PDA

View Full Version : 3 way trade scenario... Chiefs, Lions, Broncos

Coogs
03-14-2009, 10:40 AM
I posted this in another thread, but thought I would repost it over here since it could get burried over in the Lounge.

Denver trades Cutler and #12 pick to the Lions for the #1 overall pick. Detroit in turn trades their #12 and #20 overall pick to the Chiefs for the #3 overall pick.

Denver gets their QB.
Detroit gets their QB and either Curry or top LT.
KC gets better position for our needs.

wild1
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
spock

ferrarispider95
03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
We have no qb and will be picking 12th. Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. Stafford and Sanchez both will be gone.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 10:46 AM
We have no qb and will be picking 12th. Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me. Stafford and Sanchez both will be gone.

I'm not sure I follow you.

Detroit would have Cutler.
Denver would have Stafford or Sanchez at #1.
Chiefs have Cassel.

Not sure what team you are a fan of, but looks like all three would have their QB.

chiefforlife
03-14-2009, 10:49 AM

WTF?

Dolphinduck
03-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Why would Detriot trade back up and rid themselves of 2 first round picks just to draft A linebacker or a tackle when there will be plenty of talent at #12 and #20?

Coogs
03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Why would Detriot trade back up and rid themselves of 2 first round picks just to draft A linebacker or a tackle when there will be plenty of talent at #12 and #20?

:shrug: Maybe they have a woody for Curry or Smith.

It's just a BB scenario that sort of makes some sense for all three teams. Nothing more. Just some food for thought.

Unless Denver would rather have Tebow next year. ;)

ferrarispider95
03-14-2009, 11:05 AM
My bad, I assumed you were giving up Cassel, since Denver has a hard-on for him.

Under those conditions, looks good to me.

Dolphinduck
03-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Stafford or Sanchez will be available at #12 and neither is as good as Culter. The situation in Denver will blow over by training camp. If your looking to trade down you might be able to get a First and third this year and a conditional first next year.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Stafford or Sanchez will be available at #12 and neither is as good as Culter. The situation in Denver will blow over by training camp. If your looking to trade down you might be able to get a First and third this year and a conditional first next year.

There was an article over on the Lounge that said the Broncos possibly would have to trade up very high in the draft to get a starting QB in this draft.

Hence... this scenario.

Mr. Krab
03-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I can see why Denver and Detroit would do the trade but i don't see why Detroit would trade up after they already got their QB.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I can see why Denver and Detroit would do the trade but i don't see why Detroit would trade up after they already got their QB.

To get the top LT to block for him. :shrug:

A lot of people here are looking for a trade down scenario. Hell, I'm not sure anyone is willing to trade up to the #3 spot. I'm just playing with some scenarios that might make some sense. This one sort of fits all the criteria of fair trades.

ChiefsCountry
03-14-2009, 12:05 PM
It would suck having to face Stafford or Sanchez each year.

doomy3
03-14-2009, 12:12 PM
It would suck having to face Stafford or Sanchez each year.

I'm not sure about that. Cutler is pretty equal to Stafford's ceiling IMO, and above Sanchez's, other than "intangibles."

The Poz
03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I can't imagine the Lions willing to pay 2 massive contracts with the 1st and 3rd overall picks.
If Pioli trades down it'll be similar to last years draft. The phone will start ringing once the Chiefs are on the clock. Maybe Cleveland or even Houston with Curry available. Atl, Bal and TB could also be willing to over pay for a shot at Curry.

ChiefsCountry
03-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure about that. Cutler is pretty equal to Stafford's ceiling IMO, and above Sanchez's, other than "intangibles."

Stafford's ceiling is John Elway.

Cornstock
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
It sounds good in theory. How does it line up with the draft points value system? Have you checked?

milkman
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
There is no way in hell the Lions would want to shell out the kind of jack that both the #1 and #3 overall would demand.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
It sounds good in theory. How does it line up with the draft points value system? Have you checked?

#12 = 1200
#20 = 850

#1 = 3000

#3 = 2200

#4 = 1800

So that trade would be assigning a rough value of a #4 overall value to Cutler plus the #12 for the Broncos to trade up to #1 with the Lions. Sounds pretty fair.

Then we would be minus 150 points on the trade down for 12 and 20... 2050 vs 2200, but still reasonable IMO.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
There is no way in hell the Lions would want to shell out the kind of jack that both the #1 and #3 overall would demand.

It would be whatever they pay Cutler and the #3, and Cutlers value may already be set for a few more years.

milkman
03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
It would be whatever they pay Cutler and the #3, and Cutlers value may already be set for a few more years.

:doh!:

ChiefRon
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Sure are a lot of pipe dreams this time of year...

Coogs
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM

No more far fetched than a trade down with Cincinnati for thier 1st and 2nd, or anybody else for that matter. And this one actually makes some sense if you think about it for a bit.

ChiefRon
03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
No more far fetched than a trade down with Cincinnati for thier 1st and 2nd, or anybody else for that matter. And this one actually makes some sense if you think about it for a bit.

Makes sense to who? This one sounds far-fetched to me.

Not ragging on anyone, just sayin...

orange
03-14-2009, 01:32 PM

It makes no sense at all. The Lions offered their #1 PLUS for Cutler and the Broncos wouldn't go for it.

Coogs
03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
It makes no sense at all. The Lions offered their #1 PLUS for Cutler and the Broncos wouldn't go for it.

Now that is far fetched.

ChiefRon
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
No more far fetched than a trade down with Cincinnati for thier 1st and 2nd

I respectfully disagree, Cincy moving up a couple spots to nab a LT makes sense to me...

But hey, what do I know? Nobody ever guesses these draft trades right, do they?

I'm sure we'll see a couple head-scratchers...

I just doubt there's any trades at all with top 5

ChiefsCountry
03-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Cincy trading up isnt going to happen with those tight bastards.

PGM
03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
There is no chance that Denver would give up Cutler and thier first rounder. None whatsoever.

Mr. Krab
03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
To get the top LT to block for him. :shrug:

A lot of people here are looking for a trade down scenario. Hell, I'm not sure anyone is willing to trade up to the #3 spot. I'm just playing with some scenarios that might make some sense. This one sort of fits all the criteria of fair trades.
It's cool, trading down would probably be a good thing for us this year.

Mr. Krab
03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Nothing wrong with dreaming. It's better than just sitting around and bitching(not saying you are) about everything.

CaliforniaChief
03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
A lot of it depends on how bad things get between McDaniels and Cutler.

Also, props to whoever misspelled Detroit as Detriot. Very fitting.

BigRock
03-15-2009, 12:41 AM
There is no chance that Denver would give up Cutler and thier first rounder. None whatsoever.

I agree in theory, but if they were dead-set on getting the #1 pick, they might do it. I tend to doubt they would get the #1 pick otherwise because Denver has no real negotiating strength here to make Detroit surrender that pick.

But agreeing that Denver wouldn't trade Cutler and the #12 to Detroit, I think a somewhat more likely scenario would be Denver trading Cutler to Detroit for Detroit's #20 pick (and whatever else, but the #1 isn't involved).

So Detroit has Cutler and still has #1, just like we have Cassel and still have #3. And Denver has #12 and #20.

Then Denver offers us #12 and #20 (and whatever else, if anything more is needed) so they can move up to #3 and grab a QB.

Fairly unlikely, but weirder things have happened.

PGM
03-15-2009, 07:14 AM
I agree in theory, but if they were dead-set on getting the #1 pick, they might do it. I tend to doubt they would get the #1 pick otherwise because Denver has no real negotiating strength here to make Detroit surrender that pick.

But agreeing that Denver wouldn't trade Cutler and the #12 to Detroit, I think a somewhat more likely scenario would be Denver trading Cutler to Detroit for Detroit's #20 pick (and whatever else, but the #1 isn't involved).

So Detroit has Cutler and still has #1, just like we have Cassel and still have #3. And Denver has #12 and #20.

Then Denver offers us #12 and #20 (and whatever else, if anything more is needed) so they can move up to #3 and grab a QB.Fairly unlikely, but weirder things have happened.

Denver would essentially be giving up a franchise QB plus a chance at picking a pretty good player at number 12 for the chance to draft a "potential" franchise QB at #1. Just doesn't seem very bright to me.

bdeg
03-15-2009, 07:21 AM
No, they'd be giving up a current malcontent to get the guy they want. The whole scenario hinges on Denver thinking Stafford is worth the #1. If they make that evaluation, them moving up isn't out of the question.

PGM
03-15-2009, 07:30 AM
No, they'd be giving up a current malcontent to get the guy they want. The whole scenario hinges on Denver thinking Stafford is worth the #1. If they make that evaluation, them moving up isn't out of the question.

To be honest, I don't see Cutler getting dealt. It looks bad now, but it's not like it is a situation where they HAVE to trade him. One of those I'll believe it when I see it types.

That would be one heck of a deal for Detroit if that took place. They would have Cutler, the #12 pick, and the #20.

bdeg
03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Cutler is standing in a hole and he just keeps digging it deeper. He was so proud and immature that he took objection to their trying to trade him and even put his house and his parents' houses on the market! Do you think his pride and stubbornness will allow him to fall back in line when his coach isn't making any concessions? I agree he's being petty and it can end whenever he wants it to, but McDaniels should probably be a little more sensitive. It's obvious Cutler is immature.

That said, yes Cutler will probably QB the donks next season.

vailpass
03-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Stafford's ceiling is John Elway.

Watch your mouth. Pray to God and say you are sorry.

vailpass
03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Cutler is standing in a hole and he just keeps digging it deeper. He was so proud and immature that he took objection to their trying to trade him and even put his house and his parents' houses on the market! Do you think his pride and stubbornness will allow him to fall back in line when his coach isn't making any concessions? I agree he's being petty and it can end whenever he wants it to, but McDaniels should probably be a little more sensitive. It's obvious Cutler is immature.

That said, yes Cutler will probably QB the donks next season.

Just in case you care that isn't quite accurate.

Cutler is not upset that a trade possibility involving his name was discussed.

Cutler is upset because Coach McKid lied to him about the manner in which the talks occurred.
McKid told Cutler he didn't actively seek a trade, that he was called and listened to what other teams had to say about trading for Cutler.

This is a lie. Cutler called him on it. McKid has dug himself in a hole and now can't tell the truth. Cutler calls bullshit not on being discussed in a trade but on being lied to about the trade.

NOW, if you still think Cutler is in the wrong then you are certainly not alone. But at least now you can make an accurate judgement based on the facts.

Marco Polo
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Then Denver offers us #12 and #20 (and whatever else, if anything more is needed) so they can move up to #3 and grab a QB.

I have thought of this scenario as well. I could see this happening.

Lions beat reporter Tom Kowalski writes that he's "more and more convinced" Detroit will take a left tackle No. 1 overall.
Kowalski says it'll be Eugene Monroe or Jason Smith, likely based on which is willing to take a cheaper contract. Kowalski doesn't think the Lions are sold on Matt Stafford and expects them to make a run at Jay Cutler on draft day. Cutler would at least cost Detroit its second first-round pick (No. 20).

bdeg
03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I had heard that, I just wasn't being specific. I still think he's being immature and stubborn. Well explained, though.

Halfcan
03-15-2009, 08:27 PM
never happen

Coogs
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Now this may have some potential. I saw on ESPNNews where Cutler and the new HC met face to face yesterday in Denver and it did not go well at all. They got into a "heated exchange", and things did not end well at all.