PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Nice piece on Bobby Engram

T-post Tom
03-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Bobby Engram on leaving Seahawks: "I'm not bitter"

Honestly, I thought Bobby Engram would be angry when I talked with him early Wednesday afternoon.

After eight seasons, after 399 pass receptions, after being as dependable as the tides, after being one of the leaders during the Super Bowl season of 2005, I thought he would be mad and hurt that the Seahawks hadn't offered him a contract.

I was expecting him to vent.

But Engram was philosophical, not angry. He was appreciative of the eight seasons he was able to play under coach Mike Holmgren and was ready to take the next step in a remarkable, true-grit career.

"The NFL is a tough business, man," Engram said. "Did a part of me want to stay here? Yeah, I wanted to finish my career with the Seahawks, but I'm OK with the change. I'm excited by the new challenge. I'm not bitter, I'm not upset. I love Seattle, but I feel like it's time to move on. Change is in the air with the Seahawks. I'll keep the memories of my time here, and I will cherish them."

I believe there still is a place for Engram in the Seahawks' lineup. General manager Tim Ruskell rightfully believes in signing high-character players, and nobody in the league can question the depth of Engram's character.

And, even with the much-heralded, much-needed signing of free-agent receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, even with the return to health of Nate Burleson and Deion Branch, and even though Engram is 36, there are going to be a gaggle of third downs this season when the Hawks will miss him in the slot.

But an era ended in Seattle on Tuesday when Engram signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, who were 2-14 last season.

So much happened to Engram here. He established himself in Seattle. He proved the Chicago Bears were wrong when they cut him after he suffered a torn ACL in 2000.

He went to his only Super Bowl as a Seahawk. His family endured the painful discovery that his daughter had Sickle-cell anemia. And the community rallied to support him and support the foundation he started to help fund Sickle-cell research.

He will be missed.

And the feeling is mutual.

"I'll miss Qwest with the 12th Man," Engram said. "Just running out of that tunnel, there's not much in life that can replace that thrill and that adrenaline rush. And I'll miss the city. I'll miss the views, the June days when the mountains are out and the air is so fresh."

Engram was here for the best days in the franchise's history. His contribution to those teams was immeasurable. He matured as a player in Seattle.

He could retire today and his legacy would be secure. Engram has caught 645 passes and scored 37 touchdowns. He is a pro and a leader, a throwback, as tough as Dick Butkus or Sam Huff, fearlessly willing to run crossing patterns against bad-intentioned cornerbacks and safeties.

"You don't get this far without being a fighter," Engram said. "I've been in this league 13 years now, and I don't feel like I really have anything I have to prove. But I'm still having a ton of fun.

"People might think I'm crazy, but I still think I've got more in me than I had a couple of years ago.

"One of my driving forces now is to see what my true capabilities are."

This time last year his relationship with the Hawks grew contentious after Ruskell refused to offer him a contract extension. Holmgren had to fight to bring Engram back for one last season. Engram missed some optional spring workouts, but was present when the Hawks' final camp in Kirkland began.

"I was not holding out, and I want people to understand that," Engram said. "Those days I missed, they were optional and I just had to take a step back and assess how the organization felt about me. I was a man about it, honored my contract and came in here and I played."

On a team full of quality people, he was at the top of the list. And I think, in another setting this season, if he stays healthy, Bobby Engram will prove he's still got game.

skky man
03-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Nice story! I hope he does still have some gas in the tank!

philfree
03-20-2009, 07:07 AM
This signing wreaks of the 'Patriot Way'. Locker room guy and our 3rd down slot reciever.

PhilFree:arrow:

tmax63
03-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I like the idea of getting Vrabel and Engram in the locker room and teaching these young pups what a pro is instead of them learning from LJ or Waters or some others.

EyePod
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
This signing wreaks of the 'Patriot Way'. Locker room guy and our 3rd down slot reciever.

PhilFree:arrow:

You act like that's a bad thing. I don't understand why people don't want us to be like a classy organization. I can do without the cheating, but other than that, those bazillion Lombardi trophies must be nice...

EyePod
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I like the idea of getting Vrabel and Engram in the locker room and teaching these young pups what a pro is instead of them learning from LJ or Waters or some others.

I just don't want them to clash with Tony. I really hope they get along. I want Tony to be a Chief for life...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
That's Bobby. A class act. Listen, it's no secret I live in Seattle and follow the Hawks. I love all Seattle sports teams, but no one can compare to my Chiefs. In any case, mark it down, you heard it here first. Bobby Engram will be a major contributor to the offense this year, and he will be a positive veteran presence on this team. This is a great signing.

Molitoth
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
If Engram liked coming out of the Seahawks tunnel, wait until he runs out into Arrowhead on a sunday morning.

Mecca
03-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I just don't want them to clash with Tony. I really hope they get along. I want Tony to be a Chief for life...

So basically you are concerned that Tony Gonzalez has a bad attitude?

StcChief
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
If Engram liked coming out of the Seahawks tunnel, wait until he runs out into Arrowhead on a sunday morning.that was my thought as well.... assuming "the loudest" stadium in NFL is still that.

DaFace
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
If Engram liked coming out of the Seahawks tunnel, wait until he runs out into Arrowhead on a sunday morning.

Well...maybe once the team returns to respectability. Hopefully there will be enough excitement about Carl & Herm being gone that some of the magic will return even at the beginning of next season.

arrowheadnation
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I don't know why, but I like this signing. I think he'll be "Eddie Kennison" for us for a few years.

Dave Lane
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
that was my thought as well.... assuming "the loudest" stadium in NFL is still that.

With Herm gone and now hope for a team you watch... Record be damned I'm on board!

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I love this signing.

Chief Henry
03-20-2009, 12:25 PM
This article sheds some light on his attitude and his mental toughness.

He's obvious a phsically tough SOB to survive in the NFL and taking those shots.

Dark Horse
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM
With signings like this one I think it proves 2 things. 1 We were way too young last year, no calming veteran presense. 2 Pioli likes the young talent and does not feel a need to shore up with long term solutions except for QB.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
With signings like this one I think it proves 2 things. 1 We were way too young last year, no calming veteran presense. 2 Pioli likes the young talent and does not feel a need to shore up with long term solutions except for QB.

I'm beginning to feel that way too. Like maybe Pioli thinks we aren't that far away.

Because other than Cassel, we've signed alot of "mortar" and not alot of "bricks".

Dark Horse
03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm beginning to feel that way too. Like maybe Pioli thinks we aren't that far away.

Because other than Cassel, we've signed alot of "mortar" and not alot of "bricks".

One guy I would have loved to have signed is Brian Dawkins he could have done for our secondary what Vrabel will hopefully do for our LB's

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
One guy I would have loved to have signed is Brian Dawkins he could have done for our secondary what Vrabel will hopefully do for our LB's

Dawkins got too much $$$ from Denver.

We need a FS more than SS anyway.

Dark Horse
03-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Dawkins got too much $$$ from Denver.

We need a FS more than SS anyway.

He played free safety for the Eagles and its not about his talent or position, (free or strong) but his ability to make the other players better.

htismaqe
03-20-2009, 01:38 PM
He played free safety for the Eagles and its not about his talent or position, (free or strong) but his ability to make the other players better.

True, but for what Denver is paying him, the expectation is going to be more than just rallying the troops.

Tylerthigpen!1!
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Qwest field is no slouch when it comes to being loud

Mr. Flopnuts
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Qwest field is no slouch when it comes to being loud

I was going to say it but decided I'd already been enough of a fan boy for the Hawks. Qwest doesn't compare to Arrowhead when KC fans are in full throat, but Seattle gets fucking loud. The crazy shits did invent the wave.