PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith "bombs" his Pro Day

bdeg
03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith didn’t perform well at his Pro Day workout today in front of the entire league after creating a stir by leaving the NFL scouting combine early last month. One league source told us: “He bombed.”

According to NFL.com, Smith was not “overly impressive.” His top 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he bench pressed 225 pounds just 19 times.

According to our league source, Smith ran with no shirt on and was visibly overweight. With a group of trainers urging him on to run faster, Smith had a generally rough day.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/andre-smith-struggles-at-alabama-pro-day/

keg in kc
03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
He must be allergic to money.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Bust written all over him. If this is his reaction to being regarded highly, imagine how much he will slack off when he gets his first check.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
He just slipped into the 2nd round. Maybe worse. Remember Alan Branch?

talastan
03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Well the question I'd have would be if he fell as deep as third round would you take a chance on him, or does his work ethic make him not even worth it? Just wondering....

Mr. Krab
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Well the question I'd have would be if he fell as deep as third round would you take a chance on him, or does his work ethic make him not even worth it? Just wondering....I would think you would have to question taking him in the draft at all. I mean crappy worth ethic will kill any talent in the NFL. I'm sure somebody will take the risk but i wouldn't be surprised to see him fall into round 3.

ChiefsCountry
03-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Well the question I'd have would be if he fell as deep as third round would you take a chance on him, or does his work ethic make him not even worth it? Just wondering....

I would.

Zouk
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd still be shocked if he doesn't go Round 1.

Amnorix
03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Let me tell you this -- work ethic and love of football is a #1 priority in the BB/SP "how to draft" manual.

Guys get ripped right off the draft board if they're perceived as being disinterested or lazy or whatever.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's completely off the Pats/Chiefs draft board if he seems disinterested in the whole process.

kstater
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Where's that troll that came back 2 years in a row under 2 names that had a hard on for the guy? I think he even left me a visitor message.

Hermcock and Orange Cameltoe were the names.

Rain Man
03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Let me tell you this -- work ethic and love of football is a #1 priority in the BB/SP "how to draft" manual.

Guys get ripped right off the draft board if they're perceived as being disinterested or lazy or whatever.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's completely off the Pats/Chiefs draft board if he seems disinterested in the whole process.

And this is exactly how it should be, in my opinion.

kstater
03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Where's that troll that came back 2 years in a row under 2 names that had a hard on for the guy? I think he even left me a visitor message.

Hermcock and Orange Cameltoe were the names.

This was a fun thread.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4446781#post4446781

DeezNutz
03-11-2009, 02:18 PM
If he's self destructing like this, it wouldn't surprise me if some bigger issues come to the surface.

Very strange turn of events for this kid...

bdeg
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
And let's not forget about Alabama suspending him for their bowl game.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

B_Ambuehl
03-11-2009, 03:07 PM
This might be true, but it also has the smell of a team exaggerating or throwing out bullshit in hopes that he falls even further. A 5.21 fourty would not typically be considered "bombing out" for an offensive tackle of his stature. Maybe if had had run a 5.5 +.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 03:17 PM
This might be true, but it also has the smell of a team exaggerating or throwing out bullshit in hopes that he falls even further. A 5.21 fourty would not typically be considered "bombing out" for an offensive tackle of his stature. Maybe if had had run a 5.5 +.

You're looking at 1/3 of the equation. He showed up fat. And a strength guy who will end up at RT only benched 19 reps. Very disappointing.

Chiefnj2
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
His 40 times numbers aren't bad at all. A 5.28 forty for a 332 lb player is respectable. Monroe and Oher ran a 5.23 at the combine and are about 15 lbs lighter.

19 reps is kind of low, but Oher had 21.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Oher is also quick enough to play LT. Strength was supposed to be Smith's strong suit.

talastan
03-11-2009, 03:30 PM
How winded and stressed did he look during this workout. If he used everything he had posting these numbers than you have to wonder about his ability to play 4 quarters worth of football.

B_Ambuehl
03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Well Michael Oher only did 21 reps. Monroe only did 23. Oher ran slower than Andre Smith despite being nearly 25 pounds lighter yet there was no such talk of him bombing out this bad. Guess we'll see come draft day how legit it really is.

Chiefnj2
03-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Oher is also quick enough to play LT. Strength was supposed to be Smith's strong suit.

Since when is the bench press a good indicator of how well an NFL tackle will be able to play the run?

He's a big kid. He was rumored to be closer to 350 when playing his senior year. Even with all that weight, he played every game and only gave up one sack in the SEC.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Well Michael Oher only did 21 reps. Monroe only did 23. Oher ran slower than Andre Smith despite being nearly 25 pounds lighter yet there was no such talk of him bombing out this bad. Guess we'll see come draft day how legit it really is.
The 40 is not important for OL. Yes, his bench was comparable to 2 guys playing 30-40lbs lighter and who are not known for their run-blocking. He looked flabby and out of shape.
Since when is the bench press a good indicator of how well an NFL tackle will be able to play the run?

He's a big kid. He was rumored to be closer to 350 when playing his senior year. Even with all that weight, he played every game and only gave up one sack in the SEC.
When a guy that big puts up that few reps it raises major questions about his strength/fatness. And when he's described as having flabby rolls, that means he's been lazy.

Ralphy Boy
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Bust written all over him. If this is his reaction to being regarded highly, imagine how much he will slack off when he gets his first check.

Yep. Hope the Raiders take him.

unothadeal
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
FWIW the picture on nfl.com has a Chiefs scout talking to Smith.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
FWIW the picture on nfl.com has a Chiefs scout talking to Smith.

I believe it's a smokescreen

Hog Farmer
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Yep. Hope the Raiders take him.

Mayock was just on Nfl network. When asked who he thought the raiders would take, he said the top two tackles will be gone , Crabtree had surgery and Maclin is too slow for Al Davis and he said Smith would be their choice. I don't even think Davis is that stupid but I hope so.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Here's the thing:

He has longer arms than any other tackle measured at the combine, save for Loadholt. That alone will hurt your bench numbers.

However, if people are talking about him bombing workouts, they are talking about his position drills and not his 40 (meh) or bench (still pretty disappointing).

Without having seen it, we have no idea what he did in those drills, but it sounds terrible, and if he's getting winded in those, he clearly didn't put forth much, if any, effort.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Here's the thing:

He has longer arms than any other tackle measured at the combine, save for Loadholt. That alone will hurt your bench numbers.

However, if people are talking about him bombing workouts, they are talking about his position drills and not his 40 (meh) or bench (still pretty disappointing).

Without having seen it, we have no idea what he did in those drills, but it sounds terrible, and if he's getting winded in those, he clearly didn't put forth much, if any, effort.

Andre Smith -
Well, his workout times were unspectacular. He came in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. He did the short shuttle in 4.93 seconds.

To put Smith’s workout drills in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/11/early-signs-for-alabamas-smith-not-promising/

copied from the lounge.

ChiefsCountry
03-11-2009, 07:14 PM
He brings on the game field though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
copied from the lounge.

He ran a slower short shuttle and had a worse broad jump than Colin Cowherd.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:16 PM

That might have worked in college, but if he doesn't have the work ethic to bring it on the practice field he won't make it in the NFL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
That might have worked in college, but if he doesn't have the work ethic to bring it on the practice field he won't make it in the NFL.

Here's the caveat: He was 7 pounds lighter than he was even at the combine. A lot of people said he played this year closer to 350.

It's a pretty confusing situation, and without all the information, I don't know what to say about this kid, but I would definitely worry about him against speed rushers.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't know what to make of him either. Was he playing the whole year with 50 lbs of extra fat? If hes 325 now and still flabby, I'm guessing his playing weight should be closer to 310. If he only gave up one sack at 350, is his pass protection really going to be that bad at 310? But the work ethic, motivation etc. are too much for me to take any gamble on him. He could be good, but there's a high chance that it's a waste of a pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know what to make of him either. Was he playing the whole year with 50 lbs of extra fat? If hes 325 now and still flabby, I'm guessing his playing weight should be closer to 310. If he only gave up one sack at 350, is his pass protection really going to be that bad at 310? But the work ethic, motivation etc. are too much for me to take any gamble on him. He could be good, but there's a high chance that it's a waste of a pick.

Or maybe you don't have to be a bodybuilder to be a solid tackle.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I would definitely worry about him against speed rushers.

That's true. But a guy who has trouble with speed rushers could stand to add some quickness no?

ChiefsCountry
03-11-2009, 07:30 PM

I say this.

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body”

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.
I say this.

Spicy McHaggis
03-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Yes he does. When he hasn't been suspended that is.

CoMoChief
03-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Mayock was just on Nfl network. When asked who he thought the raiders would take, he said the top two tackles will be gone , Crabtree had surgery and Maclin is too slow for Al Davis and he said Smith would be their choice. I don't even think Davis is that stupid but I hope so.

Maclin is too slow for Al Davis......what's he want Usain Bolt speed?

bdeg
03-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Anything in the 4.3's is the only thing that still gives ol' Al a hard-on.

HemiEd
03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
This was a fun thread.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=4446781#post4446781

ROFL It sure was.

PhillyChiefFan
03-12-2009, 07:43 AM
what a dumbass.

Guarenteed millions and he blows it.

Chiefnj2
03-12-2009, 08:16 AM
There's still a good chance he goes top 20.

His workout wasn't that bad and you can't ignore years of film. .05 difference between his 40 and Monroe, yet one guy does very well and the other guy poorly? Bull.

DJ's left nut
03-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh c'mon, if this guy fell to us in the 3rd round we be insane not to take him. There's no way it happens, but to say you wouldn't grab him there is a huge knee-jerk reaction.

At 3rd round money, he's not gonna be fat and happy, he's going to want to get his value up for a new contract in 3 seasons. He'll get abused by speed rushers, but most speed rushers are RDEs, as a RT, he'd be protected to some degree.

Get him on some anti-depressants and plug him in at RT, you'll be pretty happy with what you turn out, IMO.

bdeg
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
It's a moot point, he'll never make it to the third.

And, again, it's not about the 40.

ferrarispider95
03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Imagine what he is going to do when he gets a big house, big tv, and big fridge. If he couldn't get in shape for what could possibly could make him millions more, I would definitely question how he will do when he already has his guaranteed money.

OnTheWarpath58
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Imagine what he is going to do when he gets a big house, big tv, and big fridge. If he couldn't get in shape for what could possibly could make him millions more, I would definitely question how he will do when he already has his guaranteed money.

Exactly.

I'm wondering what some of you guys that are defending him are thinking.

This isn't about 40 times and his workouts.

It's about attitude and work ethic.

DJ's left nut
03-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Exactly.

If he's drafted in the first, you're right.

If he's drafted in the 2nd...eh, the thought still has some merit.

If he's drafted in the 3rd, just what kind of guaranteed money do you think the guy's going to get? He'll make a few bucks, but not much. Certainly not enough to rest on laurels.

Besides, as a guy that had a strong enough work ethic to be a starter at LT for the #1 team in the country (at one point), I'm going to say that his work ethic was at least passable. This goes beyond lazy, there's a screw loose in there somewhere. Like I said, give him whatever drugs Greinke's on and be happy with your mountain of a RT.

Chiefnj2
03-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Smith is a big fat kid. He's always been a big fat kid. He's never going to have a body builder physique. He looked good in his drills and his "measurables" aren't very different than the guys the gurus are fawning over.

A big fat, out of shape, bad attitude player like Smith with an extra 20lbs on him runs .05 seconds slower than the good attitude, serious training, top 5 draft pick? He must be frigging' Superman to come so close with all those things going against him.

DJ's left nut
03-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Smith is a big fat kid. He's always been a big fat kid. He's never going to have a body builder physique. He looked good in his drills and his "measurables" aren't very different than the guys the gurus are fawning over.

A big fat, out of shape, bad attitude player like Smith with an extra 20lbs on him runs .05 seconds slower than the good attitude, serious training, top 5 draft pick? He must be frigging' Superman to come so close with all those things going against him.

I don't remember who I was listening to that referred to cumulative red flags. His point was mostly that, a tick here, a tick there, individually is not a big deal. However, Smith got booted from his team, bailed on the combine, then turned up a disappointing pro-day.

His 40 doesn't really matter, across the board he was down. Combine that with the combine, with the suspension, with the general bizarre attitude he's displayed recently and I think its fair to begin to question him as a first day prospect. Players with greater physical skills have gone on to fail in this league because of their attitude/intellect, so you can't just ignore the possibility.

Like I said, I'd still take him in the 3rd. I'd take him anywhere past about 10 in the 2nd, for that matter. However, there are a lot of things he's done recently to make you question how he'll turn out as a pro.

Chiefnj2
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
His suspension and wigging out at the combine are definite red flags.

I just don't get the hype about him being out of shape and it costing him. Nothing has changed. He's always been fat and out of shape. When draft gurus ranked him as a top 5 pick and he was dominating the SEC he was even bigger and fatter. Why would his rank drop? It dropped, not because his skill level changed, it dropped because he didn't meet up to some imaginary expectation people had of him. He's still the same player.

B_Ambuehl
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah this is what I suspected:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/12/other-opinions-emerge-about-andre-smith-workout/

OTHER OPINIONS EMERGE ABOUT ANDRE SMITH WORKOUT
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 8:32 a.m. EDT

On Wednesday, while Aaron Wilson was minding the PFT store (among other things, he refused to sell a calzone to a hipster doofis who wanted to pay for it in pennies), we posted a couple of stories regarding the horrendous workout of Alabama tackle Andre Smith.

Smith also had a nightmarish Scouting Combine, with reportedly horrible interviews followed by an unexpected no-show for his Saturday workout.

But some contrary voices are emerging regarding Smith’s supposedly poor Pro Day showing — which included a 40-yard dash in the 5.2-second range.

And, as is usually the case this time of year, it’s virtually impossible to separate the bull’s-eye from the bullsh-t.

Said one veteran scout, “I just looked up the Combine 40 [times] for [tackles] and Smith ran equal to or faster than most. Yup, he had a poor workout. An out-of-shape fat guy ran better than most of the guy who were supposed to be in shape.”

It could be that Smith’s biggest mistake on Wednesday was to shed the modesity and run without a shirt. (CBS42 has the video. And, yes, there is considerable jiggling.)

(The image reminds us of this Taco Bill gem from yesteryear.)

“They say he was fat and the flab was all over the place,” the source said. “What the f–k did they expect? A body builder’s physique? Smith is a fat guy. He has always been a fat guy. That’s his genetics. It’s never going to change.

“When he was dominating the SEC last fall he was a 340-pound fat guy, and everybody said he was a top three [draft pick] and maybe the top guy. He is too good a player who got some poor advice and it has hurt him a little. But it hasn’t hurt him a lot.

“Here’s the fact — the a-holes making the comments are scouts who are not decision-makers, or they are people who want the kid to fall to them. Mark it down — he still goes high.”

Said another source, “While the [Smith] workout wasn’t one for the ages, it also wasn’t that bad, either. I would say if a team liked him yesterday they still like him today.”

And that’s where this pre-draft process gets incredibly screwed up. The teams that like a player will say bad things about him privately, in the hopes that he’s still on the board when they pick. The teams that don’t like the player will talk him up, so that someone in front of that team will take him, pushing farther down the board one or more of the players that the team truly covets.

So, basically, it’s hard to know what to believe, and the job of the media in all of this is to at least try to discern the potential biases and prejudices of the folks who are saying the good or bad things.

That said, the scout from whom we heard works for a team that, based on their current roster, probably would draft Smith in round one, if he’s still on the board. So it looks like we can believe him.

Unless his team actually has its eye on another tackle. and thus is hoping that some other sucker drafts Smith.

bdeg
03-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Regardless of how you view the workout, he still got himself suspended for the bowl game, disappeared at the combine, and has just plain been immature. Still more than enough red flags for me. Not to mention the very underwhelming bench.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/andresmith.JPG

B_Ambuehl
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
There are really 2 different ways of looking at this: First of all you see that he's relatively untrained, weak, doesn't appear highly motivated, and you can scratch him off your list.

On the other hand you see that he's dominated his competition despite being raw, untrained, and underdeveloped. Put a weight clause in his contract, get him on the Merriman offseason plan, dedicate an assistant strength coach to be his pet project and a couple of years later you have a monster of a player. If he's that good despite being so raw physically imagine what he'd be like with a couple of years of good solid training.

One reason a guy like Jared Allen progressed so well is he had so much room to progress physically coming into the NFL. The guy only benched 225 nine times. Compare that to guys like Brian Cushing and Adam Archuleta who worked out with private trainers ever since high school. Those types of guys aren't going to get much, if any, better physically.

Having said that, I surely wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole unless you had it worked out with his agent that he would agree to a weight clause if you did draft him.

Zouk
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Exactly.

Not really. He's a guy not built for the workout show-off process. Doesn't mean that he has a bad attitude. Plenty of guys have come into the NFL soft and laidback and maybe not the brightest and have had excellent careers - particularly linemen.

OnTheWarpath58
03-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Not really. He's a guy not built for the workout show-off process. Doesn't mean that he has a bad attitude. Plenty of guys have come into the NFL soft and laidback and maybe not the brightest and have had excellent careers - particularly linemen.

Have you paid ANY attention to what has gone on with him in the last 3 months?

Like I said, this has nothing to do with 40 times.

Being suspended from the bowl game, flaking at the combine, then this?

If you don't see work ethic/attitude issues there, all I can say is I'm glad you're not the GM of the Chiefs.

Coach
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Zouk
03-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Being suspended from the bowl game, flaking at the combine, then this?

He got suspended for talking to agents - not because he had attitude problems. The stuff at the combine again showed that he was basically stupid - not that he's necessarily a bad guy.

OnTheWarpath58
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
He got suspended for talking to agents - not because he had attitude problems. The stuff at the combine again showed that he was basically stupid - not that he's necessarily a bad guy.

Straight from the horse's mouth - it had nothing to do with an agent.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090219/NEWS/902190282/1011?Title=Smith-addresses-Sugar-Bowl-suspension

“Just a bad decision,” Smith said from a podium at Lucas Oil Stadium, the headquarters of the NFL Combine. “It had nothing to do with an agent. Just bad decisions.”

Count Zarth
03-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't think that picture is that bad.

Zouk
03-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Straight from the horse's mouth - it had nothing to do with an agent.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090219/NEWS/902190282/1011?Title=Smith-addresses-Sugar-Bowl-suspension

I don't think that's quite right. It was widely reported that it was he and/or family members having contact with agents and/or business reps. Whatever word games he wants to play - it's pretty clear it was something along those lines.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
What a grade-A fuckup.

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/andresmith.JPGOh my God.

You only have to stay in shape until you're drafted and sign the contract. THEN you balloon. How hard is it to understand?

dj56dt58
03-13-2009, 12:52 AM
aren't most offensive linemen fat? Strong too, but most offensive linemen have some flab..dont see the big deal

Ultra Peanut
03-13-2009, 04:33 AM
There's flab, and there's "half of my chest is still five yards behind me."

Mecca
03-13-2009, 04:45 AM
I don't think he's really "ballooned up" he was 340lbs as a high school senior....

He's a huge fat dude, he's always gonna be a huge fat dude. He plays a position that generally requires one to be a huge fat dude.

There are times when I get really annoyed with how lineman are looked at...unless you are this perfect weight of about 300-310, you will be considered "to light" or "out of shape"

For example a guy who committed to Alabama this year, DJ Fluker, is 6'7 350lbs right now before ever stepping on campus, when his draft year rolls around he's going to be called fat and out of shape and all sorts of things like that just because of how naturally huge he is.

Has he fucked up, sure he has, he'll likely be the 3rd OT taken now which still means I don't believe he will go any lower than 8...no matter how many times he's fucked up Michael Oher hasn't done enough to pass him.

blaise
03-13-2009, 07:19 AM
I'd be a little afraid if I were a GM, but there's no way he falls to the second round. The notion that he's plummeting is exaggerated- he's plummeting from the initial reports of him being a top 5 pick to going closer to 20, but that's about as far as he's falling (in my opinion). I bet a bunch of the O-linemen in the NFL look like that with their shirt off, and some of the guys that don't are just as much a problem because they can't keep their weight up high enough.
It's not like there aren't any concerns about other guys that you'd be taking around 10-20 in the first round. He played in the SEC, and he did well there. It's not like he was in the Patriot League. I don't remember him ever getting pushed backwards really (not that I've seen that many Alabama games when he was there- maybe 4 or 5). He's cost himself money, but I don't see why I should care about his finances.

htismaqe
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd be a little afraid if I were a GM, but there's no way he falls to the second round. The notion that he's plummeting is exaggerated- he's plummeting from the initial reports of him being a top 5 pick to going closer to 20, but that's about as far as he's falling (in my opinion). I bet a bunch of the O-linemen in the NFL look like that with their shirt off, and some of the guys that don't are just as much a problem because they can't keep their weight up high enough.
It's not like there aren't any concerns about other guys that you'd be taking around 10-20 in the first round. He played in the SEC, and he did well there. It's not like he was in the Patriot League. I don't remember him ever getting pushed backwards really (not that I've seen that many Alabama games when he was there- maybe 4 or 5). He's cost himself money, but I don't see why I should care about his finances.

I don't think he's gonna fall out of the Top 10, let alone to the 2nd round.

bdeg
03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I think he would fall out of the top ten if Al Davis wasn't picking in it. I don't think Jacksonville would, especially after the trouble they had with Barnes they don't want another headcase, maybe the 9ers.

htismaqe
03-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I think he would fall out of the top ten if Al Davis wasn't picking in it. I don't think Jacksonville would, especially after the trouble they had with Barnes they don't want another headcase, maybe the 9ers.

Like I said before, I don't give NFL teams much credit. By and large, they make more stupid personnel decisions than good ones. It varies from team to team, but there's enough desperate and stupid GM's in the league that a guy like Smith won't fall far.

Chiefnj2
03-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Like I said before, I don't give NFL teams much credit. By and large, they make more stupid personnel decisions than good ones. It varies from team to team, but there's enough desperate and stupid GM's in the league that a guy like Smith won't fall far.

The only thing that would cause him to fall out of the top 15 would be his personal interviews.

Mecca
03-13-2009, 07:07 PM

Cincy and Jacksonville both need OT's badly and both coaching staffs are inches from being fired...

ArrowheadMagic
03-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Someone will take a chance on him, but he most likely turns into a RT. He wont be able to handle speed rushers.

wild1
03-13-2009, 09:38 PM
the fact that this guy didn't give a crap about the combine, when he had tens of millions at risk, tells me he is not someone I would hire to clean out the soft serve machine at dairy queen

Tribal Warfare
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Cincy and Jacksonville both need OT's badly and both coaching staffs are inches from being fired...

and if The Lions and Rams select an OT then their is trade excellent value at OT for one of those teams to sell their soul for the allotted pick.

bdeg
03-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I know, that's why I said they could be looking to trade up for one. I just dunno if Smith is their guy. Now that you mention it though, Cincy wouldn't shock me.

Jacksonville just let a 2nd round pick from a few years walk, you don't think they're wary of taking a fat guy with character issues?

buddha
03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Andre has serious breasts. Dude should not have been running without a shirt on. HUGE mistake. You couldn't watch the guy running without focusing on his man boobs flying from side to side. I DIDN'T want to see that, but I promise you that everybody who was there tasted vomit in the back of their mouths.

Next, I don't care what Oher lifted or anybody else. It doesn't matter. You watch Andre doing his bench press and he looked like a guy who had never lifted weights before...seriously. His right arm was sliding outward, he had no rhythm at all. Dude is not naturally strong and he obviously hasn't put in nearly enough time to be weight room strong either.

Finally, dude is LAZY. We can all agree that he was looking at millions of dollars as a top five pick and he has eaten it all into oblivion. For those of you who think he'll be a top 10 pick, I really question your judgement. NFL teams are dumb (some of them), but they aren't THIS dumb. NOBODY is going to make this guy the face of their franchise for a year...that GM would get laughed off the planet.

Yes, at some point, some team will take a flyer on him, but the bottom line is that he had his shot at elite contract money and completely blew it.

Goapics1
03-17-2009, 12:33 PM

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!11!1! MY EYES!!!!!!!!

WHERE'S THE "NSFW" DISCLAIMER!!!!!11111!!!!!!1

DeezNutz
03-20-2009, 01:42 PM
This morning I finally saw the clip of him running at his pro day. ROFL That motherfucker has some impressive titties.

Who is supposed to be advising this stupid sumbitch? Obviously Smith's dumb ass needs help, and if someone can't so much as tell him to put a fucking shirt on, he's got far bigger problems down the road.

raybec 4
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Why in the world would he leave the combine cause he wasn't in shape and then have the "guts" to run the 40 with tits-a-bobblin?

Chiefnj2
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Why in the world would he leave the combine cause he wasn't in shape and then have the "guts" to run the 40 with tits-a-bobblin?

There were reports he played his senior season 340-350lbs. It wouldn't shock me to think that if he took a few weeks off after the season ended that he put on another 10 or so pounds. His agent and workout guys may have thought that the best thing was for him to concentrate on losing weight and not worry about anything else until he dropped 30lbs.

raybec 4
03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
There were reports he played his senior season 340-350lbs. It wouldn't shock me to think that if he took a few weeks off after the season ended that he put on another 10 or so pounds. His agent and workout guys may have thought that the best thing was for him to concentrate on losing weight and not worry about anything else until he dropped 30lbs.

Or a better idea would have been to keep working out after the season so you don't squander 20 million bucks.

Chiefnj2
03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Or a better idea would have been to keep working out after the season so you don't squander 20 million bucks.

But donuts and pizza taste so good together.

wazu
03-22-2009, 06:53 PM
The still shot actually isn't as bad as the video. NFLN showed a clip yesterday of him running with those double-d's bouncing. All I could think was, "HIS NAME WAS ROBERT PAULSON! HIS NAME WAS ROBERT PAULSON!"