PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports UFC - White upset with bad reffing

luv
03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I guess we weren't the only ones who didn't like some of the refs last night.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/White-upset-with-bad-reffing?urn=mma,146511

Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 am EDT

White upset with bad reffing
By Maggie Hendricks

With two different instances of questionable refereeing at UFC 96, UFC president Dana White was disgusted with the officiating. At the post-fight press conference, he said that he felt bad for Aaron Riley, the fighter who lost to Shane Nelson after referee Rick Fike stopped the fight when Nelson merely knocked Riley down.

"You feel bad for these guys who have trained, and traveled, and then it ends like that," White said.

White was just as upset about the slow ending to the Matt Brown TKO over Pete Sell. Brown dominated Sell, knocking him down early, and dominating him for the rest of the fight. More than once, Brown looked at referee Yves Levigne, as if to ask, "What more do I need to do?" White said that he hurt his arm from banging it on the Octagon and yelling to stop the fight.

The quick stoppage early from Fike may have played a part in Levigne's slow stoppage later on. White said that he wants to see referees take control of the fight, and be stronger in their decisions. They should not let the crowd affect their ideas. He also intimated that we would see more bad reffing during the upcoming season of the Ultimate Fighter.

Though White called the reffing and judging one of the hardest things in the sport right now, he didn't think all was bleak. He believes that there are some good referees. Normally, he'd include Levigne in that group, as well as Herb Dean and Mario Yamasaki.

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
TThat Matt Brown fight was crazy. I've never, ever seen a ref jump in... pull a fighter off a guy... and then let the fight continue.

Complete brain cramp by Yves. He's usually good too.

luv
03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I kinda like watching these fights. I'm not about to pay to get the PPV, though. I took tae-kwon-do when I was in junior high. Watching this makes that seem primitive.

Kyle DeLexus
03-08-2009, 11:59 AM
TThat Matt Brown fight was crazy. I've never, ever seen a ref jump in... pull a fighter off a guy... and then let the fight continue.

Complete brain cramp by Yves. He's usually good too.

That was nuts. It's good that he let it continue there, but should never have stepped in. He should have stepped in way earlier later in the fight though.

When you have a fighter that keeps looking at you to stop the fight, it can't be good.

KcMizzou
03-08-2009, 12:01 PM
That was nuts. It's good that he let it continue there, but should never have stepped in. He should have stepped in way earlier later in the fight though.

When you have a fighter that keeps looking at you to stop the fight, it can't be good.The look on Brown's face was like, "Jesus, do you want me to kill this guy?"

EyePod
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, the ref fucked up, but the best part of the fight was after Matt Brown hit him a few times, and Sell was smiling at him, and then Brown connected with the kick and you could literally see the smile leave his face. PRICELESS!

Kyle DeLexus
03-08-2009, 12:04 PM
The look on Brown's face was like, "Jesus, do you want me to kill this guy?"

It's just a good thing it was Brown in there and not someone else that wouldn't care and would be "going for the kill."

ArrowheadHawk
03-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah refs suck. I don't remember a decision that bad since the Tito Shamrock fight.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
luv, just because you watched your first UFC fight ever doesn't mean you need to post every article ever posted on the internet about it AND act like you've been watching forever kthxbye

luv
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
luv, just because you watched your first UFC fight ever doesn't mean you need to post every article ever posted on the internet about it AND act like you've been watching forever kthxbye

1. It wasn't my first time watching.
2. I've posted two.
3. If you're really not that interested, then don't read them.

kthxbye

ArrowheadHawk
03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
1. It wasn't my first time watching.
2. I've posted two.
3. If you're really not that interested, then don't read them.

kthxbye

Snap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Third Eye
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I bet Dana misses Big John.

unlurking
03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, someone seems pissy.

My first reaction to Lavigne's officiating was that he didn't want Sell to lose for some reason. Just seemed like he jumped in based on instinct, and then kinda had a "whoa, wait a minute" moment and stepped back and tried to get the fight going again.

Katipan
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I bet Dana misses Big John.

We went down memory lane and watched UFC 1-3 the other night. Big John was tiiiiiiiny. Everything else was the same. But man did he hit the gym.

BigVE
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
What's funny though is after the last UFC event the ref's were under fire for stepping in TOO SOON...now they let a guy get beat half to death and they are still under fire. I know it's not an easy job but it's pretty much a thankless job to, you can't win.