PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Top Defensive Prospects for zee Chiefs at #3

soundmind
03-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Anyone else done hearing about Cutler???

Top Defensive Prospects for zee Chiefs at #3:

So with the draft roughly 5 weeks away, we’re likely to see a ton of this, but I’ve grown suspicious of all the Curry fanfare. Not unlike any number of other scenarios, I’m inclined not to “trust” the media on this one. He’s being touted as the “safe” pick, but we all know that doesn’t exist. What’s more, I believe in this draft, there are possibly more impactful players that aren’t being considered, solely based on draft position.

Now I’m not asserting that player position vs. draft position doesn’t matter, it does. However, I believe selecting 3rd overall means we should be searching for a cornerstone of our future team, nearly regardless of position. I’m a fan of building from the inside out, but I think you’d better establish your mental/physical leaders as a priority. Vrabel is a great mind to have added, but his physical contributions are limited and likely have a short shelf life.

While I think Curry is looking more and more polished and full of potential (I'm not knocking the guy really), I don’t see him as the obvious selection everyone else seems to. I do think we’ll go with defense, but I simply don’t have Curry on top.

REY MAUALUGA - Southern California - ILB
- intimidating, big-hitter with the right instincts to play the MLB position in the NFL
- sheds blocks in pursuit and has shown the ability to make the play when blitzing
- for a MLB in the 3-4, he has the pass coverage abilities you’d need underneath
- likely to make an immediate impact, with little worry in conversion to the pro game

EVERETT BROWN - Florida State - DE
- may be the only “Tier 1” DE who seems built for the 3-4
- credited with a phenomenal first step and explosiveness
- 13.5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in 2008, dude can rush the QB
- likely to be the first DE taken on April’s big day

AARON CURRY - Wake Forest - OLB
- media love-child of the 09 draft, but clearly NOT the consensus #1
- consistent player who reads the play, finds the ball and reacts appropriately
- doesn’t have the sack stats to salivate many of the Arrowhead faithful
- great workouts at Combine, presents himself as a professional

BJ RAJI - Boston College - DT/NT
- sort of the consensus “best DL” in the draft, apparently ready for the NFL
- showed the strength and power to take on double-teams and pass rush
- seems to really enjoy the game and the limelight
- workouts went well, but for me, left a little to be desired...

BRIAN ORAKPO - Texas - DE/possible OLB(3-4)
- dominant pass rusher, but there are serious questions against the run
- weight room phenom who works extremely hard to better his game
- he’s young, but hell, anymore that should be a positive
- Texas plays a lot of 4-3, but he has the measurables to play in the 3-4

I’m just curious to see what you fine people think of some of the other options. I’ve grown tired of this assumption we’re taking Curry, partially because I’d rather we took someone who plays an aggressive, culture-changing game like Maualuga. It seems we’re pretty settled on Cassel, and I don’t think there’s any reason we’d actually trade the guy, so we’re not taking Stafford or Sanchez.....I’m extremely interested to see who might bring in for private workouts, and eagerly await your takes!

Have a great week ya’ll.

88TG88
03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
slim pickens

keg in kc
03-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Brown or Raji make the most sense to me. Curry would work if we were still in the 4-3 or didn't already have DJ playing his position in the 3-4. 3's too high for Maualuga and I don't like Orapko.

Dicky McElephant
03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Trade down.

StcChief
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
trade down or Curry.

htismaqe
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I like Brown if we can't trade down.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd rather take a rainbow shower than draft Curry at 3.

bdeg
03-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Brown.

Your note says Orakpo is young, but note that Brown is more than a year younger.

talastan
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Either Curry, or if we find a trade partner trade down a few spots and pick up Everette Brown.

soundmind
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Brown or Raji make the most sense to me. Curry would work if we were still in the 4-3 or didn't already have DJ playing his position in the 3-4. 3's too high for Maualuga and I don't like Orapko.

You know, normally I'd be inclined to agree. But things are thin this year as far as "top talent" goes. I'd have NO problem with them "reaching" on Maualuga this year....love the guys game, and the way he crushes ball carriers. When was the last time you recall a Chief with that kind of explosion on impact? Bennie Thompson? And hell, that's because he had a 50 yard sprint before he hit anyone....

soundmind
03-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Then he ceremonially marked his territory.....with the money we'd give the top pick, he'd better hike a leg once a game at least.

suds79
03-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Trade down.

Brock
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll take "Not worth the 3 pick" for 400, Alex.

Mr. Krab
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Everette Brown or Aaron Curry, but neither should really be picked at #3.

Raji - I keep hearing everyone talk about how great is, but i haven't seen it.
Orakpo - every time i've seen him he hasn't been anything special.
Maualuga - He seems to get caught up in the trash far too often to translate his game to the pros.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I would be surprised to see Rey taken in the first round. From what I saw he looked horrible and the combine before faking the injury.

Molitoth
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Since there is no "trade down" option, I went with BJ Raji.

soundmind
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Since there is no "trade down" option, I went with BJ Raji.

I left that out intentionally...just because I'm not so sure that's gonna be an option. Not to mention, everyone would choose that. We may get lucky, and have a few teams freak out when Stafford/Sanchez are both available at #3, especially considering its not out of the question for Seattle to take Stafford if he falls there...

I also left offensive players off, mostly b/c I just don't see Crabtree in our offense, I think we need a burner opposite of or alongside Bowe.

DaKCMan AP
03-16-2009, 01:31 PM
EVERETT BROWN - Florida State - DE
- may be the only “Tier 1” DE who seems built for the 3-4
- credited with a phenomenal first step and explosiveness
- 13.5 sacks and 4 forced fumbles in 2008, dude can rush the QB
- likely to be the first DE taken on April’s big day

I hope you don't mean as a 3-4 DE.

Micjones
03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see the Chiefs trade down to acquire a Second Round pick.

Coogs
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I also left offensive players off, mostly b/c I just don't see Crabtree in our offense, I think we need a burner opposite of or alongside Bowe.

I'm not so sure Fitzgerald or Boldin are what you would consider burners. However, both require extreme attention by the defense. Crabtree opposite of Bowe would be very close to what the Cards have, and wold really take some heat off of Gonzo and the running game. IMO anyway.

Not saying I would draft Crabtree, just wouldn't be at all shocked if we do.

Gdaddy
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
we've taken too many shots at D lineman and that hasnt worked.

bdeg
03-16-2009, 02:10 PM
we've taken too many shots at D lineman and that hasnt worked.

If at first you don't succeed... quit?

Mecca
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM
I would be surprised to see Rey taken in the first round. From what I saw he looked horrible and the combine before faking the injury.

ROFL

Are you serious, he's basically a mortal lock to go to San Diego if he drops that far and if something weird happened there one of the playoff 3-4 teams like say NE would probably jump on him.

Blick
03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I have no clue what we're going to do. I really, really hope we can trade down.

I would take Brown or Crabtree.

Mecca
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
If Michael Crabtree played for Florida State I wonder if anyone would even mention him.

Brock
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
If Michael Crabtree played for Florida State I wonder if anyone would even mention him.

I wonder if anybody would mention him if he played for Nebraska. It makes about as much sense.

Coogs
03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

:shrug: I have no idea. I am not real thrilled with any of the possible picks for us at #3 right now outside of a QB. And that includes having Cassel on board. I don't expect us to go that route at all.

And I know we went 'round and 'round last year with the discussion on selecting Clady. I use the same logic as last season. Crabtree's name is being tossed around at the top of the draft for a reason. Not saying he would be my choice, but I could see where he could be a pick for us as well.

Darth CarlSatan
03-16-2009, 02:54 PM

ROFL

KCtotheSB
03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Curry or trade down.

Count Alex's Losses
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Could Orakpo play 3-4 OLB?

soundmind
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Just a thought....purely in an attempt to maximize his pass rush abilities.

bdeg
03-16-2009, 03:39 PM

Good chance he will at first since he's so bad against the run at this point. I don't think he's quick enough to be an impact pass rusher. I think he'll have a Gholston-like first season and eventually end up in a 4-3.

Mecca
03-16-2009, 03:50 PM
The real top level 3-4 pass rushing prospect from Texas is Sergio Kindle not Brian Orakpo.

DaneMcCloud
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM

This?

:D

jAZ
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't know what I'm talking about; I like BJ Raji.

Mr. Krab
03-16-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know what I'm talking about; I like BJ Raji.
You just like it that he first name is "BJ". :D