PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Pro Day

Coogs
03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
From GBN...

3:00 PM): Early returns from UGA pro dayÖ Information from the Georgia pro day is just starting to filter in and it appears that QB Matthew Stafford threw the ball reasonably well. There still were some accuracy issues but Stafford showed plenty of arm strength. Meanwhile, RB RB Knowshon Moreno probably had to be a little disappointed as he was only able to run in the low 4.6 range for the 40. Moreno, though, reportedly looked much quicker an instinctive than that time would indicate and also caught the ball well. In fact, the star of the work out may have been CB Asher Allen who reportedly ran under 4.35 seconds for the 40. WR Mo Massaquoi also improved his 40 time, running a 4.50 today compared with 4.60 at the combine. Hopefully weíll have more details later in the day.

htismaqe
03-19-2009, 02:02 PM
They really need to stop obsessing about 40 times, especially for RB's.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I read somewhere else that Stafford completed 48 of 50 passes thrown.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I read somewhere else that Stafford completed 48 of 50 passes thrown.

:shrug: Maybe that is what GBN considers reasonable. :)

-King-
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Pro Days
Georgia QB Stafford wows with strong, accurate arm

Posted: Pro Days | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Georgia, Matthew Stafford
Former Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford works out in front of NFL football scouts during Georgia Pro Day in Athens, GA.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford works out in front of NFL scouts during Georgia's pro day in Athens, Ga.

It was a circus atmosphere Thursday in Athens, Ga., for Matthew Staffordís much-anticipated pro-day workout.

The Georgia quarterback did nothing to hurt his standing as one of the draftís top prospects. He was measured, and he threw for representatives of all 32 teams, including general manager Martin Mahew and quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton of the Detroit Lions, who own the top overall pick, as well as GM Tim Ruskell of the Seattle Seahawks, who have the fourth selection. In all, 70 scouts and coaches were on hand to watch Stafford and other Georgia prospects work out.

While Stafford (6-foot-2 5/8, 225 pounds) chose to stand on his combine numbers, he did throw 50 passes in a scripted workout that was run at a quick pace. My sources on the ground in Athens all agreed that of the 50 passes, only three werenít thrown with accuracy. Stafford rolled out, threw deep comebacks Ö he threw everything. Unlike the quarterbacks who threw at the combine, Stafford had the benefit of throwing to some of his former Georgie teammates.

But the big thing is that Stafford showed a strong arm and good accuracy. His second-to-last pass was a 35-yarder down the right sideline that was on the money to Demiko Goodman.

What did I learn from Staffordís workout? That I wouldnít be worried if I were the Lions about taking him with the No. 1 pick.

If Stafford has one fault, itís that he throws the ball a lot like Brett Favre. Because he has such a strong arm and is such a great athlete, Stafford takes chances on throws that he shouldnít attempt. Itís not because he doesnít understand coverages; itís just that he has superior confidence in his arm and ability. Thatís a fault that can be corrected.

Some say Stafford is an underachiever, but I think thatís an unfair label. He won at Alabama in overtime. You donít win those kind of games unless youíre a competitor.

Ė Gil Brandt

Chiefnj2
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
It was a circus atmosphere Thursday in Athens, Ga., for Matthew Staffordís much-anticipated pro-day workout.

The Georgia quarterback did nothing to hurt his standing as one of the draftís top prospects. He was measured, and he threw for representatives of all 32 teams, including general manager Martin Mahew and quarterbacks coach Jeff Horton of the Detroit Lions, who own the top overall pick, as well as GM Tim Ruskell of the Seattle Seahawks, who have the fourth selection. In all, 70 scouts and coaches were on hand to watch Stafford and other Georgia prospects work out.

While Stafford (6-foot-2 5/8, 225 pounds) chose to stand on his combine numbers, he did throw 50 passes in a scripted workout that was run at a quick pace. My sources on the ground in Athens all agreed that of the 50 passes, only three werenít thrown with accuracy. Stafford rolled out, threw deep comebacks Ö he threw everything. Unlike the quarterbacks who threw at the combine, Stafford had the benefit of throwing to some of his former Georgie teammates.

But the big thing is that Stafford showed a strong arm and good accuracy. His second-to-last pass was a 35-yarder down the right sideline that was on the money to Demiko Goodman.

What did I learn from Staffordís workout? That I wouldnít be worried if I were the Lions about taking him with the No. 1 pick.

If Stafford has one fault, itís that he throws the ball a lot like Brett Favre. Because he has such a strong arm and is such a great athlete, Stafford takes chances on throws that he shouldnít attempt. Itís not because he doesnít understand coverages; itís just that he has superior confidence in his arm and ability. Thatís a fault that can be corrected.

Some say Stafford is an underachiever, but I think thatís an unfair label. He won at Alabama in overtime. You donít win those kind of games unless youíre a competitor.

Ė Gil Brandt

htismaqe
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Stafford is doing pretty much what everybody expected. His physical skills have never been in question.

Can he make the right decision on 3rd and 8 - THAT is the question, and it won't be answered prior to the draft.

talastan
03-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Don't know if I was Detriot if I'd like the Farve comparison. While that brings wild thoughts of 40 yd bombs downfield, it also comes with turnovers galore. :shrug:

SBK
03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Sigh, I so wanted us to draft Stafford.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Sigh, I so wanted us to draft Stafford.

I'm still thinking we could. Either Stafford or Sanchez are still possibilities at #3. Especially if there are any legs to the Cassel to Denver rumors. Seems pretty far fetched, but who knows at this point.

SBK
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm still thinking we could. Either Stafford or Sanchez are still possibilities at #3. Especially if there are any legs to the Cassel to Denver rumors. Seems pretty far fetched, but who knows at this point.

We're trading down unless those crackpot rumors are true and we're getting a haul of picks for Cassel. There's <.000000001 chance of that happening.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 02:44 PM
There's <.000000001 chance of that happening.I suspect you have the same chance on a trade down. I really can't see anyone really wanting to move to #3 as of the middle of March.

SBK
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I suspect you have the same chance on a trade down. I really can't see anyone really wanting to move to #3 as of the middle of March.

There's always someone wanting to move up.

talastan
03-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Especially if Stafford is there, I could see trading down as a very possible option.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Especially if Stafford is there, I could see trading down as a very possible option.

And maybe Stafford or Sanchez being thee at #3 is the key to kicking off the whole 3-way trade scenarios that have being popping up. If those two are both gone by pick #3 then the 3-ways are probably not a good move for the Chiefs.

Pestilence
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
My hope is that the Seahawks let their love for Stafford show and Detroit passes on him. Then we'll be able to entertain trade offers for anyone who wants to trade up to #3 to get him.

bdeg
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
My hope is that the Seahawks let their love for Stafford show and Detroit passes on him. Then we'll be able to entertain trade offers for anyone who wants to trade up to #3 to get him.

Best-case scenario. I don't think Seattle has to do anything more, we just need him to fall to us.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Path To The Draft comming right up on NFLNetwork. Staffords workout is the key topic on the show.

Coogs
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
They said it was very windy, and it looked that way on the tape too. They also said he helped himself with the workout.

L.A. Chieffan
03-19-2009, 05:04 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeHF6zpM2Q

Pestilence
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Dude....GD....why can't that kid be our QBoTF?

Reaper16
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Dude....GD....why can't that kid be our QBoTF?
Tell me about it.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2009, 06:17 PM
my bad

Mecca
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
We're not into drafting QB's high..I believe only 2 other teams haven't drafted a QB in the 1st round in the span the Chiefs have gone without taking one..that includes the expansion teams.

the Talking Can
03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
it breaks my heart....

DaKCMan AP
03-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Asher Allen made plays when I've watched Georgia and, while I don't know how accurate it is, ran a great 40 time at pro day. I wouldn't mind grabbing him if he's still there in round 4 or 5.

SBK
03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeHF6zpM2Q

I hope I saw it wrong, but looked like some naked dude was standing in front of Stafford when he got measured for his height. :doh!:

Kyle DeLexus
03-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Well my man crush for Matthew Stafford is still here in full force.....I'd ask him out on a man date if he was in KC.

Chiefnj2
03-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I'd be happy if Stafford fell to #3, KC took him and sent Cassel to Chicago/Minn/Tampa/NY for their first round pick. I don't think there is any chance in hell Pioli would do it. I'm not sure any of those teams have the cap room to do it without first redoing his contract.

Mecca
03-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I'd be happy if Stafford fell to #3, KC took him and sent Cassel to Chicago/Minn/Tampa/NY for their first round pick. I don't think there is any chance in hell Pioli would do it. I'm not sure any of those teams have the cap room to do it without first redoing his contract.

Tampa Bay has more cap room than anyone...

Kyle DeLexus
03-20-2009, 09:43 AM

The Vikes would be a great place for him to end up, most people have said for awhile now that they are just a QB from a Superbowl. Even in Cassel ends up being just a really good game manager thats a huge step for them, and would still make them a team to beat.

Pestilence
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
The Vikes would be a great place for him to end up, most people have said for awhile now that they are just a QB from a Superbowl. Even in Cassel ends up being just a really good game manager thats a huge step for them, and would still make them a team to beat.

I honestly don't see it happening after the Rosenfels trade. Tampa Bay maybe.....

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I honestly don't see it happening after the Rosenfels trade. Tampa Bay maybe.....

They didn't get Rosenfels to be the anointed starter.

Pestilence
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
They didn't get Rosenfels to be the anointed starter.

So then they traded a 4th round pick for a backup QB? God the Vikings are fucking dumb.

Kyle DeLexus
03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
So then they traded a 4th round pick for a backup QB? God the Vikings are ****ing dumb.

A backup that will bring a competitive atmosphere to their biggest position of need. When you are the spot the Vikes are in, you do what you can to get over the hump and make it to the big game. If that means trading another pick for a QB, you should do it, if it's the right QB.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 11:56 AM
So then they traded a 4th round pick for a backup QB? God the Vikings are fucking dumb.

Actually, a 4th round pick is about what you would expect for a guy that will be "in the mix". That's where Rosenfels is at - he's not going to be named the starter today, but he might be after TC starts.

A backup that will bring a competitive atmosphere to their biggest position of need. When you are the spot the Vikes are in, you do what you can to get over the hump and make it to the big game. If that means trading another pick for a QB, you should do it, if it's the right QB.

Exactly.

Pestilence
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM

If you believe you are that close and a QB will get you over the hump....then why wouldn't you go after a different QB instead of one who will be in a competition? Go after Cassell and throw a 1st round pick at the Pats. I'm not saying they didn't do that....

Kyle DeLexus
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
If you believe you are that close and a QB will get you over the hump....then why wouldn't you go after a different QB instead of one who will be in a competition? Go after Cassell and throw a 1st round pick at the Pats. I'm not saying they didn't do that....

In betting terms it's called hedging. IMO they went and got Sage to be in the mix as an insurance policy. I fully believe they are planning on adding another QB to the mix, they just can't be confident in what they have. And if it was me, I'd feel much safer with Cassel than Josh Freeman who is likely to be the QB there in the 1st if they go that route. Honestly, I'd like to think they would have been in on the Matt Cassel bidding, but that bidding never happened we got him really quick once we could get him. They also would have most likely had to work out a long-term contract with him, we didn't. Thats how we beat everyone to the punch(thats also why I feel we could flip Cassel for a low first or possibly higher or more picks)

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
In betting terms it's called hedging. IMO they went and got Sage to be in the mix as an insurance policy. I fully believe they are planning on adding another QB to the mix, they just can't be confident in what they have. And if it was me, I'd feel much safer with Cassel than Josh Freeman who is likely to be the QB there in the 1st if they go that route. Honestly, I'd like to think they would have been in on the Matt Cassel bidding, but that bidding never happened we got him really quick once we could get him. They also would have most likely had to work out a long-term contract with him, we didn't. Thats how we beat everyone to the punch(thats also why I feel we could flip Cassel for a low first or possibly higher or more picks)

This.

raybec 4
03-20-2009, 02:47 PM

They offered a 2nd for him last year but Houston wouldn't give him up, I guess Kubiak saw something in him then that he doesn't see now.

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 12:56 AM

Mark's Pro Day is coming up next month. All 32 teams will have reps there.

If Cassel is Haley's "kind of guy" QB-wise, Sanchez makes more sense as a pick than Stafford. Their style of play is pretty much identical, though Sanchez seems a lot crisper and more decisive.

To my eye anyway.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Holy Shit, I'm wasted bad, DCS.

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Holy Shit, I'm wasted bad, DCS.

Drink More! Or at least go on a Planet hate-spree; I'll help! :D