PDA

View Full Version : Once again, Walter Football. Chiefs Draft concerns.

Direckshun
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/mattpredraft2009kc.php

Kansas City Chiefs (Last Year: 2-14)

Herm Edwards struggled to put out a competitive football team again, and he was canned after a disappointing 2008 season. Overlord Scott Pioli was brought in to run the show, and he started his free agency period off with a bang. He traded away the 34th overall selection for not only his franchise quarterback, but also a capable starter at outside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme!

Now, I do not think Matt Cassel has much upside because of his arm strength, but I do feel the 34th pick was solid value for what Kansas City got in return. This team has some intriguing young talent, but I do question the move to the 3-4 defense. How will Glenn Dorsey, Derrick Johnson and Brandon Flowers fit? The Chiefs have made zero moves as far as free agent signings, which is disappointing because they had the cap space. Also, do not be shocked if they try to trade Dorsey to a team like Buffalo or Tampa because he does not fit in at nose tackle or end. On to the Chiefs draft range at No. 3 overall:

Aaron Curry: With the fourth overall pick in the 1989 NFL Draft, the Chiefs selected the 6-3, 255-pound Derrick Thomas. Considering where the Chiefs are picking and Curry's scary similar physical tools, this is all but locked up. The Chiefs are not drafting a left tackle when they have Branden Albert. They are not drafting a quarterback now with the acquisition of Matt Cassel. They will not take the injury-prone Brian Orakpo that high above a top-two consensus overall player in Curry. Curry will start immediately at inside linebacker and be the leader this team has lacked since Thomas.

I really have an extremely hard time seeing Kansas City go anywhere else here but Curry... it makes too much sense after they traded for Cassel. Chiefs fans: feel free to pre-order your No. 59 Curry jerseys.

After trading away No. 34 overall, Kansas City will not be on the board until No. 67. Where will they go at this pick?

They have a major hole at right guard, and Pioli would love to see Oklahoma's Duke Robinson on the board. I feel like that kind of a draft pick can get Kansas City to its roots with that nasty, lunchpail-type mentality on the line of scrimmage. Other guards in their mid-round draft range include Robert Brewster, Herman Johnson, Kraig Urbik, Tyronne Greene and Cornelius Lewis.

Pioli traded for Mike Vrabel, but it is up in the air as to whether Tamba Hali can make the transition standing up at outside linebacker. They might pull the trigger on Phillip Hunt, Cody Brown, Connor Barwin or David Veikune in the third or fourth rounds. My sleeper for this team in the late rounds is Slade Norris out of Oregon State. He has a great motor and underrated athleticism.

Dwayne Bowe is a fantastic No. 1 threat at the receiver position, but he needs someone to draw away double teams and Will Franklin seems to be a project. Mid-rounders for the Chiefs include Ramses Barden (though he's very raw), Juaquin Iglesisas if he happens to be on the board in the third round, Brandon Gibson, Louis Murphy, Jarrett Dillard, Mike Wallace and Tiquan Underwood.

There are a few zero technique (nose tackle) prospects for Kansas City as they transition to the 3-4. Chris Baker, Terrence Taylor, Terrance Knighton, and Myron Pryor are in their fourth-to-sixth round range.

I think a play-making nickel to provide depth on defense could be a huge difference in the AFC West next season. I love Mark Parson from Ohio. He is physical, and has underrated athletic ability and top intangibles. Kevin Barnes, Brandon Underwood, Keenan Lewis, and Captain Munnerlyn would be solid options in the fourth-to-sixth round range.

The Chiefs have a lot of needs, but if Cassel can deliver next season, this team could be competitive in the West. Aaron Curry should be a lifesaver on the defensive side of the ball; however, questions remains as to why this team made the move to the 3-4 with 4-3 personnel.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
How can he compare DT to Curry? They're not even remotely similar in terms of skill sets or college production.

raybec 4
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Slade Norris is a fuckin awesome name whether or not he everplays in the NFL.

OnTheWarpath58
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
How can he compare DT to Curry? They're not even remotely similar in terms of skill sets or college production.

That's Matt McGuire for you.

Walter would be well served to find someone else to be part of his website.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
If Dajuan Morgan can develop into a good safety, Page is a perfect nickel back. He's not that fast, but that's where he's at his best; using his athleticism to gamble for interceptions.

Frosty
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
My sleeper for this team in the late rounds is Slade Norris out of Oregon State. He has a great motor and underrated athleticism.

Slade would make an great OLB in a 3-4. He has a serious motor and made a lot of plays for us. He might be had as an UDFA, though. He wasn't invited to the combine or any of the all star games for some reason, and isn't on a lot of people's radars.

Here's a highlight video of the Beavers at the Sun Bowl against Pittsburgh. The video is for Victor Butler (#90, who would be another good option at OLB) and his four sack game. However, if you watch, it's Slade (#58) that creates the opportunity for Butler.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eGhB0hYnAM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eGhB0hYnAM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Keenan Lewis

Two Beavers mentioned. I like this guy. :D

Pestilence
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
If Dajuan Morgan can develop into a good safety, Page is a perfect nickel back. He's not that fast, but that's where he's at his best; using his athleticism to gamble for interceptions.

What about Leggett?

MIAdragon
03-06-2009, 12:46 PM

There were more than a few boards that had Morgan rated the #1 safety in the draft, Id like to know what were the reasons he couldn’t sniff the field with the quality we were throwing out there.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
He was supposed to be raw coming out. Pollard had the same role as a rookie, play recognition is not easy in the NFL and the safeties have to commit 100% or be a step behind. Some scouts said he would eventually be better than Kenny Phillips.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
What about Leggett?

I don't know. I don't really remember many of his plays except obviously toward the end of the year. I'd have to see more to form an opinion. I don't think he's as much of a play-maker as Page though. Although he'd probably be better when asked to cover quicker slot guys without a pass rush.

HC_Chief
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM

They're both LBs, KC is in need of an LB, and KC has drafted a LB high in the past.

Those are the only similarities. DT was a pass-rushing MONSTER in college (27 sacks in one season). Curry is a nice, complete backer, but more of a coverage, read & react type. If we wanted to replace DJ, he would be a great choice.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't know. I don't really remember many of his plays except obviously toward the end of the year. I'd have to see more to form an opinion. I don't think he's as much of a play-maker as Page though. Although he'd probably be better when asked to cover quicker slot guys without a pass rush.

Page?

Has this guy completely snowed the fanbase?

Seriously, he's AWFUL.

bdeg
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Page?

Has this guy completely snowed the fanbase?

Seriously, he's AWFUL.

I don't think he's a good safety, but as a rookie I think he showed if he can gamble because he's not the last line of defense he can get picks. Maybe he's not perfect. Especially in the tackling department.

SBK
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
It's amazing to me that people actually think DT and Curry are the same thing. Un-freaking-real.

htismaqe
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think he's a good safety, but as a rookie I think he showed if he can gamble because he's not the last line of defense he can get picks. Maybe he's not perfect. Especially in the tackling department.

Teams more and more are using the slot to create speed mismatches. That's about the last place I think I'd want Page, but that's just me.

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 02:36 PM
It's amazing to me that people actually think DT and Curry are the same thing. Un-freaking-real.Oh, come on, his coaching held him back. He's the bestest pass rusher ever, just untapped.

ChiefsCountry
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Teams more and more are using the slot to create speed mismatches. That's about the last place I think I'd want Page, but that's just me.

Page is a good cover safety for tight ends though.

raybec 4
03-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Page is a good cover safety for tight ends though.

Or any of the slow ass backs in this years draft.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Duke Robinson?

:Lin:

This guy doesn't know jackshit.

Urbick at guard? WTFIWWTG?

MIAdragon
03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
The Cleveland Browns are scheduled to travel to Texas on March 18 for a private workout with Longhorn defensive end Brian Orakpo.

Orakpo, who projects as a top-10 pick, would line up at outside linebacker in the Browns 3-4 scheme. He would be charged with igniting a Browns pass rush that had the second fewest sacks in the NFL last season.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

SBK
03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
The Cleveland Browns are scheduled to travel to Texas on March 18 for a private workout with Longhorn defensive end Brian Orakpo.

Orakpo, who projects as a top-10 pick, would line up at outside linebacker in the Browns 3-4 scheme. He would be charged with igniting a Browns pass rush that had the second fewest sacks in the NFL last season.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Please Seattle, make the world believe you want Orakpo!

KCrockaholic
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM

I think they were mainly comparing the leadership qualities both had/have. I doubt Curry becomes anything close to DT, but Curry is still the best pick in this draft IMO. He will instantly become a leader to our team, much like Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

htismaqe
03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I think they were mainly comparing the leadership qualities both had/have. I doubt Curry becomes anything close to DT, but Curry is still the best pick in this draft IMO. He will instantly become a leader to our team, much like Ray Lewis in Baltimore.

Rookies don't come in and lead. You'd think Curry was Mike Peterson or something...

Tribal Warfare
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Rookies don't come in and lead. You'd think Curry was Mike Peterson or something...

1998 cross board humor