PDA

View Full Version : 08 vs. 09 Oline prospects

RustShack
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Which draft class was better?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-10-2009, 10:43 AM
'09.

The tackles have far more upside as a whole, and the center class is one of the best of all time, but the guard class is merely decent, although no worse than '08.

Chiefnj2
03-10-2009, 10:47 AM
2008 will be tough to match.

4 very good LTs - Albert, Long, Clady and Baker was looking very good until he got hurt.
Better suited for RT: Cherilus and Otah.
Poor: Duane Brown. He was a reach and needs lots more development. Has potential to be okay.
Unknown - Williams.

4 starters at LOT, 2 at RT only one really poor performer and an unknown. That's an excellent showing of talent.

Dicky McElephant
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
2008 will be tough to match.

4 very good LTs - Albert, Long, Clady and Baker was looking very good until he got hurt.
Better suited for RT: Cherilus and Otah.
Poor: Duane Brown. He was a reach and needs lots more development. Has potential to be okay.
Unknown - Williams.

4 starters at LOT, 2 at RT only one really poor performer and an unknown. That's an excellent showing of talent.

Yeah but you also have to take into consideration that the Center class this year is really, really good.

OT - Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Ebon Britton, William Beatty

C - Alex Mack, Max Unger, Jonathan Luigs, Eric Wood, Antoine Caldwell

OnTheWarpath58
03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Yeah but you also have to take into consideration that the Center class this year is really, really good.

OT - Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Ebon Britton, William Beatty

Yep.

Plus the verstility of several of the guys this year make them more valuable, IMO.

2009 is a much better class, IMO

Chiefnj2
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM

I was just focusing on the tackle position. This years draft is unreal for centers.

Shaid
03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I was just focusing on the tackle position. This years draft is unreal for centers.

Good, we need one.

Mecca
03-11-2009, 03:03 AM
I'd say this years OT class is better for pure class rankings. When Michael Oher is the 4th OT that's a damn good class.

Last years class had good depth to it but this years has more top end guys. Jake Long wouldn't go first if he was in this OT class. This years class is loaded with top end athletic guys who can do it all.

Chiefnj2
03-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd say this years OT class is better for pure class rankings. When Michael Oher is the 4th OT that's a damn good class.

Last years class had good depth to it but this years has more top end guys. Jake Long wouldn't go first if he was in this OT class. This years class is loaded with top end athletic guys who can do it all.

I think Clady helped Smith's stock this year. On pure talent A. Smith and Oher are more gifted than some of the OT's last year, but from a, well for lack of a better word, mental standpoint they probably drop and pose bigger risks than some of the guys in the 2008 class.

BigChiefFan
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I think Clady helped Smith's stock this year. On pure talent A. Smith and Oher are more gifted than some of the OT's last year, but from a, well for lack of a better word, mental standpoint they probably drop and pose bigger risks than some of the guys in the 2008 class.Agreed, on all counts. Smith already has major red flags, I can't see a team giving top 10 money with the risk of him flaking out and costing them millions.

htismaqe
03-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Agreed, on all counts. Smith already has major red flags, I can't see a team giving top 10 money with the risk of him flaking out and costing them millions.

Teams in the NFL are, for the most part, stupid.

SOMEBODY will be enamored enough with his physical skills to overlook the personality flaws.

And their fans will be cursing them for it 10 years from now.

BigChiefFan
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Teams in the NFL are, for the most part, stupid.

SOMEBODY will be enamored enough with his physical skills to overlook the personality flaws.

And their fans will be cursing them for it 10 years from now.He's definitely got skills, but I sure wouldn't draft him in the top 10.

htismaqe
03-11-2009, 12:04 PM
He's definitely got skills, but I sure wouldn't draft him in the top 10.

I wouldn't either.

But somebody will.

milkman
03-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't either.

But somebody will.

If he has a good workout in his pro day, his stock will rise again.

That kind of talent, as I believe you said earlier, tends to make some teams forget about character issues.

B_Ambuehl
03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
This year by a long shot. There wasn't a center rated in the top 2 rounds last year and this year there could be 3. This years tackle class is the best I can remember ever eeing. Not only are there a multitude of 1st round guys but the 2nd-4th round guys have a lot of upside too. As many as 13 are currently projected to go in the top 3 rounds. The guard class is really strong in the late early to mid rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 big boys, Duke and Herman, end up falling, but there are several projected 3rd-4th round guards that have a ton of upside. It's a good year for teams needing lineman.