PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock- Itís OK to question Pioli and the Chiefs

Pages : [1] 2

C-Mac
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Itís OK to question Pioli and the Chiefs
(http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1073503.html)
Wednesday afternoon, on my drive on I-70 to watch the Tigers and the Sooners tangle, I passed the time listening to sports-talk radio.

I find one of our local stations unlisten-Neal-able, so you can assume which station and which show entertained me along the highway. And you can guess which host nearly made me drive off the highway.

The New Don Fortune expressed his disinterest in needing access and information from our New Carl Peterson, Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. The New Don and his trusty sidekick, Mad Jack Harry, spent several minutes telling their listeners that we should trust Pioli implicitly and not waste emotion or energy worrying whether Pioli reveals himself, his plans or his players to the media.

Having worked in sports-talk radio, Iím aware the discipline requires a dramatic and healthy loosening of journalistic standards. But basic common sense and backbone are allowed and occasionally encouraged when hosting a radio show.

Supporting the new regime does not equate to rejecting the primary (and redeeming) role of the media.

Itís our job to acquire information and pass it along to you. Based on what weíve seen from the Bill Belichick era in New England and our first two months with Pioli, gathering pertinent and enlightening information about the Chiefs is going to be rather difficult.

The Patriots, under Belichick and Pioli, reached the conclusion that too much media access disrupts locker-room chemistry and undermines the voice of the head coach. In New England, Belichick has turned the Boston media into an easy-to-play foil for his players.

Heís brainwashed his players into believing the media are evil, incompetent and stirrers of chaos. Obviously, we are not perfect. A collection of human beings cannot be flawless. There are instances when individual moments of incompetence make the media appear wicked or solely interested in controversy.

But overall, we attempt to be a watchdog of those with power. When we fail to play that role, generally speaking, terrible things happen. The Iraq War is a worst-case scenario. We trusted our president implicitly, led the cheers when we declared war on Iraq and declined to demand answers to difficult questions. Hundreds of billions of dollars later, and with our economy in collapse, we now blame poor, minority homeowners for the fall of our society.

I apologize. I digress.

Let me give you a worst-case scenario in the sports world.

If, in an attempt to duplicate New Englandís three-Super Bowls dynasty, we neglect our journalistic, democracy-ensuring duty to challenge Pioli, thereís a far better chance that he replicates Carl Petersonís Kansas City era than Belichickís New England one.

Unchallenged leaders are dictators and quickly turn unethical.

For years, Kevin Kietzman and Jack Harry whined on radio that Peterson, in attempts to have them fired, harassed their former television bosses. Kietzman and Harry complained about Petersonís heavy-handed tactics with players, their agents and their families.

Peterson acquired his nickname, King Carl, the old-fashioned way. We rolled over and gave him a kingdom. When he ushered in an era of winning after years of mediocrity, he treated the media as though his decisions and actions were above question. He became complacent and stale.

Scott Pioli is a human being. Heís capable of making the same mistakes as you, I or King Carl.

Sometimes people misidentify why theyíre successful. Belichick and Pioli think the New England locker room is special partly because Belichick and the players have made the local media irrelevant. Belichick and Pioli believe in CIA-like secrets.

Iím sure thereís some value in all of it. But football isnít all that hard to figure out. Find yourself a tough, talented quarterback who is willing to stand in the pocket and deliver the football under pressure, pray that he doesnít get injured, and youíll win a lot of games.

The Sixburgh Steelers won four titles with Terry Bradshaw and two with Ben Roethlisberger. Theyíve had three different young coaches lead them to those six titles. John Elway took the Broncos to five Super Bowls and won two. Kurt Warner has played in three Super Bowls. Brett Favre played in two. Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb win a lot of football games. Did I mention Joe Montana, Troy Aikman and Tom Brady?

In his first big decision as general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs, Scott Pioli traded the 34th pick in the draft for Matt Cassel, a backup in college and in the pros. Because New England slapped Cassel with the franchise tag, Clark Hunt is going to pay Cassel a lot of money in 2009 or give him a big-ticket, long-term contract.

Everyone pretty much agrees the move makes sense for the Chiefs. Pioli still needs to publicly explain it, and itís our job to seek a detailed explanation. We shouldnít accept a brief statement on a press release.

It is fun and fashionable to beat up on the media. In our arrogance, we have refused to adequately police, examine and reshape ourselves. Weíre paying a heavy price for our failure. Weíre losing credibility.

Itís in your best interest to demand better from us. Donít be fooled into believing we should go away or act as a propaganda machine for some newly-elected, popular-in-comparison-to-Peterson (or Bush) leader.

ChiefButthurt
03-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I'd rather that the Chiefs effectively and quitely create a football powerhouse like no other, without the interference of the media. The media is generally a collection of idiots attempting to make a name for themselves at the expense of others. Fuckem.

The Bad Guy
03-08-2009, 08:44 AM
What does Pioli need to publically explain? He obviously loves Cassel - he gushed over him during the introductory press conference. He also said that the HC would be the voice of the franchise.

This article reeks of a pissed-off journalist who has been completely shut out.

FringeNC
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
What a joke of a column. Journalists as a "watchdog of those with power"? You've got to be kidding me. The NY and KC media were so tough on Herm Edwards, right? And the media's love affair with Obama is completely over the top.

The media loved Herm Edwards because he stroked their ego. Pioli doesn't give a ****, and only wants to win.

HemiEd
03-08-2009, 08:58 AM
This is getting funnier, with each article.

WilliamTheIrish
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
... In our arrogance, we have refused to adequately police, examine and reshape ourselves. Weíre paying a heavy price for our failure. Weíre losing credibility.

A very true statement. Not only has credibility been lost, but readership. The Star is yesterdays news in a society that has access to news at their fingertips from 1000 sources.

It's like watching a dinosaur in a tar pit. Clawing and scraping, yet sinking deeper and eventually being snuffed out.

wild1
03-08-2009, 09:01 AM
haha. so the media is not solely interested in controversy, mortgages aren't t blame for the economy - iraq is - and the chief criticism of Pioli here is that Whitlock admits he agress with the move, but that he should step out and explain it.

zzzzz

stevieray
03-08-2009, 09:07 AM
newsflash..you aren't entitled to squat.

overcoveragemassmedia is part of the problem. not the solution

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
It's funny...in 1989 fans jumped up and down that the media shouldn't question Carl Petereson. After all he is the guy that got rid of Jack Stedman.

In 1989 Carl was seen as the future of football in Kansas City. Former coach, scout and front office guy that did win two championships. Carl hired a big name coach for the team. At that time people never wanted to hear the media question Carl or his moves.

Move forward 20 years. A new GM is in place. Kicked the old guy out...brought rings on his fingers and a new coach. Are you too blind to see it is the same old song. What is the quote about those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it?

KK kissing Pioli's ass is a joke. Even the angry old man Jack is starting to lash out.

jAZ
03-08-2009, 09:15 AM
None of those people are acting as journalists, they are entertainers. Just for the record.

jAZ
03-08-2009, 09:22 AM
It's funny...in 1989 fans jumped up and down that the media shouldn't question Carl Petereson. After all he is the guy that got rid of Jack Stedman.

In 1989 Carl was seen as the future of football in Kansas City. Former coach, scout and front office guy that did win two championships. Carl hired a big name coach for the team. At that time people never wanted to hear the media question Carl or his moves.

Move forward 20 years. A new GM is in place. Kicked the old guy out...brought rings on his fingers and a new coach. Are you too blind to see it is the same old song. What is the quote about those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it?

KK kissing Pioli's ass is a joke. Even the angry old man Jack is starting to lash out.

In 1989 (like today) it's f'ing stupid to criticze an incomplete picture. No one is saying, it can't happen 2, 5, or 10 years from now though.

58-4ever
03-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I stopped reading half-way through. He wrote this column just to meet his weekly quota...

MahiMike
03-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I think it's time to question Whitlock.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2009, 09:34 AM
The Iraq War is a worst-case scenario. We trusted our president implicitly, led the cheers when we declared war on Iraq and declined to demand answers to difficult questions. Hundreds of billions of dollars later, and with our economy in collapse, we now blame poor, minority homeowners for the fall of our society.

Wow, JWhite manages to work race into a column. Imagine that? Hes so wrong on so many levels here.

But football isn’t all that hard to figure out. Find yourself a tough, talented quarterback who is willing to stand in the pocket and deliver the football under pressure, pray that he doesn’t get injured, and you’ll win a lot of games.

The Sixburgh Steelers won four titles with Terry Bradshaw and two with Ben Roethlisberger. They’ve had three different young coaches lead them to those six titles. John Elway took the Broncos to five Super Bowls and won two. Kurt Warner has played in three Super Bowls. Brett Favre played in two. Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb win a lot of football games. Did I mention Joe Montana, Troy Aikman and Tom Brady?

100% right. I could not agree more. Stick to football JWhit.

It is fun and fashionable to beat up on the media. In our arrogance, we have refused to adequately police, examine and reshape ourselves. We’re paying a heavy price for our failure. We’re losing credibility.

It’s in your best interest to demand better from us. Don’t be fooled into believing we should go away or act as a propaganda machine for some newly-elected, popular-in-comparison-to-Peterson (or Bush) leader.

Reeks of a guy trying to remain relevant and hold onto a job. Desperation move.

Mojo Jojo
In 1989 (like today) it's f'ing stupid to criticze an incomplete picture. No one is saying, it can't happen 2, 5, or 10 years from now though.

There is a difference between question and criticize. I don't think most people want to criticize Pioli at this point, but they may to to question the way he goes about doing things. We question the way Sprint is run...we question elected officials all the time, so why can't fans, ticket holders, media question the way the Chiefs are being run?

To be honest they blew that whole Cassel phone call, and got busted doing it. If Carl had done the same thing people would demand he be fired.

wild1

I'm sorry, I can't hear you equating Pioli's credibility to Carl's, those super bowl rings are distracting me.

Messier
03-08-2009, 09:35 AM
While I don't mind any opportunity to slam Kevin Kietzman and Jack Harry, Whitlock ironically comes off as the whiniest of all. What is this, the third article complaining about not being given any info from the Chiefs?

There is nothing more boring and annoying than articles proclaiming ones own importance.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry, I can't hear you equating Pioli's credibility to Carl's, those super bowl rings are distracting me.

Carl had a couple championships when he came to KC.

USFL titles. ROFL

Messier
03-08-2009, 09:39 AM
It's like Whitlock thinks he's doling out some sort of "punishment" by saying, until you talk to me I'm going to question all of your moves. Somehow I don't think Pioli cares.

the Talking Can
03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
wait, is fatlock claiming to be a journalist now?

you know, someone who actually works to uncover and report on a story?

yes, we need those...we always need those

we don't need columnists...they do nothing but offer up generally childish and dumb opinions....i hope to god Pioli ignores them...that was Carl's problem, he couldn't ignore them...

if Pioli never read a word written by a columnist in Kansas City it would be a major step towards success for this franchise...

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Carl had a couple championships when he came to KC.

USFL titles. ROFL

Still two more pro titles than you will ever win.

Adept Havelock
03-08-2009, 09:58 AM
It's like Whitlock thinks he's doling out some sort of "punishment" by saying, until you talk to me I'm going to question all of your moves. Somehow I don't think Pioli cares.

Yep. Another Half-Whit whine fest. :rolleyes:

morphius
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, when you can't get any information I guess you have to write crap like this. Sure it is okay to question what Pioli does, but right now not a lot has happened to make any real complaints.

Jack
03-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Truth and accurate news reporting are strange bedfellows and the main reason I haven't subscribed to any news papers in the last decade. They are entertainers and nothing more. Whitlock defining his role as watchdog is quite a reach. His fumbling, rambling narrative leaves so much to be desired.

I could care less if they consider Pioli aloof and arrogant. Bottom line is I want to see the team win. Here is arrogance:

"He’s brainwashed his players into believing the media are evil, incompetent and stirrers of chaos. Obviously, we are not perfect. A collection of human beings cannot be flawless. There are instances when individual moments of incompetence make the media appear wicked or solely interested in controversy."

Coogs
03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I will have to agree with Whitlock on this one. 610 AND 810 are both damn near unbearable to listen to anymore.

DaFace
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
This is just stupid. Comparing Pioli to Bush? Come on now. One is the head of a governmental entity (the U.S. government). We all have no choice but to pay taxes to that entity, so we have a right to question the moves they make. And while there is no set rule saying so, if 90 percent of the people feel one way about an issue, that individual has an obligation to try and make sure that strong majority wins out.

The other is the head of a privately-owned business. No one is forced to give them a dime. It doesn't matter whether the media questions them or not, they are going to act in the best interest of the team (and moreso of the business). Every person in Kansas City could feel one way about what the Chiefs should do, and they don't have to do a damn thing. It's not even in the same ball park.

Whitlock's just pissed that he doesn't have anything fun to write about anymore, so he gripes about not having anything to write about (but pins it on Pioli).

Chiefaholic
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Comparing Pioli to Carl is rediculous. The two are night and day different in almost every aspect of the game.

1. Carl = 20 years....Advanced to AFC Championship once
Pioli = 6 years.....3 Superbowl Rings

2. Carl = Releys on free agency to patch holes for mediocracy
Pioli = Builds through draft and fills roster with second teir FA's

3. Carl = Strokes ego by telling media when he takes a piss
Pioli = Keeps internal decisions quiet until the "DEAL IS DONE"

4. Carl = SUCKS at drafting starter caliber players
Pioli = Proven record of drafting quality players in later rounds

5. Carl = Hated by other franchises, agents, players, and fans
Pioli = Respected by everybody that matters (**** the media)

6. Carl = Boo'ed by the fans in HIS stadium
Pioli = Fans cheered as he hoisted the Lombardi Trophy

7. Carl = Spends the offseason on vacation and making speeches to the media to stroke his ego

Pioli = Spends the offseason hiring the best staff possible, studying game tape, looking for AFFORDABLE FA's that allow us to build a TEAM, and preparing for the draft in detail.

I could go on for hours....

kc-nd
03-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Jason,

Use your brain. Report on what is happening.

You don't need to talk to someone - or have someone say something - in order to be a better journalist.

If you have to have someone explain everything to you, how are you ever going to learn to think?

HC_Chief
03-08-2009, 10:46 AM
wait, is fatlock claiming to be a journalist now?

you know, someone who actually works to uncover and report on a story?

yes, we need those...we always need those

we don't need columnists...they do nothing but offer up generally childish and dumb opinions....i hope to god Pioli ignores them...that was Carl's problem, he couldn't ignore them...

if Pioli never read a word written by a columnist in Kansas City it would be a major step towards success for this franchise...

Superlative.

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 10:53 AM
But overall, we attempt to be a watchdog of those with power. When we fail to play that role, generally speaking, terrible things happen. The Iraq War is a worst-case scenario. We trusted our president implicitly, led the cheers when we declared war on Iraq and declined to demand answers to difficult questions. Hundreds of billions of dollars later, and with our economy in collapse, we now blame poor, minority homeowners for the fall of our society.

It's blatant lies like these that have contributed so greatly to the downfall of the mainstream media. To make matters worse, he's putting such blatant political lies in a sports column. When people ask me my opinion as to why I think print media is in its death throes, I point to crap like this.

RINGLEADER
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
What does Pioli need to publically explain? He obviously loves Cassel - he gushed over him during the introductory press conference. He also said that the HC would be the voice of the franchise.

Pretty much.

Whitlock is desperate to stay relevant.

And someone needs to tell him that no one cares about his "King Carl" schtick anymore.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Wow.

This type of unbelievably reductive approach to complicated issues is staggering.

Congrats, Jason!

Adept Havelock
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Pretty much.

Whitlock is desperate to stay relevant.

And someone needs to tell him that no one cares about his "King Carl" schtick anymore.

Stay relevant? :hmmm:

That implies he's been relevant at some time in the past. :shrug:

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Comparing Pioli to Carl is rediculous. The two are night and day different in almost every aspect of the game.

1. Carl = 20 years....Advanced to AFC Championship once
Pioli = 6 years.....3 Superbowl Rings

2. Carl = Releys on free agency to patch holes for mediocracy
Pioli = Builds through draft and fills roster with second teir FA's

3. Carl = Strokes ego by telling media when he takes a piss
Pioli = Keeps internal decisions quiet until the "DEAL IS DONE"

4. Carl = SUCKS at drafting starter caliber players
Pioli = Proven record of drafting quality players in later rounds

5. Carl = Hated by other franchises, agents, players, and fans
Pioli = Respected by everybody that matters (**** the media)

6. Carl = Boo'ed by the fans in HIS stadium
Pioli = Fans cheered as he hoisted the Lombardi Trophy

7. Carl = Spends the offseason on vacation and making speeches to the media to stroke his ego

Pioli = Spends the offseason hiring the best staff possible, studying game tape, looking for AFFORDABLE FA's that allow us to build a TEAM, and preparing for the draft in detail.

I could go on for hours....

I know you could and it still would be useless...

1. What has Pioli done without BB... a coach he didn't hire and TB a QB he didn't want to draft?

2. Carl did build through the late rounds...he just never hit on round 1 and 2.
FYI tier...i before e.

3. Everyone on this board bitched when Carl wouldn't give an up to the minute report, but Scott is a god for doing the same. FYI...if you think the NFL hated the Chiefs before wait until they do the Pats way. It will only get worse.

4.See number two.

5. WRONG. ESPN loved Carl...other teams knew Carl was doing well. Ask people and media...exect for the rings (yes a big deal) they hate the way the Patriots do business.

6. Yes he was boo'd so was Jack Stedman they man who talked Lamar into bringing the Chiefs to KC. Using your logic the Chiefs should never have come here because someone will get boo'd.

7. What do you know Scott is doing? I thought this was all about no info from One Arrowhead Drive.

Pioli is just another GM. He has done nothing on his own. He is just one of 31 other guys who are allowed to be questioned about their actions.

keg in kc
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Pioli still needs to publicly explain itWhy? To reiterate what we already know?

I wonder if Whitlock's trying to set himself up as the anti-Pioli guy. His new schtick.

keg in kc
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I also find it quite ironic to readIt is fun and fashionable to beat up on the media.In the same column asI find one of our local stations unlisten-Neal-able...

The New Don Fortune..,and his trusty sidekick, Mad Jack Harry,

StcChief
03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I think it's time to question Whitlock.I have been for quite sometime, same with all 24x7 driven news.

Wilson8
03-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Agree with many of your thoughts on the media.

We need good writers we could count on to give us informed, well written stories about the Kansas City Chiefs. I’d like to blame this problem completely on the media, but the fault is also with the Chiefs organization and it was like this even before the Clark Hunt, Scott Pioli, Todd Haley era. The Kansas City Chiefs are in the sports entertainment business and they could do a much better job of promoting the team. I can understand the importance of keeping some information out of the media but a good PR staff can continue to help fan interest by working with the media, web sites like chiefsplanet, and even upgrading their own kcchiefs web site. I’m not saying that Pioli and Haley need to stop what they are doing in building the team or give away team secrets to the “outside”, but just saying there is little to be gained by taking an “us” against the “outsiders” stance.

Kansas City Chiefs fans are hungry for information on their team and the Chiefs organization could do a better job of promoting this interest.

Side note – I think the NFL in general could help promote their great product even further by working with the many team fan web sites that they have.

Chiefaholic
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I know you could and it still would be useless...

1. What has Pioli done without BB... a coach he didn't hire and TB a QB he didn't want to draft?

2. Carl did build through the late rounds...he just never hit on round 1 and 2.
FYI tier...i before e.

3. Everyone on this board bitched when Carl wouldn't give an up to the minute report, but Scott is a god for doing the same. FYI...if you think the NFL hated the Chiefs before wait until they do the Pats way. It will only get worse.

4.See number two.

5. WRONG. ESPN loved Carl...other teams knew Carl was doing well. Ask people and media...exect for the rings (yes a big deal) they hate the way the Patriots do business.

6. Yes he was boo'd so was Jack Stedman they man who talked Lamar into bringing the Chiefs to KC. Using your logic the Chiefs should never have come here because someone will get boo'd.

7. What do you know Scott is doing? I thought this was all about no info from One Arrowhead Drive.

Pioli is just another GM. He has done nothing on his own. He is just one of 31 other guys who are allowed to be questioned about their actions.

1. Kind of hard to answer what he's done considering he hasn't had the opportunity. I guess BB must have been BS'ing about all the positive things he's said about Pioli.

2. The Pats are full of players they drafted and did VERY well as a result. Carl's starters were everybody's trash or overpaid players. "I befor E".... shove it up your keyster

3. Pioli cares about building a team, NOT a bunch of armcharm QB's on an internet board. Players AND agents HATED Carl, thus we missed out on key additions that could have turned this team around. The same can't be said for Pioli. How many draft day trades did Carl accomplish, and how many did Pioli? This isn't even a debate... F*** the media and the armchair QB's who feel the franchise is obligated to tell them every time somebody takes a piss at One Arrowhead Drive.

4. Ditto

5. Pioli respected by everybody that MATTERS. This isn't debatable, it's a fact.

6. What does Steadman and the Chiefs moving to KC have anything to do with Carl Peterson being an overbearing and obnoxious jerk? The players and agents hated to negotiate with Peterson, it's a fact...no debate.

7. FYI What do you know Scott is doing? I guess I can be a smartass to and correct your grammar. It's "How do you know what Scott is doing?" [/smartass] Not to play Captain Obvious here, but it's pretty obvious isn't it? Bringing in assistants and coordinators, on the phone making trades, watching game film of current players on the roster, and preparing for the draft. That's just the information released to the public. So to answer your question... I read all the information and watch video clips made available to me. Everything I just said was a statement straight from Pioli's mouth.

Ari Chi3fs
03-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Whitlock has sand in his really, really, really fat vagina.

Jerm
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Well if Whitlock wasn't dead to Pioli, Haley, and co. after the Waters debacle...he certainly is now.

I'm sure we'll get many more of these articles because Whitlock won't be getting any more info or access now that he's taken shots at Pioli and Haley.

What a fat moron.

Ari Chi3fs
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM
This is the end of Whitlock. He will be moving to a new city within 18 months... Bank on it.

wild1
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Whitlock made the point well that the team's success has nothing to do with the media. The media only pry and create tension and distractions. Pioli has nothing to gain by playing ball with agitators.

The media is the only group with something to lose.

Chiefaholic
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Whitlock made the point well that the team's success has nothing to do with the media. The media only pry and create tension and distractions. Pioli has nothing to gain by playing ball with agitators.

The media is the only group with something to lose.

Agree 100%.. Positive media coverage doesn't sell papers, and Pioli doesn't need to waste his time with PR when this franchise has this many holes to fill. When they make any significant moves, the media will find out and they can critigue him then. Otherwise leave the man alone and let him do what Clark paid him to do. I'm sure Whitless can find many other racist topics to write about.

lazepoo
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Sports writers aren't watchdogs. Sports is an avocation, not a life or death struggle. Take that away from this article, and what you have is a man struggling to convince others of his perceived self-importance. Sad.

StcChief
03-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Whitlock is slowly leaving town. a welcome change. his King Carl meal ticket is over.

SNR
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Whitlock is saying I CAN question Pioli?

NO SHIT SHERLOCK.

Should I question Pioli at this point, after his new team hasn't even taken an offseason snap in PRACTICE?

Whitlock is obviously hurt by all this. It's also hilarious that he doesn't bring up the fact that Clark Hunt was doing the exact same shit when/before he hired Pioli. Didn't leak out ANYTHING about any possible hires or how the deals were coming... NOTHING. And yet Pioli is the one responsible for Whitlock having nothing to report?

Whitlock is obviously crying because he can't bitch about Carl, LJ, or race relations right now. And he won't get a chance to for awhile. He won't have any decent column with any pertinent information until the fucking draft. He's upset by this, and this where the article came from. He really needs to stop being a fat crybaby.

Bowser
03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
What a crybaby article.

Brock
03-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Waaah, lack of access

wild1
03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
i remember reading that article Whitlock wrote after Carl was canned, where he downplayed Carl and he's nemesis relationship, calling Carl nothing more than "a handy foil". Bullcrap... he's lost half his material. He'll have to go back to criticizing NBA players for acting like thugs, in a city that cares nothing about the NBA.

Having him lined up aside a real writer like Posnanski is a stark contrast

htismaqe
03-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Having worked in sports-talk radio, Iím aware the discipline requires a dramatic and healthy loosening of journalistic standards.

It all sounds well and good, Jason. Until one considers that you're a COLUMNIST, not a reporter. You get paid to do the SAME THING you're accusing Keitzman of doing.

ROFL

whoman69
03-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Whitlock has only made part of a point. It is the media's job to question things that are going on. However when they are questioning only to question they lose relevance.

I can see the need for secrecy to keep our opponents in the dark, but our fans too? Why won't they tell us which coaches are going where. Why can't they tell us what the situation is with hiring a DC? Are they protecting our coaches? I'd have to say no, they probably already know what their roles will be. Are we hiding our scheme? Wow that will work until we take our first snaps in practice.

Any organization that lacks the confidence to stand up to a little media criticism probably are doing things they shouldn't be doing. If they feel that their decisions can't stand up to scrutiny they must not have too much confidence in those decisions. Any coach or GM who wakes up and questions what they are doing because of an article in the KC Star or on talk radio probably shouldn't be in the position they are in.

jAZ
03-08-2009, 03:21 PM
There is a difference between question and criticize. I don't think most people want to criticize Pioli at this point, but they may to to question the way he goes about doing things. We question the way Sprint is run...we question elected officials all the time, so why can't fans, ticket holders, media question the way the Chiefs are being run?

To be honest they blew that whole Cassel phone call, and got busted doing it. If Carl had done the same thing people would demand he be fired.

There is a difference, but we are getting a lot of criticism, not questioning around here.

Questioning is "I have no idea what he's doing, but it's not fair to judge yet because he's just getting started and he's got a great record".

Criticism is any form of "Pioli = Carl Peterson" at this point. Whether it's masked as "Cassel = Bono" or "our New Carl Peterson" or "it is the same old song" or whatever.

And criticism at this point is un-fugging-reasonable.

I don't know your intentions,

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-08-2009, 04:36 PM
As soon as I saw it was a Fatlock article I didn't even bother reading it.

How that guy still has a job still fascinates me.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Actually I think its perfectly okay to question Pioli, judging by the other teams hires from the Pats it looks like Belichick was the reason for the success. I'm still skeptical on him.

Basileus777
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Embarrassing article. It's nothing more than self-indulgent whining.

SNR
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
There is a difference, but we are getting a lot of criticism, not questioning around here.

Questioning is "I have no idea what he's doing, but it's not fair to judge yet because he's just getting started and he's got a great record".

Criticism is any form of "Pioli = Carl Peterson" at this point. Whether it's masked as "Cassel = Bono" or "our New Carl Peterson" or "it is the same old song" or whatever.

I don't know your intentions,This.

Like I said before, we haven't seen this team even take a snap of offseason practice. No way you can make judgments on the type of team that will be fielded during Pioli's tenure here based on one trade and the re-signing of a couple cheap players from last year.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Questioning a GM of a 2-14 team and wondering what he's doing to improve it = fine

Whining and coming across as a self-indulgent 4 year old girl = Embarrassing

You can ask any question in the world. Unless you have subpoena power, no one has to answer you or go into any depth if they do.

Get used to it.

Count Zarth
03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Awesome. In so many ways.

Sam Hall
03-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't believe I agree with Whitlock. Yes, I'm a sports writer. People can rip the media all they want, but those same people enjoy reading the stories. The KC media is trying to fulfill your daily Chiefs fix. I don't like some of the people on ESPN, but the vast majority of sports writers do a good job.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm not going to necessarily question Pioli at this point and time, as it's too early in the game to do so.

That said, I will damn sure pull out the Scale of Judgment when the season is over. It's fair, it's right, and it WILL be done.

tk13
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Actually I think its perfectly okay to question Pioli, judging by the other teams hires from the Pats it looks like Belichick was the reason for the success. I'm still skeptical on him.
His assistant coaches, I 100% agree. However, the front office people so far have been successful. Atlanta had a great season this year.

That doesn't mean everything's going to go perfect, but we're a bit different than the Weis, Saban, Crennel, or Mangini situations. We at least got a GM and coach from the same tree, not a GM trying to pick an apple off the Patriots success.

New England's personnel people seem to know what they're doing... and while Belichick's assistants haven't done well, some of Parcells assistants (Belichick, Payton, Sparano) have done well, hopefully Haley follows in their mold.

Messier
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't think the question is, is it ok to question pioli? Of course it's ok to question Pioli, but I ask question him for what? He's been here a month and a half, he's hired a coach and made what most consider a good trade. We're still over a month away from the draft. I don't need to know it's alright to question pioli, I just how you can yet.

Whitlock questions him because he isn't talking to the media. I don't know what fans have to question yet.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM

I don't know your intentions,

jAZ...
I really do respect most of your posts. But you must be honest the Cassel "conference call" blew up in Pioli's face. Most posters here expect better because if we don't then it is CP ver.2.0 The media also needs to hold the Chiefs to a higher level than before.

jAZ
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
jAZ...
I really do respect most of your posts. But you must be honest the Cassel "conference call" blew up in Pioli's face. Most posters here expect better because if we don't then it is CP ver.2.0 The media also needs to hold the Chiefs to a higher level than before.

I miss the "conference call" reference. Maybe I'm missing something bigger. But I am certain it's far to early to judge anything.

milkman
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't think the question is, is it ok to question pioli? Of course it's ok to question Pioli, but I ask question him for what? He's been here a month and a half, he's hired a coach and made what most consider a good trade. We're still over a month away from the draft. I don't need to know it's alright to question pioli, I just how you can yet.

Whitlock questions him because he isn't talking to the media. I don't know what fans have to question yet.

Here's a question.

Did he trade for Cassel because he thinks he's potentially the best QB option available, or just the safest available?

Did he hire Haley because he was the best candidate, or because he was so methodical in his evaluation of Herman ****ing Edwards that Haley was the only remaining viable candidate?

WilliamTheIrish
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I can't believe I agree with Whitlock. Yes, I'm a sports writer. People can rip the media all they want, but those same people enjoy reading the stories. The KC media is trying to fulfill your daily Chiefs fix. I don't like some of the people on ESPN, but the vast majority of sports writers do a good job.

Nobody is questioning the vast majority of sports writers. People are questioning the motives of a guy who criticizes other "electronic" media members (of which he was once a part, and of course, quit) that he deems unworthy, while trying to maximize his importance. People question a man who doesn't really do any reporting, he makes obversations. Hell, TMZ at least tells you up front they're are sensationaists.

Good luck with the career Sammy. It's a crowded field.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I miss the "conference call" reference. Maybe I'm missing something bigger. But I am certain it's far to early to judge anything.

Because you may have missed it....

The Chiefs had a media conference call with Cassel; because he couldn't be there. However, during the call Matt said he was in the same building as the reporters and wasn't allowed to meet with them. The TV cameras ran down the hall a got footage of him leaving another room where he called from.

If Carl had done the same thing this board explodes. I just hope we don't give someone a free pass because he is the new guy.

Messier
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's a question.

Did he trade for Cassel because he thinks he's potentially the best QB option available, or just the safest available?

Did he hire Haley because he was the best candidate, or because he was so methodical in his evaluation of Herman ****ing Edwards that Haley was the only remaining viable candidate?

I don't know. He said with the Haley hiring that he wanted him for awhile. And pioli said when he was hired how much he liked Cassel, so my guess is he thought they both were the best available. Maybe I feel that way because I agree with both moves. I don't question the reason for either move, they both make sense to me. How do you feel?

beavis
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM

This.

Whitlock D-U-N.

milkman
03-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know. He said with the Haley hiring that he wanted him for awhile. And pioli said when he was hired how much he liked Cassel, so my guess is he thought they both were the best available. Maybe I feel that way because I agree with both moves. I don't question the reason for either move, they both make sense to me. How do you feel?

I think it is very possible that Haley is a guy he had his eye on since he has history with him, but I believe that Cassel is the "safe" option at QB.

CupidStunt
03-08-2009, 06:12 PM

The Chiefs had a media conference call with Cassel; because he couldn't be there. However, during the call Matt said he was in the same building as the reporters and wasn't allowed to meet with them. The TV cameras ran down the hall a got footage of him leaving another room where he called from.

If Carl had done the same thing this board explodes. I just hope we don't give someone a free pass because he is the new guy.

:spock:

Couldn't care less what his publicity policy is. Do what Peterson couldn't -- WIN -- and he's golden.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it is very possible that Haley is a guy he had his eye on since he has history with him, but I believe that Cassel is the "safe" option at QB.

Time( and the draft )will of course tell, but I see Cassel as the stop-gap/Bledsoe.

And I've seen nor heard anything so far to make me feel otherwise.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:18 PM

I guess Cassel is the safe pick in that it's more likely he will be a long term good starting Qb than anyone in the draft. Perhaps his ceiling isn't has high as either Sanchez or Stafford, but I'm willing to take that chance, but like I said I like the move and feel he'll be better than any QB in the draft.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
:spock:

Couldn't care less what his publicity policy is. Do what Peterson couldn't -- WIN -- and he's golden.

I'm just saying...the man has never won a game without BB or TB yet if he acts like Carl he is off-limits to this board. Be willing to question!!!!

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't blame Belichick for casting the east coast media to the curb; those guys are a fucking zoo in every sense of the word.

But KC media is about as low-key and "softball" as anything I've ever heard or read. They're not really gonna' push these guys so unless it's a blackout for strategic purposes( ala the draft ), they really should open up the door a little more.

Just sayin'.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Time( and the draft )will of course tell, but I see Cassel as the stop-gap/Bledsoe.

And I've seen nor heard anything so far to make me feel otherwise.

Bledsoe was a stop-gap?

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Bledsoe was a stop-gap?

Let me correct that:

"short-term" stop gap, and just remove Bledsoe altogether.

FringeNC
03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Here's a question.

Safest in what respect? Sure the downside risk may be lower with Cassel, but Pioli will be held to a much higher standard with Cassel than with the draft pick QBs because of his familiarity with him. In that sense, going with Cassel was the riskiest move.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't blame Belichick for casting the east coast media to the curb; those guys are a ****ing zoo in every sense of the word.

But KC media is about as low-key and "softball" as anything I've ever heard or read. They're not really gonna' push these guys so unless it's a blackout for strategic purposes( ala the draft ), they really should open up the door a little more.

Just sayin'.

I think they probably just don't want a "good ol' boy network" where some are favorites and some aren't. Peterson had something along those lines and the fans end up not trusting the sources that are too close to the team. Better to have a universal policy with no favorites.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't blame Belichick for casting the east coast media to the curb; those guys are a ****ing zoo in every sense of the word.

Just sayin'.

The first part of your post is correct. How may times in the past ten years have we heard that if this was any market outside of KC Carl would be hung out to dry. Now it is wrong because the KC media and/or fans may ask a question?
Come on DCS you are better than that post.

milkman
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Safest in what respect? Sure the downside risk may be lower with Cassel, but Pioli will be held to a much higher standard with Cassel than with the draft pick QBs because of his familiarity with him. In that sense, going with Cassel was the riskiest move.

Safeest in that he (Cassel) has already shown that he can play in the NFL, and showed improvement from his first game to his last.

And I highly doubt that he will be held to a higher standard with Cassel because of the very fact that, unlike Sanchez and Stafford, he has done it in the NFL.

If anything, he will be excused because he went the safe route.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Let me correct that:

"short-term" stop gap, and just remove Bledsoe altogether.

I think they hope, as do I, that he can be here and play well for ten years.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I think they hope, as do I, that he can be here and play well for ten years.

Thanks Mr. Keitzman.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Safeest in that he (Cassel) has already shown that he can play in the NFL, and showed improvement from his first game to his last.

And I highly doubt that he will be held to a higher standard with Cassel because of the very fact that, unlike Sanchez and Stafford, he has done it in the NFL.

I was very glad when we traded for Cassel, because I wasn't that thrilled with the prospect of the QBs in this draft. The next "safe" move would be to draft Curry, and unless we move down, I hope we do.

jAZ

Isn't that more Belicheck rather than Carl Peterson? But no doubt, if Carl had pulled that at any time after the "5 year plan" expired... he'd be crushed.

milkman
Thanks Mr. Keitzman.

I'm sorry, but as much as I was opposed to the Cassel trade, I hope, as Messier does, that Cassel gives us ten years+ of top tier QB play.

He's ours, for better or worse, so hoping for anything less would just be stupid.

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Mr. Keitzman.

You're wecome Mr. Whitlock

Messier
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry, but as much as I was opposed to the Cassel trade, I hope, as Messier does, that Cassel gives us ten years+ of top tier QB play.

He's ours, for better or worse, so hoping for anything less would just be stupid.

Thank You. I was just about to post, does he actually hope Cassel doesn't last?

milkman
03-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I was very glad when we traded for Cassel, because I wasn't that thrilled with the prospect of the QBs in this draft. The next "safe" move would be to draft Curry, and unless we move down, I hope we do.

I was pissed, because I think Sanchez has "it", and will be an outstanding NFL QB for the next 15 years, after his one season of learning from the sidelines.

kcfanXIII
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
if he wrote this about the real media, and not just the sports media, i could agree. how in the hell did he get from trying to rebuild a football franchise to the iraq war? sorry, if it doesn't work out pioli isn't responsible for the deaths of thousands of our soldiers. this is pure garbage.

Halfcan
03-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Jwitt needs to find another job.

FringeNC
03-08-2009, 06:40 PM

I disagree. If we give up the 34th pick and make Cassel one of the highest paid players in the league (which I'm assuming we'll do), Pioli is placing a big bet here. If Cassel doesn't perform at a Pro Bowl level, Pioli's reputation is going to take a huge hit. Pioli didn't trade for Cassel because he was the safe choice, he traded for him because he thought he was the best choice. Not saying he is right or wrong, but there is nothing safe about in my opinon.

Now had he gone the rookie route, there is the incubation period for rookie QBs, plus the built-in excuse that there are quite a few 1st round QB flops. There is very little pressure on Pioli in that scenario for at least two years. By acquiring Cassel, the pressure is on he and Pioli to perform well from day one.

jAZ
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM

By the way, I did miss that.

And where ever it comes from, it's crazy as hell to lie to the media in a situation like that. It's definately not a good start. I suspect media relations and privacy are going to be a whole new world.

I don't think it reflects on the football stuff though. His mere hiring earns him a full year or two of "wait and see" freedom.

And as such, I'll defend the need to "wait and see".

While I think that stunt is outright stuipd, it doesn't impact my faith in Pioli's football abilities. They are completely different things.

That he's acting like BB (even the bad parts) is a good thing in my mind. Until proven otherwise, I'll wait and see on the football side.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Isn't that more Belicheck rather than Carl Peterson? But no doubt, if Carl had pulled that at any time after the "5 year plan" expired... he'd be crushed.

So Scott acts because that is the way BB did it? However I agree with you.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM
The first part of your post is correct. How may times in the past ten years have we heard that if this was any market outside of KC Carl would be hung out to dry. Now it is wrong because the KC media and/or fans may ask a question?
Come on DCS you are better than that post.

I said "they should open up the door a little more". What are you disagreeing with exactly?

milkman
03-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I disagree. If we give up the 34th pick and make Cassel one of the highest paid players in the league (which I'm assuming we'll do), Pioli is placing a big bet here. If Cassel doesn't perform at a Pro Bowl level, Pioli's reputation is going to take a huge hit. Pioli didn't trade for Cassel because he was the safe choice, he traded for him because he thought he was the best choice. Not saying he is right or wrong, but there is nothing safe about in my opinon.

Now had he gone the rookie route, there is the incubation period for rookie QBs, plus the built-in excuse that there are quite a few 1st round QB flops. There is very little pressure on Pioli in that scenario for at least two years. By acquiring Cassel, the pressure is on he and Pioli to perform well from day one.

I disagree.
Cassel is his free pass.

He went out and traded for the hot commodity, the NFL proven commodity.
If he turns out to be a one year wonder, then how was Pioli supposed to know that?

If he drafts a QB, and that QB busts, then they question why he drafted that QB when he could have taken a safer position.

ChiefsCountry

I agree, don't like the move but hopefully he delivers us a Super Bowl.

Darth CarlSatan

And that's exactly why I believe Cassel is Pioli's hedged bet.

I mean, let's be realistic here; Croyle, Martin, and Gray are going to be a part of this roster? Hell, Thigpen might end up traded or on the waiver wire. I'd LIKE to think that my new Head Coach has an eye for seeing true talent Vs. "fill the roster", yes?

We'll see. That's all I can ultimately say.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Is it possible for this board to expunge the term "safe" when talking about a fucking draft pick?

FringeNC
03-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I disagree.
Cassel is his free pass.

If he turns out to be a one year wonder, then how was Pioli supposed to know that?

If he drafts a QB, and that QB busts, then they question why he drafted that QB when he could have taken a safer position.

Who is going to give Pioli a free pass with Cassel?

Messier
03-08-2009, 07:13 PM
So Scott acts because that is the way BB did it? However I agree with you.

You've somehow got it in your head that Pioli isn't his own man, and that he was just a BB yes man. I don't know how everything was run in NE, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you don't either. I'll go with the general opinion of the NFL community that Pioli is a great football man, and was one of, if not the best candidate to be promoted to GM.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I disagree.
Cassel is his free pass.

Steve Puellar, Steve Bono, Scott Mitchell, Jeff Hosterler etc... all good NFL back up QB's on good teams who went to other teams as the starter. A NFL hot commodity is nothing more than the flavor of the day. John Elway, Dan Marino, Phil Simms, Peyton Manning etc. were not traded for as back ups. Only Eli was acquired in a trade and I don't think the Chiefs have the #1 pick this year.

Pioli is doing the same thing Carl did. However; now it's the right way to build a team.

Halfcan
03-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I disagree.
Cassel is his free pass.

exactly :clap:

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
You've somehow got it in your head that Pioli isn't his own man, and that he was just a BB yes man. I don't know how everything was run in NE, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you don't either. I'll go with the general opinion of the NFL community that Pioli is a great football man, and was one of, if not the best candidate to be promoted to GM.

Once again...20 Years ago CP was the hottest GM candidate in the NFL. Three teams including the Chiefs were pursuing him. What is different today? Carl had a history of success...Scott has a history of success. Please I just want the freedom to question someone. That is what makes boards fun.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Steve Puellar, Steve Bono, Scott Mitchell, Jeff Hosterler etc... all good NFL back up QB's on good teams who went to other teams as the starter. A NFL hot commodity is nothing more than the flavor of the day. John Elway, Dan Marino, Phil Simms, Peyton Manning etc. were not traded for as back ups. Only Eli was acquired in a trade and I don't think the Chiefs have the #1 pick this year.

Pioli is doing the same thing Carl did. However; now it's the right way to build a team.

I keep hearing "He's the guy"! "He's the guy"! "That's it, and there ain't no more"!

Yet here we sit one week from the announcement, and where is the word on this guy's 4 or more-year deal? We won't get the $$$ count, but we'll know how long he's signed for. Where is it?

And you can bet your ass if his final contract is for 3 or LESS years, his status as "The Man" is absolutely in question.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Once again...20 Years ago CP was the hottest GM candidate in the NFL. Three teams including the Chiefs were pursuing him. What is different today? Carl had a history of success...Scott has a history of success. Please I just want the freedom to question someone. That is what makes boards fun.

I agree with what you say...other than equating Carl's success to Pioli's. Carl has no rings. The problem is that the way Whitlock presented it was so transparently selfish that it should never have been put in the paper. People wonder why subscriptions to newspapers go down and blame the economy when the real reason is that the quality of journalism (save JoPo and a few others) is ridiculous.

Whitlock writes with an agenda to try and create stories. He wants to be the one who brings down Scott the Legend. The problem is that Pioli's first off season isn't even close to being done yet...so to start calling it into question before the body of work is even complete is premature. The Cassel trade can't be evaluated until the team is brought together.

But I do agree that discussing the moves is fun.

FAX
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
The difference between Scott Pioli and Carl Peterson is the difference between Stephen Hawking and an old lady who spends her afternoons driving around in her Ford Fairlane looking for box turtles to run over.

The only thing these two guys have in common is they have both held the title of GM for the Chiefs. That's it.

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 08:07 PM
The difference between Scott Pioli and Carl Peterson is the difference between Stephen Hawking and an old lady who spends her afternoons driving around in her Ford Fairlane looking for box turtles to run over.

The only thing these two guys have in common is they have both held the title of GM for the Chiefs. That's it.

FAX

LMAO

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
LMAOGuy's got a way with words.

Extra Point
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
...Having failed in sports-talk radio, I’m aware the discipline requires a dramatic and healthy loosening of journalistic standards, like making innuendos at the chicks I worked with/hit on. But basic common sense and backbone are allowed and occasionally encouraged when hosting a radio show, but see the crap I put up on now on msn.com.

Supporting the new regime does not equate to rejecting the primary (and redeeming) role of the media, and bitching about the fact that I'm unimportant in this town is what I really do best.

It’s our job to acquire information and pass it along to you. Based on what we’ve seen from the Bill Belichick era in New England and our first two months with Pioli, gathering pertinent and enlightening information about the Chiefs is going to be rather difficult. Because there's nothing really to report, we like making up junk so there has to be a press release to deny what we make up.

But overall, we attempt to be a watchdog of those with power, and act like junkyard dogs when we just want to watch the game for free, and bitch at the teams for whatever reason we see fit.

Jerk-Lock

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 08:25 PM

FAX

Hey FAX where were you 20 years ago? If you were even born then you thought Carl was that savior. Now you want to change your mind, or admit that you don't know/remember the last time this happened. Let us question the way a team is run without blind followers.

Messier
03-08-2009, 08:27 PM

With the exception of Jeff Hostetler I don't think any of the others started a full season before they went to their new team, and none of those QBs was being pursued by people that were involved with the franchise they came from. Cassel was wanted by Pioli and Josh McDaniels. If there are two people that know what they're getting it's these two. If there is a comparison I'd say Trent Green or Matt Hasselbeck,QB's that were wanted and pursued by people who knew them.

FAX
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey FAX where were you 20 years ago? If you were even born then you thought Carl was that savior. Now you want to change your mind, or admit that you don't know/remember the last time this happened. Let us question the way a team is run without blind followers.

20 years ago ... 20 years ago ... let's see ... oh, yeah - 20 years ago I was in the Amazon helping indigenous tribespeeps overcome their poverty by building a factory to make exportable little dolls out of alligator belly skin and piranha teeth. It would have worked, too, had we not kept losing our best workers in raw materials acquisition.

Anyway, I think I know what you're saying Mr. Mojo Jojo, and I subscribe to the concept of healthy skepticism. Certainly Pioli isn't perfect and he'll make mistakes. My point is simply this; we Chiefs fans have a very poor standard with which to measure Pioli. That's what makes Whittle's article so silly.

Carl Peterson kept his job - not due to the quality of his work product or outcomes - but because of the loyalty of a great man. To sit around and compare Pioli (who has three SBs to his credit already) to Peterson is absurd. That's all I'm saying.

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
20 years ago ... 20 years ago ... let's see ... oh, yeah - 20 years ago I was in the Amazon helping indigenous tribespeeps overcome their poverty by building a factory to make exportable little dolls out of alligator belly skin and piranha teeth. It would have worked, too, had we not kept losing our best workers in raw materials acquisition.

Anyway, I think I know what you're saying Mr. Mojo Jojo, and I subscribe to the concept of healthy skepticism. Certainly Pioli isn't perfect and he'll make mistakes. My point is simply this; we Chiefs fans have a very poor standard with which to measure Pioli. That's what makes Whittle's article so silly.

Carl Peterson kept his job - not due to the quality of his work product or outcomes - but because of the loyalty of a great man. To sit around and compare Pioli (who has three SBs to his credit already) to Peterson is absurd. That's all I'm saying.

FAX

And box turtles.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I agree with what you say...other than equating Carl's success to Pioli's. Carl has no rings. The problem is that the way Whitlock presented it was so transparently selfish that it should never have been put in the paper. People wonder why subscriptions to newspapers go down and blame the economy when the real reason is that the quality of journalism (save JoPo and a few others) is ridiculous.

Whitlock writes with an agenda to try and create stories. He wants to be the one who brings down Scott the Legend. The problem is that Pioli's first off season isn't even close to being done yet...so to start calling it into question before the body of work is even complete is premature. The Cassel trade can't be evaluated until the team is brought together.

But I do agree that discussing the moves is fun.

I am with you...FYI Carl did win a NFC Championship ring as well as two USFL rings and that is three more rings than any poster on this board will ever win in pro football.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I am with you...FYI Carl did win a NFC Championship ring as well as two USFL rings and that is three more rings than any poster on this board will ever win in pro football.

:rolleyes:

Messier
03-08-2009, 08:55 PM

Huh?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 08:58 PM

I won three spider rings at Chuck E Cheese a couple of weeks ago.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:03 PM

So you are saying it takes nothing to win a ring. Thanks, and I'm sure Scott agrees.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:03 PM

LMAO I wonder how many tickets it takes to get the USFL ring?

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
LMAO I wonder how many tickets it takes to get the USFL ring?

More than you will ever see.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:08 PM
So you are saying it takes nothing to win a ring. Thanks, and I'm sure Scott agrees.

It sure as hell takes nothing but the worst kind of apathy to be the last 5 years of Carl Fucking Peckerson, and you can carve that on a stone tablet, put it Moses waiting hands, and send his old ass right on down the mountain with it!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/avatar7293_21gif.jpg

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Chuck E Cheese Spider Ring = 10 tickets

2 USFL Rings = 2 shits

3 NFL Rings = Priceless

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM

2 USFL Rings = 2 shits

3 NFL Rings = Priceless

Hey CaliforniaChief....
How many rings...pro football or other sports...have you won? Be a man and bring it on.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey CaliforniaChief....
How many rings...pro football or other sports...have you won? Be a man and bring it on.

I know you are but what am I?

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I know you are but what am I?

Wow...welcome to the 4th grade.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM

2 USFL Rings = 2 shits

3 NFL Rings = Priceless

Hey! Those Oklahoma Outlaws were the second coming of the Iron Curtain I tell's 'ya!!!

LMAO

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Wow...welcome to the 4th grade.

I only suggest this because I've had issues with mine...but you might wanna check the fluids on your sarcasm meter.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Hey! Those Oklahoma Outlaws were the second coming of the Iron Curtain I tell's 'ya!!!

LMAO

Never won a championship...and come on DCS...I said this before...you are better than this.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM

LMAO

True that...Kinda makes me mad that we didn't trade our 2nd round pick for the rights to acquire Doug Williams and Efren Herrera. Our kicking problems would be solved for the next 10 years.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I only suggest this because I've had issues with mine...but you might wanna check the fluids on your sarcasm meter.

Dude..question is... How many rings/watches ect. have you won? Please tell us all. Then you and I can get together and compare bling. Until then STFU!!!!

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
True that...Kinda makes me mad that we didn't trade our 2nd round pick for the rights to acquire Doug Williams and Efren Herrera. Our kicking problems would be solved for the next 10 years.

Yet Jim Kelly and Reggie White came from the USFL....I'm sure neither one will make an impact in the NFL.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

:doh!:

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Dude..question is... How many rings/watches ect. have you won? Please tell us all. Then you and I can get together and compare bling. Until then STFU!!!!

Are you implying you play sports professionally, or are you in fact CP trolling CP?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Yes, you've exposed me. I'm ruined. I haven't climbed the heights of USFL glory and have never managed to hoodwink an organization for 20 years on a busted 5 year plan. I never hired Herm Edwards to be a head coach, never found such gems as Junior Siavii, Ryan Sims, or Elvis Grbac. I've never been Bob Gretz' dominatrix nor have I shared my feelings with Jason Whitlock.

But it's my inability to be successful as a USFL General Manager that I will die regretting.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Are you implying you play sports professionally, or are you in fact CP trolling CP?

No...I have never played sports professionally...last time I checked Pioli and Peterson didn't either, but being a part of a championship team is more than playing...see Scott Pioli.

One again...what bling have you ever won?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
No...I have never played sports professionally...last time I checked Pioli and Peterson didn't either, but being a part of a championship team is more than playing...see Scott Pioli.

One again...what bling have you ever won?

So you're actually Carl Peterson?

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, you've exposed me. I'm ruined. I haven't climbed the heights of USFL glory and have never managed to hoodwink an organization for 20 years on a busted 5 year plan. I never hired Herm Edwards to be a head coach, never found such gems as Junior Siavii, Ryan Sims, or Elvis Grbac. I've never been Bob Gretz' dominatrix nor have I shared my feelings with Jason Whitlock.

But it's my inability to be successful as a USFL General Manager that I will die regretting.

ROFL ZING!

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
So you're actually Carl Peterson?

No I'm not, but I could be Scott Pioli.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't think Scott Pioli's ever heard of the USFL.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:35 PM

So when should I book Twitlock to come grill you for an hour or two regarding your every move?

Darth CarlSatan

Ska-duum-BA! LMAO

Count Zarth
Scott Pioli is a genius, I tell you. He registered on Chiefsplanet three full years before he would be an employee of the Chiefs. Genius!

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM

Come on and bring it...what have you ever won? This was about being able to question what an organization does.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:36 PM
So when should I book Twitlock to come grill you for an hour or two regarding your every move?

LMAO

Once he's done meeting with Brian Waters?

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Scott Pioli is a genius, I tell you. He registered on Chiefsplanet three full years before he would be an employee of the Chiefs. Genius!

Claython...I know your boss...I exposed him sleeping through a Chiefs press conference...BTW I do have it on tape. Wow everyone was laughing, but he is the guy that would hire you...nuff said.

You have no idea what it would take to be employed by a NFL team.

Count Zarth
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Which is amusing considering I've done work for the Chiefs in the past.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Claython...I know your boss...I exposed him sleeping through a Chiefs press conference...BTW I do have it on tape. Wow everyone was laughing, but he is the guy that would hire you...nuff said.

You keep tapes of Nick Athan in your personal library? http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/smilies/headshake.gif

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
LMAO

Once he's done meeting with Brian Waters?

LMAO We'll be here ALL WEEK ladies and gentlemen!

BigRock
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I disagree.
Cassel is his free pass.

How was Pioli supposed to know that? Pioli should have a better read on Cassel than anybody. He drafted Cassel. He's been watching Cassel for the last few years when nobody outside of New England ever saw the guy throw a pass. And, like everyone else, he watched him up-close this past year when Cassel took over as the starter.

Compare what Pioli knows about Cassel to what he knows of Stafford or Sanchez. With Cassel, Pioli has years of evaluation, both in terms of college scouting and "is this guy going to make our roster?". With Stafford and Sanchez, he has one year of evaluaton at best. With Cassel, Pioli has 16 games of tape of Cassel against actual NFL defenses. With Stafford and Sanchez, he has zero.

If Cassel ends up a one-year wonder, it's a far more damning indictment of Pioli's ability to evaluate talent than if he'd drafted a QB at #3 and whiffed on the pick. And that will especially be true if one or both of the QBs available at #3 turn out to be good players, because Pioli would have written them off in favor of Cassel.

The only way Cassel is the "safer" pick is because he's proven he can do it in the pros, while rookies obviously haven't. But Cassel is still a risk because he's hardly a time-tested veteran (which is why this isn't a "Carl move" to the guy who keeps saying otherwise). It just so happens that he's "safer" than playing an actual rookie.

But in terms of Pioli's reputation, he stands to take a far greater hit if Cassel is a bust than if he'd drafted a QB #3 and that guy was a bust.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Oh dear God, it's Teicher; RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!ROFL

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
How was Pioli supposed to know that? Pioli should have a better read on Cassel than anybody.

Ka-BOOM! Rep!

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Which is amusing considering I've done work for the Chiefs in the past.

Clayton...I have done a lot of work with the Chiefs in the past....you are in the same class as Nick. Bob, Pete and Brad have done a lot of work with me. I also did a lot of work with Patrick before he left for Wisconson. I will put my work with NFL, MLB and NBA against you any day. FYI not to rub it in, but I've also had sex.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh dear God, it's Teicher; RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!ROFL

We'd better stop. I don't wanna get called into Goodell's office. That would destroy my reputation and crush my dreams of ever rekindling the magic of USFL glory. I've got big plans for Casey Printers.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:53 PM
We'd better stop. I don't wanna get called into Goodell's office. That would destroy my reputation and crush my dreams of ever rekindling the magic of USFL glory. I've got big plans for Casey Printers.

LMAO:LOL:LMAO:LOL:LMAOLMAO WINNER.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Clayton...I have done a lot of work with the Chiefs in the past....you are in the same class as Nick. Bob, Pete and Brad have done a lot of work with me. I also did a lot of work with Patrick before he left for Wisconson. I will put my work with NFL, MLB and NBA against you any day. FYI not to rub it in, but I've also had sex.

Wait a minute! It's PetroDouche; KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

ROFL

Count Zarth
03-08-2009, 09:56 PM

That's great. You want a fucking Pulitzer? ROFL

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
That's great. You want a ****ing Pulitzer? ROFL

Claython...people myself included like your work, but you do need to grow up. I've done more than your will ever dream, so please take it for what it is worth. FYI Nick is the laughing stock of One Arrowhead Drive, or the new address when they can make it official. Bob Moore laughs and laughs about what Nick will do for a story.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Claython...people myself included like your work, but you do need to grow up. I've done more than your will ever dream, so please take it for what it is worth. FYI Nick is the laughing stock of One Arrowhead Drive, or the new address when they can make it official. Bob Moore laughs and laughs about what Nick will do for a story.

Since we're taking stabs in the dark here:

If you happen to be Bob Gretz, please go enema yourself with a claw hammer.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Does being a name-dropper make one "grown up?"

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Does being a name-dropper make one "grown up?"

I'm not Bob Gretz...and working with someone does not make them a "name-dropper" Once you can man up and admit what you have done then we can play ball.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Since we're taking stabs in the dark here:

If you happen to be Bob Gretz, please go enema yourself with a claw hammer.

Wow, I think I gave you too much respect.

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I think the most important question here is...

Which KC media member would be most likely to choose a Powerpuff Girl's villain as an avatar? :hmmm:

Count Zarth
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I've done more than your will ever dream

Embarrassing typos included.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow...let's see you've dropped Bob Moore, Patrick, Pete, Bob (Gretz), Brad, and the infamous "I have a tape of Nick Athan" episode. I'm waiting to hear of how you and Todd (Haley) have been breaking down tape over the last few weeks.

BigChief68
03-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd rather that the Chiefs effectively and quitely create a football powerhouse like no other, without the interference of the media. The media is generally a collection of idiots attempting to make a name for themselves at the expense of others. ****em.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: Totally agree!!!!

Spott
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Which KC media member would be most likely to choose a Powerpuff Girl's villain as an avatar? :hmmm:

If I had to guess, it would probably be KK. I always thought he sounded like a rump ranger.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Embarrassing typos included.

Still I have done it and you NEVER will.

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
If I had to guess, it would probably be KK. I always thought he sounded like a rump ranger.Well, he did get busted receiving a BJ from a female intern once.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
:thumb::thumb::thumb: Totally agree!!!!

This was the point of the OP. Thank you for bringing us back. I still think we need to question those in charge.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Is that near Elinoy?

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

That would be Billy "Scoops" Butterbrittle. The famed Kansas City reporter who broke the Urinal Scandal back in the '60s.

We have Scoops to thank for our peeking laws and, today, all men can whiz in the comfortable and secure knowledge that anyone who can later describe their junk in detail are looking right down the barrel at 6 months and a $400 fine.

FAX

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow...let's see you've dropped Bob Moore, Patrick, Pete, Bob (Gretz), Brad, and the infamous "I have a tape of Nick "Assclown" Athan" episode. I'm waiting to hear of how you and Todd (Haley) have been breaking down tape over the last few weeks.

I've broken down tape in the ESPN, ABC and CBS trucks. Have you? Come on you are a joke. Just admit you are a fan and have never done anything in football.

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Loading those VTRs used to be a heck of a lot of responsibility, that's for sure.

Sometimes, they weren't even rewound all the way.

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not Bob Gretz...and working with someone does not make them a "name-dropper" Once you can man up and admit what you have done then we can play ball.

Well, let's just throw the blanket out there then.

Len Dawson and Mitch Holthus are exempt from the following statement:

There are varying degrees of shit, but shit is still shit. And quite frankly, I can't name ONE journalist or radio "personality" in the KC market that merits a prize of ANY sort.

Your articles are guaranteed to contain pablum and/or disinformation, and/or personal opinion that has more to do with agenda than facts, in large, small, or medium quantities, and you ask some of the stupidest fucking questions in press conferences with the Chiefs that I've ever heard.

If I were Pioli or Haley, I wouldn't exactly be getting "morning wood" over the prospect of spending five minutes with you, much less a half hour or more.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I've broken down tape in the ESPN, ABC and CBS trucks. Have you? Come on you are a joke. Just admit you are a fan and have never done anything in football.

You've never worked for Univision? You gringo.

Spott
03-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I've never been in the ESPN trailer, but one time I took a leak behind it before a Monday night game because there were no porta-potties close by.

Count Zarth
I've broken down tape in the ESPN, ABC and CBS trucks.

Yes, but have you had sex in an ESPN, ABC or CBS truck?

Darth CarlSatan
You've never worked for Univision? You gringo.

LMAO

It's "fuutball", Gringo; "fuutball".

Just Passin' By

What the hell does any of this bullshit have to do with your perceived need for the Chiefs to be telling their stories to a bunch of assclowns who think a press pass makes them special?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I've gone down in the ESPN, ABC and CBS trucks. Have you? Come on you are a joke. Just admit you are a fan and have never done anyone in football.

FYP

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Well, let's just throw the blanket out there then.

Len Dawson and Mitch Holthus are exempt from the following statement:

There are varying degrees of shit, but shit is still shit. And quite frankly, I can't name ONE journalist or radio "personality" in the KC market that merits a prize of ANY sort.

Your articles are guaranteed to contain pablum and/or disinformation, and/or personal opinion that has more to with agenda than facts, in large, small, or medium quantities, and you ask some of the stupidest ****ing questions in press conferences with the Chiefs that I've ever heard.

If I were Pioli or Haley, I wouldn't exactly be getting "morning wood" over the prospect of spending five minutes with you, much less a half hour or more.

I have never asked a question at a Chiefs press conference. I'm not with any publication or electronic media...I just want to know why we can't question Scott, Todd, Clark etc...?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
What the hell does any of this bullshit have to do with your perceived need for the Chiefs to be telling their stories to a bunch of assclowns who think a press pass makes them special?

Because unlike the elite in the KC media, apparently we don't appreciate USFL success and failed 20 year plans.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Because when it was Carl it was worth talking about. Jason, Jack, KK and everyone on this board wanted answers. What has changed except Scott has his dick in you mouth?

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Because when it was Carl it was worth talking about. Jason, Jack, KK and everyone on this board wanted answers. What has changed except Scott has his dick in you mouth?

Excellent.

Ah, the good old days.http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/smilies/thumb.gif

KcMizzou
I have never asked a question at a Chiefs press conference. I'm not with any publication or electronic media...I just want to know why we can't question Scott, Todd, Clark etc...?It's not that you can't. Anyone can question anything.

But if you're butthurt that you can't literally question them, as in... in person... that's your problem.

Their job is to rebuild an NFL franchise, PR is way, way down on the list of priorities. (As it should be.)

It's no coincidence, that while the regular guy on the street is fine with it... the media's having a shit fit.

Mojo Jojo
Because unlike the elite in the KC media, apparently we don't appreciate USFL success and failed 20 year plans.

"Elite KC media?" Anyone will tell you this is one of the kindest media markets in America. In fact...some media types will tell you that is why Carl kept his job so long.

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Because when it was Carl it was worth talking about. Jason, Jack, KK and everyone on this board wanted answers. What has changed ... ?

I think I know what's changed. We have a new GM who isn't taking questions.

I think that's it.

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I have never asked a question at a Chiefs press conference. I'm not with any publication or electronic media...I just want to know why we can't question Scott, Todd, Clark etc...?

What are you talking about?!?!? We question them ALL THE FUCKING TIME on this board!

Or do you mean "why can't Whitlock pull a Brian Waters and just march on in the offices unannounced and start grilling whomever the hell he pleases"?

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I think that's it.

FAXIt's that simple.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
What are you talking about?!?!? We question them ALL THE ****ING TIME on this board!

Or do you mean "why can't Whitlock pull a Brian Waters and just march on in the offices unannounced and start grilling whomever the hell he pleases"?

It happens in every market. Do we want to be in the big leagues or do we want to cave to the new guy?

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Your stroking yourself over USFL victories and you talk shit to me? Go back to drinking from Peterson's "bottle".

Mojo Jojo

I think that's it.

FAX

Same story as 20 years ago. Maybe somebody should have asked questions then.

Darth CarlSatan

Can we let Pioli and Haley do a draft, build a team, and play ONE FUCKING SEASON FIRST????

Can we do THAT before we release the hounds and start breaking down every move these guys make?

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Same story as 20 years ago. Maybe somebody should have asked questions then.

What would you have asked, lo those many years ago?

FAX

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
It happens in every market. Do we want to be in the big leagues or do we want to cave to the new guy?I think you vastly over estimate the media's importance in producing a winning football team.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I think you vastly over estimate the media's importance in producing a winning football team.

No shit!

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
What would you have asked, lo those many years ago?

FAX

Judging from his posts here, he would probably have asked Peterson if he could spit instead of swallowing.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Your stroking yourself over USFL victories and you talk shit to me? Go back to drinking from Peterson's "bottle".

No I'm not. I am just asking all the experts on this board to bring out their bling.

I hope Scott wins the next 10 "Super Bowls TM" , but too many people here think it just happens.

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
No I'm not. I am just asking all the experts on this board to bring out their bling.

I hope Scott wins the next 10 "Super Bowls TM" , but too many people here think it just happens.

So what would you have asked?

And since it doesn't "just happen", how does the media help make it happen?

FAX

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I kinda like this guy. He's wacky.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I think you vastly over estimate the media's importance in producing a winning football team.

For years we have heard that Lamar and Carl wouldn't answer questions because they are scared. Now Clark and Scott won't answer questions and we are building a championship team. Give me a honest answer...what has changed?

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
If Lamar or Carl didn't answer a question the media went nuts. Now that Clark or Scott won't answer a question it is because they a building a championship team. Give me an honest answer...wh

Give a list of 5-10 questions that you think the team should be forced to answer.

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
For years we have heard that Lamar and Carl wouldn't answer questions because they are scared. Now Clark and Scott won't answer questions and we are building a championship team. Give me a honest answer...what has changed?The entire front office. GM, HC, QB....

Nobody thinks we're guaranteed a Super Bowl. Just that it's more likely now, than before.

FAX
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Okay, the irony isn't lost on me.

You have said that the media should have asked questions of Carl 20 years ago. You have said that the media should have the opportunity to ask questions of Pioli. You have said you are or were a member of the media. I have asked you a question. You are not answering the question.

Where's Waldo?

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Okay, the irony isn't lost on me.

You have said that the media should have asked questions of Carl 20 years ago. You have said that the media should have the opportunity to ask questions of Pioli. You have said you are or were a member of the media. I have asked you a question. You are not answering the question.

Where's Waldo?

FAX

And then he said he was NOT a member of the media.

"Lithium at table two, please"...:rolleyes:

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:00 PM
The entire front office. GM, HC, QB....

Nobody thinks we're guaranteed a Super Bowl. Just that it's more likely now, than before.

ROFL

It can't be this. There must be something more nefarious at work...

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Give a list of 5-10 questions that you think the team should be forced to answer.

First of all nobody should be "forced" to answer a question, but it should still be asked. You weren't clear do you want 5 or 10 questions?

1. Who is the DC?
2. As of today who is the starting QB? (Last week it was an open job.)
3. 3-4 or 4-3? Follow up why?
4. Who will be calling the play?
5. And for Clark...Who is the Chiefs President?

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
And then he said he was NOT a member of the media.

"Lithium at table two, please"...:rolleyes:

DCS...

Come on I'm not a member of the media. If you have the balls to prove why you belong on this board then I would love to meet with you. Until then you are just another pretender.

FAX
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
First of all nobody should be "forced" to answer a question, but it should still be asked. You weren't clear do you want 5 or 10 questions?

1. Who is the DC?

Okay. That's great. Now, let's pretend that the answers are as follows;

1. We haven't determined that.
2. We haven't determined that.
3. We haven't determined that.
4. We haven't determined that.
5. We haven't determined that.

How does that help us A) Avoid another Carl and B) Win a Super Bowl?

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
DCS...

Come on I'm not a member of the media. If you have the balls to prove why you belong on this board then I would love to meet with you. Until then you are just another pretender.

I think I could ask the same of you. But I won't, because it's an utterly meaningless question that has no bearing on the subject at hand.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:18 PM

1. Who is the DC?

I'd say the answers to 1-2 are sufficiently clear.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd say the answers to 1-2 are sufficiently clear.

Or sufficiently speculative. :p

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Sorry, dude. The dream died.

It's Cassel.

Mum 'til draft day to keep folks guessing to increase the potential for a trade down.

And as soon as we stab enough cousins, the DC thing will be settled.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Okay. That's great. Now, let's pretend that the answers are as follows;

1. We haven't determined that.
2. We haven't determined that.
3. We haven't determined that.
4. We haven't determined that.
5. We haven't determined that.

How does that help us A) Avoid another Carl and B) Win a Super Bowl?

FAX

I don't disagree, but most on this board don't want to ask these questions.
FYI..."B" is more important.

FAX
03-08-2009, 11:25 PM
EDIT: Didn't see the prior post before posting post.

I don't understand. Those are the topics that are discussed on this board all the time.

FAX

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM

It's Cassel.

Mum 'til draft day to keep folks guessing to increase the potential for a trade down.

"Show me the contract"!!!

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:27 PM

It's Cassel.

I would agree, but why won't the Chiefs say it? Once again another Carl trick that is too cool because it is Scott and Todd are doing it now.

kc rush
03-08-2009, 11:28 PM
DCS...

Are there requirements for belonging to this board? I must have missed the memo.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:29 PM

That is the perfect answer.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Are there requirements for belonging to this board? I must have missed the memo.

If you can hit the mark on both the urinal AND the toilet of a Johnny On The Spot; you're IN!

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Are there requirements for belonging to this board? I must have missed the memo.I have the balls to belong on this board.

Sometimes they're held for charity, and some for fancy dress.

But when they're held for pleasure, they're the balls that I like best....

Sorry, carry on.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
I would agree, but why won't the Chiefs say it? Once again another Carl trick that is too cool because it is Scott and Todd are doing it now.

Because right now, if you say this is our guy, everyone knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you aren't taking a QB at #3. That's why.

It's all about posturing for the draft.

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM

1. Who is the DC?

Ok, now, which one of these is somehow an obstacle to future Super Bowl victories if the great and powerful Mojo Jojo doesn't have the answer?

Here, let me answer:

None of them. Oh, and for the record, there have been press conferences where questions were asked and answered:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/features/

I hope that helps ease your troubled mind.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Because right now, if you say this is our guy, everyone knows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you aren't taking a QB at #3. That's why.

It's all about posturing for the draft.

What do you have to lose?

If you say you want the QB and someone wants him more you win in a trade.

If you rally don't want him, but he is the best person on the board...you win. Someone will over trade or you have a QBOTF. See the New York Giants.

FYI when Carl did this the board went nuts.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 11:46 PM

If you rally don't want him, but he is the best person on the board...you win. Someone will over trade or you have a QBOTF. See the New York Giants.

No, Carl ran his mouth. See the 2007 draft.

"I guarantee Brady Quinn won't get past the Chiefs. hahahahaha."

That worked out well, huh?

So to answer your question, "what's there to lose?": a ****ing shit ton.

Darth CarlSatan
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Yep. Right now you gotta' keep it quiet, and rely on DCS's infallible killer instincts and mojo crystal ball to light your way in these murky times...:D

Just Passin' By
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM

1. Who is the DC?

Also, just to follow up with some pertinent information:

Regarding question 1:
Q: Where are you at on the defensive side? Is Clancy Pendergast going to be the coordinator?

HALEY: ďWeíre still in a state of flux. Once again, Iím trying to do my best to get as many good coaches into the building and on to the Chiefs staff as I can. Thereís still a little a fluidity to the situation, nothing I can comment directly on right now, but Iím excited about the guys weíve got right now. A bunch of guys I have some history with, and a bunch of guys I think are pretty good coaches.Ē

Q: So youíre not done on the defensive side?

HALEY: ďI canít say. Might be, but thereís definitely a couple more guys Iím doing my best to try to get.Ē

Q: How close are you to settling your defensive staff?

HALEY: ďWe still may add one or more pieces here. Weíre working on it. Weíre getting closer. Offense is pretty well set and defensive we may add one or two more pieces.Ē

Regarding question 2:
Q: Is Cassel in the competition or the starter on day one?

HALEY: ďI just got off the phone with Tyler (Thigpen) and I told him that Iím a very selfish coach. I think thatís evidenced by Arizona and what we did. Weíre going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win. I would say that Matt Cassel is coming in here to compete for the starting quarterback position.Ē

Q: But he wasnít told officially that he was the starter?

HALEY: ďNo. We hadnít any conversation like that.Ē

Regarding question 3:
Q: Where are you in terms of deciding what sort of defensive front youíll go with?

HALEY: ďAgain, I think that itís critical that we go through Ė and thatís their first assignment Ė was to go through our players, player by player, and not think about scheme, but letís try to figure out what we have and what each player brings to the table. Until thatís finalized and we kind of have a feel for those guys and what theyíre capable of Ė thatís not something you can wait two months to decide Ė weíve gotta move here and weíll be working hard to get those answers.Ē

Q: Does he give you more flexibility to go to maybe a three-four defense?

HALEY: ďItís something heís played a bunch in and has been a successful player in it.Ē

Q: Have they indicated whether it will be a 4-3 or 3-4 defense?

VRABEL: ďEverything that I know, I think that there is going to be a lot of flexibility there.

Regarding question 4:
Q: Have you had a chance to talk with Chan about who is calling the plays?

HALEY: ďAgain, Iím not even done trying to get the staff together. I think that is priority number one. Everything has to go towards that. Weíve started the evaluation of the team process. Thatís all going to be part of i. Iím excited about having a guy like Chan Gailey with his experience. The more time Iím around him, the more Iím excited about what heíll bring to us.Ē

So, 4 of your 5 questions have already been answered in one form or another. The fifth one isn't one that I have even the slightest interest in checking on.

CaliforniaChief
03-08-2009, 11:58 PM

This.

Scott Pioli is not an elected official. He's not responsible to answer your questions. He is responsible for fielding a winning product, and is accountable to Clark Hunt. Clark Hunt is responsible to the fan base or he won't sell tickets and will lose money. If Clark Hunt thinks that the secrecy inside Arrowhead is harming the fan base and affecting his product, then I'm sure Pioli will squeal like a junior high girl and have Mojo Jojo's heroes (Whitlock and crew) over for tea and scones....and spill all the dirty secrets.

I for one don't need to know if we're running a 3-4 defense, because I'm not sure I want other teams in the draft knowing how that might affect personnel acquisitions.

I don't need to know who's "calling the play" (Mojo's words) because I know Herm isn't.

I don't need to know who's the President of the team because it's irrelevant to 99.9% of people (Brian Waters and Mojo excluded) whether Dunny Thum or Donald Trump is overseeing the business operation of the team.

I need to know that Pioli's busier putting a football team together than wanting a report on the desk in Mojo's desk giving him all the information he wants.

Mojo Jojo
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Also, just to follow up with some pertinent information:

Regarding question 1:

Regarding question 2:

Regarding question 3:

Regarding question 4:

So, 4 of your 5 questions have already been answered in one form or another. The fifth one isn't one that I have even the slightest interest in checking on.

They have been answered without an answer. Thank you for doing my homework. The 5th question is about the Chiefs President. Clark want to make the GM and President two jobs. In any business world a GM will report to the President, so that is a very important question to any Chiefs fan.

morphius
03-09-2009, 12:00 AM

If you say QB then people try to jump in front of you, not trade with you. If the Chiefs said they are going to the 3-4, someone may try to jump us for the nose guard, etc.

Just Passin' By
03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
They have been answered without an answer. Thank you for doing my homework. The 5th question is about the Chiefs President. Clark want to make the GM and President two jobs. In any business world a GM will report to the President, so that is a very important question to any Chiefs fan.

They weren't answered without an answer. They were answered. Just because you don't like the answers, you want to bring in the inquisition. As for the question of the President, it's not important at all. It's just a title. What matters is the powers, and those are none of your business.

You got stuffed into a lot of lockers in your youth for whining about stupid shit like this, perhaps?

Mojo Jojo
03-09-2009, 12:03 AM
This.

Scott Pioli is not an elected official. He's not responsible to answer your questions. He is responsible for fielding a winning product, and is accountable to Clark Hunt. Clark Hunt is responsible to the fan base or he won't sell tickets and will lose money. If Clark Hunt thinks that the secrecy inside Arrowhead is harming the fan base and affecting his product, then I'm sure Pioli will squeal like a junior high girl and have Mojo Jojo's heroes (Whitlock and crew) over for tea and scones....and spill all the dirty secrets.

I for one don't need to know if we're running a 3-4 defense, because I'm not sure I want other teams in the draft knowing how that might affect personnel acquisitions.

I don't need to know who's "calling the play" (Mojo's words) because I know Herm isn't.

I don't need to know who's the President of the team because it's irrelevant to 99.9% of people (Brian Waters and Mojo excluded) whether Dunny Thum or Donald Trump is overseeing the business operation of the team.

I need to know that Pioli's busier putting a football team together than wanting a report on the desk in Mojo's desk giving him all the information he wants.

Have you never been in business? You don't have a clue how the real life works. If you just to be a fan then say so...if not let the adults do the work and you can play in your room.

Mojo Jojo
03-09-2009, 12:04 AM
They weren't answered without an answer. They were answered. Just because you don't like the answers, you want to bring in the inquisition. As for the question of the President, it's not important at all. It's just a title. What matters is the powers, and those are none of your business.

You got stuffed into a lot of lockers in your youth for whining about stupid shit like this, perhaps?

Would you let Carl get away with those answers? It is a yes or no question.

Chiefless
03-09-2009, 12:05 AM
I didn't go through the entire thread to see if someone posted it already, but this piece of "reporting" deseves the Billy Madison clip. Top to bottom, among the dumbest things ever written.

CaliforniaChief
03-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Have you never been in business? You don't have a clue how the real life works. If you just to be a fan then say so...if not let the adults do the work and you can play in your room.

I'm not familiar with the "real life." I just to be a fan? You comfort yourself with a Jason Whitlock blow-up doll coated in barbeque sauce and wet wipes. You send autograph requests to Denny Thum and send private e-mails to Adam Teicher. You take video tapes of Nick Athan and dream of the day where you can use it as blackmail against someone. You wack off in a musty basement to thoughts of telling your grandchildren about all that "tape" you broke down in the ESPN truck.

Have fun in your "real life." And if being in business involves pagers, Camaro's, and 55-year old trailer park retreads...well then no I've never been in business.

J Diddy
03-09-2009, 12:17 AM

He's absolutely right and you're absolutely bitter.

FAX
03-09-2009, 12:32 AM

What you are implying is spectacularly absurd.

FAX

CaliforniaChief
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
What you are implying is spectacularly absurd.

FAX

But unless you have a USFL championship ring and have videotape of Nick Athan sleeping at a Chiefs press conference YOU haven't lived. LOL.

I think he's drunk.

Darth CarlSatan
03-09-2009, 12:41 AM
But unless you have a USFL championship ring and have videotape of Nick "Assclown" Athan sleeping at a Chiefs press conference YOU haven't lived. LOL.

I think he's drunk.

Why you gotta' go associate something as beautiful as BBQ with Twitlock? He's clearly a Wimpy Burger by-product; 2 demerits for you. :p:D

FringeNC
03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
How was Pioli supposed to know that? Pioli should have a better read on Cassel than anybody. He drafted Cassel. He's been watching Cassel for the last few years when nobody outside of New England ever saw the guy throw a pass. And, like everyone else, he watched him up-close this past year when Cassel took over as the starter.

Compare what Pioli knows about Cassel to what he knows of Stafford or Sanchez. With Cassel, Pioli has years of evaluation, both in terms of college scouting and "is this guy going to make our roster?". With Stafford and Sanchez, he has one year of evaluaton at best. With Cassel, Pioli has 16 games of tape of Cassel against actual NFL defenses. With Stafford and Sanchez, he has zero.

If Cassel ends up a one-year wonder, it's a far more damning indictment of Pioli's ability to evaluate talent than if he'd drafted a QB at #3 and whiffed on the pick. And that will especially be true if one or both of the QBs available at #3 turn out to be good players, because Pioli would have written them off in favor of Cassel.

The only way Cassel is the "safer" pick is because he's proven he can do it in the pros, while rookies obviously haven't. But Cassel is still a risk because he's hardly a time-tested veteran (which is why this isn't a "Carl move" to the guy who keeps saying otherwise). It just so happens that he's "safer" than playing an actual rookie.

But in terms of Pioli's reputation, he stands to take a far greater hit if Cassel is a bust than if he'd drafted a QB #3 and that guy was a bust.

Nice post.

Jerm
03-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Reading through this thread, had to comment on this...

Ummm maybe I missed something as well, but this was NEVER mentioned in the conference call...I listened to the entire thing while it happened and Cassel didn't state he was in the building nor that he couldn't talk to anyone.

The only thing mentioned was when someone asked Cassel if he was in Kansas City and he replied with a simple yes. The conference call was done after that.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Reading through this thread, had to comment on this...

Ummm maybe I missed something as well, but this was NEVER mentioned in the conference call...I listened to the entire thing while it happened and Cassel didn't state he was in the building nor that he couldn't talk to anyone.

The only thing mentioned was when someone asked Cassel if he was in Kansas City and he replied with a simple yes. The conference call was done after that.

It was 'assumed' by media that he very well 'could' have been in the building, but it was never stated as such. Just Mojo making it up as he goes along.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2009, 08:30 AM

Just more ignorance from you. Amazing. If you SAY you want a guy, then teams trade above you to get him.

The difference with the Chargers/Giants is the Chargers had the FIRST pick you moron. No one could trade above them.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2009, 08:33 AM

No, they didn't blow the Cassel phone call. They underplayed the Cassel trade. CP would have paraded him around in tights and a cape as the savior of the franchise.

Pioli is smart enough NOT to put that pressure on him.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-09-2009, 08:47 AM

1. Who is the DC?

Is it beyond your comprehension that some of these questions have not been answered yet?

See, Herm would tell you everything that was going on. And, that was nice. We were 'in on it'. Only, things change, and with that, so do decisions. His honesty made him look like a hypocrite and a liar in the end.

Now, lets look at these 'questions' that you have.

#1) This probably depends on whether Crennel comes in. Right now, I am sure they have contingency plans. What do they gain by making them public?

#2) Again, right now, who knows? Thigpen may come in and beat out Cassel. Haley has NOT promised the position to Cassel (at least not publicly). Therefore, if the unexpected happens, and Thigpen outplays Cassel, then Haley is not breaking his word. I am sure that everyone in the Chiefs organization 'believes' it will be Cassel. But why on earth would you just hand the guy the job?

#3) More nonsense. First, I think the Chiefs coaches won't fully know what they have as far as players go until they actually get them on the field. I think they are going in the direction of the 3-4. And, I am sure they feel that certain players can do certain things. But, those players haven't actually done them on tape in a 3-4. So, there is still some question. Also, why not leave a little bit of question? I am sure that most NFL teams assume they are going to the 3-4. But, why not at least make them question it a little as they go through the draft?

#4) Again, isn't it possible at this time that they are not sure? Give me a freaking breaking. The Chiefs haven't made it onto the practice field. They haven't had a preseason game. Haley has no real experience with Gailey and I imagine he will give Gailey the opportunity to call the plays in the preseason and get a feel for him and then decide. Again, I don't think this has been decided just yet.

#5) I think it will be Denny Thum. But, why announce it now? He is a member of the old regime. Why on earth would you want to take away from the fans perception of a whole new organization?

We don't have a 'right' to know any of this stuff, especially at this point when some of these decisions haven't even been made.

htismaqe
03-09-2009, 09:09 AM

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Have you read some of the posts on here about it?

EVERYBODY would give Pioli a pass if he drafted Sanchez or Stafford and they flamed out. It would be a cavalcade of "it happens" reposts.

However, a large contingent of the fans (myself included) feel like Cassel's played in the NFL, he's been somewhat successful already, and if he DOESN'T pan out, it's on Pioli.

Going with Cassel is FAR riskier to Pioli's reputation, specifically because it's viewed as the safer move.

philfree
03-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Have you read some of the posts on here about it?

EVERYBODY would give Pioli a pass if he drafted Sanchez or Stafford and they flamed out. It would be a cavalcade of "it happens" reposts.

However, a large contingent of the fans (myself included) feel like Cassel's played in the NFL, he's been somewhat successful already, and if he DOESN'T pan out, it's on Pioli.
Going with Cassel is FAR riskier to Pioli's reputation, specifically because it's viewed as the safer move.

I don't really understand that logic. I don't see one way or the other making a difference. Any pick or pick up that doesn't pan out is gonna be on Pioli.

PhilFree:arrow:

htismaqe
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
If I had to guess, it would probably be KK. I always thought he sounded like a rump ranger.

I highly doubt Keitz would be on here defending Whitlock's article, considering the first thing the article did was call out Keitz...