PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Drafting a QB in the 1st round anyway?

Mr. Krab
03-06-2009, 09:05 PM
It could be that the price was so cheap for Cassel and Vrabel because both Pioli and Bellichek don't think Cassel is the long term answer. But maybe is Cassel is good enough to hold the position for a couple of years until a draftee is ready to go.

I think most people (other than the draft Nazis on this board) think that Sanchez isn't ready to go for awhile.

Maybe the Chiefs trade down to recoup the 2nd and still draft Sanchez. Cassel holds down the fort until the rookie is ready to go and we really don't lose much other than the draft spots we fall in the 2nd round with whomever we traded.

Cassel
Thigpen
Sanchez

cut croyle

Just a thought

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
The price for Cassel wasn't cheap in real terms. It's only cheap in comparison to the set price of a 1st and 3rd. Reality is that we traded a high 2nd round pick for a 7th round draft pick with 15 starts in 5 years.

In any case, with Cassel's age, it doesn't strike me as a temporary move. You don't give up the 34th pick in the draft and a salary approaching 15 million for a guy you plan to bench anytime in the near future.

That said, I've never thought drafting a QB in addition to the trade was completely out of the question. It's just very, very unlikely. If it does happen, then I'd imagine the long term goal would be to trade one of them, in the way that San Diego handled Brees and Rivers. But again, very, very (very, very) unlikely.

Practically speaking, the Chiefs have too many holes to fill; they don't have the luxury of spending a second pick on a starting QB.

FAX
03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't think it's unlikely that we pick up a QB in later rounds, though.

FAX

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I'd be surprised if they don't.

Saul Good
03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
If Stafford is on the board, you either take him or start the bidding at a first and a second rounder.

Lately, I've started to get a feeling that we're going to draft John Parker Wilson in the late rounds. I base this on absolutely nothing.

Silock
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Not in the 1st. I just don't see it. Haley already said that Thiggy will compete with Cassel for the starting job. I just don't see throwing ANOTHER QB into the mix. How could any of our QBs really be ready for the start of a new season with a 3-man competition? There aren't enough reps to go around.

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Haley already said that Thigpen will compete with Cassel for the starting job.That was coach-speak. I wouldn't buy it for a second. You don't give up a pick that high for a guy you intend to "compete" and you don't bury guys on the roster (especially if you're rumored to be shopping them). Cassel's going to be the starter.

DeezNutz
03-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Not in the 1st. I just don't see it. Haley already said that Thigpen will compete with Cassel for the starting job. I just don't see throwing ANOTHER QB into the mix. How could any of our QBs really be ready for the start of a new season with a 3-man competition? There aren't enough reps to go around.

The Chiefs didn't give the #34 pick so someone could compete with Thigpen.

What Haley says publicly doesn't mean much right now.

FAX
03-06-2009, 09:24 PM
It all depends on whether or not Pioli sees somebody he likes. For reasons known only to my Subconscious Mind and the Vague Spirit of Melted Zesty Cheese Whiz, I've thought we might still be looking to add another young quarterback to the stable to develop for later.

FAX

Deberg_1990
03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think it's unlikely that we pick up a QB in later rounds, though.

FAX

This.

I think we draft one late, and Croyle is cut sometime this summer.

Silock
03-06-2009, 09:44 PM
That was coach-speak. I wouldn't buy it for a second. You don't give up a pick that high for a guy you intend to "compete" and you don't bury guys on the roster (especially if you're rumored to be shopping them). Cassel's going to be the starter.

You don't spend a draft pick on Matt Leinart so you can have Kurt Warner lead you to the Super Bowl while your #1 draft pick rides the pine.

Shit happens. I would be PISSED if it wasn't an open competition. Thiggy has every right to compete for the job. If he can't make the throws, Pioli and Haley will know. They'll make the right decision. I fully expect Cassel to win the competition, but it should be by virtue of his superior skill and not what we gave up to get him. That's retarded.

Smed1065
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM
If Stafford is on the board, you take him

:thumb:

DeezNutz
03-06-2009, 09:53 PM
You don't spend a draft pick on Matt Leinart so you can have Kurt Warner lead you to the Super Bowl while your #1 draft pick rides the pine.

Shit happens. I would be PISSED if it wasn't an open competition. Thigpen has every right to compete for the job. If he can't make the throws, Pioli and Haley will know. They'll make the right decision. I fully expect Cassel to win the competition, but it should be by virtue of his superior skill and not what we gave up to get him. That's retarded.

I'm not sure how the Leinart example helps your argument. If anything, it reaffirms the notion that Thigpen better familiarize himself with the art of clipboard holding.

Leinart was D. Green's draft choice. The new regime went in a different direction, effectively burning the selection. We might see the same thing with Dorsey.

skky man
03-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Cassel is Piloi's stamp on the team. If we do draft another QB it'll be a second round pick that will be an understudy for a couple of years. I watch alot of college football and I think that Sanchez and Stafford are at top of the draft boards cuz of who's not there more than what they've done. Stafford and Sanchez are good but this is kinda like the year Alex Smith was drafted high. Just not a good year for franchise QB's.

Sam Hall
03-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't be a pawn for Al Davis. Matt Cassel is the quarterback of the future.

EyePod
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM
The price for Cassel wasn't cheap in real terms. It's only cheap in comparison to the set price of a 1st and 3rd. Reality is that we traded a high 2nd round pick for a 7th round draft pick with 15 starts in 5 years.

In any case, with Cassel's age, it doesn't strike me as a temporary move. You don't give up the 34th pick in the draft and a salary approaching 15 million for a guy you plan to bench anytime in the near future.

That said, I've never thought drafting a QB in addition to the trade was completely out of the question. It's just very, very unlikely. If it does happen, then I'd imagine the long term goal would be to trade one of them, in the way that San Diego handled Brees and Rivers. But again, very, very (very, very) unlikely.

Practically speaking, the Chiefs have too many holes to fill; they don't have the luxury of spending a second pick on a starting QB.

Is he actually getting that 15 mil? I was hoping that we'd sign him to a smaller contract. What I heard before was that we traded him but still hadn't gotten a contract done.

Oh, and is this thread's original poster just Mecca in disguise?

Silock
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure how the Leinart example helps your argument. If anything, it reaffirms the notion that Thigpen better familiarize himself with the art of clipboard holding.

Leinart was D. Green's draft choice. The new regime went in a different direction, effectively burning the selection. We might see the same thing with Dorsey.

I'm just saying that sometimes, things don't work out the way you expect them to. I'm pretty sure the Cards didn't want to waste that Leinart pick, but it worked out okay.

DeezNutz
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm just saying that sometimes, things don't work out the way you expect them to.

True in football and in life more generally. All too true, in fact.

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Is he actually getting that 15 mil? I was hoping that we'd sign him to a smaller contract. What I heard before was that we traded him but still hadn't gotten a contract done.If he gets a contract, it's likely to be a big one, so either way...

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 11:31 PM

Shit happens. I would be PISSED if it wasn't an open competition. Thigpen has every right to compete for the job. If he can't make the throws, Pioli and Haley will know. They'll make the right decision. I fully expect Cassel to win the competition, but it should be by virtue of his superior skill and not what we gave up to get him. That's retarded.Any "competition" would be token. It's Cassel's job now and you know that as well as I do. To think Thigpen has any shot...that's retarded.

Silock
03-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Any competition is token. It's Cassel's job now and you know that as well as I do. To think Thigpen has any shot now...that's retarded.

I hope so. I REALLY hope that Cassel is better than Thigpen. And I agree that Cassel is THE guy, which is why I really don't see us getting ANOTHER QB, especially in the 1st round. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2nd day draft pick, but I wouldn't be surprised to not see any QB picks.

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Haley's comments on Thigpen have been lukewarm. He's said the kind of things coaches do when they don't really have anything good to say about a guy but they don't want to trash him. "He's a competitor" and so on. My guess is they try to trade him away while he has some value. Just my own opinion, but I think the odds are about as good that Croyle's with the Chiefs in 2009 as they are that Thigpen is. And whether they're able to unload him or not, I think they draft their own developmental guy. But I agree that a first is unlikely.

DeezNutz
03-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Haley's comments on Thigpen have been lukewarm. He's said the kind of things coaches do when they don't really have anything good to say about a guy but they don't want to trash him. "He's a competitor" and so on. My guess is they try to trade him away while he has some value. Just my own opinion, but I think the odds are about as good that Croyle's with the Chiefs in 2009 as they are that Thigpen is. And whether they're able to unload him or not, I think they draft their own developmental guy. But I agree that a first is unlikely.

I'd be shocked if they don't take a QB at some point later in the draft.

I'd be more surprised by this than if both Thigpen and Croyle were cut/released/traded (only a viable possibility for Thigpen, and lukewarm at best, IMO).

Mr. Flopnuts
03-06-2009, 11:47 PM
If Stafford is on the board, you either take him or start the bidding at a first and second rounder, with another first next year.

Lately, I've started to get a feeling that we're going to draft John Parker Wilson in the late rounds. I base this on absolutely nothing.

FYP

FAX
03-06-2009, 11:52 PM
That's how I feel, Mr. DeezNutz. (Well, not literally. I mean, I do not feel Mr. DeezNutz and, if I ever did feel Mr. DeezNutz, that is not how I would feel them - of that, you can be certain.) But, as I was saying, Pioli's history indicates that he likes to have a young QB in development and, obviously, he likes to find them in the later rounds. As for Croyle, he's damaged goods. I can't see this group amassing sufficient faith in him to keep him on board. Thigpen is in an even more delicate situation because he may very well have some trade value - either now or sometime soon.

The Cassel deal spoke volumes. These guys want their own quarterback(s). Not Herm's castoffs.

FAX

keg in kc
03-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Fax seems to be obsessed with feeling DeezNutz.

J Diddy
The way I see it thigpen is the competition. No way we take a 14 million cap hit if a long term deal isn't reached (which would be more costly) if cassell isn't the man.

boogblaster
Thigpen will stay Croyle is history .. Someone will be picked up by august to hold the clipboard and tote water bottles ...

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
That's how I feel, Mr. DeezNutz. (Well, not literally. I mean, I do not feel Mr. DeezNutz and, if I ever did feel Mr. DeezNutz, that is not how I would feel them - of that, you can be certain.) But, as I was saying, Pioli's history indicates that he likes to have a young QB in development and, obviously, he likes to find them in the later rounds. As for Croyle, he's damaged goods. I can't see this group amassing sufficient faith in him to keep him on board. Thigpen is in an even more delicate situation because he may very well have some trade value - either now or sometime soon.

The Cassel deal spoke volumes. These guys want their own quarterback(s). Not Herm's castoffs.

FAX

Me thinks we're starting to merge into one gigantic, uber thread. Football, homo-eroticism. The good life.

I anticipate one last gnashing of teeth for Thigpen believers, as he's shipped for a 3rd or 4th-round pick, which would net far more value than what he currently holds as a player for the Chiefs.

Alas, fun times to be a fan of this organization. Amazing what's transpired in a couple of months.

Halfcan
03-07-2009, 12:12 AM

He said that to project Thigpen as a viable #1 QB to up his draft trade value with Tampa.

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
He said that to project Thigpen as a viable #1 QB to up his draft trade value with Tampa.

I could get on board with this type of theory. Same thing with the draft. Leave some mystery about whether or not we'd pull the trigger on a QB at #3.

KCrockaholic
03-07-2009, 12:23 AM

actually I havent thought of it this way until now. nice idea, and you might be right, i dont know?

Bwana
03-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Bingo

Danman
03-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Trade Thigpen to Tampa. I think they're convinced Tebow is the second coming and they'll be more than happy to have Thigpen run their new pistol this year, then draft Tebow next year.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
It could be that the price was so cheap for Cassel and Vrabel because both Pioli and Bellichek don't think Cassel is the long term answer. But maybe is Cassel is good enough to hold the position for a couple of years until a draftee is ready to go.

I think most people (other than the draft Nazis on this board) think that Sanchez isn't ready to go for awhile.

Maybe the Chiefs trade down to recoup the 2nd and still draft Sanchez. Cassel holds down the fort until the rookie is ready to go and we really don't lose much other than the draft spots we fall in the 2nd round with whomever we traded.

Cassel
Thigpen
Sanchez

cut croyle

Just a thought

If they were going to do anything like that, they would have made a play for a free agent QB and then drafted Sanchez in the first.

I really don't think that happens. I do think they will continue to bring in late round QB's as a matter of practice.

Perhaps not this year with having spent a second on Cassel, and having two other young QB's in Croyle and Thigpen.

But, as time goes on, I think the Chiefs taking a QB late will be a common occurance.

chiefzilla1501
03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Trade Thigpen to Tampa. I think they're convinced Tebow is the second coming and they'll be more than happy to have Thigpen run their new pistol this year, then draft Tebow next year.

Why are people so anxious to trade Thigpen?

Especially given that we have no guarantee that Cassel is going to be great, it's great insurance to have a good, young QB with upside on your bench as a backup. It seems people are so anxious to get rid of players who aren't good enough to be starters, even though Thigpen might be one of the better backups in the league and you're paying him close to nothing. And no, I don't think that's an outlandish claim.

Let the kid develop and learn on the bench. Why are people so anxious to get rid of him? Now is the PERFECT time to patiently wait and see if he can ever develop into a multi-faceted QB.

Manila-Chief
03-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry, if any of this is a repost ... I haven't read all the posts, yet ... I'm typing as I think and look forward to reading when I finish.

First, let me be clear ... I believe (not think or feel but believe) that Pioli believes Cassel is his QBOTF and will NOT ... let me say again ... will no draft a QB at #3 ... if (and he just may) he drafts a QB it will be in the last rounds of the draft ... and, he will do it coz he knows about QB injuries. So, what I'm about to write has no basis in reality ... just wishful thinking ... but, hey, in this lock down news cycle of Pioli what else is there for Chiefs fans to do????

I was thinking of this yesterday after hearing the guys on 810 talk about Shanny winning 1 playoff game since Elway (against N.E.) and Bill Belupchuck winning 0 playoff games with out Brady ... did they not win this past year because Brady was on the bench??? Therefore, a HOF QB is essential for winning multi-SB's.

Side note: the guys on 810, yesterday, said that it was the "dead QB coach that begged Bill/Pioli to draft Brady." Without that pick who knows where Bill/Pioli would be today??? How many teams did Bill coach before he got Brady? And, was it the wisdom of those 2 or the QB coach that they took him? Hmmmmm ... raises questions???

Tony Dungy had some great teams in Tampa but didn't win the SB until he got Manning. Yes, teams with a strong defense and a serviceable QB do win "1" SB. A great QB helps teams win every year.

Disclaimer ... Unlike some on here ... I know I'm not a scout and do not have the necessary info to make an intelligent decision... scouts may determine neither QB will be a QBOTF... But, from where I sit if Sanchez/Stafford (I like Sanchez better) were to be available when we pick, I would have to seriously consider him.

Here's my reasoning:
1. Well, first if there is a trading partner, the wise thing would be to trade back, add picks, and fill a position of need at a more "value" spot (don't have to pay him as much). I don't see that happening unless some team falls in love with one of the QB's &/or OL/DL. But, it is my first choice.

2. The importance of an excellent QB for multi-playoff success (as stated above):

a. It depends upon what we are trying to build ... if we want to win just 1 SB (yeah, right now 1 will be great) then lets build a strong defense and trust any QB to do the job. But, if we want to be like Pitts., N.E., S.F., or Dallas and win multi-SB ... we need a HOF QB. I'm greedy and want many;

b. Cassel did great last year, but he may or may not be the QB that you depend upon to win when the game is on the line. Is he Scott Mitchell or Curt Warner? I sure hope he is a HOF, but just in case... draft Sanchez/Stafford;

c. If Cassel becomes "better than Brady," we can, always, trade Sanchez and recover the draft choice plus a little extra. Sometimes the trade value of these guys increases.

3. Talent ... there is a reason players are drafted late... most of the time it has to do with their skills/talent and in this day/age it's hard for talent to slip by scouts.

a. Yes, there are the Brady's & Montana's, but they are few and too far between. Lots more failure than success. Does Cassel have the talent?;

b. Okay, just maybe Cassel has the talent but was not given the opportunity to show case it coz his coaches at SC chose another QB? Time will tell. But, in case he does not have the talent, we would have another option by drafting Sanchez/Stafford.

3. Hopefully, this will be the last time we draft this high and it may be our only chance at a QBOFT for decades to come. If we are going to draft a QBOFT now is the time.

4. There does not seem to be a player at #3 that warrants the big time money the pick requires??? So, if we can't trade down, then take a QB ... which is paid top $$$ any way. If he does have NFL talent, we will recover our value one way or the other.

5. We have plenty of cap space to do this.

6. We are building for the future and still plenty of time to build the rest of the team.

7. Can't be any worse than one of Carl's drafts.... can it????

Mr. Krab
03-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Is he actually getting that 15 mil? I was hoping that we'd sign him to a smaller contract. What I heard before was that we traded him but still hadn't gotten a contract done.

Oh, and is this thread's original poster just Mecca in disguise?
The only thing i have in common with Mecca is that our names both start with "M". I merely brought up the situation because Cassel is still on his 1 year/franchise deal. It's still early but if we don't sign him long term it increases the chance of us drafting somebody. Also many of the guys don't fit the draft value for the #3 pick. Our first choice is probably to trade down but if we can't then i would think a QB is a good possibility especially if Detroit picks a OT or Curry at #1.

It really depends on what the Chiefs think of Stafford and Sanchez. Just an interesting thought anyway.

Manila-Chief
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM

Shit happens. I would be PISSED if it wasn't an open competition. Thiggy has every right to compete for the job. If he can't make the throws, Pioli and Haley will know. They'll make the right decision. I fully expect Cassel to win the competition, but it should be by virtue of his superior skill and not what we gave up to get him. That's retarded.

On the surface, I think there should be open competition at every position every year. A team needs to play it's best players and you discover those players via competition. But, Cassel needs to work as the 1st. string QB from the get go so he can be prepared for the season. You don't trade for him if you don't believe he will be your starter.

This.

I think we draft one late, and Croyle is cut sometime this summer.

Why wait? Could be because he is on injuried reserves and can't be cut until he comes off. Point, if they were going to cut him they would have already.

Thigpen will stay Croyle is history .. Someone will be picked up by august to hold the clipboard and tote water bottles ...

Could it be that Pioli/Hayley will see Croyle's talent and keep him? Yes, he got hurt, but so did Tom Brady ... going to cut him for that?

I'm not so sure they draft a QB this year ... unless there is one they really do see real potential. They already have a couple or 3 young QB's on the team. They may see potential in any/all of them.

And, let's be clear ... I fully expect our QB's will have far better coaching this year. How can we say any of our leftover QB's were terrible? They had terrible coaches last year.

Perhaps not this year with having spent a second on Cassel, and having two other young QB's in Croyle and Thigpen.

But, as time goes on, I think the Chiefs taking a QB late will be a common occurance.

This!!! Plus, are not Gray and Martin still on the roster? Now, yes it's possible that Haley/Pioli may determine none are NFL QB's and they may all get cut. I agree with you ... it's not like we have a bunch of old guys.

And, yes, I think Pioli will take players at several positions each year with the thought in mind that injuries happen.

King_Chief_Fan
03-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Cassel
Thigpen
Sanchez

cut croyle

Just a thought

sorry, but I only agree with one point of your post....cut Croyle

ChiefRon
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Not. Gonna. Happen.

I would be all for it.

But consider this: if Pioli/Haley think Cassel if the QBOTF, then why risk affecting his confidence by drafting a 1st round QB and putting that much more pressure on him.

Mr. Krab
03-07-2009, 01:12 PM
sorry, but I only agree with one point of your post....cut Croyle
No problem, if we all agreed there wouldn't be anything to talk about.

Mr. Krab
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Not. Gonna. Happen.

I would be all for it.

But consider this: if Pioli/Haley think Cassel if the QBOTF, then why risk affecting his confidence by drafting a 1st round QB and putting that much more pressure on him.
What if they don't think Cassel is the QBOTF but rather just the QB until we can find someone better?

ChiefRon
03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
What if they don't think Cassel is the QBOTF but rather just the QB until we can find someone better?

We can always hope.

Just don't get those hopes up too high. ;)

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
We are either taking Curry if he is there or trading down. And if Stafford is there at 3 which I think there is a better chance than you think, then we dangle Stafford to (ala Minnesota,Tampa or SF) which will bring more draft picks than Sanchez IMO. We will dangle the 3 pick even if Curry is there just to see what we might get which is what any good GM does. :thumb:

But you know damn good and well Schwartz doesn't want to take Stafford if he was trying to trade for Cutler. Do you blame him? Wrapping 40mil of your cap in someone who could be the next Harrington for them. That is why like alot of you are saying that Curry might be their 1st pick or they take a top flight OT.

Either or we are dangling our pick regardless as we should especially when you are in rebuild mode.;)

Brock
03-07-2009, 01:23 PM
We are either taking Curry if he is there or trading down.

I doubt it.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I doubt it.

I already have a bet with "Hamas Jenkins" for all his casino cash and I will be glad to take all of yours as well. We either take Curry or trade down and I win. If we take someone else at 3 then you and Hamas win. How bout it??

:shrug: Put your $$ where your mouth is!!!!!

Brock
03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I already have a bet with "Hamas Jenkins" for all his casino cash and I will be glad to take all of yours as well. We either take Curry or trade down and I win. If we take someone else at 3 then you and Hamas win. How bout it??

You're aware that's not money, right?

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM

The acquisition of Cassel has fundamentally changed the nature of your bet.

The Chiefs aren't drafting a T and they probably aren't taking a QB, so it's almost a certainty that they'll be working to trade down.

Now, if Cassel weren't acquired, then they would have been taking a QB.

In short, your bet is now pointless.

But the point still stands that KC isn't taking Curry at #3. That much has remained consistent.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:07 PM

The Chiefs aren't drafting a T and they probably aren't taking a QB, so it's almost a certainty that they'll be working to trade down.

But the point still stands that KC isn't taking Curry at #3. That much has remained consistent.

Hamas wasn't smart enough to wait until he saw what the Pats did with Cassel so he pops off prior and I 'take' that bet. His loss. However, to your statement we are not taking Curry at 3. Really? What if we don't find any trade down partners and Curry is sitting there? Curry is safe and Pioli can't screw up his very 1st pick as the New Chiefs GM especially now that this is "His Show" now.

The question I have is; Cassel will have the same O-line from last yr that Thigpen did 'IF' Pioli doesn't take a couple of top flight linemen or least one. Does Cassel play as well as Thigpen did last yr with the same O-line? Interesting. I doubt Pioli leaves his QBOTF with the same O-line from last year which no one should be surprised if we take an OL in the first round regardless that we have Albert. But we will trade down to do it or take Curry at 3 if we don't find any trade down partners.

Because we spent the 34th pick and did very little in FA(still a sh**load of cap space) addressing our other 'needs' I really believe that Pioli will dangle (sell) that 3rd pick very aggressively and hopefully we get an additional 1st rd pick and get our 2nd rd pick back if not two 2nd picks or maybe end up with two 1st rd picks and an additional 3rd round pick. God knows we have the cap space for it!

Realistic dreaming here. We will see why "Pioli" is "THEEEEEEE Man" and I will have all of "Hamas Jenkins" casino cash and maybe even Brocks!!!!

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Your 10 grand is lookin good.

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Hamas wasn't smart enough to wait until he saw what the Pats did with Cassel so he pops off prior and I 'take' that bet. His loss. However, to your statement we are not taking Curry at 3. Really? What if we don't find any trade down partners and Curry is sitting there? Curry is safe and Pioli can't screw up his very 1st pick as the New Chiefs GM especially now that this is "His Show" now.

The question I have is; Cassel will have the same O-line from last yr that Thigpen did 'IF' Pioli doesn't take a couple of top flight linemen or least one. Does Cassel play as well as Thigpen did last yr with the same O-line? Interesting. I doubt Pioli leaves his QBOTF with the same O-line from last year which no one should be surprised if we take an OL in the first round regardless that we have Albert. But we will trade down to do it or take Curry at 3 if we don't find any trade down partners.

Because we spent the 34th pick and did very little in FA(still a sh**load of cap space) addressing our other 'needs' I really believe that Pioli will dangle (sell) that 3rd pick very aggressively and hopefully we get an additional 1st rd pick and get our 2nd rd pick back if not two 2nd picks or maybe end up with two 1st rd picks and an additional 3rd round pick. God knows we have the cap space for it!

Realistic dreaming here. We will see why "Pioli" is "THEEEEEEE Man" and I will have all of "Hamas Jenkins" casino cash and maybe even Brocks!!!!

Curry isn't safe.

There's no such thing, and any statement that he's "the safest possible selection" is just another misconception.

If the Chiefs stay at #3 (either because they want to or can't trade out), I'd expect them to take Raji.

Hell, a player like Maclin would be a better selection than Curry at #3.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
You're aware that's not money, right?

The dates of our joining associated with the accumulated $$ says both you and I have a life outside this board:thumb:

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Your 10 grand is lookin good.

Bet what you can cover.

I could give a fuck about casino cash, but I'm not making an honest bet with someone who is not able to hold up his end of the deal.

CanadaKC
03-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Deeznutz...you are insane....

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Deeznutz...you are insane....

Yes, crazy.

Who else could possibly think that a player who would be an ILB in the 3-4 would be a poor selection at #3?

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Curry isn't safe.

There's no such thing, and any statement that he's "the safest possible selection" is just another misconception.

If the Chiefs stay at #3 (either because they want to or can't trade out), I'd expect them to take Raji.

Hell, a player like Maclin would be a better selection than Curry at #3.

I concur that a "mobile tree stump" is essential in the 3-4 so as to take up blockers and free up the LBs to rush. So in essence here you feel that Pioli will not try to see if he can put a better scheme together and better coach Dorsey into that "mobile tree stump" and put Dorsey into a much limited role thus taking Raji at 3.

It's a fair point but I don't see Raji doing any better than Dorsey did last yr quite frankly which leads me to believe he will take Curry and give Dorsey another chance. Yes I know Raji is about 25 to 30lbs heavier than Dorsey but I just have a hunch he will give Dorsey a better opportunity to show he is not a 3-4 nose tackle.

milkman
03-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Drafting a LT and moving Albert to either RT or guard effectively makes that a poor value pick, because you are essentially drafting to fill a need at RT or guard.

Drafting a non pass rushing ILB is also bad value for that pick, and any "expert" that says that Curry can rush the passer is merely speculating with no clear evidence to support it.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Bet what you can cover.

I could give a **** about casino cash, but I'm not making an honest bet with someone who is not able to hold up his end of the deal.

I could give a sh** as well about casino cash and Hamas came after "all" mine FIRST so I talked him into letting me go after "all" his. His ego got in the way and I took advantage of it, as yours did not and are smart of enough not to do that and just bet what I can cover.

Your on at this point for $2750 my friend.:thumb:

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I concur that a "mobile tree stump" is essential in the 3-4 so as to take up blockers and free up the LBs to rush. So in essence here you feel that Pioli will not try to see if he can put a better scheme together and better coach Dorsey into that "mobile tree stump" and put Dorsey into a much limited role thus taking Raji at 3.

It's a fair point but I don't see Raji doing any better than Dorsey did last yr quite frankly which leads me to believe he will take Curry and give Dorsey another chance. Yes I know Raji is about 25 to 30lbs heavier than Dorsey but I just have a hunch he will give Dorsey a better opportunity to show he is not a 3-4 nose tackle.

Actually, it's more like 40 lbs, which amplifies the difference.

NFL.com lists Dorsey at 297, and Raji is listed at 337 by some combine/draft reports.

It's not out of the realm of possibility for Raji to work hard in the weight room (and in the dining room) and play at closer to 350 lbs. This is the body type needed to play the nose.

I don't see Dorsey having any success at NT in a 3-4; we'd have to hope he could succeed at DE, which I still think is a stretch.

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I could give a sh** as well about casino cash and Hamas came after "all" mine FIRST so I talked him into letting me go after "all" his. His ego got in the way and I took advantage of it, as yours did not and are smart of enough not to do that and just bet what I can cover.

Your on at this point for $2750 my friend.:thumb:

I'll take the $2750 bet. You'll probably have to remind me, but I'll honor the agreement nonetheless.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Drafting a LT and moving Albert to either RT or guard effectively makes that a poor value pick, because you are essentially drafting to fill a need at RT or guard.

Drafting a non pass rushing ILB is also bad value for that pick, and any "expert" that says that Curry can rush the passer is merely speculating with no clear evidence to support it.

I'm not saying an OL for sure, all I'm saying is don't be surprised. Well the Curry and the speculation is what I am saying we take a chance on IF we do not find any trade down partners. Raji is too high for a 3rd pick. Pioli trades down to get him and or OL/ DE with another additional 1st rd pick is what very well could happen.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I'll take the $2750 bet. You'll probably have to remind me, but I'll honor the agreement nonetheless.

I know you will I wouldn't think anything else.:thumb:

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not saying an OL for sure, all I'm saying is don't be surprised. Well the Curry and the speculation is what I am saying we take a chance on IF we do not find any trade down partners. Raji is too high for a 3rd pick. Pioli trades down to get him and or OL/ DE with another additional 1st rd pick is what very well could happen.

I'm not sure why you think that Raji is too high at #3 but Curry isn't. The former is far more difficult to find than the latter.

Make no mistake, I like Curry and think he'll be a solid pro. I just don't see him being the type of impact player that one needs to try to get so early in the draft.

There's nothing sexy about getting a fat fucking slob to play DT, but this same slob has to be the cornerstone of any elite defense, like the Ravens. Ngata is a freak and the key cog for that whole unit.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure why you think that Raji is too high at #3 but Curry isn't. The former is far more difficult to find than the latter.

Make no mistake, I like Curry and think he'll be a solid pro. I just don't see him being the type of impact player that one needs to try to get so early in the draft.

There's nothing sexy about getting a fat ****ing slob to play DT, but this same slob has to be the cornerstone of any elite defense, like the Ravens. Ngata is a freak and the key cog for that whole unit.

Hey I think LB is too high as well but I guess I am taking a chance on the fact that Pioli will not call Dorsey a bust yet. You may very well be right and we take the 'slob' at 3 but I say we will trade down to get him just in front of the Broncs. Wouldn't that be excellent!! Here in Denver sports talk land Raji is all but a done deal to them. Go figure:rolleyes:

milkman
03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey I think LB is too high as well but I guess I am taking a chance on the fact that Pioli will not call Dorsey a bust yet. You may very well be right and we take the 'slob' at 3 but I say we will trade down to get him just in front of the Broncs. Wouldn't that be excellent!! Here in Denver sports talk land Raji is all but a done deal to them. Go figure:rolleyes:

Dorsey wouldn't be a bust, but he simply isn't a good fit at NT.

Last season he played heavy, as keg pointed out, and it limited his effectiveness and minimized his explosiveness.

NT has to be a guy that can play at a high level playing at 325-330 or more, and that simply isn't Dorsey.

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Interesting about Denver...

I'm in no way calling Dorsey a bust, nor do I think that Pioli and company are either, but they might well be more committed to a particular scheme than any single player currently on the roster.

Dorsey might be collateral damage.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Ngata is a freak and the key cog for that whole unit.

Utter and thoroughly agree about Ngata but I guess I don't see Raji as a freak like Ngata. That's where I have ?????? :shrug:

Dylan
03-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't believe that Scott Pioli will spend a number 1 on a QB. In fact, I believe Pioli will stay true to his philosophy and trade away the Chiefs first round, 3rd pick.

"New England likes to have four quarterbacks at training camp," Pioli said.

Sorry, I do not have the link to the article below. I'm sure it's still up on online.

Patriots’ Pioli already thinking about next year’s draft

SAN JOSE, Calif. — This week, as the New England Patriots remained in the California Bay Area preparing for today’s game against San Diego, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli was bouncing up and down the West Coast doing some prep work of his own.

Pioli is getting ready for the draft — yes, the 2009 NFL Draft, more than six months from now. But as he explained to a small group of reporters on Friday morning, while many are focused on the week-to-week results of the Patriots this season, the work he and the team’s scouts are doing now is vital to the team’s success going forward.
Case in point: Matt Cassel.

Few in the pro ranks knew anything about the University of Southern California backup. He had played behind Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart, both of whom went on to win the Heisman Trophy and then become high first-round draft picks.

But some thorough work by then-Patriots area scout Matt Russell and a little bit of draft-day strategy led to the unknown commodity landing in New England. Now, of course, Cassel is taking New England into San Diego with a 3-1 record after being thrust into the starting role early in the season opener.

Explains Pioli: “Something that we ask all of our area scouts to do at the major colleges is they have to have a write-up and information on every senior prospect, whether they play or not. Even if they don’t play, they need to give us some information. This is a great reason — USC is loaded. They’ve got backup players that have been drafted before, even before Matt Cassel, and will be drafted in the future.

“Russell was out there, and I was getting ready to go to USC during our West Coast trip, and whenever I go to schools I always call the area scout and the regional scout and get an idea of what I need to look at and he went through the roster and he said there’s a backup quarterback, he was a hotshot coming out of high school, he’s been behind Carson, he’s been behind Leinart, you know, he’s a really interesting guy. He has great tools, strong arm, really good athlete, you should take a look at him.”

When Pioli gets on the USC campus, he sees firsthand what Russell was talking about.
“I watched practice, and I mean [Cassel had a] strong arm, accurate, really good athlete, moves well, he’s covering kicks in practice, he’s doing all the stuff on special teams in practice. This guy’s an interesting prospect.”

"New England likes to have four quarterbacks at training camp," Pioli said, so at the very least Cassel can come in as that fourth guy to take some of the throws. But after the Trojans’ Pro Day in the spring, Cassel has a workout that Russell sticks around for. He impresses the scout even more.

“So [Russell] calls me after the Pro Day and is like, ‘You know, this guy really threw the ball well. He lit it up; he was on.’ And we ended up getting more tape — we get practice tape, we’ve got the 36 passes he threw in his four years,” Pioli says with a chuckle.
While the Patriots had done their diligence and liked what they saw, there were at least two other influential men in the NFL who knew about Cassel: former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who was then in the same position with the Tennessee Titans, and Cassel’s former teammate, Palmer.

“We see him as a draftable guy, but then you’re thinking: the guy’s never played, so maybe we can wait ’til free agency and get him after the draft as a rookie free agent. But during this process, we start to gather information about different players. Now, Norm Chow’s at Tennessee, and he and Matt are like this” — Pioli raises two crossed fingers — “Carson and Matt are like this” — he crosses his fingers again — “and they have the same agent.”

As the second day of the draft that year starts to wind down, Pioli starts to think that New England won’t be able to get Cassel as a rookie free agent, not with two teams that know him so well already trying to recruit him. So the Pats’ final draft pick that weekend was for Cassel.

Pioli heard later that Chow was “blown away” that someone had drafted Cassel. Not because he wasn’t good, but because he figured he had the inside scoop.
“But that’s part of the process,” Pioli emphasized. “Where I had seen the player at this time of year, and one of our area scouts had done his job really well and done it the way he was supposed to do it, he wrote him up and gave me a heads up to take a look at him.

“Now, we don’t know what Matt’s going to be, but that’s a really good example of how the process works.”

And Russell, the scout that turned Pioli on to Cassel, is now a national scout with the Eagles.

“He thinks he’s a rock star now,” Pioli jokes. “He’s got it all figured out.”

R&GHomer
03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't believe that Scott Pioli will spend a number 1 on a QB. In fact, I believe Pioli will stay true to his philosophy and trade away the Chiefs first round, 3rd pick.

"New England likes to have four quarterbacks at training camp," Pioli said.

Sorry, I do not have the link to the article below. I'm sure it's still up on online.

Patriots’ Pioli already thinking about next year’s draft

SAN JOSE, Calif. — This week, as the New England Patriots remained in the California Bay Area preparing for today’s game against San Diego, vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli was bouncing up and down the West Coast doing some prep work of his own.

Pioli is getting ready for the draft — yes, the 2009 NFL Draft, more than six months from now. But as he explained to a small group of reporters on Friday morning, while many are focused on the week-to-week results of the Patriots this season, the work he and the team’s scouts are doing now is vital to the team’s success going forward.
Case in point: Matt Cassel.

Few in the pro ranks knew anything about the University of Southern California backup. He had played behind Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart, both of whom went on to win the Heisman Trophy and then become high first-round draft picks.

But some thorough work by then-Patriots area scout Matt Russell and a little bit of draft-day strategy led to the unknown commodity landing in New England. Now, of course, Cassel is taking New England into San Diego with a 3-1 record after being thrust into the starting role early in the season opener.

Explains Pioli: “Something that we ask all of our area scouts to do at the major colleges is they have to have a write-up and information on every senior prospect, whether they play or not. Even if they don’t play, they need to give us some information. This is a great reason — USC is loaded. They’ve got backup players that have been drafted before, even before Matt Cassel, and will be drafted in the future.

“Russell was out there, and I was getting ready to go to USC during our West Coast trip, and whenever I go to schools I always call the area scout and the regional scout and get an idea of what I need to look at and he went through the roster and he said there’s a backup quarterback, he was a hotshot coming out of high school, he’s been behind Carson, he’s been behind Leinart, you know, he’s a really interesting guy. He has great tools, strong arm, really good athlete, you should take a look at him.”

When Pioli gets on the USC campus, he sees firsthand what Russell was talking about.
“I watched practice, and I mean [Cassel had a] strong arm, accurate, really good athlete, moves well, he’s covering kicks in practice, he’s doing all the stuff on special teams in practice. This guy’s an interesting prospect.”

"New England likes to have four quarterbacks at training camp," Pioli said, so at the very least Cassel can come in as that fourth guy to take some of the throws. But after the Trojans’ Pro Day in the spring, Cassel has a workout that Russell sticks around for. He impresses the scout even more.

“So [Russell] calls me after the Pro Day and is like, ‘You know, this guy really threw the ball well. He lit it up; he was on.’ And we ended up getting more tape — we get practice tape, we’ve got the 36 passes he threw in his four years,” Pioli says with a chuckle.
While the Patriots had done their diligence and liked what they saw, there were at least two other influential men in the NFL who knew about Cassel: former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who was then in the same position with the Tennessee Titans, and Cassel’s former teammate, Palmer.

“We see him as a draftable guy, but then you’re thinking: the guy’s never played, so maybe we can wait ’til free agency and get him after the draft as a rookie free agent. But during this process, we start to gather information about different players. Now, Norm Chow’s at Tennessee, and he and Matt are like this” — Pioli raises two crossed fingers — “Carson and Matt are like this” — he crosses his fingers again — “and they have the same agent.”

As the second day of the draft that year starts to wind down, Pioli starts to think that New England won’t be able to get Cassel as a rookie free agent, not with two teams that know him so well already trying to recruit him. So the Pats’ final draft pick that weekend was for Cassel.

Pioli heard later that Chow was “blown away” that someone had drafted Cassel. Not because he wasn’t good, but because he figured he had the inside scoop.
“But that’s part of the process,” Pioli emphasized. “Where I had seen the player at this time of year, and one of our area scouts had done his job really well and done it the way he was supposed to do it, he wrote him up and gave me a heads up to take a look at him.

“Now, we don’t know what Matt’s going to be, but that’s a really good example of how the process works.”

And Russell, the scout that turned Pioli on to Cassel, is now a national scout with the Eagles.

“He thinks he’s a rock star now,” Pioli jokes. “He’s got it all figured out.”

WOW! great read, thanks for posting it.

It's been fifteen excruciatingly long years since I've been this optimistic about the future of my team. It's almost euphoric. What a stark contrast to how things have been done in the past. These guys mean business.

ChiefRon
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow, that was a good read. Maybe this guy is one of the best. I sure hope so.

Also, I do think our personnel dept will have some turnover, if it hasn't already.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Any "competition" would be token. It's Cassel's job now and you know that as well as I do. To think Thigpen has any shot...that's retarded.

Yep.

Why do people even mention Croyle? What exactly is the point of this?

Is this the last year of his contract? If so, PUP him or settle the motherfucker and kick his ass to the curb with Gray and Martin.

Do it!

And then draft somebody utterly useless like Graham Harrell in the late rounds, because being ghey should never stop being a way of life with the QB element of the Chiefs.

It's like affirmative ghey action; the quota MUST be kept! :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Utter and thoroughly agree about Ngata but I guess I don't see Raji as a freak like Ngata. That's where I have ?????? :shrug:

I understand.

And it would be a risk. But the upside is potentially much greater.

Truthfully, outside of the LT's and the QB's, I think the top of this draft sucks the penis.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Sorry, if any of this is a repost ... I haven't read all the posts, yet ... I'm typing as I think and look forward to reading when I finish.

First, let me be clear ... I believe (not think or feel but believe) that Pioli believes Cassel is his QBOTF and will NOT ... let me say again ... will no draft a QB at #3 ... if (and he just may) he drafts a QB it will be in the last rounds of the draft ... and, he will do it coz he knows about QB injuries. So, what I'm about to write has no basis in reality ... just wishful thinking ... but, hey, in this lock down news cycle of Pioli what else is there for Chiefs fans to do????

I was thinking of this yesterday after hearing the guys on 810 talk about Shanny winning 1 playoff game since Elway (against N.E.) and Bill Belupchuck winning 0 playoff games with out Brady ... did they not win this past year because Brady was on the bench??? Therefore, a HOF QB is essential for winning multi-SB's.

Side note: the guys on 810, yesterday, said that it was the "dead QB coach that begged Bill/Pioli to draft Brady." Without that pick who knows where Bill/Pioli would be today??? How many teams did Bill coach before he got Brady? And, was it the wisdom of those 2 or the QB coach that they took him? Hmmmmm ... raises questions???

Tony Dungy had some great teams in Tampa but didn't win the SB until he got Manning. Yes, teams with a strong defense and a serviceable QB do win "1" SB. A great QB helps teams win every year.

Disclaimer ... Unlike some on here ... I know I'm not a scout and do not have the necessary info to make an intelligent decision... scouts may determine neither QB will be a QBOTF... But, from where I sit if Sanchez/Stafford (I like Sanchez better) were to be available when we pick, I would have to seriously consider him.

Here's my reasoning:
1. Well, first if there is a trading partner, the wise thing would be to trade back, add picks, and fill a position of need at a more "value" spot (don't have to pay him as much). I don't see that happening unless some team falls in love with one of the QB's &/or OL/DL. But, it is my first choice.

2. The importance of an excellent QB for multi-playoff success (as stated above):

a. It depends upon what we are trying to build ... if we want to win just 1 SB (yeah, right now 1 will be great) then lets build a strong defense and trust any QB to do the job. But, if we want to be like Pitts., N.E., S.F., or Dallas and win multi-SB ... we need a HOF QB. I'm greedy and want many;

b. Cassel did great last year, but he may or may not be the QB that you depend upon to win when the game is on the line. Is he Scott Mitchell or Curt Warner? I sure hope he is a HOF, but just in case... draft Sanchez/Stafford;

c. If Cassel becomes "better than Brady," we can, always, trade Sanchez and recover the draft choice plus a little extra. Sometimes the trade value of these guys increases.

3. Talent ... there is a reason players are drafted late... most of the time it has to do with their skills/talent and in this day/age it's hard for talent to slip by scouts.

a. Yes, there are the Brady's & Montana's, but they are few and too far between. Lots more failure than success. Does Cassel have the talent?;

b. Okay, just maybe Cassel has the talent but was not given the opportunity to show case it coz his coaches at SC chose another QB? Time will tell. But, in case he does not have the talent, we would have another option by drafting Sanchez/Stafford.

3. Hopefully, this will be the last time we draft this high and it may be our only chance at a QBOFT for decades to come. If we are going to draft a QBOFT now is the time.

4. There does not seem to be a player at #3 that warrants the big time money the pick requires??? So, if we can't trade down, then take a QB ... which is paid top $$$ any way. If he does have NFL talent, we will recover our value one way or the other.

5. We have plenty of cap space to do this.

6. We are building for the future and still plenty of time to build the rest of the team.

7. Can't be any worse than one of Carl's drafts.... can it????

I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see you and others hop on board the DCS Train To Glory!

Tis a long and "head in palm against short-sightedness"-road we travel, but by God; we will reach our destination, and the True Fans shall be ERADICATED@! Bwu-Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

:fire::rockon::fire:

Mr. Krab
03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see you and others hop on board the DCS Train To Glory!

Tis a long and "head in palm against short-sightedness"-road we travel, but by God; we will reach our destination, and the True Fans shall be ERADICATED@! Bwu-Hahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

:fire::rockon::fire:
wow, are you 12?

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 08:04 PM
wow, are you 12?

Yes. Yes I am. Can't you tell by my picture?

Well, it's been fun, but I have to go homunculise an egregor; chow!

T-post Tom
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Someone is not familiar with the "Patriot Way".

Manila-Chief
03-07-2009, 11:52 PM
WOW! great read, thanks for posting it.

It's been fifteen excruciatingly long years since I've been this optimistic about the future of my team. It's almost euphoric. What a stark contrast to how things have been done in the past. These guys mean business.

I agree it was a good read. Thanks Dylan!

And, finally I am optimistic. May not come this year or next year but we will get there.

From the article it does look like Cassel has the talent and just didn't get a chance to express it on the field. Just maybe we have our franchise QB for only a 2nd. round pick.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Someone is not familiar with the "Patriot Way".

I will dash the "Patriot Way" to the ground, and crush it beneath my boot heel!