PDA

View Full Version : Royals Yankees Interested in Teahen?

MIAdragon
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Yankees Interested in Teahen?
By Steve Adams [March 8 at 1:16pm CST]
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star is reporting that the Yankees may have interest in acquiring Royals' utility man Mark Teahen, in light of Alex Rodriguez's recent decision to undergo surgery.

Royals officials are writing it off as speculation, but with A-Rod expected to miss two months, the Yanks have been on the lookout for a temporary fix. Their current in-house candidate for a replacement is 33-year-old journeyman Cody Ransom. Ransom has 183 Major League ABs in an 11-year professional career.

Teahen is set to make $3.575MM in 2009, and the Royals' current projected payroll of $75MM is slightly higher than the $70MM they had originally budgeted for.

One Royals official stated that they were hoping the Yankees would sign Mark Grudzielanek, which would give Kansas City a sandwich pick in the 2009 draft. Doing this would require moving Robinson Cano to third base, however.

RippedmyFlesh
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Yankees Interested in Teahen?
By Steve Adams [March 8 at 1:16pm CST]
Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star is reporting that the Yankees may have interest in acquiring Royals' utility man Mark Teahen, in light of Alex Rodriguez's recent decision to undergo surgery.

Royals officials are writing it off as speculation, but with A-Rod expected to miss two months, the Yanks have been on the lookout for a temporary fix. Their current in-house candidate for a replacement is 33-year-old journeyman Cody Ransom. Ransom has 183 Major League ABs in an 11-year professional career.

Teahen is set to make $3.575MM in 2009, and the Royals' current projected payroll of $75MM is slightly higher than the $70MM they had originally budgeted for.

One Royals official stated that they were hoping the Yankees would sign Mark Grudzielanek, which would give Kansas City a sandwich pick in the 2009 draft. Doing this would require moving Robinson Cano to third base, however.

No way on earth cano gets moved to 3rd.He'd go to left field before 3rd base.
Grudzielanek can't play 3rd for a month?

Demonpenz
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
jeez i wish the royals would sign grudz for one more go around

MIAdragon
03-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Grudzielanek can't play 3rd for a month?

Why? IIRC thats where he played in the minors before moving to 2nd. There have been rumblings the your FO think thats where he's going to end up anyway.

Thig Lyfe
03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Teahen for Teixixixiieria, straight up.

RippedmyFlesh
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Why? IIRC thats where he played in the minors before moving to 2nd. There have been rumblings the your FO think thats where he's going to end up anyway.
If cano leaves the yankees when his contract is up I could see him playing 3rd but they yankees already have a couple of $$ tied up to 3rd for the next 10 years or so.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Get something in return.

Teahen is the odd man out, right now, and he's not going to be able to play 2B.

MIAdragon
03-08-2009, 01:06 PM
If cano leaves the yankees when his contract is up I could see him playing 3rd but they yankees already have a couple of $$ tied up to 3rd for the next 10 years or so.

Yea I dont see Alex playing out his contract in NY.

Wilson8
03-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Could be but they also have a large stock-pile of outfielders right now and they are trying to trade some of them. Melky Cabrera, Johnny Damon, Nick Swisher, and Xavier Nady are all there.

Gruz being signed or a Teahen trade would be good for the Royals. When I look at the Royals roster, I'd like to see Teahen traded.

Mr. Krab
03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Get something in return.

Teahen is the odd man out, right now, and he's not going to be able to play 2B.
I wasn't aware that decision had already been made?

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I wasn't aware that decision had already been made?

My opinion.

It's unrealistic to expect him to make a transition to a middle infield spot. He's just not that type of athlete, and the reports from spring training about his "progress" seem to support my assertion. It doesn't help matters that he's currently playing 3B in the WBC.

RippedmyFlesh
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Yea I dont see Alex playing out his contract in NY.
i agree I figure about 5 years tops.But no one else is going to want anything to do with that contract so the yankees will be paying him to dh for 5 years.

JASONSAUTO
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
My opinion.

It's unrealistic to expect him to make a transition to a middle infield spot. He's just not that type of athlete, and the reports from spring training about his "progress" seem to support my assertion. It doesn't help matters that he's currently playing 3B in the WBC.

I THOUGHT dayton moore kind of hinted around that teahen wouldnt be playing 2nd right away in the interview the other morning, said callaspo would be our starter if i heard correctly

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 02:00 PM
I THOUGHT dayton moore kind of hinted around that teahen wouldnt be playing 2nd right away in the interview the other morning, said callaspo would be our starter if i heard correctly

Not sure which interview you're referring to exactly, but I heard Dayton about a week ago or so, and he didn't sound real confident about Teahen being able to make the switch.

Maybe we're talking about the same one...

Jenson71
03-08-2009, 02:01 PM
My main questions/hopes/concerns this year:

First, are we going to have a Royals subforum? Do people like that idea or no? We've had one in the past, and last year I think we just had game threads. I don't care so much one way or the other, I'm just throwing out the suggestion.

1. Will Bannister develop into a solid 2-3 starter? After a fine 2007 and great start last year, he dropped. Far. Ending up with a 9-16 record, and an ERA of 5.76 was frightening. His WHIP went from 1.21 (pretty good) to 1.49 (yeesh). We've seen two Bannisters now, so which one is normal?

2. With about 200 more plate appearances, will Aviles continue to build on an impressive first year, or will there be the dreaded sophmore slump? After more than 400 at bats, he had a .325 average, but his strikeout total was almost 3 times that of his walks.

3. Will Butler and Guillen hit over 30 HRs? Will Guillen even be with us for the entire year?

4. Will Grienke be an All-Star this year with Soria?

5. How is our situation at 2nd going to turn out? Looks shaky with Callapso and Bloomquist and maybe Teahen.

6. Is Gordon going to develop into a reliable hitter?

JASONSAUTO
03-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Not sure which interview you're referring to exactly, but I heard Dayton about a week ago or so, and he didn't sound real confident about Teahen being able to make the switch.

Maybe we're talking about the same one...

this was aired wednesday or thursday morn about 7:45AM on 610. actually referenced callaspo in the interview

doomy3
03-08-2009, 02:04 PM
My main questions/hopes/concerns this year:

First, are we going to have a Royals subforum? Do people like that idea or no? We've had one in the past, and last year I think we just had game threads. I don't care so much one way or the other, I'm just throwing out the suggestion.

1. Will Bannister develop into a solid 2-3 starter? After a fine 2007 and great start last year, he dropped. Far. Ending up with a 9-16 record, and an ERA of 5.76 was frightening. His WHIP went from 1.21 (pretty good) to 1.49 (yeesh). We've seen two Bannisters now, so which one is normal?

2. With about 200 more plate appearances, will Aviles continue to build on an impressive first year, or will there be the dreaded sophmore slump? After more than 400 at bats, he had a .325 average, but his strikeout total was almost 3 times that of his walks.

3. Will Butler and Guillen hit over 30 HRs? Will Guillen even be with us for the entire year?

4. Will Grienke be an All-Star this year with Soria?

5. How is our situation at 2nd going to turn out? Looks shaky with Callapso and Bloomquist and maybe Teahen.

6. Is Gordon going to develop into a reliable hitter?

I think it would be great to have a Royals subforum.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 02:37 PM
this was aired wednesday or thursday morn about 7:45AM on 610. actually referenced callaspo in the interview

Nope.

Different interview. I can't listen to 610.

Dayton was on with Petro about a week ago, and this is the interview I was thinking of.

MIAdragon
03-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Or an MLB forum

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Or an MLB forum

I dont think it would really work, traffic wouldnt be that good in either.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I dont think it would really work, traffic wouldnt be that good in either.

That's what I think.

Hell, on a Chiefs board the activity in the draft forum isn't what I'd consider particularly high.

Bowser
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Just because it can't be said enough -

Fuck the Yankees.

mlyonsd
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM

**** the Yankees.

Absow'fing lootly.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM

**** the Yankees.

If they give us something good for Teahen I wont be too pissed. Maybe somebody like Alfread Aceves or somebody like that.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
jeez i wish the royals would sign grudz for one more go around

Would be better than Teahen for sure.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2009, 04:12 PM

We already had one a long time ago, no one really used it

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:16 PM

I think I'd be happy if Bannister became a solid 3 spot starter behind Grienke and Meche. The guy makes me wince every time he takes the mound.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I think I'd be happy if Bannister became a solid 3 spot starter behind Grienke and Meche. The guy makes me wince every time he takes the mound.

He or Davies.

Both have had decent springs thus far. Davies has thrown more innings than any other pitcher, and his ERA is 1.04. Bannister is at 3.60.

Too bad no one is talking about our #1 overall pick from a couple years ago. Good thing we didn't go with that scrub who is with SF right now.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Ideally we need Banny to be a 4 or 5. Hocheaver needs to set up and be a legit 2 with Meche in the 3 hole.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:28 PM
He or Davies.

Both have had decent springs thus far. Davies has thrown more innings than any other pitcher, and his ERA is 1.04. Bannister is a little over 3.

Too bad no one is talking about our #1 overall pick from a couple years ago. Good thing we didn't go with that scrub who is with SF right now.

If Bannister and Davies can put together a consistant season we could have a real good rotation. If Hochevar pitches a bit more like he's ready for the majors we could be set.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Ideally we need Banny to be a 4 or 5. Hocheaver needs to set up and be a legit 2 with Meche in the 3 hole.

I don't think Hochevar has that type of potential. To me, he's a 3 at best, more likely a 4-5.

Not necessarily a bad thing if he can be consistent and eat innings. Just not what you want based on his draft slot.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM

I didn't think Hochevar looked ready to be in the majors much of the time last season. I hope he's gotten better.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
If Bannister and Davies can put together a consistant season we could have a real good rotation. If Hochevar pitches a bit more like he's ready for the majors we could be set.

The best thing is that we're talking about young guys with legit upside. Granted, we're not talking about anyone who might be an ace, but definitely all of these guys should be competent ML starters.

Which is a big change from about 5 years ago or so.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:32 PM
The best thing is that we're talking about young guys with legit upside. Granted, we're not talking about anyone who might be an ace, but definitely all of these guys should be competent ML starters.

Which is a big change from about 5 years ago or so.

Truth.

GO OYYYYY!!!!!!

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Truth.

GO OYYYYY!!!!!!

I have to ask: are you the poster formerly known as wutamess?

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I have to ask: are you the poster formerly known as wutamess?

beer me

Sam Hall
I don't know what the Yankees have for pitching prospects, but I don't like Horacio Ramirez as the Royals No. 4 starter. Teahen is nice to have around because he can play several positions.

ChiefsCountry
Granted, we're not talking about anyone who might be an ace.

Well he actually got one of those now and a legit All-Star closer.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Also is Cortes going to pitch in Omaha or back in Springdale?

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:39 PM
beer me

That's right. My bad.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't know what the Yankees have for pitching prospects, but I don't like Horacio Ramirez as the Royals No. 4 starter. Teahen is nice to have around because he can play several positions.

Is Ramirez expected to start? I was under the impression is was Grienke, Meche, Bannister, Davies, Hochevar... I could be wrong.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Well he actually got one of those now and a legit All-Star closer.

Greinke?

Fuck, yeah. All the potential in the world.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Is Ramirez expected to start? I was under the impression is was Grienke, Meche, Bannister, Davies, Hochevar... I could be wrong.

That's the word on the street.

With Bannister and Hochevar competing for the #5 spot.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:47 PM
That's the word on the street.

With Bannister and Hochevar competing for the #5 spot.

hmmmmm...... not really exciting.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
hmmmmm...... not really exciting.

Nope.

But I do agree that this team needs a left-handed starter. No need to force the issue, however, if you have better right-handed options, which I think is the case here.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Nope.

But I do agree that this team needs a left-handed starter. No need to force the issue, however, if you have better right-handed options, which I think is the case here.

truthx3

KChiefs1
03-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Here's the best one:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=281&f=2054

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Nope.

But I do agree that this team needs a left-handed starter.

Mike Montgomery :thumb:

tk13
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not giving up on Bannister quite yet, because his strikeouts went up last year. That was really overlooked, now the rest of his game has to catch up. Hochevar absolutely has the stuff to be a top line starter, I think.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Mike Montgomery :thumb:

I sure hope so.

We've had several very promising drafts, and if we can start hitting on some of these high-priced selections, we could start to put together a sick team.

Sam Hall
Greg Schaum from 610 suggested trading Shealy to Seattle for Ryan Rowland-Smith. Shealy seems to be the odd man out at first base.

MIAdragon
I don't think Hochevar has that type of potential. To me, he's a 3 at best, more likely a 4-5.

Not necessarily a bad thing if he can be consistent and eat innings. Just not what you want based on his draft slot.

Sucks to draft a guy #1 over all and have that low a ceiling. Would be nice to have Evan Longoria wouldn’t it.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Sucks to draft a guy #1 over all and have that low a ceiling. Would be nice to have Evan Longoria wouldn’t it.

Yep.

But, hindsight, you know...

Still, I would have felt much better about the whole selection if Dayton was fully on board at the time. That whole process around the draft, since Baird had been fired and Moore was still in ATL, was weird.

I just haven't seen or heard many analysts project Hochevar as more than a #3. It would kick ass if these people, including myself, were wrong.

KChiefs1
03-08-2009, 05:07 PM

or Tim Lincecum

Sam Hall
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM
The Royals would have playoff aspirations this season had they drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Hochevar.

KChiefs1
03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
The Royals would have playoff aspirations this season had they drafted Tim Lincecum instead of Hochevar.

I always questioned the Hochevar over Lincecum pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2453860

jbwm89
03-08-2009, 05:23 PM
there are a lot of people that were drafted behind hoch that are better than him right now....Im not saying we made the right pick but you cant go back and pick out every player drafted later who is better. Also remember we valued him high bc he was closer to being ready than some other pitchers.

buck and teahan both gone would make me happy. O dog would have made me happier

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 05:33 PM
When people wonder why the Royals are the Royals, you can point them to two decisions:

Gordon over Braun and Zimmerman.
Hochevar over Tim Lincecum, Brandon Morrow, Kershaw, and Max Scherzer

Sam Hall
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Surplus of catchers drawing interest from other clubs

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

One topic drawing increasing interest among opposing scouts tracking the Royals is the club’s apparent surplus of catchers.

“A lot of teams need catchers,” one scout said, “and they’ve got three guys who can help a big-league club. You know they’re probably only going to keep two. So you know somebody is going to be available.”

The breakdown:

• Miguel Olivo received a promise that he will open the regular season as the club’s starting catcher. He also has a guaranteed contract for $2.7 million that includes performance bonuses.

• John Buck has a non-guaranteed contract for $2.9 million, which provides the club with some financial flexibility — if they’re willing to cut him. Players get roughly one-sixth of their pay as separation pay if cut by March 18 or roughly one-fourth if cut by April 1.

• Brayan Peńa is making little more than the major-league minimum of $400,000, but he is out of options and has already been out-righted once to the minors. That means he can choose to become a free agent even in the unlikely event that he clears waivers.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/1072856.html

Sam Hall
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Brayan Pena seems to be the most likely catcher to be traded.

tk13
03-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Dayton would've picked Hochevar, he in fact said as much, he was #1 on Atlanta's board.

And I believe that, Hoch is much more of the type of guy he looks at, power arm, but somebody who has command of more than one or two pitches. Guys like Miller and Lincecum were flame throwers who had questions about their delivery and hadn't developed their off speed stuff as well. The Braves will take someone who throws mid-90's with multiple pitches and good mechanics over someone who throws 98 mph gas.

Now these other guys have developed some other stuff coming up through the system, but coming out Hochevar was the only one with a good breaking pitch and changeup.

But this stuff is always hindsight, you can't treat baseball evaluations like the football draft. Everyone thought Miller was going to be better than both of the other two, for sure. And he still might be, but it hasn't been the slam dunk people thought. Lincecum has essentially had one great season, where he threw a ton of innings. We'll see how he holds up.

tk13
03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
When people wonder why the Royals are the Royals, you can point them to two decisions:

Gordon over Braun and Zimmerman.
Hochevar over Tim Lincecum, Brandon Morrow, Kershaw, and Max Scherzer
Yeah, but there's no telling if you flip flop some of these guys around in different systems, they might not have developed the same way.

I think the Hochevar one was much more up in the air. If we hadn't picked Gordon, Glass would've been DESTROYED. No question. Gordon was the consenus #2 player at that time, advanced college bat.

MIAdragon
03-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Brayan Pena seems to be the most likely catcher to be traded.

his stats aren't earth shattering, is the guy any good?

Sam Hall
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
his stats aren't earth shattering, is the guy any good?

He won't make the opening day roster because his defensive skills leave a lot to be desired. He's interesting because he has a good bat. Scouts don't think he has No. 1 potential. They might get a low-level prospect for him.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Dayton would've picked Hochevar, he in fact said as much, he was #1 on Atlanta's board.

I remember hearing this interview.

What's he supposed to say after the draft, though? We just took someone at #1 that I didn't want? Endorsing Hochevar was an obligatory gesture.

Doing anything else makes no sense, so I chalk this up to GM speak.

With that said, it seems very, very unlikely that Dayton wasn't more involved in the process than what was reported. How couldn't he be? He'd already accepted the job, and he knew the importance of the selections...

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but there's no telling if you flip flop some of these guys around in different systems, they might not have developed the same way.

I think the Hochevar one was much more up in the air. If we hadn't picked Gordon, Glass would've been DESTROYED. No question. Gordon was the consenus #2 player at that time, advanced college bat.

Agreed.

Gordon was a no brainer. And I'm still going to be shocked if he remains an average ML player.

JASONSAUTO
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Agreed.

Gordon was a no brainer. And I'm still going to be shocked if he remains an average ML player.

ME TOO heres hoping this is his breakout year

T-post Tom
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Can the Yanks afford Teahen's salary? ;)

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Hochevar is not a power arm. He was never anything more than a guy who could throw 92-3 as a starter. Brandon Morrow and Andrew Miller were far superior prospects with a lot more upside.

If teams wanted to pass on Lincecum due to his size and delivery, that's a reasonable decision that high, but if you looked at those guys and saw which one would profile as a future #1, it's not Hochevar, and it never really was.

ChiefsCountry
03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Hochevar is not a power arm. He was never anything more than a guy who could throw 92-3 as a starter. Brandon Morrow and Andrew Miller were far superior prospects with a lot more upside.

If teams wanted to pass on Lincecum due to his size and delivery, that's a reasonable decision that high, but if you looked at those guys and saw which one would profile as a future #1, it's not Hochevar, and it never really was.

And the guys who made that pick arent around anymore.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 07:53 PM
And the guys who made that pick arent around anymore.

I'm not saying that they are, I'm arguing the logic of taking Hochevar as a prospect, given that if you looked at his physical tools, he profiled as a really good 3 or a solid 2. He doesn't have the stuff to dominate, and never did.

Chiefless
03-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Meche
Greinke
Davies
Hochevar
Bannister/Rameriz

It's got decent potential IMO. KC should finish around .500 this year. If Gordon and Butler break loose and everyone else remains steady this team COULD push for a PO spot. Lotta "IFS" but if they pan out it could be a fun summer.

tk13
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah but Miller had two pitches. Nasty pitches, but he had two pitches and they were both hard. Hochevar's best pitch is a slider and he can throw a change and curve off-speed.

You're not going to agree with it but that's just how they evaluate pitchers, I think. They're going to take the guy who they think can pitch, locate, and change speeds with a repeatable delivery over the guy who can sling it. Provided he can get into the low to mid 90's with his fastball.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah but Miller had two pitches. Nasty pitches, but he had two pitches and they were both hard. Hochevar's best pitch is a slider and he can throw a change and curve off-speed.

You're not going to agree with it but that's just how they evaluate pitchers, I think. They're going to take the guy who they think can pitch, locate, and change speeds with a repeatable delivery over the guy who can sling it. Provided he can get into the low to mid 90's with his fastball.

If you look at the top of the draft every year, almost all the guys that go with high picks are power arms, and not just throwers of the ball, that's reductive.

Hochevar was the exception to that rule, and a bad exception at that.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Hochevar is a sinker baller without an out pitch. This isn't the profile of a top of the rotation guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Hochevar is a sinker baller without an out pitch. This isn't the profile of a top of the rotation guy.

Exactly. He's Dave Duncan's dream--a pitch to contact guy.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Exactly. He's Dave Duncan's dream--a pitch to contact guy.

Yep. He's the ideal 4-5.

Eat up a shit ton of innings and keep his team in the game. Again, that's not a bad thing. But it sucks shit at 1/1.

Andrew Miller should have been the easy selection, especially for an organization starved for talented LHP's.

tk13
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I think you guys are way out in left field on this one. The dude has good movement on his fastball, a changeup, and his slider. Plus his sinker and curve. They took away his slider in the minors so he'd work on his other pitches and not always use it as his out pitch. He has all the tools to be a very, very good pitcher. Of course there are a lot of guys like that who don't make it, but he's got stuff.

But to compare him to a Jeff Suppan 4-5 starter, that's crazy.

Sure-Oz
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I remember hearing his ceiling would be a Kevin Brown type starter. I sure as hell hope he reaches close.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I think you guys are way out in left field on this one. The dude has good movement on his fastball, a changeup, and his slider. Plus his sinker and curve. They took away his slider in the minors so he'd work on his other pitches and not always use it as his out pitch. He has all the tools to be a very, very good pitcher. Of course there are a lot of guys like that who don't make it, but he's got stuff.

I didn't say he was Jeff Suppan, I said if you looked at the guy's tools, he profiles at best as a 2/3 starter.

He's always been a guy who was going to strike out 6 per 9 on the major league level. He doesn't have David Price's slider. Hell, he doesn't even have Todd Wellemeyer's slider. He never did.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Suppan wasn't exactly a turd, so it's not like I'm saying Hochevar is junk to claim that he'll be a solid 3-5.

But I see him as a 3, max. If he develops into Kevin Brown, I'll be thrilled and eat crow.

Worth noting, however, that Brown, pre and post injury, wasn't the same guy.

StcChief
03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Suppan wasn't exactly a turd, so it's not like I'm saying Hochevar is junk to claim that he'll be a solid 3-5.

But I see him as a 3, max. If he develops into Kevin Brown, I'll be thrilled and eat crow.

Worth noting, however, that Brown, pre and post injury, wasn't the same guy.yep. as AAA Royals continue to provide players to rest of MLB.

DeezNutz
03-08-2009, 10:03 PM
yep. as AAA Royals continue to provide players to rest of MLB.

I think (hope) those days are over.

Reaper16
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Its 2009. 2005 wants its smack talk back.

Mecca
03-09-2009, 01:16 AM
Yep. He's the ideal 4-5.

Eat up a shit ton of innings and keep his team in the game. Again, that's not a bad thing. But it sucks shit at 1/1.

Andrew Miller should have been the easy selection, especially for an organization starved for talented LHP's.

Don't you mean Tim Lincecum?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Miller was a better prospect than Lincecum.

ChiTown
03-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Please, bump the needle on the record...........

thurman merman
03-10-2009, 11:39 AM

:clap:

DeezNutz
03-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Yeah, in hindsight.

But leading into the draft, Miller was considered the top guy by almost all accounts. And I'd still trade Hochevar for him in a second.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM

rep