PDA

View Full Version : 47 reps at 225....eat your heart out Tank Tyler

Count Alex's Losses
03-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I think Tank did 42 or something? Maybe this guy is a 3-4 DE prospect?

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/95778-michigan-dt-wows-scouts

Michigan DT wows scouts (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/95778-michigan-dt-wows-scouts)

University of Michigan strongman defensive tackle Will Johnson flexed his muscles at his campus Pro Day in a performance reminiscent of weightlifters Hans and Franz of old Saturday Night Live fame. Johnson bench pressed 225 pounds a staggering 47 times, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com. It's believed to be a record for an incoming NFL draft prospect, according to NFL Draft Scout. The 6-foot-4, 281-pound defensive lineman ran the 40-yard dash in 5.07 and 5.1 seconds, had a 9-4 broad jump, a 4.61 time in the short shuttle and a 7.5 in the three-cone drill.
profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/15/michigans-johnson-puts-on-a-show/)

AustinChief
03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I would love to grab him in the 4th round.. but I doubt he slides that far now... not sure he is worth our high 3rd round pick.

DeezNutz
03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
That's fucking sick.

RustShack
03-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Bring his ass in!

the Talking Can
03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
sounds like a p*&^!

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Amazing feat, but one thing people should be wary of when guys have huge bench #s are arm length. The guys who do best usually are barrel-chested and have short arms, which is death for a lineman in the NFL, because they get engulfed by tackles who are able to engage them from a distance.

SNR
03-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Roids

bdeg
03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Amazing feat, but one thing people should be wary of when guys have huge bench #s are arm length. The guys who do best usually are barrel-chested and have short arms, which is death for a lineman in the NFL, because they get engulfed by tackles who are able to engage them from a distance.

Was that the case with Tank? I don't remember and can't find his arm length.

BigChiefFan
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
DE or possibly OLBer in a 3-4.

bdeg
03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
at 281 what the hell makes you think he has the athleticism to drop into coverage, or the quickness to rush the passer?

I agree with Claythan, without watching him play, he sounds like a perfect 3-4 DE.

Rain Man
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM

That's a good point.

Though looking at the original post, if he's 6-4 and 281, it would imply that he's not squatty. Maybe we should see a photo or something.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Was that the case with Tank? I don't remember and can't find his arm length.

33" for tank. Run of the mill for a guy his size, but he has a huge chest, so that helped him immensely.

BigChiefFan
03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
That's a good point.

Though looking at the original post, if he's 6-4 and 281, it would imply that he's not squatty. Maybe we should see a photo or something.Click the link, Rainy-there's a photo.;)

kstater
03-15-2009, 03:25 PM
47? I'd check a couple of those weights to see if they're foam filled.

bdeg
03-15-2009, 03:26 PM
He certainly doesn't look barrel-chested in that picture, but it looks like his shoulders are slumped too.

Rain Man
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Click the link, Rainy-there's a photo.;)

Oh. Duh. They should label those things.

That's is indeed an odd picture. I found this one, and it's apparent that he likes tiny shoulder pads.

Given where his arms are reaching down, it looks like he's got short arms. Either that, or I've got monkey arms, because mine go a lot further down my leg this his do in that picture.

http://www.mikedesimone.com/m07/ohiostate/wp63.jpg

Rain Man
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
You make the call:

http://media.scout.com/media/image/57/576649.jpg

bdeg
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
It's just about impossible to judge arm-length, its all relative and they're not straight. His seem about in line with the others in the picture. Definitely not barrel-chested though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Short arms, definitely.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 04:07 PM
It's just about impossible to judge arm-length, its all relative and they're not straight. Definitely not barrel-chested though.

Look at Scottie Pippen, Michael Strahan, and Kevin Durant and compare them to someone like Chase Daniel.

If you know someone's height, you can tell a lot about arm length by how low they hang.

bdeg
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
True, it was obvious he didn't have great arm length, but I didn't know enough to call them short. Point taken.

Tribal Warfare
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
33" for tank. Run of the mill for a guy his size, but he has a huge chest, so that helped him immensely.
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/04/28/petersonedwardskuharich_on_dt_tank_tyler/

I thought Tank got 42 reps

bdeg
03-15-2009, 05:44 PM
arm length of 33 inches

Halfcan
03-15-2009, 10:03 PM
the real question is-can he pass the slap test-lol

aturnis
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
His arms look average length to me. Hamas says short, but I think maybe he's comparing them to some of the big name guys who have monkey arms. I don't know though for sure.

Hog Farmer
03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Shorter arms give you more power at the point of contact. I know long arms are good for snagging the ball carrier but he could be a force in the middle.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Shorter arms give you more power at the point of contact. I know long arms are good for snagging the ball carrier but he could be a force in the middle.

Actually, short arms are a huge disadvantage because a guy with longer arms is going to get his hands on you inside your shoulders before you can make a rip or a swim, and he's going to be able to punch you off your intended path.

ChiefsCountry
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Power clean is what they should test guys on.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Power clean is what they should test guys on.

I personally think that squats would be the best measure, but the risk of injury is too high, especially if guys are trying for 1 RM.

ChiefsCountry
03-16-2009, 12:09 AM
I personally think that squats would be the best measure, but the risk of injury is too high, especially if guys are trying for 1 RM.

Its not a measure of strength in your whole body. Thats why I like power cleans. Its a pretty good measure of athleticsm, strength, and endurance all in one lift.

DeezNutz
03-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Its not a measure of strength in your whole body. Thats why I like power cleans. Its a pretty good measure of athleticsm, strength, and endurance all in one lift.

Technique is so important to this lift, that, again, it becomes an injury concern. It would be particularly easy to tweak a back.

htismaqe
03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Actually, short arms are a huge disadvantage because a guy with longer arms is going to get his hands on you inside your shoulders before you can make a rip or a swim, and he's going to be able to punch you off your intended path.

A guy with longer arms can disrupt passing lanes easier as well.

Buehler445
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Technique is so important to this lift, that, again, it becomes an injury concern. It would be particularly easy to tweak a back.

You're right, but I think as much as these guys prep it would be worth the risk. Especially if they take the smae approach they did to bench. Keep it (relatively) light and measure reps. What the athletes would have to focus on is maintaining form when you get fatigued.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rudy lost the toss
03-19-2009, 02:56 AM
would be a wasted draft pick

Sully
03-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Power cleans woul dbe the absolute best.
Hip action.
Leg strength.
Explosion.
Technique that translates to football.

But you are right, too many injuries.

-King-
03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Doesn't look to me like he has small arms, especially when you combine that with his height. A guy like Jamal Williams has short arms but not this guy.

And he's only started one game in his career..so why should we draft him again?

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I dont see why you guys are so in love with how many reps a guy can do on bench press

RustShack
03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I dont see why you guys are so in love with how many reps a guy can do on bench press

I don't see why your name is our shitty backup QB.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM

For an offensive or defensive linemen, bench press reps are helpful in determining how well he can use his hands in a resistance situation.

RustShack
03-20-2009, 04:11 PM
For an offensive or defensive linemen, bench press reps are helpful in determining how well he can use his hands in a resistance situation.

But Thigpen says it doesn't matter, we better contact the NFL and tell them to cancel future combines and pro days.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 02:02 AM
But Thigpen says it doesn't matter, we better contact the NFL and tell them to cancel future combines and pro days.
Honestly? Does your vag need some deuching? You realize that I never said that they should take the bench out of the combine? You realize that in football you never are on your back pushing up slowly? Dont get me wrong I think its somewhat important but I think think some people on here place way too much importance on it. What the **** has tank done his time here? Will Johnson has started one game and made 12 tackles in his career. Sweet.

RustShack
03-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Honestly? Does your vag need some deuching? You realize that I never said that they should take the bench out of the combine? You realize that in football you never are on your back pushing up slowly? Dont get me wrong I think its somewhat important but I think think some people on here place way too much importance on it. What the **** has tank done his time here? Will Johnson has started one game and made 12 tackles in his career. Sweet.

I think you need to recheck your facts because he was a team captain and started 24 games. Dumbass.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 02:28 AM
I think you need to recheck your facts because he was a team captain and started 24 games. Dumbass.
I must have looked at an old source. Still he is projected to be taken in the 5th round. But but but he can do 47 reps on bench....

RustShack
03-21-2009, 02:29 AM
I must have looked at an old source. Still he is projected to be taken in the 5th round. But but but he can do 47 reps on bench....

Is he supposed to be a first round pick because he can bench a lot? What does that have to do with Draft status?

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Is he supposed to be a first round pick because he can bench a lot? What does that have to do with Draft status?
Let me spell this out for you. Posters of this site seem to be balls deep in players who can bench press a lot. They think that bench press makes you an amazing football player. If you are an amazing football player you should be drafted relatively high in the NFL draft. Did you catch all of that? You seem to be in need of some gold ole readin comprehension.

RustShack
03-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Or maybe they think he would be a good later pick since we are switching to a 3-4 and he has good size for a DE? I mean his job would be to take up blockers and big strong guys are usually pretty good at that. Or does the bench have nothing to do with strength?

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 02:48 AM
Or maybe they think he would be a good later pick since we are switching to a 3-4 and he has good size for a DE? I mean his job would be to take up blockers and big strong guys are usually pretty good at that. Or does the bench have nothing to do with strength?
Jesus H Christ. A good later pick based on what? How many reps he can do on bench? What i am saying is that there are WAY more important things than how many reps a kid can do on bench.

RustShack
03-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Jesus H Christ. A good later pick based on what? How many reps he can do on bench? What i am saying is that there are WAY more important things than how many reps a kid can do on bench.

I think this thread and even the main post talks about a lot more than just his bench press. Or do I need to go through it all and explain because you seem a little slow.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 03:01 AM
I think this thread and even the main post talks about a lot more than just his bench press. Or do I need to go through it all and explain because you seem a little slow.
You are really making this tough. I did not say every poster in this entire thread has a hard on for bench pres. I said some. Look at the title. It is about how many reps he can do on bench. People seem to like this guy only because of how many reps he can do. Nobody has talked about his hand speed or footwork. How about stamina? Why not talk about the tackles in this draft that are rated higher than him?

RustShack
03-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Well you said most, but your right... someone breaking the bench record is worthless news. No one is obviously huge on him because no one is talking about drafting him in the first round or even first day. He was a team captain which means he must have been alright. He has starts at DT and DE meaning hes versatile. They also posted his 40 time, cone drill time, and broad jump, so the bench isn't the only thing being talked about. Also he was a four time all academic in the Big Ten meaning he isn't a total idiot. The biggest thing being talked about is his size and strength, and how good of a fit that makes him for a 3-4 DE because his job would be to take up blockers while the LBers make plays.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 03:15 AM
Well you said most, but your right... someone breaking the bench record is worthless news. No one is obviously huge on him because no one is talking about drafting him in the first round or even first day. He was a team captain which means he must have been alright. He has starts at DT and DE meaning hes versatile. They also posted his 40 time, cone drill time, and broad jump, so the bench isn't the only thing being talked about. Also he was a four time all academic in the Big Ten meaning he isn't a total idiot. The biggest thing being talked about is his size and strength, and how good of a fit that makes him for a 3-4 DE because his job would be to take up blockers while the LBers make plays.
I am not saying he is a bad player. Being book smart and being football smart are two different things. Again people are talking about him because of his 47 reps on bench. Just because you are strong on the bench press doesnt mean you are football strong. If you dont get off the ball fast enough then it doesnt matter how strong you are. You will get blown off the ball and the linemen will get to the LBers. Kinda goes to what Hamas said. How long are his arms? There are better prospects out there at defensive tackle that no one is talking about. Team captain means you are the leader of the team not necessarily the best player.

RustShack
03-21-2009, 03:21 AM
I don't think they nominate bad players to team captain or even start them multiple years, especially at a school like Michigan. If he was so bad he wouldn't be talked about even getting drafted, and this isn't the only guy people are talking about. So I'm not really sure what your getting at. Your saying stuff everyone knows, and of course this guy has flaws just like anyone drafted in the later rounds will. I'm sorry that he doesn't pass your list of prospects to talk about, but by judging by your name your have piss poor talent evaluation anyways.

RustShack
03-21-2009, 03:24 AM
But hey just curious, who are all these better choices as a 3-4 DE in the later rounds?

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-21-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't think they nominate bad players to team captain or even start them multiple years, especially at a school like Michigan. If he was so bad he wouldn't be talked about even getting drafted, and this isn't the only guy people are talking about. So I'm not really sure what your getting at. Your saying stuff everyone knows, and of course this guy has flaws just like anyone drafted in the later rounds will. I'm sorry that he doesn't pass your list of prospects to talk about, but by judging by your name your have piss poor talent evaluation anyways.
Oh yea Michigan has been amazing these past two years..... You elect the emotional leader of your team as your captain. What I am saying is that people seem to be placing how many reps he can do on bench over his other abilities that they have no idea about.How many threads do you see about Sammie Lee Hill from Stillman? Or Ricky Jean-Francois from LSU? You are ****ing ignorant. Im not saying he wont be a good 3-4 d end. The main reason why people are talking about him is his 47 reps on bench. Im saying people put too much stock in the fact that he can do 47 reps on bench. Nothing more nothing less.

Yes please keep making fun of my screen name. please tell me why i put a !1! after his name? I guess i missed all of the games where he zeroed in on tony g or missed his receiver by a mile.

Hog Farmer
03-21-2009, 06:05 AM
They should make them do jumping jacks. Thats how you measure a REAL mans power.

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Oh yea Michigan has been amazing these past two years..... You elect the emotional leader of your team as your captain. What I am saying is that people seem to be placing how many reps he can do on bench over his other abilities that they have no idea about.How many threads do you see about Sammie Lee Hill from Stillman? Or Ricky Jean-Francois from LSU? You are ****ing ignorant. Im not saying he wont be a good 3-4 d end. The main reason why people are talking about him is his 47 reps on bench. Im saying people put too much stock in the fact that he can do 47 reps on bench. Nothing more nothing less.

Yes please keep making fun of my screen name. please tell me why i put a !1! after his name? I guess i missed all of the games where he zeroed in on tony g or missed his receiver by a mile.

So I only saw 2 people that said to draft him and no one said draft overly high. Also, how do you know that the people saying they would draft him, haven't been watching him play? I think you are focusing too much on the bench reps. Most on the board know not to get crazy with workout numbers in player evals. I just don't get where you are seeing people are basing his evaluation on his bench reps? The reason the title of the thread is such, is because it's a big number. People are going to talk about it, but that doesn't mean thats all they are talking about like you suggest.

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I always wondered if your username was subtle sarcasm. Well played sir!

Micjones
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Cause those 42 reps have been so significant in Tyler's case.
:rolleyes:

BRING HIM IN!!!

Um... How's about a guy that can just play football?
There's and idea!

Count Alex's Losses
03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Cause those 42 reps have been so significant in Tyler's case.
:rolleyes:

BRING HIM IN!!!

Um... How's about a guy that can just play football?
There's and idea!

Tank played well last year. His strength showed on the football field.

Micjones
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Tank played well last year. His strength showed on the football field.

For all that Tank has shown he's still a middling DT at absolute best and hasn't proven the value draft pick he was called when he was taken.

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
For all that Tank has shown he's still a middling DT at absolute best and hasn't proven the value draft pick he was called when he was taken.

I disagree.

Tyler was a late 3rd round pick. He had 41 tackles (29 solo) and 12 assists last year for the 31st defense in the NFL. IF there had been any talent around him to speak of, he'd be more of a force.

Tank was a fine pick who will only continue to ascend.

htismaqe
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
I disagree.

Tyler was a late 3rd round pick. He had 41 tackles (29 solo) and 12 assists last year for the 31st defense in the NFL. IF there had been any talent around him to speak of, he'd be more of a force.

Tank was a fine pick who will only continue to ascend.

OK, who the fuck hijacked Dane's account?

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2009, 10:11 PM
OK, who the fuck hijacked Dane's account?

ROFL

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
It must've been his wife. That would explain the weird "do me keg, do me" PMs.