PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Eh..Obama may have stepped in it this time

Chiefspants
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Economy/story?id=7119504&page=1
Obama on His Bowling Skills: 'Like the Special Olympics'
President, Already Under Attack on Issues, Makes Questionable Quip on 'The Tonight Show'
By JAKE TAPPER
LOS ANGELES, March 19, 2009
President Barack Obama went cross-country to deliver his economic message -- but his attempt at a joke about the Special Olympics during the first appearance by a sitting president on "The Tonight Show" could open up controversy on a whole new front.

The president speaks about jobs in California, but political fire follows him.
Towards the end of his approximately 40-minute taping, the president talked about how he's gotten better at bowling and has been practicing in the White House bowling alley, even bowling a 129.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno said sarcastically.

It's "like the Special Olympics or something," the president said.

When asked about the remark, the White House said Obama did not intend to offend.

"The president made an off-hand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics," White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton said. "He thinks the Special Olympics is a wonderful program that gives an opportunity for people with disabilities from around the world."

Facing tough questions about the performance of his Treasury Secretary, $165 million in bonuses for AIG officials and anticipating a fight over his $3.55 trillion budget, Obama has not had a particularly good week, and it's unlikely the quip will help matters.

After all, while he may have escaped the Beltway with his trip West, he was still in the political line of fire even before his "Special Olympics" remark.

Republicans upped the negative rhetoric on Obama and his staff today, with critics saying his Leno appearance is a sign that he's too focused on campaigning and not enough on governing and analyzing how and why the AIG bonus scandal happened.

But Obama used his taping on "Leno" to address some of the issues, restating his support for Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and saying he was "stunned" when he learned of the AIG bonuses.

"People just had this sense of entitlement: We must be the best and the brightest," Obama said of the bonuses.

"We're going to do everything we can to get these bonuses back," he added.

Obama said Geithner is addressing the nation's economic problems "with grace and good humor. He understands that he's on the hotseat."

"I think Geithner is doing an outstanding job," Obama said. "He is a smart guy. He is a calm and steady guy. I don't think people fully appreciate the plate that was handed him."

Obama made his comments at the show's taping, and it was unclear whether all of them would actually air later in the evening.

Man, I like the guy, but he needs to lie low for a while and focus on being an effective POTUS. Its time to ditch the celebrity and work on uniting our country.

2bikemike
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Economy/story?id=7119504&page=1
But Obama used his taping on "Leno" to address some of the issues, restating his support for Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and saying he was "stunned" when he learned of the AIG bonuses.
"People just had this sense of entitlement: We must be the best and the brightest," Obama said of the bonuses.

"We're going to do everything we can to get these bonuses back," he added.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Didn't congress know the bonus' were going to be paid? Weren't they afraid that if they didn't pay them there would be litigation? If this is so how in the world can he be "stunned"?

SBK
03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I see nothing wrong with this., in fact, I think he was complimenting people who are more 'special' than other folks are.

-jAZ, Direckshun, Orange

Iowanian
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
"so listen, he'll read anything your put in the teleprompter....ANYTHING"

later that night

"And go F yourself handicapped 'Merica!"
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1wf-gal-anchorman.jpg

**I can see already that this joke is not going to get old for me anytime soon. I really, really wish I could photoshop Obama's face under that moustache on this photo.

Chiefspants
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I see nothing wrong with this., in fact, I think he was complimenting people who are more 'special' than other folks are.

-jAZ, Direckshun, Orange

I see that as a potential possibility, however, it seems as though he was saying it would be "good" for the special olympics, which, could definitely create a firestorm, especially if RUSH decides to be the catalyst for the news.

SBK
03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
I see that as a potential possibility, however, it seems as though he was saying it would be "good" for the special olympics, which, could definitely create a firestorm, especially if RUSH decides to be the catalyst for the news.

-jAZ, Direckshun, Orange, Chiefspants

Chiefspants
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM
lol, my bad, I'm new to the political forum here.

Taco John
03-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Meh... No biggie.

Hi sintention wasn't to disparage special olympians, but to put down his own skills.

Reaper16
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Its a definite gaffe. But I'm not offended by it.

SNR
03-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Obama doesn't care about disabled people!!!!

SBK
03-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Obama doesn't care about disabled people!!!!

Obama lied retards died? :doh!:

orange
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM

-jAZ, Direckshun, Orange, Chiefspants

Hey, it's orange not Orange. Think you're 'special' or something?

jAZ
03-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Did anyone watch it?

I read the report and quote before it came on. It was stupid response, but no one in the studio even hesitated. No booing or hissing or silence or anything. It reads worse that it sounded and looked.

The tone of Leno's setup remark takes the sting out of it when you watch it, I guess.

I'm not trying to defend Obama's use of the phrase, just saying it didn't come across nearly as bad live as in print.

jAZ
03-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Meh... No biggie.

Hi sintention wasn't to disparage special olympians, but to put down his own skills.

Actually, it was to acknowledge Leno's joking false praise as well.

headsnap
03-20-2009, 06:13 AM
It was stupid response, but no one in the studio even hesitated. No booing or hissing or silence or anything.

Pam wasn't there...

Baby Lee
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Meh... No biggie.

No biggie for me either, but I hope, for your own cognitive heath, that you realize that's a distinction without a difference.

"When I say that guy drives like a chick, I wasn't intending to disparage women, I intended to disparage that guy . . . by comparing his driving skills to that of a chick."

BucEyedPea
03-20-2009, 07:21 AM
No biggie for me either, but I hope, for your own cognitive heath, that you realize that's a distinction without a difference.

"When I say that guy drives like a chick, I wasn't intending to disparage women, I intended to disparage that guy . . . by comparing his driving skills to that of a chick."

It's a compliment. Men are 70% more likely to be in a serious crash.
I see more men talking on their mobile phones and picking their noses at the same time as driving too.

BigRedChief
03-20-2009, 07:22 AM
ahhh come on everyone was laughing at my house too. He did bowl like he belonged in the special olmypics.

memyselfI
03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
The remark was stupid and predictable of the type of crap coming from Obummer when he's without his machine.

Amnorix
03-20-2009, 07:41 AM
It was funny, but pretty much inappropriate. I imagine he'll catch heat and issue an apology soon enough.

For good or for bad, the President can't say the same things that he would if he were Robin Williams or among his friends.

PRIEST
03-20-2009, 07:45 AM
ahhh come on everyone was laughing at my house too. He did bowl like he belonged in the special olmypics.

This

Not a big deal at all.

Captain Obvious
03-20-2009, 08:20 AM
This

Not a big deal at all.

No. It is a game changer. Believe that.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 08:24 AM

Too true. He also dances like a f *g. He should have said that. Everyone at my house would have laughed.

Velvet_Jones
03-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Obama lied retards died? :doh!:

Obama lied retards said "Tater tots!".

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
"Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve global warming because I fucking changed light bulbs in my house."

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
It was funny, but pretty much inappropriate. I imagine he'll catch heat and issue an apology soon enough.

For good or for bad, the President can't say the same things that he would if he were Robin Williams or among his friends.

I find it oddly out of character for him. Usually his most bigoted remarks are reserved for women.

BigRedChief
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM

*** But a “Special” gaffe? Yet one of the dangers of a president or political candidate embarking on a non-traditional media blitz -- especially in this 24/7 news environment where opponents are looking to pounce at every opportunity -- is making a gaffe. And Obama made one when joking to Leno about his bowling prowess, or lack thereof. “It was like Special Olympics, or something,” Obama said. Uh-oh. But even before the interview aired on the East Coast, the White House apologized for the comment. “The president made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics,” deputy press secretary Bill Burton told reporters on Air Force One. “He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world.” President Obama also called Tim Shriver, chairman of the Special Olympics, to apologize. The incident, in fact, reminds us of the crack Obama made about Nancy Reagan at his first news conference after winning the presidential election. Every once in a while, it seems that Obama gets into this mode where he relaxes a bit too much and, well, does what many folks do in private: make an inappropriate comment. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:00 AM
especially in this 24/7 news environment where opponents are looking to pounce at every opportunityYeah, and how's that working out for those dumbfucks?

They've completely failed to realize that constantly screaming about the latest OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!! only burns people out and makes you look even more shrill than you already were.

The incident, in fact, reminds us of the crack Obama made about Nancy Reagan at his first news conference after winning the presidential election. And we all remember how damaging that was to him! SHE'D HAD A FALL, PEOPLE! WHAT KIND OF MONSTER MAKES A REFERENCE TO AN AMUSING THING SHE DID IN THE WHITE HOUSE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:02 AM
But even before the interview aired on the East Coast, the White House apologized for the comment.

Maybe Obama can release a statement on his own behalf. I need to get my own PR people to follow me around apologizing for my misdeeds. Then, I can get flunkies who worship the water I walk on to pretend that everything is okay because someone on my payroll apologized on my behalf.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe Obama can release a statement on his own behalf. I need to get my own PR people to follow me around apologizing for my misdeeds. Then, I can get flunkies who worship the water I walk on to pretend that everything is okay because someone on my payroll apologized on my behalf.Oh, now I realize why you're taking the Special Olympics remark so personally: You're fucking retarded.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh, now I realize why you're taking the Special Olympics remark so personally: You're ****ing retarded.

Unless you can show me how that was self-deprecating, that's an offensive remark.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Unless you can show me how that was self-deprecating, that's an offensive remark.It was an offensive remark.

Holy balls, our president may be human. The Republicans have been lying to me about all of this Obamessiah stuff.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
So what is okay to criticize and what isn't?

Slurs against Christians
Slurs against women
Slurs against mentally handicapped
Corrupt political bedfellows
Plunging Stock Market
Skyrocketing unemployment
$3 Trillion in new obligations
Bailouts of incompetent/corrupt corporations

Frazod
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
So what is okay to criticize and what isn't?

Slurs against Christians
Slurs against women
Slurs against mentally handicapped
Corrupt political bedfellows
Plunging Stock Market
Skyrocketing unemployment
$3 Trillion in new obligations
Bailouts of incompetent/corrupt corporationslol

Iowanian
03-20-2009, 09:30 AM
It would have been interesting to see the responses from the same posters had the previous president had the exact same conversation on Leno.

There would have been significant outrage from some blowing it off for certain.

I don't necessarily think it was a big deal, but it also wasn't real cool when he and leno were bantering about "waterheads" later. It wasn't appropriate for a President, and was a definite gaffe.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:35 AM
It would have been interesting to see the responses from the same posters had the previous president had the exact same conversation on Leno.

There would have been significant outrage from some blowing it off for certain.

I don't necessarily think it was a big deal, but it also wasn't real cool when he and leno were bantering about "waterheads" later. It wasn't appropriate for a President, and was a definite gaffe.

It wouldn't have been interesting at all. It would have been 100% predictable.

Bush made plenty of gaffes, but I can't think of any that were hurtful in nature the way this one was. He probably did at some point in 8 years, but I can't think of any.

This was a step beyond just saying something like, "I'm retarded." To me, that's a slip similar to saying, "Oh my God." The fact that he referenced Special Olympics tells me that he put a little thought into what he was saying.

bkkcoh
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
It wouldn't have been interesting at all. It would have been 100% predictable.

Bush made plenty of gaffes, but I can't think of any that were hurtful in nature the way this one was. He probably did at some point in 8 years, but I can't think of any.

This was a step beyond just saying something like, "I'm retarded." To me, that's a slip similar to saying, "Oh my God." The fact that he referenced Special Olympics tells me that he put a little thought into what he was saying.

They should have have the TOTUS on Leno instead of the POTUS :banghead:

jjjayb
03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't think what he said was that big of a deal. However, I can't help but wonder how this would have gone over if Bush had said this. I'm sure Jazz and our Media would be having a field day with this rather than making excuses.

Brock
03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
That's brutal. He's supposed to be smarter than that.

bkkcoh
03-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't think what he said was that big of a deal. However, I can't help but wonder how this would have gone over if Bush had said this. I'm sure Jazz and our Media would be having a field day with this rather than making excuses.

It might not have been a big deal, but the comment did infuriate a segment of society. The comment shouldn't have been said.......

That's brutal. He's supposed to be smarter than that.

I wonder how Howard Dean and Hilliary truly thought about the comment.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
It might not have been a big deal, but the comment did infuriate a segment of society. The comment shouldn't have been said.......

I wonder how Howard Dean and Hilliary truly thought about the comment.

Al Gore was quoted as saying that Obama's comment sounded like it came from someone with an extra chromosome.

Iowanian
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
He's good as long as he doesn't make any tranny jokes.

Saul Good
03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
He's good as long as he doesn't make any tranny jokes.

He won't take the fall for this. Some speechwriter is going to get thrown under the short bus.

Baby Lee
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvdJFnb5spo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PvdJFnb5spo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:52 AM
He's good as long as he doesn't make any tranny jokes.Hip Hopera!

Eat some Mongo Chow. Now in three flavors!

Baby Lee
03-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Hip Hopera!

Eat some Mongo Chow. Now in three flavors!

He's gone completely past the Jim Carrey talking butt thing, he never skips that stage . . . . this is bad.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
For 26 years, my brother's job has been to yell "DING DING!" when a car pulls up. Jeffrey takes old hubcaps and places them on his head, and says he's a flying saucer or the man from space. You know, he has fun.

RINGLEADER
03-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds like bullshit to me. Didn't congress know the bonus' were going to be paid? Weren't they afraid that if they didn't pay them there would be litigation? If this is so how in the world can he be "stunned"?

I assume, since he tells us repeatedly how much he likes to go line-by-line, that he saw the language before he signed the stimulus in February and learned about it then.

Because we know everyone read the bill carefully before they voted for it/signed it.

orange
03-20-2009, 11:53 AM

For the record, I'd never heard the term before just reading your post and googling it. I don't think it's nearly as common as you think - Obama may not have known it, either. Leno brought it up as some kind of dog.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] For fun, I just did a quick search for "waterhead" here on ChiefsPlanet. Aside from this thread, it's only appeared eight times - four of them by some cat called "Iowanian." I'll bet that guy really has a lot of concern for the mentally handicapped. LOL.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
For the record, I'd never heard the term before just reading your post and googling it. I don't think it's nearly as common as you think - Obama may not have known it, either. Leno brought it up as some kind of dog.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] For fun, I just did a quick search for "waterhead" here on ChiefsPlanet. Aside from this thread, it's only appeared eight times - four of them by some cat called "Iowanian." I'll bet that guy really has a lot of concern for the mentally handicapped. LOL.

Water head....it's very common.

Iowanian
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Its very common slang. It often refers to both mentally retarded as well as those with Hydrocephalus.

Maybe you could have used that same search effort on "google".
As for this particular poster, in the past few years, I've made a significant effort to refrain from using the word "retard", mostly because it occurred to me how it sounds to those with retarded children, brothers, sisters, grandchildren et al. Also of note, I'm not the effing President of the United States, on national TV.

orange
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Its very common slang. It often refers to both mentally retarded as well as those with Hydrocephalus.

Maybe you could have used that same search effort on "google".

I googled to find out the meaning. I did the search here to see just how often it's used in actual conversation - google will always give millions of hits, so it's not useful for that.

As I pointed out, only eight uses here in almost a decade.

That is NOT "very common."

Let's compare that to "retard," for example.

[edit] "retard" hits the maximum 500 hits here and it only got to late September, 2008. Now, THAT'S "very common."

The fact that YOU used the term "water head" as much as everyone else combined probably makes it seem more common to you than it really is. Maybe it's a regional thing. The condition itself is pretty rare, so it's unlikely to come up in daily conversation. Those who actually know or see someone around with it are certainly more likely to be familiar with the term.

Iowanian
03-20-2009, 12:52 PM
There are comedians that use it routinely. Its something I've heard people use off and on for as long as I can remember.

I guess its not my fault if you're that sheltered.

Feel free to defend hoperah at all costs though. I'm not the one is is president, made a joke about the special olympics and used a common term used for retarded people on the same national tv appearance.

orange
03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Except that he didn't use the term... Leno did. Obama merely responded to the idea of a Portuguese Water Head DOG, whatever that is.

Feel free to get your panties bunched up with fautrage over every little word Obama says... or doesn't say, for that matter. He's still the President, probably for the next eight years, so you'll have MANY, MANNY more chances.

Iowanian
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Whatever you say champ.

donkhater
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
As a parent of a special needs child I'm neither offended or surprised. Chances are, like many people, he doesn't have even a little contact with a person with mental disabilities let alone on a regular basis. It's fairly common to use the word 'retard' in this day and age when you mean to insult someone in jest. Saying he bowled like someone in Special Olympics is just a different way of saying the same thing.

Honestly, I'm used to it and sadly, it's not unexpected. Even from a president.

Chief Henry
03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Whatever you say chimp.

Fixed your post

Duck Dog
03-20-2009, 04:53 PM
If it was no big deal as some of you Obots seem to think, then why did his team go into instant damage control? Why the need for an apology? And it's my recollection that you same Obots were pouncing on Bush's every word.

Fact is, he fucked up and now you look foolish trying to apologize for him. And you look hypocritical.

Chief Henry
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
If it was no big deal as some of you Obots seem to think, then why did his team go into instant damage control? Why the need for an apology? And it's my recollection that you same Obots were pouncing on Bush's every word.

Fact is, he ****ed up and now you look foolish trying to apologize for him. And you look hypocritical.

Spot on DD,

Recall how the word "Macaca" was used and the left went APE S h i t ????

The use of the word "Mecaca" destroyed one politicians career.

Direckshun
03-21-2009, 02:21 AM
So....

Which is it, because you guys seem to do this a lot.

Is it that you guys actually DO care about political correctness, despite the fact that you folks have bitched about it for a decade, and therefore ARE upset with Obama.

Or is it that you guys still DON'T care about political correctness, and therefore ARE NOT upset with Obama, but think that all of us who generally are in favor of political correctness SHOULD BE upset.

Let me know.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Direckshun, you need to make your pick in the mock you goddamned degenerate fucking cunt.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Spot on DD,

Recall how the word "Macaca" was used and the left went APE S h i t ????

The use of the word "Mecaca" destroyed one politicians career.

Mecca does not eat maccaca, you cocksucking motherfucker :cuss: :cuss:

;)

Brock
03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
So....

Is it that you guys actually DO care about political correctness, despite the fact that you folks have bitched about it for a decade, and therefore ARE upset with Obama.

Or is it that you guys still DON'T care about political correctness, and therefore ARE NOT upset with Obama, but think that all of us who generally are in favor of political correctness SHOULD BE upset.

Let me know.

Think about what you would be saying if it were Bush's comment. Then get back to those of us who already know.

Direckshun
03-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Think about what you would be saying if it were Bush's comment. Then get back to those of us who already know.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a shit, but then again I'm not a gigantic baby.

patteeu
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
So....

Let me know.

I don't care at all about political correctness, but I do take some joy at watching a guy who does, get hoisted by his own retard. So put me in the second category, except that I don't care whether you're upset or not.

Brock
03-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a shit, but then again I'm not a gigantic baby.

According to who?

Direckshun
03-21-2009, 01:56 PM
According to who?

Nice zing there, Donger.

Baby Lee
03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
get hoisted by his own retard.
Unintentional or intentional, . . . equally funny.

patteeu
03-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Unintentional or intentional, . . . equally funny.

;)

|Zach|
03-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Where are all those folks that love to hear themselves talk about how PC America is? Seems like a finicky selective group.

|Zach|
03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Where are all those folks that love to hear themselves talk about how PC America is? Seems like a finicky selective group.

My bad, seems this has already been touched on.