PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Upgrading the O-line - remaining free agents, Barry Richardson, the draft, etc...

shammus
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
So as it stands now, we really need at least three new starters on our O-line for next season. I'm glad we got Albert during last year's draft but we really needed more than just him. Instead, we went into the 2008 season with an unproven center who was really too tall for the position, a journeyman backup at right guard and an immoble, injury prone right tackle. We saw how that worked out. After seeing QB after QB get clobbered for us last year, I'm surprised we didn't make more of a play for some upgrades on the oline during free agency so we'd have fewer holes to fill during the draft. We don't want to get Cassel killed after all.

Most, if not all of the quality Olinemen available in free agency have been signed already. I'd still be up for signing someone if it would be an upgrade over what we have. Mark Tauscher, John St. Clair, Marvel Smith and even Khalif Barnes are still available as possible upgrades for the RT spot. I know a lot of people on the board don't like Barnes, but would any of the others be worthy of consideration for upgrading that position?

The draft seems to be deep for centers and guards. We can find starters for those two positions in rounds 3-5 as well. A big reason I was hoping to find a RT in free agency is so we'd have fewer holes on the Oline heading into the draft. Our defensive front seven needs a lot of work too.

Not sure if there's anyone else on our roster who could be a suitable replacement for MacIntosh. There's Barry Richardson who we drafted as a project in the 6th round last year. He's known for being better at run blocking than pass protection. Since tackles have to work in space more than guards, that poses as somewhat of a problem. He's not known for quick footwork either and is somewhat slow. Sort of like Phil Loadholt in this year's draft.

Aside from Richardson, we appear to be short on candidates in-house. Herb Taylor perhaps? Any thoughts on Niswanger possibly making the transition over to right guard? He's got the size for the position and that might suit his strengths a little more it seems...

In my eyes, significant upgrades on our oline should have really taken place last year but we ended up sort of neglecting that area during last year's offseason. Doesn't seem like we're doing too much for it this offseason either unfortunately which is sort of surprising given the cap room we have and the fact that there's a new franchise QB in place now.

ChiefRon
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Barnes signed with the Raiders

kcchiefsus
03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Barnes signed with the Raiders

Uhh, no he didn't. He left Oakland without a contract.

Hog Farmer
03-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Why not take Dorsey and make him our Right Tackle. According to CP experts he won't be of any use to us now that Pioli took over.

shammus
03-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I've seen multiple reports from Rotoworld and other places posted in the past 12 hours that say Barnes wouldn't be signing with Oakland.

SNR
03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Mark Tauscher from the Packers would be an EXCELLENT pick up

aturnis
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Mark Tauscher from the Packers would be an EXCELLENT pick up

Tauscher might be 32(?) but in 10 yrs. experience has still given up less sacks than Barnes has in his 5 yrs. I don't think Barnes is a guy I'd want on my team.

SNR
03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Tauscher might be 32(?) but in 10 yrs. experience has still given up less sacks than Barnes has in his 5 yrs. I don't think Barnes is a guy I'd want on my team.I just looked it up. 31. But who's counting? Plus, apart from his season ending injury in 2002, he's been healthy as a horse. He would definitely last another 3 years with us AT LEAST

aturnis
03-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Really not a single one of those RT's you mentioned worth picking up outside of Tauscher...and he's 32.

KCrockaholic
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Why not take Dorsey and make him our Right Tackle. According to CP experts he won't be of any use to us now that Pioli took over.

actually he would probably make a perfect center, lol. 6'2 302....hows that for the #5 pick. :shake:

EyePod
03-07-2009, 02:37 PM
You do realize that we just got the most sacked starting QB in the NFL, right? Matt Cassel was sacked more than any other starter with 47 sacks. BTW, Ben Roethlisberger was 2nd with 46, and he won the fucking SB. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm betting it isn't good.

Count Alex's Wins
03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I met Mark Tauscher's cousin in a bar last summer in River Falls...almost boned her.

Delano
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure what Niswanger's problem is, but I don't think it is height.

The top four centers in the draft (Wood, Unger, Mack, Luigs) and Niswanger are in the 6'4" - 6'5" range.

Maybe Caldwell or Shipley are good options in the 4th-5th range.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure what Niswanger's problem is, but I don't think it is height.

He sucks. Bad footwork, doesn't know how to use leverage correctly and he's not strong enough to be a center. Height is the least of his worries.

He's a serviceable backup at best.

The Chiefs will trade back at least once in the first round and grab extra picks. The draft is loaded with players that instantly upgrade (and in some cases are future Pro Bowlers) the offensive line. Mack, Unger, Johnson, Caldwell, Wood, Urbick, etc.

There's no way they go into the season with Niswanger, Jones & Sackintosh.

Delano
03-07-2009, 03:18 PM
He sucks. Bad footwork, doesn't know how to use leverage correctly and he's not strong enough to be a center. Height is the least of his worries.

He's a serviceable backup at best.

The Chiefs will trade back at least once in the first round and grab extra picks. The draft is loaded with players that instantly upgrade (and in some cases are future Pro Bowlers) the offensive line. Mack, Unger, Johnson, Caldwell, Wood, Urbick, etc.

There's no way they go into the season with Niswanger, Jones & Sackintosh.

Does Mack have the multiple-position versatility that Unger has or is he just a really smart, strong center?

whoman69
03-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I met Mark Tauscher's cousin in a bar last summer in River Falls...almost boned her.

OMG, I want to know about your definition of almost is. Jacking off later that night after not being able to mumble "Hi" is not almost boning her.

DaneMcCloud
03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Does Mack have the multiple-position versatility that Unger has or is he just a really smart, strong center?

Mack's just a great center.

Personally, I prefer Unger at guard and someone like Caldwell, Luigs or Wood at center. Unger isn't as strong as the other "dedicated" centers but he's very athletic. And smart.

aturnis
03-07-2009, 04:16 PM

...but then you didn't right? Am I right? You didn't?

Count Alex's Wins
03-07-2009, 04:20 PM
OMG, I want to know about your definition of almost is. Jacking off later that night after not being able to mumble "Hi" is not almost boning her.

She chose the bartender over me.

KCDC
03-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Pioli's lack of interest in pursuing an OL free agent may indicate that he is planning to use pick #3 on Jason Smith or Monroe, instead of the popular belief that it will be Curry. If he can't trade down, it seems to me that one of those three is the best. Though we have a good LT in Albert, switching him to the right side and use him as the back-up LT would be very valuable.

Also, Jacksonville, for example, and other teams desperate for an OL might decide by their pick that they would rather have Smith or Monroe and agree to trade their #8 and a third rounder to get Smith or Monroe from us. That would not be bad.

FAX
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Drafting a left tackle at 3 would be tough to do, Mr. KCDC. It would be even tougher to explain the economics of that move to Clark without him going all Guantanamo Interview on Pioli's ass.

FAX

milkman
03-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Pioli's lack of interest in pursuing an OL free agent may indicate that he is planning to use pick #3 on Jason Smith or Monroe, instead of the popular belief that it will be Curry. If he can't trade down, it seems to me that one of those three is the best. Though we have a good LT in Albert, switching him to the right side and use him as the back-up LT would be very valuable.

Also, Jacksonville, for example, and other teams desperate for an OL might decide by their pick that they would rather have Smith or Monroe and agree to trade their #8 and a third rounder to get Smith or Monroe from us. That would not be bad.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Using to the 3rd overall pick to essentially fill the need at RT is piss poor value for that pick.
Drafting Monroe or Smith is effectively doing just that.

Padfoot
03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
She chose the bartender over me.

ouch!

Count Alex's Wins
03-07-2009, 08:01 PM
It's OK, she had good taste. I was 245 pounds at the time.

The_Doctor10
03-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Really not a single one of those RT's you mentioned worth picking up outside of Tauscher...and he's 32.

So? O-linemen for whatever reason seem fine playing 12-15 years, well into their mid-late thirties. He's surely got at least 2 or 3 more productive seasons in him.