PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Evan Bayh doin what Hillary should have done..

memyselfI
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
I predicted that the opportunity would be presented for someone to step up and become the loyal opposition within the Democratic party and challenge Oprompter but I doubted that anyone would have the testicular fortitude to do so. I thought it would be a great opportunity for Hillary Clinton but was told that BO was going to be too popular and this would be a disaster for her political career.

Well, meek and meager Evan Bayh has decided to take this role on and has forged a group of 15 fellow Democrats who are willing to stand up to the president and let the chips fall where they may. Kudos to him and his group and I wish them the success that could have been Hillary Clinton's if she had not taken the chicken shit way out.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2009/03/bayh_an_emerging_senate_powerb.html?wprss=thefix

Bayh's Centrist Gambit

Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh has emerged as a leading Democratic critic of President Obama. AP Photo by Alex Brandon

Evan Bayh's announcement this morning on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" that he and 14 other Democratic senators had begun to meet weekly to discuss ways in which the moderate/centrist wing of the party could ensure its voice is better heard by the White House and Senate leadership is the latest example of the Indiana Democrat's increased willingness to critique -- and tweak -- the Obama administration.

"I can understand why there is a desire for unanimity," said Bayh in an interview with the Fix this afternoon. "But a certain amount of policy debate usually leads to better outcomes."

A quick examination of the early days of the Obama administration reveals that Bayh has backed up that rhetoric with action.

He was one of just three Senate Democrats who voted against the $410 billion omnibus spending bill and he urged President Obama to veto the bill in a high profile op-ed in the Wall Street Journal. (Obama did not.) Bayh also has expressed doubts about the amount of money dedicated to health care reform and climate change in the president's budget, calling for an emphasis on lowering costs rather than simply spending more.

Bayh's actions have caused some grumbling -- privately, of course -- among some in the White House who view his freelancing as less than helpful in seeking to push Obama's legislative agenda through Congress.

"One hundred percent agreement is an unrealistic standard," Bayh said of his critics, adding that anyone who marches lockstep with someone else "has abdicated either his brain or his backbone or both."

Bayh's middle of the road approach is in character for the Indiana Democrat who has built a political career on being a voice of moderation. But, Bayh's willingness to cross swords with the administration is notable since he was one of the two finalists to be Obama's vice presidential choice -- eventually losing out to his one-time colleague Joe Biden.

During the veepstakes, Bayh allies were quick to dispute the notion that he was a careful centrist -- noting that he had voted against the nomination of Samuel Alito and John Roberts for the Supreme Court and largely renounced his initial vocal support for the war in Iraq.

In truth, however, it's was always clear that Bayh felt more comfortable in the middle of the road than driving himself into any ideological ditch.

Neutral observers have offered up any number of reasons for Bayh's ramped-up critique of the Obama administration.

Sylvia Smith, the Washington editor of the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette, ascribes the change to the fact that Bayh will stand for reelection in 2010 in a state that, despite going for Obama in 2008, remains conservative-minded at its core.

Writes Smith:

"Bayh is up for re-election next year. After years of courting the liberal wing of his party, which plays an important role in presidential nominations, Bayh has some home-state image restoration to address."

Smith also sees evidence of Bayh's broader (read: national) ambitions in his attempt to emerge as the leading voice of Senate Democratic moderates. "If the economy doesn't improve and Obama's popularity tanks, Democrats may be in the market for a nominee whose fiscal conservatism is well established," she writes. "If Obama isn't ready for replacement in four years ... well, 2016 will come around soon enough."

From our perspective, it's hard to see Bayh losing his Senate seat in 2010 barring some sort of major unforeseen development. National Republicans made some noise earlier this year about targeting Bayh but his massive bank account (nearly $11 million cash on hand at the end of 2008) and his continued popularity in the Hoosier State have likely convinced them otherwise.

Bayh's attempt then to become not just the leader of Senate Democratic moderates but also someone willing to speak out against his party's president seems more aimed at bolstering his national credentials than anything else. That doesn't mean Bayh is positioning himself for a presidential run down the line (he may be but isn't necessarily doing so) but rather that he wants to ensure that when an alternate Democratic perspective is needed, he is the one who gets the call.

banyon
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Ooh, another play on Obama's name "Oprompter"! The height of comic genius indeed. Will your razor sharp wit never tire?

memyselfI
03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Ooh, another play on Obama's name "Oprompter"! The height of comic genius indeed. Will your razor sharp wit never tire?

Yeah, around the time you stop bending over and sticking your ass in the air for Obummer.

Cannibal
03-18-2009, 03:31 PM

She's a f()ckin moronic twaaaat.

petegz28
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Obama does need to do a better job of shunning the Pelosi's and listening to the moderates on both sides.

oldandslow
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Denise, do you consider yourself a centrist??? Since when.

Obama has put forth some of the most liberal positions of any president since FDR and you rail against them. I understand that you don't like the man...but still, what do you hate about his policy so far?

***SPRAYER
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, around the time you stop bending over and sticking your ass in the air for Obummer.

ROFL

memyselfI
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Denise, do you consider yourself a centrist??? Since when.

Obama has put forth some of the most liberal positions of any president since FDR and you rail against them. I understand that you don't like the man...but still, what do you hate about his policy so far?

No, I'm not a centrist but I argued the prudent way to move forward would be a centrist agenda because any pendulum swing to swiftly and drastically the opposite way from what we had before would end up swinging back to where we started...

banyon
03-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Oh, yes, what a glorious comeback! With all the class and wit of Dorothy Parker in her prime. You really should consider a second career in satirical literature.

Chief Henry
03-18-2009, 03:53 PM

I'm thinking of a song right now.

Azz up - head down thats the way we like to F___ !

SNR
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Ooh, another play on Obama's name "Oprompter"! The height of comic genius indeed. Will your razor sharp wit never tire?I know you don't like Denise, but I thought you supported this kind of stuff that Bayh was pushing for? Conrad's been in this camp all along, but Bayh's been the vocal one about it, along with the 12 others.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
SAVE.US_DLC

Stewie
03-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Someone in that party needs to step up. The policy they've adhered to so far is the policy of the banks.

banyon
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I know you don't like Denise, but I thought you supported this kind of stuff that Bayh was pushing for? Conrad's been in this camp all along, but Bayh's been the vocal one about it, along with the 12 others.

I don't support opposition just for the sake of opposition. It doesn't sound like he has any specific objection or platform except to be a contrarian because it will politically score points for him back in his home state of Indiana.

I can understand why it appeals to Denise , but it doesn't appeal to me, without a few more principles being involved.

Pioli Zombie
03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Divorce Bill Clinton????

Saul Good
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Maybe if Obama throws a couple hundred billion Evan's way, he will get back in line.

Amnorix
03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
I'd like to chime in just to note how much this is unlike the Republicans, who tend to goose-step behind their chosen leader like a bunch of sheep.

Democrats always have this issue, which is a mixed blessing for us. Whenever I hear Repbulicans talk about how the Democrats always toe the party line, I have to laugh. Bush had to have a 20% approval rating and a massively unpopular war before his cohorts even thought about criticizing him.

stevieray
03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd like to chime in just to note how much this is unlike the Republicans, who tend to goose-step behind their chosen leader like a bunch of sheep.

Democrats always have this issue, which is a mixed blessing for us. Whenever I hear Repbulicans talk about how the Democrats always toe the party line, I have to laugh. Bush had to have a 20% approval rating and a massively unpopular war before his cohorts even thought about criticizing him.

as opposed to the two responses in this thread that deal with the topic, whiile the rest totally show the intolerance, deflection and vileness of the Dems.

SBK
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM

You're smart enough to know both parties are the exact same thing.

Direckshun
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I don't think this is particularly unusual, and it's an interesting development.

I haven't the slightest idea why the Bayh committee, whoever's in it, would feel the desire to remain shrouded from public knowledge.

Direckshun
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Do you think Democratic Party is as homogenous as the Republican Party?

SBK
03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Do you think Democratic Party is as homogenous as the Republican Party?

They're both full of people that crave power. They stand up when it benefits them, they sit down when it benefits them.

I don't believe that our 'reps' stand on principle anymore, they stand for whatever puts money in their pockets or gives them more power within their party or the DC Social scene.

Direckshun
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
They're both full of people that crave power. They stand up when it benefits them, they sit down when it benefits them.

I don't believe that our 'reps' stand on principle anymore, they stand for whatever puts money in their pockets or gives them more power within their party or the DC Social scene.

So, do you think the Democratic Party is just as homogenous as the Republican Party?

BucEyedPea
03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
So, do you think the Democratic Party is just as homogenous as the Republican Party?

Not trying to correct your spelling but do you mean homogeneous?

Now I need to understand what you mean by the question? Do you mean they're composition is all the same or are their wings in the party? Or do you mean their similar to the R party as in a Demopublican party. I think it's more of the latter. I think a lot of Rs in DC are grandstanding right now to pander to their constituencies. I think the Ds do the same thing. I do think both parties have their wings though.

SBK
03-19-2009, 12:26 AM

I think they're the exact same thing.

Amnorix
03-19-2009, 03:11 PM

In many, MANY ways yes. Too many ways.

But I do believe that the Republicans have done a far better job of keeping their peeps "in line" behind the party agenda. This has both positive and negative effects for both them and the country.

The Democrats seem to have far more trouble sticking together to hold to a chosen course. That, too, has both positive and negative effects for them and the country.