PDA

View Full Version : Life Lifting in a group - we need a policy change.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I was out for a jog today and saw a group of construction workers attempting to lift a heavy piece of equipment into a pickup bed. As I went by, I heard the leader say, "On three!"

"On three!" always confuses me, because I never know if I'm supposed to lift when the leader says "three" or on the next beat afterward. You know, are you supposed to lift on this sequence

One...(pause)...Two...(pause)...THREE(lift immediately)

or on this sequence

One...(pause)...Two...(pause)...Three...(pause)...(LIFT!)

I think we should change this to be a "Lift on zero" system. You count down and do this:

Three...(pause)...Two...(pause)...One...(pause)...ZERO(lift immediately).

There's no ambiguity in my new system, whereas I think the old system has room for misinterpretation. What say ye in the matter of "Lift on three"?

morphius
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
On three should mean when you say three, it is when you say that you'll count to three that gets confusing.

luv
03-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I was out for a jog today and saw a group of construction workers attempting to lift a heavy piece of equipment into a pickup bed. As I went by, I heard the leader say, "On three!"

"On three!" always confuses me, because I never know if I'm supposed to lift when the leader says "three" or on the next beat afterward. You know, are you supposed to lift on this sequence

One...(pause)...Two...(pause)...THREE(lift immediately)

or on this sequence

One...(pause)...Two...(pause)...Three...(pause)...(LIFT!)

I think we should change this to be a "Lift on zero" system. You count down and do this:

Three...(pause)...Two...(pause)...One...(pause)...ZERO(lift immediately).

There's no ambiguity in my new system, whereas I think the old system has room for misinterpretation. What say ye in the matter of "Lift on three"?

Why wouldn't you pause after zero? Lift on three mean you lift on three.

cdcox
03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Giant monkey wrench of slackerness heading your way:

Three...(pause)...Two...(pause)...One...(pause)...ZERO...(pause)... (Lift!).

I always lift on the earliest possible count that anyone else will be lifting, because there is nothing worse than a slacker. Everyone should be a first born son or at least 50% German, ftw.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Why wouldn't you pause after zero? Lift on three mean you lift on three.

Because rockets launch on zero. And nobody would lift on "negative one". Zero makes sense. Three doesn't.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I always lift on the earliest possible count that anyone else will be lifting, because there is nothing worse than a slacker. Everyone should be a first born son or at least 50% German, ftw.

But doing so puts you at risk. If you and I were lifting something, you would lift on three and I would still be waiting for "LIFT!" on beat four, and your spinal cord would rip out of your skin and flop around like an eel on a fishing line.

luv
03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Because rockets launch on zero. And nobody would lift on "negative one". Zero makes sense. Three doesn't.

If you pause AFTER three, then you're not lifting ON three. You'd be lifting on four, even though you don't say four.

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:05 PM
It's on three. When the man says "three" you lift.

It's not complicated.

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
But doing so puts you at risk. If you and I were lifting something, you would lift on three and I would still be waiting for "LIFT!" on beat four, and your spinal cord would rip out of your skin and flop around like an eel on a fishing line.

As I lifted, the heavy object would slide upon you and crush you like the cock roach that you are, because I am both a first born son and 50% German, so I am awesome and cannot be defeated by your slackerness.

KS Smitty
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Really Rainman, if someone says lift on three then when they say three you lift. :rolleyes: Now if they say lift after three you would wait a beat. However I have found that when a group is lifting something heavy they are all looking at each other during the count so that when one person starts the lift everyone else joins in.

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I wanted to vote, but there was no option for, "Rain Man's a silly bastard, and this poll makes no sense."

Ari Chi3fs
03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Is it break time, yet?

T-post Tom
03-07-2009, 11:12 PM
didn't i see this in a movie?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fAqpcuIqODo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fAqpcuIqODo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:14 PM
If you pause AFTER three, then you're not lifting ON three. You'd be lifting on four, even though you don't say four.

But "three" technically lasts until "four" is said, which is by definition a full beat later. Why does "three" mean 3.00 and not 3.50 or 3.99. I can lift right before "four" and I'm still lifting on "three".

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it break time, yet?Only if you're in the union.

(I'm kidding. Bein' in a union aint all it's cracked up to be.)

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:16 PM
But "three" technically lasts until "four" is said, which is by definition a full beat later. Why does "three" mean 3.00 and not 3.50 or 3.99. I can lift right before "four" and I'm still lifting on "three".I suppose you could wait till 3.9999999, if that's the kinda guy you wanna be.

KS Smitty
03-07-2009, 11:18 PM
But "three" technically lasts until "four" is said, which is by definition a full beat later. Why does "three" mean 3.00 and not 3.50 or 3.99. I can lift right before "four" and I'm still lifting on "three".

I have to agree with kcmizzou: you really are silly. That being said it it's a team effort and if you aren't paying attention to when everyone else lifts it's kinda like the WR running the wrong route and the QB throwing an Int. Or some other analogy.

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM

You've coached many of our OT, haven't you?

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I suppose you could wait till 3.9999999, if that's the kinda guy you wanna be.

I think what bothers me, now that I think about it, is that people start at "1" in the count. They should start at "0". It's like how a child isn't one year old until 12 months have passed.

If you say, "one...(pause)...two...(pause)...three", there are only two beats in there. You should say "zero...(pause)...one...(pause)...two...(pause)...three". In the latter system, I would lift when 'three' is uttered because three beats have elapsed. In the first system, only two beats have elapsed when 'three' is uttered, which creates confusion.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
You've coached many of our OT, haven't you?

I think Chester McGlockton was a guy who lifted on 'three', which was why he was offsides so often.

luv
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I have to agree with kcmizzou: you really are silly. That being said it it's a team effort and if you aren't paying attention to when everyone else lifts it's kinda like the WR running the wrong route and the QB throwing an Int. Or some other analogy.

Smitty!

Hey woman! What alcohol are we gonna kill at the bash this year?

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM

But the whole purpose of saying 'lift on three' is to eliminate the uncertainty and the need to watch the other people. It should be unambiguous.

I'll bet there are tens of millions of health care dollars spent because of the 'lift on three' system, whereas the 'lift on zero' system would completely eliminate team lifting injuries. Does Obama have a suggestion box?

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:24 PM
one...(get ready to tense my muscles)...two...(tense my muscles)...three (lift! or dump this load on the (non -50%-German-or-non-first-born-son) slacker).

luv
03-07-2009, 11:24 PM
But the whole purpose of saying 'lift on three' is to eliminate the uncertainty and the need to watch the other people. It should be unambiguous.

I'll bet there are tens of millions of health care dollars spent because of the 'lift on three' system, whereas the 'lift on zero' system would completely eliminate team lifting injuries.

Why would you automatically lift on zero if you don't automatically lift on three?

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:26 PM

I'll bet there are tens of millions of health care dollars spent because of the 'lift on three' system, whereas the 'lift on zero' system would completely eliminate team lifting injuries. Does Obama have a suggestion box?It is!

When they say "three" you go.

It's really that simple.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Why would you automatically lift on zero if you don't automatically lift on three?

As I mentioned earlier, it's the rocket thing. Liftoff happens at zero. Everyone knows that.

Plus, per post 19, if you start counting at three, then three beats elapse before you start lifting.

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Did DaFace ask you to help him move or something?

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Rain Man's superior intellect has caused him to pass the point of no return.

Poor guy can't even relate with a simple concept like, "Lift on three."

He's like our own personal Dr. Manhattan.

KS Smitty
03-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Smitty!

Hey woman! What alcohol are we gonna kill at the bash this year?

LMAO As long as it's not Antifreeze or to-kill-ya I'm open for suggestions. Let me do some research and I'll get back to ya.

Glad to hear your health scare wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Hope you get the chance for Tucson too!

:thumb:

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:33 PM
It's a cadence, and the "lift" should be done on the non-verbalized "4".

Think of it like counting off a song in 3/3 time:

1-2-3-LIFT!

NOT 1-2-LIFT.

KS Smitty
03-07-2009, 11:34 PM
As I mentioned earlier, it's the rocket thing. Liftoff happens at zero. Everyone knows that.

Plus, per post 19, if you start counting at three, then three beats elapse before you start lifting.

We're not playing music or setting off rockets, we're lifting something.

One is a beat, two is a beat, three is a beat lift on three.

Good thing you're in marketing and not lifting. :)

luv
03-07-2009, 11:35 PM
LMAO As long as it's not Antifreeze or to-kill-ya I'm open for suggestions. Let me do some research and I'll get back to ya.

Glad to hear your health scare wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Hope you get the chance for Tucson too!

:thumb:

Definitely no antifreeze. Waking up with a sore nose and a black eye was a bitch.

I'm actually thinking about chocolate martinis. Or maybe I should just stick with beer for once.

Nah. :)

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:37 PM

1-2-3-LIFT!

NOT 1-2-LIFT.

I bet you're not at least 50% German or a first born son, are you?

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:37 PM

1-2-3-LIFT!

NOT 1-2-LIFT.See, there ya go Rain Man... this guy's always wrong.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:38 PM

1-2-3-LIFT!

NOT 1-2-LIFT.

Okay, here's someone who gets it. The lift should be on "four", not "the beginning of three". German or not, people are going to get hurt if Obama doesn't act to standardize this to a "count zero" system.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I bet you're not at least 50% German or a first born son, are you?

Yes on the first.

See, there ya go Rain Man... this guy's always wrong.

God damn you Mizzou, you will speak when spoken too!

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Okay, here's someone who gets it. The lift should be on "four", not "the beginning of three". German or not, people are going to get hurt if Obama doesn't act to standardize this to a "count zero" system.Ugh... I kinda feel sorry for you.

Does DaFace know about this?

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Okay, here's someone who gets it. The lift should be on "four", not "the beginning of three". German or not, people are going to get hurt if Obama doesn't act to standardize this to a "count zero" system.

Yes! Yes! To Rain Man you listen!

KcMizzou
God damn you Mizzou, you will speak when spoken too!I've been known to break the rules now and then.

cdcox

Barack was a first born son.

And from all we know from his birth records, he might be 50% German too.

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I bet you're not at least 50% German or a first born son, are you?Oddly, I'm both.

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Oddly, I'm both.

Not a coincidence that you know when to lift.

KcMizzou
03-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Not a coincidence that you know when to lift.LMAO Well played.

luv
03-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Not a coincidence that you know when to lift.

But I'm neither.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I've been known to break the rules now and then.

:evil:

Barack was a first born son.

And from all we know from his birth records, he might be 50% German too.

Barack was born of a Jackal in Rome, and I would know; I AM HIS FATHER!
:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Okay, here's yet another argument. Even if everyone embraces the flawed "THREE(lift immediately) system, the coxwain has to lift while simultaneously saying "Three". That has to reduce his/her lifting power by five percent or more. Going with a countdown system would not require a call of "Zero" because the cadence is established by three beats. A group of four lifters could increase their lifting power by at least 1.25 percent.

Rain Man
03-07-2009, 11:54 PM
But I'm neither.

Yet more proof of the need for a solution. There's rampant inconsistency when you can't tell when someone will lift by assessing whether they have Aryan bone structure. And are Austrians born in the late Thirties really German or not?

cdcox
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
But I'm neither.

My new hierarchy for requesting help lifting things:

First-born sons that are of at least 50% German heriatage.

First-born sons.

Those that are at least 50% German heritage and don't use the handle Darth CarlSatan.

Men from the general population.

Women.

Darth CarlSatan and Rainman.

Darth CarlSatan
03-07-2009, 11:55 PM
I find it's best to make sure everyone is on the same page BEFORE the actual lifting. Will I spend a minute or two explaining the timing to avoid throwing my back or getting my fingers crushed?

You bet your ASS I will!

Pablo
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Where's the 'Rain Man has obviously never lifted anything heavy with other people' option on this poll?

luv

First-born sons.

Those that are at least 50% German heritage and don't use the handle Darth CarlSatan.

Women.

I can live with that. I'll be the one inside preparing the snacks and getting the beer ready for break time.

Darth CarlSatan

First-born sons.

Women.

LMAO

Hey pal, I'm 180lbs and can bench 295; you'd do a hell of a lot worse than me on the other end of the fridge goin' up the stairs!

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 12:00 AM

First-born sons.

Women.

Darth CarlSatan and Rainman.LMAO

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Where's the 'Rain Man has obviously never lifted anything heavy with other people' option on this poll?It was implied.

Pioli Zombie
03-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Offseason sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

tmax63
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM
You ease into it. You start lifting about 2.5, just like the rockets light up about 10 seconds prior to lift-off, then when you feel movement you "throttle up" to maximum thrust. That sounds kinda nasty, huh.....

patteeu
03-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I like the lift on zero idea, Rain Man, but I can't say that I've ever had too much problem with lift on three. For the most part, I try not to be around when there's a heavy object to be lifted.

Stewie
03-08-2009, 08:35 AM
It's always been my experience that it's ON 3. That's why the guy counting, who's normally one of the lifters, goes ONE, TWO, THREEEEEAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Phobia
03-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I always pause after the photographer says cheese and then smile. It's why all our family portraits are screwy.

stlchiefs
03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
The key word here is ON. You lift on 3, i.e. when the word 3 is said. It's not lift after 3 or lift on 4. You lift on 3.

stlchiefs
03-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I always pause after the photographer says cheese and then smile. It's why all our family portraits are screwy.

So you lift on 4 then too don't you. You're the weak link who leaves all the other guys hanging.

Now I see why you're trying to move into more of a management only role. :p

Baby Lee
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM

It's not complicated.

The lead guy owes the crew the courtesy of grunting his 'three' to make it clear that's the lift moment.

Onnnne, Twwoo, THRAAAUGGGH!!

Baby Lee
03-08-2009, 09:47 AM

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w49/1hobo3/mynameisearl002vn9.jpg

unlurking
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
"On Three" = 1 - 2 - 3 (& lift)

"On Go" = 1 - 2 - 3 - Go (& lift)

It's easy, just call what your following first. No need to change this.

StcChief
03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Only if you're in the union.

(I'm kidding. Bein' in a union aint all it's cracked up to be.)
no problem. you'll lift alone, others will be watching (supervising) :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 10:40 AM

It's not complicated.

Bingo. On three.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Okay, here's yet another argument. Even if everyone embraces the flawed "THREE(lift immediately) system, the coxwain has to lift while simultaneously saying "Three". That has to reduce his/her lifting power by five percent or more. Going with a countdown system would not require a call of "Zero" because the cadence is established by three beats. A group of four lifters could increase their lifting power by at least 1.25 percent.

Actually, exhaling to speak/groan/grunt while lifting something helps you push more weight, and it's significantly better than performing the Valsava manuever on yourself and causing a heart attack or stroke.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't count at all.........

Everybody get their grip; ask if they are ready and then lift.....

SNR
03-08-2009, 12:56 PM

1-2-3-LIFT!

NOT 1-2-LIFT.If you're in 3/4 time, and the conductor says, "Play your note ON beat 3" you play it on beat three. You don't play it on beat 1, just because it feels harmonious to you.

Groves
03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
This all started when the "go" clan had access to fertility drugs. This family stood in stark contrast to the "on 3" tribe, and vowed to eventually take them over.

As people then started saying 1-2-3-go, which is NOT on three, heavy objects around the globe began to go unlifted or merely tipped. This was in that tumultuous time before the industrial revolution yet before nextel push-to-talk was on the scene.

As the machines took over the heavy work and fewer instances of group-lift occured in society, there was no longer an impetus to determine a winner in this race.

So, outside of barn raising communities, there exists a tribute to the past before every now-rare instance of gathered strength. This tribute comes not in the form of silence, but a brief argument about when the application of force is to occur.

Here we are today.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
If you're in 3/4 time, and the conductor says, "Play your note ON beat 3" you play it on beat three. You don't play it on beat 1, just because it feels harmonious to you.

I should have said 3/4 time, so you are correct in that much at least.

That still does nothing to diminish the fact that the time signature count begins on ONE:

1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3

If that conductor is asking me to begin the downbeat on "3", that conductor needs to find a new job.

So basically, in my initial post, when I reference "4", I'm actually referencing "1", as it relates to 3/4 time.

But since not everyone here can read music, but understands a 4-count as it is so ingrained in American popular music, it made more sense to frame the subject as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

SNR
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM

That still does nothing to diminish the fact that the time signature count begins on ONE:

1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3

If that conductor is asking me to begin the downbeat on "3", that conductor needs to find a new job.

So basically, in my initial post, when I reference "4", I'm actually referencing "1", as it relates to 3/4 time.

But since not everyone here can read music, but understands a 4-count as it is so ingrained in American popular music, it made more sense to frame the subject as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signatureThe act of lifting isn't the downbeat though. The downbeat in this case is the beginning of the count. If you were to write a musical piece for large object lifters and counter, the counter would count 1-2-3 and the musical "lift" would happen on the next beat of succession, which would be Rain Man's first example.

That would be IF you wrote this supposed piece in 3/4 and wanted to keep things nice and even and easy.

Music has featured accents at odd places in the music for a long time. If you were to keep the meter in 3/4, there would be nothing wrong with putting the musical lift on beat 3. Stranger things have been done.

However, thankfully, lifting heavy objects and music has still maintained a wall of seperation as far as I know. Though a nice ONE two three ONE two three pulse would be nice and make sense, unless you all the lifters agreed to it beforehand, it wouldn't work. When you say ON 3, you mean ON 3. 1-2-3 works just fine in music, and it's the easiest to collaborate on when working with a team of object lifters.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
The act of lifting isn't the downbeat though. The downbeat in this case is the beginning of the count. If you were to write a musical piece for large object lifters and counter, the counter would count 1-2-3 and the musical "lift" would happen on the next beat of succession, which would be Rain Man's first example.

That would be IF you wrote this supposed piece in 3/4 and wanted to keep things nice and even and easy.

Music has featured accents at odd places in the music for a long time. If you were to keep the meter in 3/4, there would be nothing wrong with putting the musical lift on beat 3. Stranger things have been done.

However, thankfully, lifting heavy objects and music has still maintained a wall of seperation as far as I know. Though a nice ONE two three ONE two three pulse would be nice and make sense, unless you all the lifters agreed to it beforehand, it wouldn't work. When you say ON 3, you mean ON 3. 1-2-3 works just fine in music, and it's the easiest to collaborate on when working with a team of object lifters.

Very well, I'll change the phrase to "lift on 4", and get busy writing "Mayflower Mover Symphony" in D-minor!

Toast!:D

SNR
03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Very well, I'll change the phrase to "lift on 4", and get busy writing "Mayflower Mover Symphony" in D-minor!

Toast!:DSounds great.

By the way, I'm leaving due to creative differences. I'll be starting my solo career.

Sorry.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Sounds great.

By the way, I'm leaving due to creative differences. I'll be starting my solo career.

Sorry.

LMAO

Baby Lee
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM

1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature
Ummm, plenty of music starts on beats other than the first of a bar.

Most any Waltz [bulk of 3/4 music], will start on the downbeat of 2.

123 123 1 dah dah dee dum dumm.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Ummm, plenty of music starts on beats other than the first of a bar.

Most any Waltz [bulk of 3/4 music], will start on the downbeat of 2.

123 123 1 dah dah dee dum dumm.

Yes, that is true, but we're talking mathematics not composition.

stlchiefs
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Did anyone else notice we have a couple geniuses here who voted for the questions in the above poll? :) Nice

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Did anyone else notice we have a couple geniuses here who voted for the questions in the above poll? :) Nice

LMAO That's awesome!

Rain Man
03-08-2009, 06:03 PM
So according to the stats, any group of four people who lift something will likely have one of the four not being ready when the lifting starts. This is obviously a system in need of repair.