PDA

View Full Version : Royals Seitzer working with Gordon

Mr. Krab
03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Posted on Sat, Mar. 07, 2009 10:15 PM

<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --> <script type="text/javascript">var addthis_pub="kcstar"; var addthis_options="delicious, digg, buzz, google, reddit, newsvine, aim, facebook, myspace, fark, more"; var addthis_offset_left = -48;</script>

Seitzer sees progress in getting Gordon to reach potential
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

<script language="Javascript"> function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } </script> <!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp --> http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/03/07/21/307-8royals_030809.IMG_03-08-2009_C018A3P7.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/03/07/21/604-8royals_030809.IMG_03-08-2009_C018A3P7.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
Hitting coach Kevin Seitzer says Alex Gordon (above) needs to loosen up at bat.
<script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function() { replaceRelated(159);});</script>
<table> </table> GOODYEAR, Ariz. | Sixty percent.That’s what Royals hitting coach Kevin Seitzer sees right now from third baseman Alex Gordon. In most schools, that’s a failing grade. Not in Seitzer’s School of Sock. Not at this point.

“He’s doing OK,” Seitzer said. “The last several days have been phenomenal, though, just from the standpoint that he’s really sold out to (the season opener on) April 6 rather than now.

“It took awhile to get there.”

Seitzer is pushing for a more relaxed Gordon, especially from the waist up, seeing that as the key to unlocking the potential of a player viewed from the moment of his selection as the second pick in the 2005 draft as a franchise cornerstone.

“He cares so much; he tries so hard; he works so hard; he wants it so bad; he wants to do well,” Seitzer said, rapping out words like a boxer working a speed bag.

“He competes to the nth degree on every pitch. That’s extremely commendable until it ties you up because of all of those things. Then it’s a bad thing.”

The key then, for Gordon, is to relax?

Seitzer nods and takes off on another staccato burst of words.

“What we want to do is get him looser,” he said, “and get him smoother; and get him a little more quiet; and more controlled; and to stay consistent with his approach and his plan at the plate.

“And he’s getting there. It’s a work in progress. He’ll tell you the exact same thing. But I could not be more thrilled than how he’s come along the last few days.”

Gordon is a willing pupil.

“There are a lot of little things he has me doing,” Gordon said, “to make sure I’m ready on time. Just different things with my approach. I don’t want to go into details. I can already see an effect.

“If I’m not swinging well, he knows what to say to get me back on track. He’s been great.”

The Royals are hesitant to say so publicly, but unlocking Gordon is Job One on Seitzer’s to-do list. Gordon, 25, showed notable improvement last season in several offensive categories over his rookie year in 2006.

But he has yet to have the sort of impact that, say, third baseman Evan Longoria, the third pick in the 2006 draft, made last season in Tampa Bay.

This bothers no one more than Gordon, although he bristles at the suggestion — offered by manager Trey Hillman and others — that he is overburdened by expectations. That question prompts a flat, simple “No” in response.
Gordon elaborates only when asked if he believes Hillman is simply wrong in his assessment.

“Maybe he just thinks I work too hard or that I care too much,” Gordon said. “Maybe that’s what it is. I do care about this team. When we lose, I take it pretty rough.

“But the only focus for me is to go out and play hard every day. Just have a good game and come out with the victory.”
Seitzer blends the two viewpoints and does so by citing his own experience from a 12-year career that included a .295 batting average and a .375 on-base percentage.

“I see a lot of myself in him mentally,” Seitzer said. “Definitely not physically — his tools are off the chart compared to me — but I was wired the same way. I tried too hard. I wanted it too bad. I tried to do too much. I wouldn’t stay within myself. And when that happened, I sucked.
“He might come across as holding it in, but his body language is screaming at how upset he is.”

Seitzer’s solution: Loosen up.

“Alex is way too tight,” he said. “Tension in the upper body is cancer. That’s what I tell these guys. The only tension you want in your body is in your core and your bottom half to stay on balance. You want strength in your legs.

“But for him to be able to keep his bat head in the zone longer, to stay closed with his front shoulder, to let his hands work, he’s got to release that tension. He’s got to just hold the bat, not squeeze it.

“We’re working on it, and he’s making tremendous strides. The cool thing is as he gets better, he’s had more results. And when you see results, then you want to do it even better.”
How much better can Gordon get?

“Potential is a huge word,” Seitzer said. “As far as ability and talent, he’s off the charts for me. Talent-wise, he’s off the charts. He has potential to be great. He’s got some adjustments to make, and he wants to make them. He’s sold out. He’s committed.

“I have been ultra-, ultra-impressed with his work ethic and his attitude. I just can’t say enough great things about the kid. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get that 60 percent up closer to 90 or 100 percent by opening day and he’ll be able to do some great things this year.”

SNR
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
We'll see if this actually works or if it's a "Marc Boerigter just couldn't see the football when the sun was in his eyes. This offseason surgery he had will turn him into an all-pro!"

58kcfan89
03-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I really hope it works. Gordon's one of my favorite Royals and they need him to really improve at the plate if they want to hit a .500 record or above (IMO).

Jenson71
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Plllleeease Dear Jesus work out.

I really hope it works. Gordon's one of my favorite Royals and they need him to really improve at the plate if they want to hit .500 or above (IMO).

Wow! And I thought my expectations were high!

;)

58kcfan89
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Plllleeease Dear Jesus work out.

Wow! And I thought my expectations were high!

;)

...crap...:banghead:

alanm
03-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Seitzer is right about Gordon though. It's all a mental game at the moment. That's why about 90% of players are loony to begin with.

googlegoogle
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM
just hit the damn ball. HR's will be there.

Deberg_1990
03-08-2009, 03:56 PM
heh, Seitzer. Mr. Singles hitter himself trying to get Gordon to have more pop.

WilliamTheIrish
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I remember when Bo Jackson put "Seitz" in a choke hold. Those were the days. Seitzer was a drunken maniac.

He found God shortly after that.

Dave Lane
03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I remember when Bo Jackson put "Seitz" in a choke hold. Those were the days. Seitzer was a drunken maniac.

Its the next step...

WilliamTheIrish
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Its the next step...

Do you remember that incident Dave? I can't remember the specific reporter.. Maybe Karen Kornacki. She was interviewing somebody and Seitzer just went nuts on her for something. Calling her all manner of names.

Bo went up and told Seitzer to shut his pie hole and when he didn't, Bo mauled him.

Coach
03-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Do you remember that incident Dave? I can't remember the specific reporter.. Maybe Karen Kornacki. She was interviewing somebody and Seitzer just went nuts on her for something. Calling her all manner of names.

Bo went up and told Seitzer to shut his pie hole and when he didn't, Bo mauled him.

Heh, I wouldn't know anything about that, but I do know that Seitzer was a solid all around ball player. Had a near average BA with a strong career OBP of .375. I just think the Royals released him too early during his prime years.

Hopefully Gordon can be the exact copy as Seitzer, with more power.

Demonpenz
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
gordon was supposed to be a 40 homerun type of guy. Not punch and judy sietzer

Coach
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
gordon was supposed to be a 40 homerun type of guy. Not punch and judy sietzer

He ain't gonna jack 40 homeruns, unless he's been hanging around with A-Rod or Barry Bonds.

Ari Chi3fs
03-09-2009, 01:44 PM
One of my buddies and I got ratted on by Kevin Seitzer when we were standing in the tunnels waiting for the players to walk by, and get their autographs...

Bo signed.
Tartaball signed
Gary Thurman signed
Floyd bannister signed
Frank White signed.

and Seitzer turned us into security... and wow, did he have a hot wife... I think I may have made a comment about how unbelievably good looking she was... wearing a leather skirt and high heels... he must of heard and turned us in. Fucker.

Rooster
03-09-2009, 01:44 PM

Wow, was God lost. :evil: