option, and it doesn't look good. I talked to a rep from your place last night, and they didn't seem hopeful.
However, the coaching may help a ton.