PDA

View Full Version : Life Online cigarettes

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Since Arkansas has followed other states with their sin tax on smokes, Bob Dole is back to looking at online sources. (Or driving to Louisiana once a month...) Do any of the remaining smokers here buy online, and do you have any recommendations for sources? $48/carton at the neighborhood smoke shop is getting just a little ridiculous.

Dick Bull
03-07-2009, 09:26 AM
$48 a carton? Holy shit.

chiefsfanintx
03-07-2009, 09:31 AM
I live in East Texas and I also drive to Louisiana to buy cigarettes.

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
$48 a carton? Holy shit.

Holy shit is right. Bob Dole paid $38 before leaving for Galveston Tuesday and came back yesterday to find the new tax in force.

Hell, it's getting so a guy can't even afford to kill himself.

Bugeater
03-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Bob Dole should look into rolling his own, that may be the only way to smoke inexpensively any more.

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I live in East Texas and I also drive to Louisiana to buy cigarettes.

They were still under $30 last year in Bossier City. How much are they running in LA now?

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Bob Dole should look into rolling his own, that may be the only way to smoke inexpensively any more.

It's a serious pain in the ass. Bob Dole has one of those inexpensive machines that uses the filter tubes, but it's time consuming and tough to get it right consistently.

chiefsfanintx
03-07-2009, 09:36 AM
About the same. It depends on where you go. I buy mine at the Racetrack gas station on hwy 80 in Bossier City.

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
About the same. It depends on where you go. I buy mine at the Racetrack gas station on hwy 80 in Bossier City.

Bob Dole was getting them at the Murphy Oil on Airline. Other than the helmet law, it's not a bad little bike trip to go grab a month's supply.

Simply Red
03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Ebay?

OnTheWarpath58
03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Not necessarily directed at you, Scott, but at what price do people start deciding to quit, versus paying $50 for a carton of cancer sticks?

A 2-pack-a-day smoker is spending over $300/month on cigarettes.

If a 6-pack of Sam Adams Light ever breaks the $10-$15 mark, I see myself giving up drinking.

splatbass
03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I buy from http://www.smokes-spirits.com/

Cigarettes here are almost $60 a carton, $6.50 a pack if you buy them by the pack. I get USA Gold (Which taste like my preferred brand Marlboro) for $25 a carton plus $4 shipping from Smokes Spirits.

Hydrae
03-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Not necessarily directed at you, Scott, but at what price do people start deciding to quit, versus paying $50 for a carton of cancer sticks?

If a 6-pack of Sam Adams Light ever breaks the $10-$15 mark, I see myself giving up drinking.

Due to economics I have cut back on my cigarette intake. This is not due to any desire to quit, simple economics has driven my decision.

I have cut down from being a light smoker (about 1/2 pack a day or a little more) to only smoking 5 cigs a day. Yes, I am rationing myself because the other option is completely quitting and I am not ready to do that. I have gone for up to a week without smokes since the first of the year but once there is some "free" money I can use in that manner, I buy a pack (2 packs purchased last night should last me all week at this rate).

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM

That's an interesting question. Even more interesting is asking what other vices they'll decide to tax when they realize that they've taxed people right out of their bad habits and their latest price hike actually resulted in a net DECREASE in revenues.

Cheeseburger and pizza tax, anyone?

OnTheWarpath58
03-07-2009, 10:16 AM
That's an interesting question. Even more interesting is asking what other vices they'll decide to tax when they realize that they've taxed people right out of their bad habits and their latest price hike actually resulted in a net DECREASE in revenues.

That is part of the reason why I asked.

I'm guessing that Big Tobacco has already figured out, or at least guesstimated the tipping point, where the states can be happy with the extra revenue, and the tobacco companies are still raking in monster profits.

I'd have to think that at $50/carton, we're getting pretty damn close to that tipping point.

splatbass
03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
That is part of the reason why I asked.

I'm guessing that Big Tobacco has already figured out, or at least guesstimated the tipping point, where the states can be happy with the extra revenue, and the tobacco companies are still raking in monster profits.

I'd have to think that at $50/carton, we're getting pretty damn close to that tipping point.

We're over $50 a carton here, and there hasn't been a drop in smoking.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Since Arkansas has followed other states with their sin tax on smokes, Bob Dole is back to looking at online sources. (Or driving to Louisiana once a month...) Do any of the remaining smokers here buy online, and do you have any recommendations for sources? $48/carton at the neighborhood smoke shop is getting just a little ridiculous.

Well, I buy mine from the Indians because WA state has the highest taxes in the nation. My beloved Marb reds run $55 a carton + sales tax on all that tax. We also have a .61 cent nationwide excise tax getting ready to go into effect, and Phillip Morris has decided that tax is going to make some people quit smoking and they need to recoup that revenue and are raising their prices another .65 a pack as well. That's pretty much $12.60 a carton that they will be going up nationwide here in the next 3 months.

But I digress, back to the lecture at hand. I had an uncle who bought his smokes online 1 time. Once. Within 30 days the state of WA sent him a letter saying if he did it again, he'd get a tax bill and a fine in the mail. I suggest you drive to LA once a month and pay in cash good senator. The states take it pretty seriously when you circumvent their efforts to steal from you.

Frazod
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I think they're around $43 a carton up here (last time I noticed a sign with a price on it, anyway). In Chicago, however, they're just outrageous - in the little convenience store in my office, they go for $8 a pack.

When I smoked, I'd fill up the trunk in Missouri when I went home, but obviously I couldn't do that all the time. If I still smoked, I'd probably buy the filtered tubes and make my own. Whatever pain in the ass it was would be offset by the idea that was getting over on the police state. Plus, if you roll your own, you can use 100% tobacco instead of all the extra filler crap.

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
But I digress, back to the lecture at hand. I had an uncle who bought his smokes online 1 time. Once. Within 30 days the state of WA sent him a letter saying if he did it again, he'd get a tax bill and a fine in the mail. I suggest you drive to LA once a month and pay in cash good senator. The states take it pretty seriously when you circumvent their efforts to steal from you.

That looks like what's probably going to happen, though they are going to get jacked too with Our Savior's new excise tax.

What a great fucking country!

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I use to but most are $22 dollars a carton now. I get Marlboro for 20.55 with my coupons. Marlboro sent me

I am quitting again, fuck it is stupid. I have quit twice for 2 + years and went back because of traveling plans. Same place both times.

Fuck it, I will still smoke a joint every month.

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
See IM

OmegaRed
03-07-2009, 10:53 AM
All cigarettes here in Anchorage Alaska has gone up to $85 per carton. I've cut down to 6 or less per day and now I"m thinking about quiting altogether. For me, buying online, even with shipping to AK would be worth it but I figure with these new high prices it's the perfect time to try and quit. If I don't do it now I may never.

Herzig
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
This thread makes Herzig grateful that he quit this no good habit 14 years ago. At a pack a day, it probably has saved him around $20K over that time.

eazyb81
03-07-2009, 10:57 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens when the SCHIP tax goes into effect. I wonder if we'll see a lot of people finally say enough.

Is chewing tobacco any cheaper?

Balto
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Just smoke a pipe!!! It's dirt cheap to buy!!! Fast and easy to pack!!!! Can put alot or small amount in the bowl (what ever you have time for). Anyone can carry a pipe in a pocket or somewhere.

PLus everyoen will love the smell it gives off

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 11:05 AM
That looks like what's probably going to happen, though they are going to get jacked too with Our Savior's new excise tax.

What a great fucking country!

Seriously. Smokes will go up about $12 a carton within the next 3 months. The writing is on the wall, fat people and food are next. Then they'll take another crack at alcohol. Comply motherfuckers. Or we will break you financially.

Bob Dole
03-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Just smoke a pipe!!! It's dirt cheap to buy!!! Fast and easy to pack!!!! Can put alot or small amount in the bowl (what ever you have time for). Anyone can carry a pipe in a pocket or somewhere.

Oddly enough, at the bar in the hotel in Galveston, they allowed cigarette smoking but NOT cigars or pipes.

Frazod
03-07-2009, 11:10 AM

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke now (although I can happily report that this hasn't turned me into a fascist cocksucker), but the smell of pipe smoke is still wonderful. Some guy was smoking a pipe at the bus stop one day and I deliberately stood next to him just so I could breathe it in.

Bugeater
03-07-2009, 11:16 AM
It's there in my opinion, I quit a couple weeks ago and the cost was far and away the #1 factor.

Stewie
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
If they're approaching $50/carton, what's the catch on a place like this?

http://www.k2smokes.ch/products.cfm?brandID=10

Bugeater
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
If they're approaching $50/carton, what's the catch on a place like this?

http://www.k2smokes.ch/products.cfm?brandID=10
Post #17, 2nd paragraph.

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 11:21 AM
All cigarettes here in Anchorage Alaska has gone up to $85 per carton. I've cut down to 6 or less per day and now I"m thinking about quiting altogether. For me, buying online, even with shipping to AK would be worth it but I figure with these new high prices it's the perfect time to try and quit. If I don't do it now I may never.

I actually enjoy smoking. Have went with major periods without and did not start until I was 24.

I would never smoke unless I bumm one @ 85 per carton.

WTF $8 dollars a pack?

Would have to be a preacher at that point.

Stewie
03-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Post #17, 2nd paragraph.

I missed that. Big Brother really is watching.

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I have also noticed that since the .53 cents a pack that manufactures have dumped me with lots of coupons. I have 2 cartons left and I am quitting again.

Sin tax is easy to approve. I just hope it last longer than 2 years this time.

Thig Lyfe
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Smoking is bad for you.

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Smoking is bad for you.

Until you have a smoking grandma that died at 98?

Tiger's Fan
03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I get mine at the reservation north of Topeka for $11.50 a carton. Indian brand, Seneca. 90 minute drive, but well worth the trip once every two months. I save mucho $.

ElGringo
03-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I am happily going to continue smoking, even though the price did just go up to 28 pesos a pack. That is less than 2.80 in American dollars, I am just glad I don't have to deal with the government telling me what to do anymore (okay they aren't telling you to quit, but as said above, quit or we will financially break you)

StcChief
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Oddly enough, at the bar in the hotel in Galveston, they allowed cigarette smoking but NOT cigars or pipes.
it should be the other way around.

C-Mac
03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
This thread makes Herzig grateful that he quit this no good habit 14 years ago. At a pack a day, it probably has saved him around $20K over that time.

Ditto that....

Smed1065
03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Another asshole that is quitting.

I have done so before at 2 year intervals. I actuallly like smoking but fuck it,

I give.

I can post here and be a dick, its good for me!

ROFL

Wait, I already do :cuss: that!

Stewie
03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I get mine at the reservation north of Topeka for $11.50 a carton. Indian brand, Seneca. 90 minute drive, but well worth the trip once every two months. I save mucho $.

Is that in Horton?

stevieray
03-07-2009, 01:27 PM
i haven't bought top shelf smokes in years...2 bucks a pack...that's all they'll get from me.

people pay more for water and coffee and milk by the gallon than they do gas...

Thig Lyfe
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Until you have a smoking grandma that died at 98?

Could've lived to 112.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Could've lived to 112.

Yeah but by the time she hit 98 she wished she'd been dead for 15 years already.

Moon§hiner
03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Beware of where you live if you buy online. I purchased cheap cigs for 6 months and the fine state of Kansas sent me a tax bill for 180 bucks...worked out to same price I was paying at my local convenience store + shipping. The government is forcing a lot of these places to report the sales to individuals.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm gonna quit. My plan was by the end of this year, but it just got moved up. I just bought a month's load yesterday, I'll have to stretch them out to 3 months or so and just give it up. I've never been much of a quitter on terms like these, but murphy's law and all. He who makes the gold makes the rules.

I'm actually not unhappy about it. I'll definitely miss cigarettes. But I'm looking forward to not shouldering non smokers tax burdens. I am most definitely looking forward to chuckling at them every time it turns on them in the future. Food's next. Then booze. Maybe even simultaneously.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
P.S - We're already doing it in the credit market. People are being foreclosed on, and then won't be able to rent apartments and get jobs because of their personal credit. That's the way it is up here in Seattle. If you haven't experienced it yet, get ready. Comply. Or we will break you financially.

Hydrae
03-07-2009, 03:40 PM
P.S - We're already doing it in the credit market. People are being foreclosed on, and then won't be able to rent apartments and get jobs because of their personal credit. That's the way it is up here in Seattle. If you haven't experienced it yet, get ready. Comply. Or we will break you financially.

That would be a horrible situation to be in. What are people doing to live in those cases?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 03:42 PM
That would be a horrible situation to be in. What are people doing to live in those cases?

I'll dig up a link to the story I saw on the news about the homeless camp of foreclosed homeowners getting kicked out of every place they set up within days. It's fucking terrible. But I know, they deserve it. Not that you think that Hy, but many others on this board. I'll link it to this post when I find it.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-07-2009, 03:46 PM

I'll dig up a link to the story I saw on the news about the homeless camp of foreclosed homeowners getting kicked out of every place they set up within days. It's fucking terrible. But I know, they deserve it. I'll link it to this post when I find it.

Edit: I'm having a hard time finding video. Here's a link until I do.

http://www.foreclosurelistings.com/blog/foreclosed-house/foreclosures-lead-to-tent-cities-for-the-homeless.htm

Hydrae
03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I'll dig up a link to the story I saw on the news about the homeless camp of foreclosed homeowners getting kicked out of every place they set up within days. It's ****ing terrible. But I know, they deserve it. I'll link it to this post when I find it.

Edit: I'm having a hard time finding video. Here's a link until I do.

http://www.foreclosurelistings.com/blog/foreclosed-house/foreclosures-lead-to-tent-cities-for-the-homeless.htm

I am amazed at how much we tie to credit scores these days. If I found myself in deep doo-doo right now I would be screwed. I have no debt outside of one car and my house but due to late pay issues my credit sucks big time. I have never defaulted on any bills though. I do not have any credit cards currently (paid them off last year when I knew my pay was going to drop dramatically) which actually hurts my score due to not having open lines of credit.

MIAdragon
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM

:cuss: