PDA

View Full Version : Football Life After Cutler article. What do KC fans think of the possibilities mentioned here?

vailpass
03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
And let me give a big "Hell No" to the Leinhart suggestion..

It's time to ask the question . . . What if Cutler walks?

By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Happy trails, Jay Cutler. Have a nice life. Here are three quarterbacks who could make the Broncos a better football team when you're gone:

1) Matthew Stafford, Georgia Bulldogs

2) Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns

3) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

Let's make a deal.

Enough already with the chest- beating, turf-marking and belly- aching in Broncosland.

Tell Cutler to turn in his Denver uniform.

As soon as Broncos owner Pat Bowlen stops pulling out his hair, coach Josh McDaniels ceases running around with his diapers on fire and we talk chief operating officer Joe Ellis down from the ledge of those empty luxury boxes in the stadium, maybe this team can get on with the real business at hand.

The Broncos need to make the best possible trade to get Cutler out of Denver with a deal that also moves the team closer to Super Bowl contention.

Aren't tough chores why Bowlen employs Brian Xanders to be a general manager?

Swap Cutler to Detroit for the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft and the Broncos could select Stafford, the quarterback that Tim Tebow, Troy Smith and recent Heisman Trophy frauds can only hope to be when they grow up.

In what figures to be a rebuilding season for the Broncos, Chris Simms could keep the huddle warm until the 6-foot-3, 237- pound Stafford is ready to take the controls.

Or Broncos management might try engaging Cleveland in negotiations to give Quinn a fresh start in Denver, giving the Broncos a young player tutored by Charlie Weis at Notre Dame on the finer points of impersonating Tom Brady.

And we all know McDaniels is hot for anything with any connection to the Patriots label. New England's Matt Cassel threw for 185 yards and three touchdowns last season against Denver, not any better than the 239 yards and two TDs that Quinn dropped on a lousy Broncos defense.

Want to pursue a blockbuster that would allow marquee quarterbacks to change hot seats? Maybe Bowlen cannot get Cutler to return his calls,

Brady Quinn: Browns quarterback could use a fresh start. but here's betting Cowboys honcho Jerry Jones, who never met a screaming headline he didn't like, would pick up the phone.
Bowlen and Jones can discuss two fun facts that might surprise you about the rifle-armed Romo: Jessica Simpson loves him more than many frustrated fans in Big D do, and his salary cap number of $3.5 million in 2008 was not outrageous.

If the answer is no from Detroit, Cleveland and Dallas, then there would remain 28 teams in the NFL directory for the Broncos to contact.

How about cutting a deal for veteran Chad Pennington, who went from the waiver wire to MVP candidate in Miami in the span of a single season?

The Broncos could swap Cutler for defensive help, then use their own draft choice at No. 12 in the first round, or move up a handful of slots, if need be, to land Southern California quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The point is: Denver's trade options for Cutler are limited only by the skill and imagination of McDaniels and Xanders.

Does a franchise that has spent a decade stumbling and bumbling its way to mediocrity really think Cutler is the only way back to elite status in the NFL?

Meaning no disrespect to his bad haircut or worse attitude, but it should be far from impossible to find a passer who has won as many NFL playoff games as the zero Cutler has with the Broncos.

The Broncos are in immediate need of a quarterback who wants to be here, because this job is way too tough and political for an oversensitive soul (see: Griese, Brian) or a rogue who doesn't need the hassle (see: Plummer, Jake).
When McDaniels called roll Monday during a team meeting, Cutler was absent. Guess he had something better to do. Like baking cookies for the open house on that 7,500-square- foot dud of a bachelor pad in the 'burbs he's trying to sell.

While the Rocky Mountains did not crumble in the team's test of life after Cutler, there are folks in authority at Dove Valley holding out hope Kid McD and Jay-C can sneak off alone, drink a few beers, duke it out, pretend to respect each other and proclaim everything is hunky-dory.

Why try living a lie?

This relationship has stopped making sense. After attempting to trade Cutler behind his back, McDaniels now wants to keep the disgruntled quarterback against his will. Offended the Broncos would entertain shipping him out of town, Cutler now demands departure papers.

What more proof does anyone need that a coach and quarterback are at cross purposes and don't see eye to eye?

There is no time like a crisis to find a big opportunity.

This is a crisis that will tell us if McDaniels and Xanders are fit to run a pro football team.

www.denverpost.com

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
You should do everything in your power to get Stafford.

keg in kc
03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
You should do everything in your power to get Stafford.Yeah.

Buehler445
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Lots of CRAZY shit that probably won't happen. I'd say your best bet is Detroit. And wouldn't it be a little bit of retribution to deal him to DETROIT the mother of all cess pools that aren't located in Oakland?

That being said, I HATE THE IDEA. You should sell your draft to Parcells for Pennington.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
03-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Lots of CRAZY shit that probably won't happen. I'd say your best bet is Detroit. And wouldn't it be a little bit of retribution to deal him to DETROIT the mother of all cess pools that aren't located in Oakland?

That being said, I HATE THE IDEA. You should sell your draft to Parcells for Pennington.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah a lot of pie-in-the-sky stuff but I do agree when the author says the possibilities are only capped by the GMs level of creativity.
I like JC and am not out to punish him but yeah, Detroit would be a definite "message" trade. Kinda' like a carp wrapped in a newspaper to anyone else thinking of making trouble.

vailpass
03-17-2009, 02:51 PM

So Hamas & Keg think Stafford is going to be a bust.
Got it.

Crush
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
This is dedicated to the Donkeys. Don't stop crying, because your tears are delicious.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYbqF9BaW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OvYbqF9BaW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Darth CarlSatan
03-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Got it.

He'll want to play for you. He idolizes, and may possibly be related to, John Elway.

Buehler445
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah a lot of pie-in-the-sky stuff but I do agree when the author says the possibilities are only capped by the GMs level of creativity.
I like JC and am not out to punish him but yeah, Detroit would be a definite "message" trade. Kinda' like a carp wrapped in a newspaper to anyone else thinking of making trouble.

It all depends on what you get for Cutler. If you can get somewhere near his worth, you can really make some noise with lots of picks. But if you have to take it in the shorts to get him off the roster, your options may be dramatically reduced.
Posted via Mobile Device

vailpass
03-17-2009, 03:19 PM
It all depends on what you get for Cutler. If you can get somewhere near his worth, you can really make some noise with lots of picks. But if you have to take it in the shorts to get him off the roster, your options may be dramatically reduced.
Posted via Mobile Device

The guy is under contract for three years, the majority of the $ he can make is incentive driven based on PT and stats.
Denver does not have to make a trade unless it is a good one.
Whether the dynamic duo of McKid and Xanadu know this is another story.

vailpass
03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
This is dedicated to the Donkeys. Don't stop crying, because your tears are delicious.>

:D Savor the flavor, it won't last forever.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
:D Savor the flavor, it won't last forever.

Perhaps not, but for the first time in a long time, I like the Chiefs whole staff better than the Broncos. For the last few years, I thought Shanny was over his head as a GM.... but now it appears the whole organization is.

Rain Man
03-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, we don't have Huard any more to dangle as trade bait.

Wait. Croyle! What's Croyle up to now?

wild1
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
maybe Steve Beuerlein is available

bowener
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM

178 lbs of twisted shit and knee braces.

keg in kc
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Got it.No. If he ends up being there at 3 it's going to be a tough draft to stomach. Hopefully Cassel does more than I expect.

bowener
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Im still holding out hope that we trade MC for Detroits #20 in the first round. Allowing us to take whatever QB we want at #3, and a stud D player at #20.

But, I am guessing that Pioli and Haley do not want to wait to win, and we will keep MC.

Simply Red
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Told you all this a long, long time ago and got flamed saying that, Croyle wasn't even really a good college QB and very fragile, too skinny.

chiefs1111
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM

This

chiefs1111
03-17-2009, 04:52 PM

hmmm,maybe we can get a bag of footballs for him???

vailpass
03-17-2009, 04:54 PM
hmmm,maybe we can get a bag of footballs for him???

Would Croyle be willing to wear a Cassell mask and endure the unatural attentions of a certain boyish coach?
If so I think I may have a buyer for you.

Darth CarlSatan
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM

ROFL:LOL:LMAOROFL

StcChief
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Perhaps not, but for the first time in a long time, I like the Chiefs whole staff better than the Broncos. For the last few years, I thought Shanny was over his head as a GM.... but now it appears the whole organization is.and isn't that comforting knowing the Donxs are just like any organization and can be easily destroyed with a few FUs and draft errors etc.

Mile High Mania
03-18-2009, 04:18 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11936913