PDA

View Full Version : Life Reason # 247 why teaching is hard...

Pages : [1] 2

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:10 AM
We have brought in a speaker to talk to our classes today about Germany during WWII.
She was in high school during Kristallnacht, Hitler's takeover, invasion of Poland, and was there throughout the war. She talks to the class about life as a non-Jew during the war in germany...tells this whole great story.

Finally, she opens up for questions...

First student out of the gate, raising hand high, very proud to be asking...

"What was the first thing you did when you got out of the concentration camp?"

[head slap]

Mr. Flopnuts
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Let me guess, she gave that kid one of these; :spock:

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Let me guess, she gave that kid one of these; :spock:

She is a very polite old lady...absolutely great.

I could've jumped across the room and strangled her... and the thing is, you could tell she was so proud to be asking that question, till she was shot down.

Jilly
03-19-2009, 10:22 AM
what was her answer? did she go get wasted?!

Katipan
03-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I guess I really don't see the omggasp aspect of the question. I mean, it's a kid.

Buehler445
03-19-2009, 10:27 AM
ROFL. That funny.

Its freaking sweet that you got her to come into your class. It's even better that she was a class act.
Posted via Mobile Device

phisherman
03-19-2009, 10:31 AM
ahhh, the younger generation............

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I guess I really don't see the omggasp aspect of the question. I mean, it's a kid.

This woman had just spent 45 minutes or so telling about what she did during the war, talking about having to do things for the war effort, having jewish friends who were taken, etc. She basically laid out her entire life during the war.

Plus, we have spent 4+ weeks talking about concentration camps.

Darth CarlSatan
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
She is a very polite old lady...absolutely great.

I could've jumped across the room and strangled her... and the thing is, you could tell she was so proud to be asking that question, till she was shot down.

Why would you strangle the old lady?

Unless it was a GIRL who asked the question, yes?
Detail, my man. Attention to detail. Things get lost in translation.:thumb:

And the old lady should have run over that little tramp multiple times with her Jazzy.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
This woman had just spent 45 minutes or so telling about what she did during the war, talking about having to do things for the war effort, having jewish friends who were taken, etc. She basically laid out her entire life during the war.

Plus, we have spent 4+ weeks talking about concentration camps.

Which is beautiful and wonderful. We used to take yearly field trips to the Museum of Tolerance. But no one ever talked about life afterwards.

It's the first thing kids ask when soldiers come home...

I get you wanted a poetic question focusing on the harsh pertinent facts and all, but I'm fairly curious as to what she did when she got home too.

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Which is beautiful and wonderful. We used to take yearly field trips to the Museum of Tolerance. But no one ever talked about life afterwards.

It's the first thing kids ask when soldiers come home...

I get you wanted a poetic question focusing on the harsh pertinent facts and all, but I'm fairly curious as to what she did when she got home too.

She was NOT IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP!!!!!

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Why would you strangle the old lady?

Unless it was a GIRL who asked the question, yes?
Detail, my man. Attention to detail. Things get lost in translation.:thumb:

And the old lady should have run over that little tramp multiple times with her Jazzy.

My bad, you are correct.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
She was NOT IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP!!!!!

Oh. I guess I assumed your kids were smarter.

Jilly
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM

He did too apparently.

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Quick, somebody contact a moderator, badgranny hacked mer's account.

Sully
03-19-2009, 10:57 AM

You haven't met this particular student.

excessive
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I teach Composition to college students, and I'm never surprised by their inability to listen and retain information.

I've forewarned a class that a quiz will be given immediately following a lecture, hand fed them the questions and answers, and still have had students unable to respond correctly. My estimation is that only 20-50% of incoming students are truly prepared for college.

SNR
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Time for the negative reinforcement learning aid?

http://www.declarepeace.org.uk/captain/murder_inc/site/pics/orange3.jpg

Demonpenz
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
i am tired of old people, wrecking into my car and not caring, being rude and it being ok because they are "old", they always talk shit about how younger people aren't respectful and don't know how good they have it. tired tired tired.

Sully
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
i am tired of old people, wrecking into my car and not caring, being rude and it being ok because they are "old", they always talk shit about how younger people aren't respectful and don't know how good they have it. tired tired tired.

One of these days you will tire of that avatar, and it will be mine...

ALL MINE!!!!

Demonpenz
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
One of these days you will tire of that avatar, and it will be mine...

ALL MINE!!!!

haha that will confuse too many people

Demonpenz
03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
reminds me of some of the white trash in st joseph in one of my holocaust classes at missouri western. 2 kids said they didn't believe the holocaust happened. I can't remember what happened after that because the teacher spent a zillion years on the holicaust

Lzen
03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Perhaps you should question you teaching skills. :spock:

Kidding. Just kidding. Stupid kid.

Sully
03-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Perhaps you should question you teaching skills. :spock:

Kidding. Just kidding. Stupid kid.

Don't think that's not the first thing that comes to my mind.
The fact that the other 50 kids laughed at her, though, made me feel better.

Demonpenz
03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

laughed at the old person made you feel better.

Sully
03-19-2009, 11:29 AM
laughed at the old person made you feel better.

I keep making the same mistake, it seems.

DJ's left nut
03-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Simple math.

Think of how stupid your average person is, then realize that 1/2 the world is dumber than that.

Well, presuming that the guy in the Subway commercial doesn't blow up the entire equation, in which case you'll have find the median person in the world. I can assure you, that person will also be quite stupid.

It's sad, really.

And had you strangled your student, I certainly wouldn't have convicted you.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM

That's disgusting.

morphius
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm trying to block it from my memory, I may still have a "duh" hand print embedded from my forehead. sigh.

Bearcat2005
03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
We have brought in a speaker to talk to our classes today about Germany during WWII.
She was in high school during Kristallnacht, Hitler's takeover, invasion of Poland, and was there throughout the war. She talks to the class about life as a non-Jew during the war in germany...tells this whole great story.

[head slap]

I can relate I am a Social Studies teacher and I swear some of the questions I get after I just explained the topic at hand makes you want to pull your hair out.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm trying to block it from my memory, I may still have a "duh" hand print embedded from my forehead. sigh.

Do I have to beat her up to fix this?

Lzen
03-19-2009, 12:02 PM

No, really. I was just kidding. I'm sure you're a fine teacher. Some kids just don't want to become more educated. Perhaps the kid has ADD?

Katipan
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
I bet she's real eager to raise her hand again after everyone laughed at her.

Delano
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I bet she's real eager to raise her hand again after everyone laughed at her.

Natural selection.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
The world will always need strippers.

King_Chief_Fan
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
you know what they say:

those who can: do
Those who can't: teach
Those who can't teach: teach gym.

j/k teaching is no picnic....my wife is one.

CrazyPhuD
03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
SO what's the over/under on that student having three kids before she leaves middle school?

Delano
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, in all fairness, the old lady did tell that stupid joke about her uncle dying in a concentration camp (fell off the guard tower).

Maybe that led to the confusion.

Hound333
03-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I feel your pain. I was having the students watch a movie before break that had to do with family/friend interactions (health class). They were going to write and essay about 3 characters during the movie and how they interacted with the main character. I spent 15 minutes explaining how this was NOT a summary of the movie. I think I wrote it on the board in big bold letters and repeated it many times, making them say it back to me at least twice.

The first question I got after all that was still "Sooo do we just sum up the movie?"

It almost made me want to give up teaching.

Demonpenz
03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Oh man i used to love messing with teachers. "Once again demon please don't use pac man as a greater or lesserthan sign

HonestChieffan
03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Education would be a lot easier if you didn't have to listen or read.

Sully
03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I feel your pain. I was having the students watch a movie before break that had to do with family/friend interactions (health class). They were going to write and essay about 3 characters during the movie and how they interacted with the main character. I spent 15 minutes explaining how this was NOT a summary of the movie. I think I wrote it on the board in big bold letters and repeated it many times, making them say it back to me at least twice.

The first question I got after all that was still "Sooo do we just sum up the movie?"

Several weeks back we had the students do a powerpoint over a figure from the 20s. They had a week to do it, and every day while they were doing it, I stressed one thing... Don't read from your slides, they are just extra info. Tell us the story and use the slides for the trivial things.
80% of them read directly.

Count Zarth
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
My sister knows a girl who is in her Master's program for psychology.

They were talking about George W. Bush and she started talking about how he was governor of Texas. Then she said, "I don't know what he did after that, though."

:spock:

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 03:03 PM

They were talking about George W. Bush and she started talking about how he was governor of Texas. Then she said, "I don't know what he did after that, though."Okay, clay, that's a girl you need to go out with.

Stewie
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Hopefully this lady's stories were straight, seeing as how she's elderly.

My sister is an in-home nurse and took care of a lady that spun stories about growing up with Hitler. They lived on the same street in Germany. She explained all the things they did as kids and how he was just another normal kid. My sister was fascinated by this and related all the stories to us. I burst her bubble when I told her Hitler didn't step foot into Germany until he was about 20 years old and the lady was either telling fibs or somehow believed it in her later years.

Skip Towne
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM

They were talking about George W. Bush and she started talking about how he was governor of Texas. Then she said, "I don't know what he did after that, though."

:spock:

Your sister goes to Mizzou doesn't she?

Count Zarth
03-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Your sister goes to Mizzou doesn't she?

She goes to some school in Washington.

stevieray
03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Sully
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
SO what's the over/under on that student having three kids before she leaves middle school?

She's a high school student.

StcChief
03-19-2009, 03:15 PM
ahhh, the younger generation............and these are our future leaders..... :)

morphius
03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Do I have to beat her up to fix this?
luckily I'm suffering from lower than normal oxygen intake and sleep deprivation, I'm sure your post will be forgotten soon enough.

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
luckily I'm suffering from lower than normal oxygen intake and sleep deprivation, I'm sure your post will be forgotten soon enough.I'm certainly not one with a long memory for board blunders.

Say, I wonder if packfan ever figured out what an h-back is?

Hound333
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
and these are our future leaders..... :)

I am not to worried about our future leaders. There are enough of the good students around that I don't worry about it.

I do however worry about the number of students that are destined for either a welfare check or a prison bed. I have at least 10 students that have told me straight up they will never graduate high school and are just waiting until its ok to drop out. These students complain to me about how its soooo terrible that the goverment forces them to go to school when they don't want to.

I just hate that these few kids are lazy and will end up costing me some of my money to pay for their welfare or prison bed. These aren't ghetto kids that grew up knowing nothing else, these are kids from the burbs with parents who went to college.

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I thought I had a great business idea a few years back. I started a summer camp to aid children with short-term memory and retention. I made ads, I recruited, I did everything under the sun to make it successful, but for some reason I could never get any parents to send their kids to Concentration Camp.

It's really hard to figure out customers sometimes.

Sully
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
I thought I had a great business idea a few years back. I started a summer camp to aid children with short-term memory and retention. I made ads, I recruited, I did everything under the sun to make it successful, but for some reason I could never get any parents to send their kids to Concentration Camp.

It's really hard to figure out customers sometimes.

Maybe you shouldve added weight loss as an added benefit. He'll, you could also say work ethic would grow, as well. I can see the sign above the camp, now...

Work makes you free!

stevieray
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
"Learnin about Cuba, havin some food"

NewChief
03-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Several weeks back we had the students do a powerpoint over a figure from the 20s. They had a week to do it, and every day while they were doing it, I stressed one thing... Don't read from your slides, they are just extra info. Tell us the story and use the slides for the trivial things.
80% of them read directly.

Heh. They have no idea of any other way to do a powerpoint. It's sad, really. What's even sadder, though, is to sit through an adult professional's PP presentation who does the exact same shit. I can't tell you how many professional development sessions I've sat through where the presenter makes slides, makes handouts of the slides for everyone there, then spends an hour reading the slides to us. It's miserable and degrading.

morphius
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm certainly not one with a long memory for board blunders.

Say, I wonder if packfan ever figured out what an h-back is?
I'm really just trying to make her feel better, I don't want her to know that every time I see her post I'm just going to be shaking my head and rolling my eyes. 'cause when morphius of all posters gets to that point with you, you know you're pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm really just trying to make her feel better, I don't want her to know that every time I see her post I'm just going to be shaking my head and rolling my eyes. 'cause when morphius of all posters gets to that point with you, you know you're pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

Now I'm just going to kick your ass.

I'm a product of the Los Angeles Unified School District. We learn how to shank at a young age.

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Mer needs to work on her spelling.

It's "kiss your ass" and "We learn how to be skanks at a young age".

Katipan
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Mer needs to work on her spelling.

It's "kiss your ass" and "We learn how to be skanks at a young age".

Awww the chess club is ganging up on me!

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe you shouldve added weight loss as an added benefit. He'll, you could also say work ethic would grow, as well. I can see the sign above the camp, now...

Work makes you free!

That might've been a good idea.

I lost my shirt on that venture. I spent $10,000 on gas grills alone. How can people not like cookouts?

Count Zarth
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I was actually IN the chess club.

I got hit over the head with a board once for winning via timeout on points.

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Awww the chess club is ganging up on me!I think you meant to post that in the "Repressed sexual fantasies" thread.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I was actually IN the chess club.

I got hit over the head with a board once for winning via timeout on points.

I liked Battle Chess. But you're probably too young... :(

And virginlike.

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I remember Battle Chess.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I think you meant to post that in the "Repressed sexual fantasies" thread.

At least you know they're good for 1/2 an hour.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I remember Battle Chess.

Of course you do :)

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
At least you know they're good for 1/2 an hour.When it's with me you only need two minutes
'cause I'm so intense
Two minutes in heaven is better than
One minute in heaven
You say something like "Is that it?"
I know what you're trying to say
You're trying to say "awww yeah, that's it"
Then you tell me you want some more
Well I'm not surprised
But I'm quite sleepy

Mecca
03-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Things like this happen because as a general rule even some very intelligent people are so heavily disinterested in school they don't care to pay attention.

Mostly because school is highly boring an uninteresting.

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
My first question for the lady would have been "who were the people who voted for Hitler?"

Supposedly everyone was just "following orders"inm that country. Yet Hitler, whose views weren't a secret, won election pretty easily.

Just sayin.......;)
Posted via Mobile Device

HC_Chief
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Things like this happen because as a general rule even some very intelligent people are so heavily disinterested in school they don't care to pay attention.

School, like most everything else in life, is what you make it.

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
School, like most everything else in life, is what you make it.

Kind of like Claythans sex life
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 08:44 PM

I never understood this excuse. Even when I had boring teachers, I nearly always found the subject interesting enough that I stayed engaged. If someone has to be spoonfed knowledge by a yippy-ki-yi person juggling in a clown suit, it tells me that they're not overly self-motivated or self-driven. As that kid said in that Robin Williams movie once, "Carpe Diem".

Mecca
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I never understood this excuse. Even when I had boring teachers, I nearly always found the subject interesting enough that I stayed engaged. If someone has to be spoonfed knowledge by a yippy-ki-yi person juggling in a clown suit, it tells me that they're not overly self-motivated or self-driven. As that kid said in that Robin Williams movie once, "Carpe Diem".

There is nothing exciting about Algebra.

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
There is nothing exciting about Algebra.

Hee hee you said bra.
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I never understood this excuse. Even when I had boring teachers, I nearly always found the subject interesting enough that I stayed engaged. Some people just tune out things that don't interest them. I'm that wa

What were we talking about?

Herzig
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Welcome to my world!

Mecca
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Hee hee you said bra.
Posted via Mobile Device

Advanced math is seriously one of the most boring and meaningless things ever taught unless you are one of the rare people that go into a special field.

That's all school is, full of things you'll be taught that you'll never use in life.

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced math is seriously one of the most boring and meaningless things ever taught unless you are one of the rare people that go into a special field.

That's all school is, full of things you'll be taught that you'll never use in life.

My senior year the best decision I ever made was transferring out of calculus and into repertory theatre. Lots of chicks in that class.
Posted via Mobile Device

HC_Chief
03-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Like computers or medicine or engineering.... you know, those highly sought-after positions with high salaries.

That said, I f*cking HATE applied Calculus. Holy shit; find an approximate point in space then curve to the next approximation. Find the derivative of X as it approaches infinity wihtin a matrix.

Nose bleed math.

A vein just burst in my f*cking head math.

Oh my God, how are you so f*cking smart? math.

Jeezuz, I should not have done acid; my GPA is f*cked math.

morphius
03-19-2009, 09:03 PM

I'm a product of the Los Angeles Unified School District. We learn how to shank at a young age.
Oh, I wasn't talking about you sweetie. Of course it wasn't you, it was somebody else.

CoMoChief
03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
I guess its better than one of the kids blurting out "the holocaust was fake" blah blah and you get the picture.

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Algebra is boring? Calculus is boring? What is this, the Barbie forum?

Those are perhaps the most interesting classes of all. It's learning to speak the language of the universe. It's the instruction manual of all things. It's one of the most satisfying things ever to sit down and figure out how much surface area that object has, or how long it'll take that bathtub to empty.

One cannot overestimate how interesting math is.

morphius
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM

You are assuming I'm not already dead inside.

Pioli Zombie
03-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Those are perhaps the most interesting classes of all. It's learning to speak the language of the universe. It's the instruction manual of all things. It's one of the most satisfying things ever to sit down and figure out how much surface area that object has, or how long it'll take that bathtub to empty.

(Drool)
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
03-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Algebra and precal were fine.

I got to calculus and after one semester transferred to psychology.

Maybe having a coach for a teacher was a roadblock.

Anyway, no high-level nerdity for me.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
You are assuming I'm not already dead inside.

You just need a hug.

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
And if you can't do algebra, and a Russian supermodel tells you that she's taking the train west from Pittsburgh at 55 miles per hour to see you, and you're heading east from Kansas City on another train at 40 miles per hour, you would have no idea when and where to make dinner reservations.

Katipan
03-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Barbie's measurements were such an artistic stretch of math that to imply that math is neither important or relevant to Barbie is to say that her shoes and matching accessories weren't integral to her character either.

Sexist pig.

Rain Man
03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Barbie's measurements were such an artistic stretch of math that to imply that math is neither important or relevant to Barbie is to say that her shoes and matching accessories weren't integral to her character either.

Sexist pig.

Hey, don't blame me. Barbie is the one who said "Math is hard!"

cdcox
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Sexist pig.

You can find all kinds of interesting places on Barbie (and real life females) by finding the places where the multidimensional first and second derivatives are equal to zero.

DeezNutz
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
You can find all kinds of interesting places on Barbie (and real life females) by finding the places where the multidimensional first and second derivatives are equal to zero.

Somewhere, there's a female nerd in desperate need of a ShamWow!

keg in kc
03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Math isn't hard. Just really, really boring.

Earthling
03-20-2009, 12:42 AM
i am tired of old people, wrecking into my car and not caring

And just where do ya park now ya young whipper snapper...Not that I care. :D

mikey23545
03-20-2009, 05:54 AM

This confirms everything I ever suspected about you.

Learning how to learn is never a waste of time, but then the world will always need telemarketers and bulletin board geniuses.

Katipan
03-20-2009, 06:19 AM

Or you can just roll her in flour.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Teaching is hard when the teachers fail to use proper English (We have brought in). I know, I know, it is just a discussion forum and you typed the message in a hurry. I imagine your student blurted out her comment in a "hurry" as well.

Apparently, your long discussions (no doubt boring) about WWII failed to reach your student effectively. Perhaps you concentrated on historic details more than the "human factor" of mankind's cruelty to others. "Props" for bringing in the guest speaker, however.

Perhaps you should consider that your student was at least interested enough to ASK a question? That interest demonstrates a level of curiosity and SOME thirst for knowledge. Instead of ridiculing your student's blunder, you may want to consider how you failed to reach the student?

I am left wondering if your "guest speaker" collaborated with the Nazis party in any way? Was she knowledgeable of the atrocities being committed? Did she sell herself cheap to Russian troops to receive better treatment? History is all too often "sanitized" to hide the reality of unpleasant events. Perhaps it was YOU the instructor who failed to ask the proper questions?

[head slap]

Sully
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Teaching is hard when the teachers fail to use proper English (We have brought in). I know, I know, it is just a discussion forum and you typed the message in a hurry. I imagine your student blurted out her comment in a "hurry" as well.

Poor English vs. A show of complete lack of listening.

Same. Exact. Thing.

Apparently, your long discussions (no doubt boring) about WWII failed to reach your student effectively. Perhaps you concentrated on historic details more than the "human factor" of mankind's cruelty to others. "Props" for bringing in the guest speaker, however.

Lots of assumptions, there. But it's clear you haven't been in my classroom. It's clear you don't know what my lesson plans look like, or the time I spend putting them together to ensure dynamic, engaging, and diverse activities. It's clear you haven't seen the lengths I've gone to to reach to all my students based on their learning needs, rather than a 1950s view of "I teach it and you learn it... period!" teaching. Perhaps your poor classroom experiences shouldn't be used to judge a teacher you know little to nothing about.

Perhaps you should consider that your student was at least interested enough to ASK a question? That interest demonstrates a level of curiosity and SOME thirst for knowledge. Instead of ridiculing your student's blunder, you may want to consider how you failed to reach the student?

I mentioned earlier in this thread that was the first thought to come to my mind, as it would be for any good teacher. She wasn't "interested enough to ask a question." If she were "interested enough" she would have easily heard that the woman was never in a concentration camp. She was "interested enough" to try and gain cheap brownie points and show off, and got burned for it.

I am left wondering if your "guest speaker" collaborated with the Nazis party in any way? Was she knowledgeable of the atrocities being committed? Did she sell herself cheap to Russian troops to receive better treatment? History is all too often "sanitized" to hide the reality of unpleasant events. Perhaps it was YOU the instructor who failed to ask the proper questions?

She was a part of the Nazi Youth, worked on farms to support the wars (supposedly to escape arrest) and her father joined the Nazi party (supposedly to ensure his career, pre-war). She was asked and answered that the majority of the population, including her, had no knowledge of concentration camps till after the war. She was asked, and answered, if she actually hoped her home country was going to lose the war (she didn't hope they would, but knew they would once they invaded Russia).
But, no, as an instructor (and hopefully as a student) I'm not going to condone asking a lady who has donated her time to us if she was a whore. I guess I'm just polite in that way.

ROFL

Comanche
03-20-2009, 07:27 AM
So, you played a movie about "family/friend interactions in a HEALTH CLASS? What does family/friend interactions have to do with personal hygiene, diet, exercise and other "health" issues? Perhaps you SHOULD "give up teaching!" I know, I know, the movie was all about tolerance for those who make alternative "life choices", correct? I thought schools only taught birth control in "health class" these days?

Crush
03-20-2009, 07:28 AM

I smell troll.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Same. Exact. Thing.

Lots of assumptions, there. But it's clear you haven't been in my classroom. It's clear you don't know what my lesson plans look like, or the time I spend putting them together to ensure dynamic, engaging, and diverse activities. It's clear you haven't seen the lengths I've gone to to reach to all my students based on their learning needs, rather than a 1950s view of "I teach it and you learn it... period!" teaching. Perhaps your poor classroom experiences shouldn't be used to judge a teacher you know little to nothing about.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that was the first thought to come to my mind, as it would be for any good teacher. She wasn't "interested enough to ask a question." If she were "interested enough" she would have easily heard that the woman was never in a concentration camp. She was "interested enough" to try and gain cheap brownie points and show off, and got burned for it.

She was a part of the Nazi Youth, worked on farms to support the wars (supposedly to escape arrest) and her father joined the Nazi party (supposedly to ensure his career, pre-war). She was asked and answered that the majority of the population, including her, had no knowledge of concentration camps till after the war. She was asked, and answered, if she actually hoped her home country was going to lose the war (she didn't hope they would, but knew they would once they invaded Russia).
But, no, as an instructor (and hopefully as a student) I'm not going to condone asking a lady who has donated her time to us if she was a whore. I guess I'm just polite in that way.

ROFL

:hmmm:

Mecca
03-20-2009, 07:37 AM
This confirms everything I ever suspected about you.

Learning how to learn is never a waste of time, but then the world will always need telemarketers and bulletin board geniuses.

Yes because I said math is uninteresting.

Skip Towne
03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Yes because I said math is uninteresting.

You did poorly in school didn't you?

Mecca
03-20-2009, 07:46 AM
You did poorly in school didn't you?

Depends on the subject.....I always did well in history because I found it interest, Math not so much.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 08:07 AM
"She was asked and answered that the majority of the population, including her, had no knowledge of concentration camps till after the war."

I recommend you read the book "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer. In the book, Speer basically gave the same answer, that he had "no knowledge." Speer claimed no knowledge despite being in charge of the Nazis munition factories using forced labor. Please. "No knowledge" is the standard answer given by German citizens. You should also read "I Will Bear Witness" by Victor Klemperer. Once you read that book you will clearly understand that is was absolutely impossible for German citizens to "have no knowledge."

"gain cheap brownie points and show off, and got burned for it"

Hmmm interesting comments. How exactly did she "get burned for it?" Was she ridiculed before the entire class for her question? Why did she believe "getting brownie points" was a worthwhile endeavor in your class? Granted, she should have listened more closely. No doubt her eyes glazed over as she was getting fed the load of BS from the former Hitler youth who "had no knowledge." Obviously, your student DID retain the concept of "concentration camps."

"the lengths I've gone to to reach to all my students based on their learning needs"

Please. Obviously, you have at least one student who misunderstood a critical element of the "lesson plan" and was "burned" for her mistake.

"asking a lady who has donated her time to us if she was a whore"
She probably was no "lady" during the war! An educated instructor such as yourself could ask in a diplomatic way if she felt pressured to collaborate with the Nazi party or the Russian military. I realize that you would not want to offend a likely former member of the Hitler youth by using the word "whore!"

Same. Exact. Thing.

ROFL

phisherman
03-20-2009, 08:08 AM
antifreeze is in order

Sully
03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
"She was asked and answered that the majority of the population, including her, had no knowledge of concentration camps till after the war."

I recommend you read the book "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer. In the book, Speer basically gave the same answer, that he had "no knowledge." Speer claimed no knowledge despite being in charge of the Nazis munition factories using forced labor. Please. "No knowledge" is the standard answer given by German citizens. You should also read "I Will Bear Witness" by Victor Klemperer. Once you read that book you will clearly understand that is was absolutely impossible for German citizens to "have no knowledge."

"gain cheap brownie points and show off, and got burned for it"

Hmmm interesting comments. How exactly did she "get burned for it?" Was she ridiculed before the entire class for her question? Why did she believe "getting brownie points" was a worthwhile endeavor in your class? Granted, she should have listened more closely. No doubt her eyes glazed over as she was getting fed the load of BS from the former Hitler youth who "had no knowledge." Obviously, your student DID retain the concept of "concentration camps."

"the lengths I've gone to to reach to all my students based on their learning needs"

Please. Obviously, you have at least one student who misunderstood a critical element of the "lesson plan" and was "burned" for her mistake.

"asking a lady who has donated her time to us if she was a whore"
She probably was no "lady" during the war! An educated instructor such as yourself could ask in a diplomatic way if she felt pressured to collaborate with the Nazi party or the Russian military. I realize that you would not want to offend a likely former member of the Hitler youth by using the word "whore!"

ROFL

You are wrong on nearly every level in your criticisms and assumptions, here.
I'm sorry some teacher pissed you off.

It's not your fault...it's not your fault...it's not your fault...

Mecca
03-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Some teachers are complete turds, I always wonder why they went into the profession to say things like "I'm only going to explain this once if you don't get it that's your problem" since I figured it was you know their job to teach?

Sully
03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Some teachers are complete turds, I always wonder why they went into the profession to say things like "I'm only going to explain this once if you don't get it that's your problem" since I figured it was you know their job to teach?

TONS of teachersa re turds...TONS.

Most of them will be retiring soon.

I graduated HS in 1994. I can't believe how much has changed just since then. It's a completely different animal, and, IMO much more satisfying for both the student and the instructor.

Of course, standardized tessts fight against those gains.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
antifreeze is in order

Advise to "chill" from the person with the Friedrich Nietzsche avatar. For those who don't know, Nietzsche's philosophical writings were used by Hitler and the Nazis party to promote the notion of Aryan racial superiority.

phisherman
03-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Advise to "chill" from the person with the Friedrich Nietzsche avatar. For those who don't know, Nietzsche's philosophical writings were used by Hitler and the Nazis party to promote the notion of Aryan racial superiority.

repost.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
ROFL

You are wrong on nearly every level in your criticisms and assumptions, here.
I'm sorry some teacher pissed you off.

It's not your fault...it's not your fault...it's not your fault...

"some teacher pissed you off"

I only get "pissed off" when teachers have a condescending attitude toward the children they are PAID to teach.

phisherman
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
i guess the irony of both my post and my avatar is lost on you.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
i guess the irony of both my post and my avatar is lost on you.

No problem. Just pulling your chain. :D

Sully
03-20-2009, 08:53 AM
"some teacher pissed you off"

I only get "pissed off" when teachers have a condescending attitude toward the children they are PAID to teach.

Let's try some higher level thinking...

Compare and contrast how people who run into make arguments with assumptions about things do with those who use facts.

Predict the results when character "A" assumes things about character "B"'s actions with no knowledge of said actions.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Seriously, I do understand that teachers must sometimes deal with difficult students. I GET THAT. Nevertheless, for every "turd" teacher retiring, a university somewhere is cranking out a replacement. I am curious to hear how you believe things have changed so much since your graduated HS in 1994? Also, your statement sounds a bit age discriminatory. . .containing the belief that the predominant number of teachers who are "turds" are near retirement age.

TONS of teachersa re turds...TONS.

Most of them will be retiring soon.

I graduated HS in 1994. I can't believe how much has changed just since then. It's a completely different animal, and, IMO much more satisfying for both the student and the instructor.

Of course, standardized tessts fight against those gains.

Comanche
03-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Character "A" can only work with case history "facts" provided to him by Character "B"
Character "B" avoids substantive arguments, documented with primary source reference materials, by claiming "assumptions" were made
Character "A" made no assumptions.

Let's try some higher level thinking...

Compare and contrast how people who run into make arguments with assumptions about things do with those who use facts.

Predict the results when character "A" assumes things about character "B"'s actions with no knowledge of said actions.

Sully
03-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Character "A" can only work with case history "facts" provided to him by Character "B"

Good.
Now, what is a good way to find out information you are assuming?

Character "B" avoids substantive arguments, documented with primary source reference materials, by claiming "assumptions" were made
Character "A" made no assumptions.

Sorry...incorrect. But I appreciate the effort.

What of substance have I "avoided?"

Comanche
03-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Hasn't the bell sounded for the end of your "prep" period? Perhaps you are responding to this while monitoring study hall (now, THAT is an "assumption").

Responding to purported "facts" supplied by you is not an "assumption", other than perhaps "assuming" you have told the truth about the entire scenario.

"What of substance have I "avoided?"
You avoided every comment I made by saying I made incorrect "assumptions." Your comment that the student was "burned", for example, was a statement of fact made by you and was not an "assumption" on my part. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. . .! Otherwise, you must remain after class!
:LOL:

Good.
Now, what is a good way to find out information you are assuming?

Sorry...incorrect. But I appreciate the effort.

What of substance have I "avoided?"

Sully
03-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Hasn't the bell sounded for the end of your "prep" period? Perhaps you are responding to this while monitoring study hall (now, THAT is an "assumption").

Responding to purported "facts" supplied by you is not an "assumption", other than perhaps "assuming" you have told the truth about the entire scenario.

"What of substance have I "avoided?"
You avoided every comment I made by saying I made incorrect "assumptions." Your comment that the student was "burned", for example, was a statement of fact made by you and was not an "assumption" on my part. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. . .! Otherwise, you must remain after class!
:LOL:

You assumed I acted toward the student with a "condescending attitude."
You have assumed that we teachers and 99% of the other students didn't ask very appropriate questions.
You have assumed I have stood and given long boring lectures to students.
You assumed that this lady was, basically, a Nazi whore feeding these students a line of bs.
You assumed you knew anything that you knew this student's motivation in asking the question.
You assumed "got burned" meant something different than what has been described several times in this thread.

Basically, every chance you had to make a worst-case assumption, you have jumped all over. If you were truly interested in the discussion, you could ask, rather than make those assumptions.

I have not avoided every comment you have made. I have given in depth posts addressing everything that wasn't an angry reach by you. Those that were pure assumption, on your part, were laughed at and passed by. Feel free to repost any pertinent questions you feel I've neglected to answer.

Sully
03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Also, your statement sounds a bit age discriminatory. . .containing the belief that the predominant number of teachers who are "turds" are near retirement age.

Funny to be complaining about a generalized statement while at the same time saying a woman who grew up in Germany was a Nazi-supporting whore.
Good stuff...really.

ROFL

Chief Henry
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey, don't blame me. Barbie is the one who said "Math is hard!"

Barbie is right. Statistics prove that 3 out of 2 people can't figure :D

Comanche
03-21-2009, 09:38 AM
"You assumed I acted toward the student with a "condescending attitude."
Would you like to explain your comment that your student was "burned" after she asked her question? The FACT that you initiated this thread on a SPORTS FORUM illustrates your condescending attitude toward your student's actions.

"You have assumed that we teachers and 99% of the other students didn't ask very appropriate questions."
I didn't say "teachers" PLURAL didn't ask appropriate questions. . .only YOU as an individual failed to ask appropriate questions of your guest speaker. While you perceive that your student's question was not appropriate it certainly created an interesting "tension" for your guest speaker who shares in the guilt of the WWII atrocities. Your guest speaker is likely "volunteering" to speak to your school group to justify (in her own mind) her role in the historic events and to decrease her guilt feelings by minimizing her role.

Obviously, I did NOT say 99% of the other students "didn't ask very appropriate questions." Please re-read your assignment.

"You have assumed I have stood and given long boring lectures to students."
Facts speak for themselves. Your student (at least in your own mind) has failed to grasp important concepts. It is YOUR JOB as a PAID instructor to develop strategies to reach that student and not to ridicule her on a SPORTS FORUM!

"You assumed that this lady was, basically, a Nazi whore feeding these students a line of bs."
Read the book titles I gave you. You will see that I was not "assuming." The word "whore" was yours, not mine. My word is "colaborator." Besides, if you read your assignment (my comments) carefully, you would realize that I RECOMMENDED that you ASK your guest speaker about her role. Obviously, requesting information has nothing to do with "assuming." Sorry, but today you get an "F" for reading skills.

"You assumed you knew anything that you knew this student's motivation in asking the question."
I know nothing of the student's motivation except the facts YOU provided. Those "facts" include A) She was "motivated" to ask a question. B) She was motivated enough to learn and retain information about "concentration camps". IT IS YOUR JOB AS A PAID INSTRUCTOR TO STIMULATE YOUR STUDENT'S MOTIVATION TO LEARN. If the student, in your mind, currently lacks sufficient motivation to learn a subject YOU ARE TEACHING it is likely a reflection on your teaching skills.

"You assumed "got burned" meant something different than what has been described several times in this thread."
Actually, I have been asking you for an explanation of what you meant by the comment. "Burned" is a colloquial idiom typically meaning that a person received a negative consequence for their actions. Perhaps you would like to explain that negative consequence in more detail?

"Basically, every chance you had to make a worst-case assumption, you have jumped all over. If you were truly interested in the discussion, you could ask, rather than make those assumptions."

Ok, I'll ask. Why did you feel the need to write about this situation on a SPORTS FORUM? It sounds as though you are expressing your own personal frustrations about not being able to reach your students. It sounds as though you would like to place the blame for that failure upon the students instead of your own teaching techniques. You admitted to considering leaving the teaching profession. Typically, decisions like that aren't taken lightly. Obviously, you have been frustrated for some time about your lack of effectiveness as a teacher.

Specifically, I said bringing in the guest speaker was a good idea. It sounds as though at least one student failed to make the correct connection between the recipients of evil (concentration camp victims) and the perpetrators of evil (supporters of Hitler's regime). Your guest speaker sanitized her own role in this historical tableau which only adds to the confusion. The "sanitized" version of your speaker's role in history was obviously boring to at least the one student, as it would have been to me.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE! You can still go back to your students and provide a more complete background of the historical picture! Explain to your students that even ordinary citizens in Germany (like your guest speaker) were culpable for a wide range of cruel acts. It wouldn't hurt for YOU to do a little "homework" and read the books I referenced.

TIME FOR RECESS!!!!!!

You assumed I acted toward the student with a "condescending attitude."
You have assumed that we teachers and 99% of the other students didn't ask very appropriate questions.
You have assumed I have stood and given long boring lectures to students.
You assumed that this lady was, basically, a Nazi whore feeding these students a line of bs.
You assumed you knew anything that you knew this student's motivation in asking the question.
You assumed "got burned" meant something different than what has been described several times in this thread.

Basically, every chance you had to make a worst-case assumption, you have jumped all over. If you were truly interested in the discussion, you could ask, rather than make those assumptions.

I have not avoided every comment you have made. I have given in depth posts addressing everything that wasn't an angry reach by you. Those that were pure assumption, on your part, were laughed at and passed by. Feel free to repost any pertinent questions you feel I've neglected to answer.

Rain Man
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Barbie is right. Statistics prove that 3 out of 2 people can't figure :D

Astounding. That's nearly 80 percent.

Comanche
03-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Again, the word "whore" was yours, not mine. Regardless, the facts you presented indicate she was part of the Nazis program which was not uncommon for the era. Also "again" you have avoided my comment about your age bias towards older instructors by diverting the discussion to an unrelated comment I made in a different context. Why do you feel older teachers are "turds" and should no longer be allowed to teach? Conversely, what makes you think teachers of your generation are BETTER teachers?

Funny to be complaining about a generalized statement while at the same time saying a woman who grew up in Germany was a Nazi-supporting whore.
Good stuff...really.

ROFL

Jenson71
03-21-2009, 10:02 AM
"You assumed you knew anything that you knew this student's motivation in asking the question."
I know nothing of the student's motivation except the facts YOU provided. Those "facts" include A) She was "motivated" to ask a question. B) She was motivated enough to learn and retain information about "concentration camps". IT IS YOUR JOB AS A PAID INSTRUCTOR TO STIMULATE YOUR STUDENT'S MOTIVATION TO LEARN. If the student, in your mind, currently lacks sufficient motivation to learn a subject YOU ARE TEACHING it is likely a reflection on your teaching skills.

Or they just might not care, not pay attention, not think critically, no matter what the teacher does. Some kids don't, and if a teacher spent their whole life worrying about the one who didn't get with the program, they'd never help the other 95% of students. Plus they'd go crazy themselves. I'm not saying don't reach out to them, but don't burden yourself when a student simply can't always connect the dots. It's not your fault.

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:05 AM
"You assumed I acted toward the student with a "condescending attitude."
Would you like to explain your comment that your student was "burned" after she asked her question? The FACT that you initiated this thread on a SPORTS FORUM illustrates your condescending attitude toward your student's actions.

It's funny. I've said several times that the rest of the students laughed at her question. It's a little thing called "natural consequences," which is the best form of classroom management there is.
Also, do I need to explain the word "toward" to you?
You do understand, I hope, that typing something on here, and acting TOWARD someone in real life are two different things...right?

"You have assumed that we teachers and 99% of the other students didn't ask very appropriate questions."
I didn't say "teachers" PLURAL didn't ask appropriate questions. . .only YOU as an individual failed to ask appropriate questions of your guest speaker. While you perceive that your student's question was not appropriate it certainly created an interesting "tension" for your guest speaker who shares in the guilt of the WWII atrocities. Your guest speaker is likely "volunteering" to speak to your school group to justify (in her own mind) her role in the historic events and to decrease her guilt feelings by minimizing her role.

Obviously, I did NOT say 99% of the other students "didn't ask very appropriate questions." Please re-read your assignment.

I stand corrected. You assumed I didn't ask pertinent questions. Still an assumption, still incorrect. I'm not going to ask a woman volunteering her time if she was a whore. Sorry. As for her role in support, she explained it fully and honestly, and was asked many questions about it, by me and other students. So not only was your ASSUMPTION an assumption, it was wrong.

"You have assumed I have stood and given long boring lectures to students."
Facts speak for themselves. Your student (at least in your own mind) has failed to grasp important concepts. It is YOUR JOB as a PAID instructor to develop strategies to reach that student and not to ridicule her on a SPORTS FORUM!

I'm not sure why you think you've even addressed your wrong assumption here. You haven't. Moving the goalposts does not take away your faulty logic.

"You assumed that this lady was, basically, a Nazi whore feeding these students a line of bs."
Read the book titles I gave you. You will see that I was not "assuming." The word "whore" was yours, not mine. My word is "colaborator." Besides, if you read your assignment (my comments) carefully, you would realize that I RECOMMENDED that you ASK your guest speaker about her role. Obviously, requesting information has nothing to do with "assuming." Sorry, but today you get an "F" for reading skills.

Did you or did you not say, She probably was no "lady" during the war! soon after saying we should have asked if she sold her body?

What was it you were saying about reading skills?

Are you under the impression you know this student better than I?
Do you think it possible that after seeing her in class every day. I may know her motivation a little better than you? I explained my interpretation of her motivation, it's dead-on, and you are still flailing with assumptions.

"You assumed "got burned" meant something different than what has been described several times in this thread."
Actually, I have been asking you for an explanation of what you meant by the comment. "Burned" is a colloquial idiom typically meaning that a person received a negative consequence for their actions. Perhaps you would like to explain that negative consequence in more detail?

She recieved a negative consequence. It has been described , now, MANY times in this thread, as well as earlier in this post. I don't know how better to help you without charts and graphs.

"Basically, every chance you had to make a worst-case assumption, you have jumped all over. If you were truly interested in the discussion, you could ask, rather than make those assumptions."

Ok, I'll ask. Why did you feel the need to write about this situation on a SPORTS FORUM? It sounds as though you are expressing your own personal frustrations about not being able to reach your students. It sounds as though you would like to place the blame for that failure upon the students instead of your own teaching techniques.

You may be new and not understand this, but this place is far from being simply a "football message board." People often discuss funny things in their lives, frustrating parts of their lives, etc. People meet and chat over beers. People joke... My post was nothing more than that.
Yes. Students should be responsible for their learning. If a teacher uses strategies designed to reach all students, including widely varied lesson plans and assessments, fun and engaging activities, good classroom management, modeling, etc, then at some point it's up to the student to actually be a student. Again, your assumption is that those things haven't been done, which ultimately is a dumbass assumption.
There are always going to be a few students who are "bored" no matter what you are doing. You will never have a classroom where every student is engaged 100% of the time, unless you have one student, and even then it's going to be less than 100%. So you spend most days trying to change things up so you reach every student. You teach to the visual learners...the tactile learners, etc....
...but at some point, it's up to the students to actually be learners.

You admitted to considering leaving the teaching profession.

No I haven't. Do you think it helps your case to flat-out lie?

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Again, the word "whore" was yours, not mine. Regardless, the facts you presented indicate she was part of the Nazis program which was not uncommon for the era. Also "again" you have avoided my comment about your age bias towards older instructors by diverting the discussion to an unrelated comment I made in a different context. Why do you feel older teachers are "turds" and should no longer be allowed to teach? Conversely, what makes you think teachers of your generation are BETTER teachers?

It is true, I think that more of the older generation of teachers are not as good at creating dynamic and engaging lesson plans as the younger generation.
Yes, you insinuated she was a whore (or wanted us to ask her if she was a whore).
I never said old teachers should not be allowed to teach. Do you think it helps your argument to lie?

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Or they just might not care, not pay attention, not think critically, no matter what the teacher does. Some kids don't, and if a teacher spent their whole life worrying about the one who didn't get with the program, they'd never help the other 95% of students. Plus they'd go crazy themselves. I'm not saying don't reach out to them, but don't burden yourself when a student simply can't always connect the dots. It's not your fault.

Well said.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 11:19 AM
She vas only following orders.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Or they just might not care, not pay attention, not think critically, no matter what the teacher does. Some kids don't, and if a teacher spent their whole life worrying about the one who didn't get with the program, they'd never help the other 95% of students. Plus they'd go crazy themselves.

Well said.
I'm not saying don't reach out to them, but don't burden yourself when a student simply can't always connect the dots. It's not your fault.

You do burden yourself. The best thing about the job is reaching those students. Those are the students you spend your weekend thinking about, coming up with idea after idea to reach them. But, as I said, at some point, it's up to them to be learners.
You can lead a horse to water...

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Next black history month you can maybe bring in to speak an ancestor of a slave owner and ridicule a student who brings up slavery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Next black history month you can maybe bring in to speak an ancestor of a slave owner and ridicule a student who brings up slavery.
Posted via Mobile Device

You clearly didn't understand wht the student asked.
Many students asked her about concentration camps.
Only one, after listening to her story, asked her what she did when she was released from one.

It'd be like listening to Marty Schottenheimer talk about his career, and then asking him what it was like to coach the New York Mets.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 11:37 AM
You clearly didn't understand wht the student asked.
Many students asked her about concentration camps.
Only one, after listening to her story, asked her what she did when she was released from one.

It'd be like listening to Marty Schottenheimer talk about his career, and then asking him what it was like to coach the New York Mets.

I see your point. I guess my point is I'd be less likely to be rolling eyes at a dumb kid than at a former member of the Nazi Youth being given a forum.they should just STFU. As time goes by people seem to forget what the German people freely elected.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
03-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I see your point. I guess my point is I'd be less likely to be rolling eyes at a dumb kid than at a former member of the Nazi Youth being given a forum.they should just STFU. As time goes by people seem to forget what the German people freely elected.
Posted via Mobile Device

This woman wasn't of voting age when Hitler took power.

Do you blame Junior High kids for Obama being elected?

NewChief
03-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Holy shit, dude. The main reason to study history is so we don't repeat it. Understanding the capacity for evil that resides in all humans, especially in situations involving propaganda and group think, is one of the MOST important reasons to study the Holocaust. By bringing this lady into his class, he let his students see that "normal" people were involved in the atrocities of the Nazi Germany, and (hopefully) see learn that they too have the capacity for such.

Sully
03-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Holy shit, dude. The main reason to study history is so we don't repeat it. Understanding the capacity for evil that resides in all humans, especially in situations involving propaganda and group think, is one of the MOST important reasons to study the Holocaust. By bringing this lady into his class, he let his students see that "normal" people were involved in the atrocities of the Nazi Germany, and (hopefully) see learn that they too have the capacity for such.

The great thing about this lady is that she began and ended each discussion by stating how important it is to be informed about political matters, and this is why.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not saying it was a bad thing to bring her in per se, I just don't buy into the "oh we didn't know Hitler was bad and we were just following orders blah blah blah. Ok, so she wasn't of voting age. Her Dad was a Nazi. He wasnt "uninformed"

Sheeesh. Sorry I'm not sympathetic to Nazis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sully
03-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm not saying it was a bad thing to bring her in per se, I just don't buy into the "oh we didn't know Hitler was bad and we were just following orders blah blah blah. Ok, so she wasn't of voting age. Her Dad was a Nazi. He wasnt "uninformed"

Posted via Mobile Device

She never claimed, and I don't believe I've implied she did, that they didn't know that Hitler was bad. She did claim they lived in fear of even speaking out against him in their own home without making sure the windows were closed.

NewChief
03-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I hear you, and sorry if I came off as harsher than I intended. I just read an interesting book by Howard Gardener called The Disciplined Mind on his theories of education. One of the pilot units he discusses is Nazi Germany and examining it, so I was feeling pretty fresh on why it's so important. One of the great points that he makes, and that I think that we all too often lose sight of is that Nazi Germany is NOT a singular occurrence. We have a way of treating it like some horrific abnormality within the course of human history. The fact is that genocide occurs to this day (Rwanda, Bosnia, etc..) and has occurred throughout history. From this, we need to understand that there is something within each of us that has the capacity to give in to the sort of thinking that allows such horrors. By understanding this, we can be more vigilant when the winds of change start to blow society in such a direction. Hopefully, then, we'll make the brave choice and resist.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 06:43 AM
"don't burden yourself when a student simply can't always connect the dots. It's not your fault."

I MIGHT be the teacher's fault. In any case, it is the teacher's JOB to try!

"no matter what the teacher does"

Great teachers find ways to motivate. Granted, there are some students who may be on drugs or have other distractions that make the effort more difficult. Every student has the capacity to learn, however, and it is a cop out for any teacher to dismiss an individual student as "unteachable."

Jilly
03-22-2009, 07:44 AM
"don't burden yourself when a student simply can't always connect the dots. It's not your fault."

Great teachers find ways to motivate. Granted, there are some students who may be on drugs or have other distractions that make the effort more difficult. Every student has the capacity to learn, however, and it is a cop out for any teacher to dismiss an individual student as "unteachable."

who is this guy? seriously?

milkman
03-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Shut the hell up, already.

Hound333
03-22-2009, 09:52 AM
So, you played a movie about "family/friend interactions in a HEALTH CLASS? What does family/friend interactions have to do with personal hygiene, diet, exercise and other "health" issues? Perhaps you SHOULD "give up teaching!" I know, I know, the movie was all about tolerance for those who make alternative "life choices", correct? I thought schools only taught birth control in "health class" these days?

Because Health class has changed in the last 15 years. I teach the Health Triangle. Health is not just the physical side. It is one part of three. The other two sides are the Mental/Emotional and Social. All three make up your health. Dealing with Family and Friend interactions falls under the Social.

Of course I could always give up teaching since I know nothing about it. Or maybe people could realize that there are many different ways to approach subject matter and the way you learned in your school is not the only way. Hell my subject matter sometimes changes between classes. Each class is different and from time to time I need to adjust for the students. What is best for one student is not always best for another.

Hound333
03-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Yes they do. That is what is soooo frustrating about being a teacher. I have students that have told me to my face they are just waiting to drop out. They have no intention of doing any work or even trying to pass because they don't care. I see many of these students everyday and know they could be sooo much more if they tried. Its like talking to a brick wall at times. At some point you have to cut your losses and teach the 20 kids in class that want to pass.

You have no idea how it kills me to watch these kids destroy themselves. Sure some of them might end up making it ok, but the majority will end up in prison or on welfare. It has kept me up more than one night because no matter how many ways I try I cannot reach all of them.

Ultra Peanut
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
So let me get this straight. She's a Jew, and she was Hitler's personal assistant?

Sully
03-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Exactly.

DeezNutz
03-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Exactly.

It's cute that this thread has allowed you to make a new friend on CP.

Sully
03-22-2009, 11:26 AM
It's cute that this thread has allowed you to make a new friend on CP.

ROFL

Bearcat2005
03-22-2009, 11:51 AM

LOL... Are you a teacher? If not your going to educate us on teaching and the moral dilemmas of such?.......okay
99 percent of kids are teachable, however I will tell you something as a teacher myself, there are some kids no matter how hard you bust your butt do not care about school or their academic progress, if it be for reasons in or out of their control. To make such a generalized statement of such demonstrates you lack of understanding. Were you one of the guys that supported NCLB's stance that "100 percent of kids will score proficient by 2012"? Again its nice to say but its not going to happen, not to say we cannot try, but you have to be realistic about the situation in order to appropriately address it. Can teachers do a better job in this country? Absolutely, however so can parents and the community in developing social constructs more conducive to academic progress and concern.

RedNeckRaider
03-22-2009, 12:08 PM
LOL... Are you a teacher? If not your going to educate us on teaching and the moral dilemmas of such?.......okay
99 percent of kids are teachable, however I will tell you something as a teacher myself, there are some kids no matter how hard you bust your butt do not care about school or their academic progress, if it be for reasons in or out of their control. To make such a generalized statement of such demonstrates you lack of understanding. Were you one of the guys that supported NCLB's stance that "100 percent of kids will score proficient by 2012"? Again its nice to say but its not going to happen, not to say we cannot try, but you have to be realistic about the situation in order to appropriately address it. Can teachers do a better job in this country? Absolutely, however so can parents and the community in developing social constructs more conducive to academic progress and concern.

To your avatar "and shepherds we shall be"

Bearcat2005
03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
To your avatar "and shepherds we shall be"

Love that movie! I heard a rumor they were wanting to make another one but imdb.com has nothing on it so far.

RedNeckRaider
03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Love that movie! I heard a rumor they were wanting to make another one but imdb.com has nothing on it so far.

I have a couple Saints t-shirts and every time I sport one at least two people will say something to me about the movie. One of my favorites!

Katipan
03-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Sure they do

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300851/

RedNeckRaider
03-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Sure they do

That is cool and I will watch it, most likely buy it. I do wonder if the can recapture the magic again.

Bearcat2005
03-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Sure they do

You just made my day....the rumor I heard had it titled "all saints day" as well. AWESOME!

Demonpenz
03-22-2009, 02:55 PM
I love the fact that we learn history just so we don't repeat it...what does that say about the whole bush deal from 2000 to 2008? Opps.......history teachers :( mission accomlished :(

Comanche
03-22-2009, 03:44 PM
NO, YOU have a "lack of understanding." 100% percent of "kids" are teachable. It is disturbing that YOU claim to be an educator and believe otherwise. Even children with mental disorders can still learn things. Unless an individual is brain dead he/she can learn. As I said, and you obviously ignored the comment, I admitted that there are students who are difficult to reach for extreme reasons such as drug usage.

As an educator you spend nine months of the year teaching until 3 P.M. and claim that you "bust your butt?" Your day probably includes a "planning period" which you spend in the faculty lounge and you may even cover a study hall. Please. Get over yourself.

" not to say we cannot try"
Well, since you get PAID for "trying" I would say that "yes" you really should try.

Yeah, blame the problems on the parents. The other guy wants to blame the students. Surely the PAID educators should not share in the blame!

Comanche
03-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I DO appreciate your comment. Obviously you do care. A student who listened enough to learn about concentration camps AND raised her hand to ask a question (even though misguided) does not sound to me like a candidate for "cutting your losses."

Yes they do. That is what is soooo frustrating about being a teacher. I have students that have told me to my face they are just waiting to drop out. They have no intention of doing any work or even trying to pass because they don't care. I see many of these students everyday and know they could be sooo much more if they tried. Its like talking to a brick wall at times. At some point you have to cut your losses and teach the 20 kids in class that want to pass.

You have no idea how it kills me to watch these kids destroy themselves. Sure some of them might end up making it ok, but the majority will end up in prison or on welfare. It has kept me up more than one night because no matter how many ways I try I cannot reach all of them.

phisherman
03-22-2009, 03:51 PM
these posts are getting more and more laughable by the minute.

this almost seems TC-esque.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 03:56 PM
"What is best for one student is not always best for another."
So true!

"The other two sides are the Mental/Emotional and Social. "
All important.

" I could always give up teaching since I know nothing about it."
No, it sounds as though you are a CARING educator. That's all I'm saying! Caring teachers should obviously continue in the field.

Because Health class has changed in the last 15 years. I teach the Health Triangle. Health is not just the physical side. It is one part of three. The other two sides are the Mental/Emotional and Social. All three make up your health. Dealing with Family and Friend interactions falls under the Social.

Of course I could always give up teaching since I know nothing about it. Or maybe people could realize that there are many different ways to approach subject matter and the way you learned in your school is not the only way. Hell my subject matter sometimes changes between classes. Each class is different and from time to time I need to adjust for the students. What is best for one student is not always best for another.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Exactly.

I love how people who have never been in a classroom in a professional setting can sit back and type what they think we should do. Every class is different, every student is different and there are some who literally do NOT care.

My biggest worry? "how do you teach give a shit"

because some just DON'T

Comanche
03-22-2009, 03:59 PM
A very "enlightened" comment from you. Is that the best you got? Obviously, you were one of the students abandoned as being "impossible" by your teachers.

Shut the hell up, already.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:03 PM
You comment that I have "never been in a classroom in a professional setting" because. . .?

"there are some who literally do NOT care."
And, obviously, there are teachers who do NOT care!

"how do you teach give a shit"
You start by "giving a shit" yourself!

Exactly.

I love how people who have never been in a classroom in a professional setting can sit back and type what they think we should do. Every class is different, every student is different and there are some who literally do NOT care.

My biggest worry? "how do you teach give a shit"

because some just DON'T

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
ROFL

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Comanche;5601725]NO, YOU have a "lack of understanding." 100% percent of "kids" are teachable. It is disturbing that YOU claim to be an educator and believe otherwise. Even children with mental disorders can still learn things. Unless an individual is brain dead he/she can learn. As I said, and you obviously ignored the comment, I admitted that there are students who are difficult to reach for extreme reasons such as drug usage.

As an educator you spend nine months of the year teaching until 3 P.M. and claim that you "bust your butt?" Your day probably includes a "planning period" which you spend in the faculty lounge and you may even cover a study hall. Please. Get over yourself.

Well, since you get PAID for "trying" I would say that "yes" you really should try.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, this is where you must stop because your ass is truly showing now.

I am in my classroom at 6:30 to prepare for the day. Kids start coming in at 7 Class starts 7:10 I teach 2 periods of my content, then one period of intervention then it is team/professional development time, then plan time which is 41 minutes spent usually doing IEP staffings, talking with other teachers about a specific course of action concerning a student, going to the library to check out resources or sign up for technology use, ect. Then lunch many times spent with students in my room who need to do more work or catch up on things. Next I have 4 more periods of content to teach with the last two periods being STACKED in numbers and most of the disipline needs students. School for students is done at 2:20 Teachers do hall duty (or in my case parking lot duty) till 2:30. Every other Tuesday we have staffing till 3:30 and EVERY Wed. we have PLC till 3:30

I do all my grading and planning and student grouping at home. Usually well into the evening before and after I fix dinner for my family.

9 months hardly...we start Aug 3-8 and end May 29-30 Then it is class time for teacher to keep my highly qualified status.

Until you know of what you speak, STFU Comanche

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:07 PM
"we can be more vigilant when the winds of change start to blow society in such a direction. Hopefully, then, we'll make the brave choice and resist"

GREAT COMMENT!

I hear you, and sorry if I came off as harsher than I intended. I just read an interesting book by Howard Gardener called The Disciplined Mind on his theories of education. One of the pilot units he discusses is Nazi Germany and examining it, so I was feeling pretty fresh on why it's so important. One of the great points that he makes, and that I think that we all too often lose sight of is that Nazi Germany is NOT a singular occurrence. We have a way of treating it like some horrific abnormality within the course of human history. The fact is that genocide occurs to this day (Rwanda, Bosnia, etc..) and has occurred throughout history. From this, we need to understand that there is something within each of us that has the capacity to give in to the sort of thinking that allows such horrors. By understanding this, we can be more vigilant when the winds of change start to blow society in such a direction. Hopefully, then, we'll make the brave choice and resist.

milkman
03-22-2009, 04:07 PM
A very "enlightened" comment from you. Is that the best you got? Obviously, you were one of the students abandoned as being "impossible" by your teachers.

That's not true at all.

I was actually going to go into detail about a very good teacher I had, but then I reached the conclusion that I didn't care to waste my effort on an asswipe.

In essense, I'm abandoning your dumb ass.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
You comment that I have "never been in a classroom in a professional setting" because. . .?

"there are some who literally do NOT care."
And, obviously, there are teachers who do NOT care!

"how do you teach give a shit"
You start by "giving a shit" yourself!

you don't know a thing! Come to my room and spend a week. I know I would exhaust you and you would never make such stupid assumptions or comments again.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
NO, LET'S HEAR THE STORY ABOUT THE TEACHER WHO FAILED TO WASH OUT YOUR FOUL MOUTH WITH SOAP!!!!!

That's not true at all.

I was actually going to go into detail about a very good teacher I had, but then I reached the conclusion that I didn't care to waste my effort on an asswipe.

In essense, I'm abandoning your dumb ass.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:09 PM
NO, LET'S HEAR THE STORY ABOUT THE TEACHER WHO FAILED TO WASH OUT YOUR FOUL MOUTH WITH SOAP!!!!!

Seriously,

this dude is a freak and I am done wasting time

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
YAWN. . .you have tired me out already! You still haven't answered my question.

you don't know a thing! Come to my room and spend a week. I know I would exhaust you and you would never make such stupid assumptions or comments again.

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Comanche,
Do you teach?
Work in a school?
Do anything professional in a school setting?

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
YAWN. . .you have tired me out already! You still haven't answered my question.

Bla bla bla

that is all I hear from you :)

I am done

thanks for playing

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:12 PM
You obviously didn't get past "name calling" in school.

Seriously,

this dude is a freak and I am done wasting time

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Comanche,
Do you teach?
Work in a school?

obviously not because then life wouldn't be so "perfect" in his eyes.

There is a particular thinking about how those who don't teach think they know how our days go and how best to do what we do

Then there is the reality

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
You obviously didn't get past "name calling" in school.

Obviously not :)

I call them as I see them

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
obviously not because then life wouldn't be so "perfect" in his eyes.

There is a particular thinking about how those who don't teach think they know how our days go and how best to do what we do

Then there is the reality

I can't imagine he/she does, either, based on the "get off at 3pm" and "9 months a year" comments.

...well...that and everything else he/she has said.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I have experience at the Graduate, Undergraduate and high school levels. I must admit to no experience teaching elementary or lower. Thanks for asking!

Comanche,
Do you teach?
Work in a school?

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I have experience at the Graduate, Undergraduate and high school levels. I must admit to no experience teaching elementary or lower. Thanks for asking!

What experience?

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:18 PM

I have a hard time buying this...especially the HS level given the comments down thread

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I can't imagine he/she does, either, based on the "get off at 3pm" and "9 months a year" comments.

...well...that and everything else he/she has said.

no kidding!

I am currently as we type configuring student groupings for the next week. Earlier, I planned my week out as we are starting a new sub matter for which I have only 9 weeks to teach and in the middle of that 9 weeks, we have to do a DBQ packet and a persuasive essay to be ARG'ed and still cover all of the other things I need to.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:26 PM
"the older generation of teachers are not as good at creating dynamic and engaging lesson plans as the younger generation. "

This comment comes from the person who asked a member of the "older generation" to educate students about her own personal life experiences.

"I never said old teachers should not be allowed to teach"
You implied it by saying they would soon all be replaced. You are the liar here by back tracking on your statements. Fine, now you DON'T believe older educators should be put out to pasture.

It is true, I think that more of the older generation of teachers are not as good at creating dynamic and engaging lesson plans as the younger generation.
Yes, you insinuated she was a whore (or wanted us to ask her if she was a whore).
I never said old teachers should not be allowed to teach. Do you think it helps your argument to lie?

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
"This woman wasn't of voting age when Hitler took power."

Umm, voting didn't have much to do with Hitler's regime. Keep in mind the Hitler Youth were in the streets defending Berlin in the last days. The last known pictures of Hitler alive was when he presented representatives of the Hitler Youth with the Nazis Cross.

This woman wasn't of voting age when Hitler took power.

Do you blame Junior High kids for Obama being elected?

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:31 PM
"the older generation of teachers are not as good at creating dynamic and engaging lesson plans as the younger generation. "

This comment comes from the person who asked a member of the "older generation" to educate students about her own personal life experiences.

"I never said old teachers should not be allowed to teach"
You implied it by saying they would soon all be replaced. You are the liar here by back tracking on your statements. Fine, now you DON'T believe older educators should be put out to pasture.

You are, again, making shit up to suit your purposes.
A) I asked a member of the older generation to speak about personal experiences. Not the "older generation of teachers." There's a difference you are purposefully ignoring to try and make a non-existent argument. Obviously there are older teachers who are better at these lesson plans, and younger ones who aren't.
But, in general, the older generation of teachers are used to the old way of doing things. If you disagree...sorry (but you are wrong).

B) I never implied older teachers should be allowed to teach. By stating they were being replaced, I was merely saying that the vast majority of teachers will be retiring in the next 10 years, to be replaced by the younger generation. It's a fact.

Do you think it helps your argument to make things up?

Sully
"This woman wasn't of voting age when Hitler took power."

Umm, voting didn't have much to do with Hitler's regime. Keep in mind the Hitler Youth were in the streets defending Berlin in the last days. The last known pictures of Hitler alive was when he presented representatives of the Hitler Youth with the Nazis Cross.

So?
Is there a point to this?

Try to follow along with the conversation.

Gracie Dean
Again Comanche

just what "experience" do you have at HS? Please do tell

and just observing a classroom one time with supervision does not count

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Is it possible this is Tom Comanche?

kstater
03-22-2009, 04:36 PM

Sexist pig.

How is a 7 foot blonde that measures 39-23-23 a stretch of math?

kstater
03-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Is it possible this is Tom Comanche?

I was thinking that about 3 posts in.

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I was thinking that about 3 posts in.

I guess I'll have to wait and see if he threatens me with a lawsuit.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:41 PM
You seem very defensive about your teaching effectiveness. You still haven't answered why you felt the need to initiate this thread. Regardless, you are charged with the responsibility of educating students. You want to shift blame to the student or to me for making "assumptions." Look, brother, the parents pay their money and entrust their children WITH YOU! Perhaps the student you mentioned was not paying attention. You say the student just wanted attention by asking the question. WHY DID THIS STUDENT FEEL THIS WAY? You are PAID to try to reach the student, not to allow her to be ridiculed. You say she was "burned" because the other students laughed at her. Is this the type of classroom environment you condone?

It's funny. I've said several times that the rest of the students laughed at her question. It's a little thing called "natural consequences," which is the best form of classroom management there is.
Also, do I need to explain the word "toward" to you?
You do understand, I hope, that typing something on here, and acting TOWARD someone in real life are two different things...right?

I stand corrected. You assumed I didn't ask pertinent questions. Still an assumption, still incorrect. I'm not going to ask a woman volunteering her time if she was a whore. Sorry. As for her role in support, she explained it fully and honestly, and was asked many questions about it, by me and other students. So not only was your ASSUMPTION an assumption, it was wrong.

I'm not sure why you think you've even addressed your wrong assumption here. You haven't. Moving the goalposts does not take away your faulty logic.

Did you or did you not say, soon after saying we should have asked if she sold her body?

What was it you were saying about reading skills?

Are you under the impression you know this student better than I?
Do you think it possible that after seeing her in class every day. I may know her motivation a little better than you? I explained my interpretation of her motivation, it's dead-on, and you are still flailing with assumptions.

She recieved a negative consequence. It has been described , now, MANY times in this thread, as well as earlier in this post. I don't know how better to help you without charts and graphs.

You may be new and not understand this, but this place is far from being simply a "football message board." People often discuss funny things in their lives, frustrating parts of their lives, etc. People meet and chat over beers. People joke... My post was nothing more than that.
Yes. Students should be responsible for their learning. If a teacher uses strategies designed to reach all students, including widely varied lesson plans and assessments, fun and engaging activities, good classroom management, modeling, etc, then at some point it's up to the student to actually be a student. Again, your assumption is that those things haven't been done, which ultimately is a dumbass assumption.
There are always going to be a few students who are "bored" no matter what you are doing. You will never have a classroom where every student is engaged 100% of the time, unless you have one student, and even then it's going to be less than 100%. So you spend most days trying to change things up so you reach every student. You teach to the visual learners...the tactile learners, etc....
...but at some point, it's up to the students to actually be learners.

No I haven't. Do you think it helps your case to flat-out lie?

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
You seem very defensive about your teaching effectiveness. You still haven't answered why you felt the need to initiate this thread. Regardless, you are charged with the responsibility of educating students. You want to shift blame to the student or to me for making "assumptions." Look, brother, the parents pay their money and entrust their children WITH YOU! Perhaps the student you mentioned was not paying attention. You say the student just wanted attention by asking the question. WHY DID THIS STUDENT FEEL THIS WAY? You are PAID to try to reach the student, not to allow her to be ridiculed. You say she was "burned" because the other students laughed at her. Is this the type of classroom environment you condone?

You still have not answered your "experience" in the HS classroom. It is obvious you have none or you would understand the dynamics

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey, you brought up "voting age." What a joke to refer to "voting" as a remedy for the Nazis regime. Have you actually read any history? There were members of the Nazis Youth who kicked Jews in the streets of Berlin but perhaps have haven't read about that. There were members of the Nazis Youth who killed allied soldiers in the streets of Berlin but I suppose you haven't read about that? Hey, its not too late for the teacher to LEARN a few new things.

So?
Is there a point to this?

Try to follow along with the conversation.

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:46 PM

I'm not terribly defensive about my effectiveness. I know how effective I am.

I did answer why I initiated this thread, you just don't like the answer.

In this case, I do put the blame on this particular student.

I have pointed out your many assumptions, which you have now given up trying to defend.

Why would a teenage student want attention? Are you serious with that question? Really? Questions like that make me doubt your (as of yet nondescript) "experience."

Students laughing at an obviously dumb question is far from "ridicule." But it is an effective bit of classroom management. I'm happy it happened. Next time this student will know that she should pay attention or not try to show off.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:49 PM
You still have not answered your "experience" in the HS classroom. It is obvious you have none or you would understand the dynamics

and still waiting

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey, you brought up "voting age." What a joke to refer to "voting" as a remedy for the Nazis regime. Have you actually read any history? There were members of the Nazis Youth who kicked Jews in the streets of Berlin but perhaps have haven't read about that. There were members of the Nazis Youth who killed allied soldiers in the streets of Berlin but I suppose you haven't read about that? Hey, its not too late for the teacher to LEARN a few new things.

It was in response to someone bringing up how "Hitler was freely elected."

If I'm going to have to hold your hand and explain every post you should have understood the first time you read it, this is going to take forever. Like I said, try to keep up.

Comanche
03-22-2009, 04:51 PM
"B) I never implied older teachers should be allowed to teach."
Freudian slip that is apropos to your apparent discriminatory beliefs.

You are, again, making shit up to suit your purposes.
A) I asked a member of the older generation to speak about personal experiences. Not the "older generation of teachers." There's a difference you are purposefully ignoring to try and make a non-existent argument. Obviously there are older teachers who are better at these lesson plans, and younger ones who aren't.
But, in general, the older generation of teachers are used to the old way of doing things. If you disagree...sorry (but you are wrong).

B) I never implied older teachers should be allowed to teach. By stating they were being replaced, I was merely saying that the vast majority of teachers will be retiring in the next 10 years, to be replaced by the younger generation. It's a fact.

Do you think it helps your argument to make things up?

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
"B) I never implied older teachers should be allowed to teach."
Freudian slip that is apropos to your apparent discriminatory beliefs.

What's your experience, Tom....er...I mean, Comanche?

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 04:53 PM
What's your experience, Tom....er...I mean, Comanche?

I have asked that the last 6 posts and no answer

none at all

telling really!!!

Sully
03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I have asked that the last 6 posts and no answer

none at all

telling really!!!

He/She is getting really picky about what he/she responds to. All after accusing me o sidestepping questions yesterday.

Doubletalk...check!
Lies...check!
Inability to follow simple conversation...check!

Seems very familiar.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 05:06 PM
He/She is getting really picky about what he/she responds to. All after accusing me o sidestepping questions yesterday.

Doubletalk...check!
Lies...check!
Inability to follow simple conversation...check!

Seems very familiar.

yup

the silence is deafening isn't it heheROFL

phisherman
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
this almost seems TC-esque.

the direct attacks at Sully seem to be a dead giveaway.

NewChief
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Reason #248:
People who know nothing about teaching insist that they know everything.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Reason #248:
People who know nothing about teaching insist that they know everything.

REP

Bearcat2005
03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
NO, YOU have a "lack of understanding." 100% percent of "kids" are teachable. It is disturbing that YOU claim to be an educator and believe otherwise. Even children with mental disorders can still learn things. Unless an individual is brain dead he/she can learn. As I said, and you obviously ignored the comment, I admitted that there are students who are difficult to reach for extreme reasons such as drug usage.

Yeah, blame the problems on the parents. The other guy wants to blame the students. Surely the PAID educators should not share in the blame!

Nice to see you can't read my post and assume about my day, since you know you have been an educator, know my work and coaching schedule, and my curriculum. I hope you know you are making your argument look more invalid because you are such an ass about your posts and generalizations of people and character. You know nothing about me but there you go again, making your claims.
You clearly have no respect for the profession or UNDERSTANDING of the challenges it entails.

Gracie Dean
03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Nice to see you can't read my post and assume about my day, since you know you have been an educator, know my work and coaching schedule, and my curriculum. I hope you know you are making your argument look more invalid because you are such an ass about your posts and generalizations of people and character. You know nothing about me but there you go again, making your claims.
You clearly have no respect for the profession or UNDERSTANDING of the challenges it entails.

we have asked for details about his experience in High School. No response. I am thinking his experience was being a pain in the ASS student and nothing else!

Bearcat2005
03-22-2009, 07:00 PM
we have asked for details about his experience in High School. No response. I am thinking his experience was being a pain in the ASS student and nothing else!

I just get frustrated when people make broad generalizations and assumptions about people and their careers. Its funny because when I first entered the field 3 years ago (I'm only 25), I held many assumptions that work experience changed.

Jilly
03-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Sully, you can acknowledge now how smart your wife is...I won't mind.

Sully
03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Sully, you can acknowledge now how smart your wife is...I won't mind.

So I was struggling with a cool lesson plan idea last weekend, and kept going from idea to idea.
I finally asked my wife's advice, and right out of the box, she brings it strong with a very good idea for an activity.

The class loved it, my supervisor loved it. it was...in other words...the balls.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2009, 10:01 AM
and these are our future leaders..... :)You were one of those retards forty years ago.

Jilly
03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
So I was struggling with a cool lesson plan idea last weekend, and kept going from idea to idea.
I finally asked my wife's advice, and right out of the box, she brings it strong with a very good idea for an activity.

The class loved it, my supervisor loved it. it was...in other words...the balls.

Not quite what I was referring to, but that's good too!!! Who loves you baby?

Katipan
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
She pulled balls right out of her box?

Jilly is da bomb.

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
She pulled balls right out of her box?

Jilly is da bomb.

I'd be asking questions if she was able to produce new balls that quickly.

Comanche
03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh, you're a COACH! THAT explains it!

Comanche
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Dude, stop side-stepping my comments.

It was in response to someone bringing up how "Hitler was freely elected."

If I'm going to have to hold your hand and explain every post you should have understood the first time you read it, this is going to take forever. Like I said, try to keep up.

Jilly
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I'd be asking questions if she was able to produce new balls that quickly.

I'm pretty crafty.

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty crafty.

All the more reason for concern. ;)

Jilly
03-23-2009, 10:28 AM
All the more reason for concern. ;)

concern or just generally curious?

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
concern or just generally curious?

Concern if I were your significant other and you could quickly (and craftily) produce new balls. I like my balls to have more staying power.

Sully
03-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Dude, stop side-stepping my comments.

I haven't sidestepped one thing.

You, however.....

Jilly
03-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Concern if I were your significant other and you could quickly (and craftily) produce new balls. I like my balls to have more staying power.

oh, we weren't talking about bouncy balls or tennis balls?

Brock
03-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Is that Tommy again?

kstater
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
What gave it away?

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Tommy?

Sully
03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Is that Tommy again?

Part of me thinks yes.

But there are some differences.

Jilly
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
It's him, if it wasn't, he would have taken a look at your profile by now and he hasn't. Which says to me, he already knows you.

Bearcat2005
03-23-2009, 10:42 AM

What does that explain? Yet another ignorant statement by you is what it explains. I am a teacher first and a coach second, if some how being a coach makes me less qualified to teach my material to you then whatever, I will happen to have my M.S. in Political Science this semester so do not make your bullshit assumptions about my education as you clearly have none. I am a coach because I have college experience in the sports I coach that I feel can contribute to my school and community, I am sorry you feel so negative about yourself that you have to come on forums and harass in an attempt to some how give meaning to yourself.

Bearcat2005
03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I haven't sidestepped one thing.

You, however.....

Yea I placed that troll on ignore, not worth my time anymore.

Comanche
03-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Seriously, all student's are God's children. You have an obligation to educate those children entrusted to your care. If you don't take that obligation seriously or if you believe that your efforts should only be directed to "good students" then you should consider leaving the profession as you initially indicated.

Case history:
I once taught a female high school student who was a child of a broken home. She had been living with her mother in Chicago but was sent to live with her father in the KC metropolitan area. This student believed that the only way she could return to her home in Chicago was to get expelled from school in KC. Therefore, she was very disruptive in all her classes. All of her other teachers "wrote her off" as an incorrigible degenerate. One day, during my class, this student began to crawl around the room on all fours. Because of her behavior, I asked her to remain after class.

During my after class discussion with this student, I learned that she was TRYING to get expelled because she wanted to return to her mother in Chicago. I explained to her that although I believed this was not an effective course of action on her part, I at least understood her MOTIVATION. I let her know that she was denying herself the opportunity to experience the knowledge and experiences she could obtain from the course I was teaching. From that day forward, she was a model student in my classroom. That said, she was successful in her attempt to get expelled from school by being disruptive in her OTHER classes.

Case history:
I was friends with a fellow teacher who was a WWII vet. He was a great storyteller and told me many things about his experience in the Navy. He was sent as part of an occupation force to Saipan. The Navy personnel were informed that the island had been secured by a U.S. Marine task force. After his arrival to the island, however, the Navy learned that a large force of Japanese soldiers had been hiding in caves and were NOT removed by the Marines. The responsibility for removing the Japanese soldiers was left to Navy personnel.

The US soldiers had been informed that Japanese hand grenades were activated by impacting the firing pin, unlike pulling a pin on US hand grenades. Therefore, US soldiers were advised to listen for a "click" sound which would indicate the need to "duck and cover" from a possible incoming Japanese hand grenade. While my friend's unit was engaging the enemy, he heard the tell-tale "click" sound and ducked for cover. Sure enough, a hand grenade exploded. After the explosion, he raised up from cover only to be hit by a second hand grenade that had been activated at the same time (he only heard the one "click" sound since both had been activated simultaneously). He was severely injured in the second blast, losing an eye, a lung, muscle tissue on his leg & etc.

This person lived through the experience. He went on to become a very interesting, very informed HISTORY teacher. YOU, however, would not have approved of him because he was an older, "old school", instructor. :banghead:

I'm not terribly defensive about my effectiveness. I know how effective I am.

I did answer why I initiated this thread, you just don't like the answer.

In this case, I do put the blame on this particular student.

I have pointed out your many assumptions, which you have now given up trying to defend.

Why would a teenage student want attention? Are you serious with that question? Really? Questions like that make me doubt your (as of yet nondescript) "experience."

Students laughing at an obviously dumb question is far from "ridicule." But it is an effective bit of classroom management. I'm happy it happened. Next time this student will know that she should pay attention or not try to show off.

Sully
03-23-2009, 11:08 AM
This person lived through the experience. He went on to become a very interesting, very informed HISTORY teacher. YOU, however, would not have approved of him because he was an older, "old school", instructor. :banghead:

Do you think it helps your case to lie?

Comanche
03-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow, M.S. in Poly Si. I'm impressed! With that degree you can become a high school coach and a . . .and a . . .oh well, never mind. You won't read this anyway since you are hiding your head in the sand by hitting the "iggy button." ROFL

What does that explain? Yet another ignorant statement by you is what it explains. I am a teacher first and a coach second, if some how being a coach makes me less qualified to teach my material to you then whatever, I will happen to have my M.S. in Political Science this semester so do not make your bullshit assumptions about my education as you clearly have none. I am a coach because I have college experience in the sports I coach that I feel can contribute to my school and community, I am sorry you feel so negative about yourself that you have to come on forums and harass in an attempt to some how give meaning to yourself.

Comanche
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Your response, like your actions toward your inquisitive student, are not "PROFESSIONAL!" :shake:

Do you think it helps your case to lie?

Sully
03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Your response, like your actions toward your inquisitive student, are not "PROFESSIONAL!" :shake:

What actions did I have toward the student?

See, that's the point, you make assumptions.
You are talking out of your ass.

Skip Towne
03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Sully, where do you teach? What subjects?

Sully
03-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Sully, where do you teach? What subjects?

History/ Social Studies.

Kansas City area.

Bearcat2005
03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Wow, M.S. in Poly Si. I'm impressed! With that degree you can become a high school coach and a . . .and a . . .oh well, never mind. You won't read this anyway since you are hiding your head in the sand by hitting the "iggy button." ROFL

Again you know nothing of that field apparently, most government agencies, NPO’s, Govt. Relations depts. to businesses, or College Institutions within that field require such a degree. Don’t worry from what a gather from your posts you will never attain such.

Jilly
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM

noone uses that term without knowing this forum.....he is Tom or some other troll... let's get him!

Bearcat2005
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM

I wonder how many of your total 38 posts have actually been worth a damn, can't you tell nobody cares for you or your sophomoric attitude, seriously are you that upset with yourself and your choices that you just say things that don't make sense to recieve attention?

Bearcat2005
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
noone uses that term without knowing this forum.....he is Tom or some other troll... let's get him!

Yea this douche needs to go.

Jenson71
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I explained to her that although I believed this was not an effective course of action on her part, I at least understood her MOTIVATION. I let her know that she was denying herself the opportunity to experience the knowledge and experiences she could obtain from the course I was teaching. From that day forward, she was a model student in my classroom. That said, she was successful in her attempt to get expelled from school by being disruptive in her OTHER classes.

Why didn't you simply tell her that the other classes she was taking also provide experience and knowledge? It seems if that was all it took for her to become a model student in your classroom, the same would have gone for other classrooms. That was quite selfish of you, actually. "Hey, now the girl shuts up and just bothers other teachers! At least I'm doing okay!" Your density to not see this allowed her to fail. Nice job!

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM

[head slap]

People don't listen. You can say Civil War and all people will talk about is slavery, when there was so much more to it. And really many of the problems our country faced then we face now. Sectionalism and insane tariffs.

Gracie Dean
03-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Seriously, all student's are God's children. You have an obligation to educate those children entrusted to your care. If you don't take that obligation seriously or if you believe that your efforts should only be directed to "good students" then you should consider leaving the profession as you initially indicated.

Case history:
I once taught a female high school student who was a child of a broken home. She had been living with her mother in Chicago but was sent to live with her father in the KC metropolitan area. This student believed that the only way she could return to her home in Chicago was to get expelled from school in KC. Therefore, she was very disruptive in all her classes. All of her other teachers "wrote her off" as an incorrigible degenerate. One day, during my class, this student began to crawl around the room on all fours. Because of her behavior, I asked her to remain after class.

During my after class discussion with this student, I learned that she was TRYING to get expelled because she wanted to return to her mother in Chicago. I explained to her that although I believed this was not an effective course of action on her part, I at least understood her MOTIVATION. I let her know that she was denying herself the opportunity to experience the knowledge and experiences she could obtain from the course I was teaching. From that day forward, she was a model student in my classroom. That said, she was successful in her attempt to get expelled from school by being disruptive in her OTHER classes.

Case history:
I was friends with a fellow teacher who was a WWII vet. He was a great storyteller and told me many things about his experience in the Navy. He was sent as part of an occupation force to Saipan. The Navy personnel were informed that the island had been secured by a U.S. Marine task force. After his arrival to the island, however, the Navy learned that a large force of Japanese soldiers had been hiding in caves and were NOT removed by the Marines. The responsibility for removing the Japanese soldiers was left to Navy personnel.

The US soldiers had been informed that Japanese hand grenades were activated by impacting the firing pin, unlike pulling a pin on US hand grenades. Therefore, US soldiers were advised to listen for a "click" sound which would indicate the need to "duck and cover" from a possible incoming Japanese hand grenade. While my friend's unit was engaging the enemy, he heard the tell-tale "click" sound and ducked for cover. Sure enough, a hand grenade exploded. After the explosion, he raised up from cover only to be hit by a second hand grenade that had been activated at the same time (he only heard the one "click" sound since both had been activated simultaneously). He was severely injured in the second blast, losing an eye, a lung, muscle tissue on his leg & etc.

bwhahahaha

what fantasy land do you live in?

Hound333
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM

What does being a coach have to do with it?

BTW I am a coach as well for two sports. You can be a coach and still give a crap about what happens inside your classroom. Its the one thing that has changed since I was in high school. Many of the coaches now care much more about what happens before practice. That was not always the case when I was in school. (I am still wondering how giving us math problems to do, having us grade it ourselves, and putting the grades in the book ourselves so he could watch game film helped us in math)

Comanche
03-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Wow, you sound like a freaking broken record. . .you assumed this, you assumed that. Please, give it up! If it makes you feel better to say I "assumed" something then fine, go for it. Who gives a cr@p? I am trying to hold a conversation about an event in YOUR life, not mine. Therefore, I can only ride with the facts as you have presented them on this forum.

I suppose that it is better to talk "out of my ass" than being an ass as you were to your student. The classroom climate you have allowed to exist (students laughing at another student who asked a question) is very unprofessional on your part. Your demeaning remarks concerning YOUR STUDENT is unprofessional. Your failure to set the proper context for your guest speaker's comments was unprofessional. Your failure to explore the reasons for your student's misguided question was unprofessional. Your defensiveness of your teaching skills is unprofessional (you should be able to take constructive criticism and grow from the experience).

What actions did I have toward the student?

See, that's the point, you make assumptions.
You are talking out of your ass.

Comanche
03-25-2009, 05:42 AM
"What does being a coach have to do with it?"
Nothing really, I was just yanking his chain. :evil: He was being rude so I just responded in kind. There are many coaches who are also very good teachers. The comment referred more to his blustering machismo posturing. Coaches have been known to be rather brusque (see Bobby Knight and Mike Ditka).

What does being a coach have to do with it?

BTW I am a coach as well for two sports. You can be a coach and still give a crap about what happens inside your classroom. Its the one thing that has changed since I was in high school. Many of the coaches now care much more about what happens before practice. That was not always the case when I was in school. (I am still wondering how giving us math problems to do, having us grade it ourselves, and putting the grades in the book ourselves so he could watch game film helped us in math)

Comanche
03-25-2009, 05:48 AM
Is that what you got? Not much depth there pal. Go back to your NEA rally. :shake:

bwhahahaha

what fantasy land do you live in?

Comanche
03-25-2009, 06:04 AM
"Why didn't you simply tell her that the other classes she was taking also provide experience and knowledge?"

Actually, my initial comments concerned the value of education in general INCLUDING her TOTAL school experience. You weren't there, remember? I can't speak to her actions in other classrooms except to say that perhaps it is likely other teachers just "wrote her off", didn't care about her as an individual and she responded in kind. The point of the story was not about just this one student anyway. The story demonstrates the importance of caring about individual students. Keep in mind, Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein were NOT successful students. Their academic shortcomings did not define them as individuals and was certainly not indicative of their intellectual capacity or potential for future success.

"allowed her to fail"
She didn't "FAIL". That is the whole point! She LEARNED! Isn't that what education is supposed to be about?

"Your density"
Why do you feel a need to be insulting to me? Could it possibly have anything to do with a shortcoming in your own life?

Why didn't you simply tell her that the other classes she was taking also provide experience and knowledge? It seems if that was all it took for her to become a model student in your classroom, the same would have gone for other classrooms. That was quite selfish of you, actually. "Hey, now the girl shuts up and just bothers other teachers! At least I'm doing okay!" Your density to not see this allowed her to fail. Nice job!

Comanche
03-25-2009, 06:08 AM
So, do you use that sort of language on the field while you are "coaching?" I'll bet you do! ROFL

Yea this douche needs to go.