PDA

View Full Version : Michael Johnson runs a 4.49 40-yard dash (unofficial) at Pro Day

bowener
03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
That's pretty fast. Some interesting stuff in that article about him as an OLB in a 3-4, or possibly best suited for a SAM in a 43.

Johnson dazzles NFL scouts at Pro Day (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/gatech/stories/2009/03/09/tech_johnson_pro_day.html)

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER (dledbetter@ajc.com)
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Monday, March 09, 2009
Samuel Johnson knows his son better than any NFL scout or draft analyst.
The former U.S. Marine, who received a purple heart after stepping on a land mine in Vietnam, instilled discipline in his son Michael Johnson, the Georgia Tech defensive end.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--> Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson dazzled the crowd of more than 40 NFL executives at the Jackets’ Pro Day.

<!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> “He always wanted to be a marine. He wanted to be a marine like dad,” the elder Johnson said Monday at Georgia Tech’s Pro Day.
The corps will not sign this recruit. He’s set to play in the NFL and could be selected as high as late in the first or early second round of April’s draft.
Johnson started playing football at age 10. In high school, the elder Johnson knew his son would play in college. But the sport was still up in the air. Johnson was a decent basketball player and turned down an offer from Auburn.

“I can still put it up a little bit,” Johnson said. “I averaged 17 or 18 points. I’d drop 30 [points] on them every now and then, grab 15 or 16 rebounds. Get three or four dunks. We had fun out there.”

The elder Johnson, while firm, didn’t have to discipline his son often.
“If you would lay something out before Michael, he would do it,” the father said. “We never had a problem with Michael. He has always been very disciplined. He always would strive to be perfect. Second place was never good enough for Michael.”

In true marine fashion, the father had a direct point for his son and the grinding NFL evaluation process.
“Stay focus and have fun,” Johnson said.
That’s what made it hard for those close to Johnson to understand how NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock questioned his play at Georgia Tech and label him an inconsistent player.

At Tech, the Yellow Jackets (http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/gatech/index.html?cxntlid=linkr) asked Johnson to do a lot, according to defensive line coach Giff Smith. Johnson had to rush the passer, play the run and sometimes cover the tight end or running backs in pass coverage.
NFL teams are split on whether Johnson is a defensive end or an outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment. One team said he could play strongside linebacker in a 4-3 scheme.

“I think Mike will be a better pro than he was a college football player,” his father said. “The game fits him better. His natural athleticism is more geared toward the pro game. He had to do a lot of things on the defensive side of the ball at Georgia Tech that he won’t have to do in pro ball.”

Johnson dazzled the crowd of more than 40 NFL executives and personnel men Monday, including Falcons (http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/index.html?cxntlid=linkr) general manager Thomas Dimitroff, head coach Mike Smith and Carolina head coach John Fox. Johnson even stayed around to run some pass routes as a tight end for quarterbacks Calvin Booker and Taylor Bennett.

Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds, with one team — the Detroit Lions — clocking him at 4.49. That was substantially faster than the 4.66 he ran at the NFL scouting combine in February.

“There is no surprise that Michael Johnson is a heck of an athlete, a heck of a physical specimen,” Dimitroff said. “Things will work out very well for him well in the National Football League, not to mention a number of other players on the Georgia Tech football team.”

Johnson, 6-foot-7, 266-pounds, went to dinner with Miami Dolphins defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers on Sunday at the Fox Sports Grill. Several coaches from the New York Jets took turns speaking with Johnson Monday. He advised not to read too much into the dinner or the conversations.

“I’ll be happy with whomever takes me and they are going to be happy for taking me,” Johnson said. “Wherever I go … I want to win. I’ve never won a championship and that’s my main goal.”

He’s clearly past Mayock’s bashing.

“This wasn’t the first time that someone said something bad about me,” Johnson said. “It won’t be the last time. That’s his opinion. He’s got the right to it. I don’t have anything against him.”

Wish we could steal him in the 2nd round if he has the skills to play OLB. He seems more like the edge rusher we would need instead of Curry.

Chiefnj2
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
One scout with a fast thumb doesn't mean he really runs a 4.49.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-12-2009, 02:32 PM
That field has short turf which leads to faster than usual times.

SBK
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
If we were able to trade down and pick up a 2nd is Johnson worth that 2nd pick? Sometimes I think he would be because of his ceiling, other times I wonder if he's just a workout warrior.

I followed UGA a lot more than GT this year....

MIAdragon
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
If we were able to trade down and pick up a 2nd is Johnson worth that 2nd pick? Sometimes I think he would be because of his ceiling, other times I wonder if he's just a workout warrior.

I followed UGA a lot more than GT this year....

I see him going in the late first.

SBK
03-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I see him going in the late first.

I figure he would too. But, if we had a high 2nd round pick, and he was there, would he be a good pick for us?

KCrockaholic
03-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I figure he would too. But, if we had a high 2nd round pick, and he was there, would he be a good pick for us?

no doubt. The value for him in the 2nd would be very good.

Blick
03-12-2009, 03:34 PM
He should've been much more productive at Georgia Tech with his talent. That's a big concern for me. I would stay away from him.

Mecca
03-12-2009, 03:36 PM
And this is why he avoided the senior bowl, his workouts test better than how he plays.

BigChiefFan
03-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Good thing our GM and Head Coach enjoy watching game film.

Mr. Krab
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
He ran a 4.75 at the combine. Something doesn't smell right.

bdeg
03-12-2009, 04:05 PM
He ran a 4.75 at the combine. Something doesn't smell right.

The 4.49 was Gunther.

Blick
03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
And this is why he avoided the senior bowl, his workouts test better than how he plays.

He's like the Heyward-Bey of D-linemen! :D

Just kidding. I like DHB.

Consistent1
03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
The 4.49 was Gunther.

He could go at the one spot with speed like that. Seriously, how funny is it that the damn Lions got that much faster of a time?

Douche Baggins
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
This guy might be a beast at 3-4 OLB.

Even at 4.66, for his size that's impressive.

Douche Baggins
03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
On a side note, he's probably faster than Crabtree.