PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Any Pittsburgh Planeteers?

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend - looking for any recommendations on restaurants (especially late-night & breakfast) plus info on good bars and/or anything must-see.

Thanks!

Katipan
03-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend - looking for any recommendations on restaurants (especially late-night & breakfast) plus info on good bars and/or anything must-see.

Thanks!

I bet they have a Denny's!

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I bet they have a Denny's!

**** Denny's.

Katipan
03-20-2009, 07:57 AM
24 hour Jack in the Box drive thru?

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 08:02 AM
24 hour Jack in the Box drive thru?

The idea is to eat at places that aren't chains and that I can't get outside of Pittsburgh. ;)

StcChief
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
paging RunnerCyclist.

BigMeatballDave
03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
24 hour Jack in the Box drive thru?Nope. The nearest one to Pittsburgh is in NC.

CaptainMorgan
03-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Not from Pittsburgh, but I've been there a few times...really good city, that is totally under the radar and I think gets a bit of a bad rap.

In terms of things to do, you should try and take the Duquesne Incline up Mt. Washington. If its a nice day, there are some good restaurants up there that have great views over looking the city. For seafood, Monterey Bay Fosh Groto is pretty good. Georgetown Inn is also good food up there.

Another thing place you should hit up at some point is Primanti Brothers. They're a chain in Pittsburgh (have them at Steelers games) that you have to try. Basically, they make sandwiches in which everything (burger, fries, coleslaw) is all in the sandwich. Its horrible for your health, and when I saw it being made I thought the guy was on acid, but its actually pretty good and worth trying since it seems to be a Pittsburgh thing.

Lastly, if you're going out at night, the street you want to hit up is Carson St. This street is full of bars, and its a pretty fun time.

Hope this helps.

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't get in until 10pm tonight so I'm thinking of going to a place called "Wings, Suds & Spuds" straight form the airport. Reviews say they have great wings & fries so that might work.

Otherwise, looking at bars this place seems interesting: http://www.fatheads.com/

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Not from Pittsburgh, but I've been there a few times...really good city, that is totally under the radar and I think gets a bit of a bad rap.

In terms of things to do, you should try and take the Duquesne Incline up Mt. Washington. If its a nice day, there are some good restaurants up there that have great views over looking the city. For seafood, Monterey Bay Fosh Groto is pretty good. Georgetown Inn is also good food up there.

Another thing place you should hit up at some point is Primanti Brothers. They're a chain in Pittsburgh (have them at Steelers games) that you have to try. Basically, they make sandwiches in which everything (burger, fried, coleslaw) is all in the sandwich. Its horrible for your health, and when I saw it being made I thought the guy was on acid, but its actually pretty good and worth trying since it seems to be a Pittsburgh thing.

Lastly, of you're going out at night, the street you want to hit up Carson St. This street is full of bars, and its a pretty fun time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - appreciate it! I think I saw the Primanti Bros on Travel Channel's "Man v Food". Maybe I'll check them out for lunch on Saturday. The bar Fat Heads I linked to in the previous post is on Carson St so I guess I'm in the right area!

Katipan
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Right Up Your Alley! (http://www.steelcityderbydemons.com/scars.htm)

CaptainMorgan
03-20-2009, 08:38 AM
np...ya, I've never been to that fat heads place, but I heard good things about it when I was there...there are a couple pretty good sports bars on Carson too if I remember that should be good for watching the bball.

You really cant go wrong going to Carson...lots of bars to chose from so you shouldn;t have any problem finding a place thats solid.

Also, not sure if ur a baseball fan, but when we were there, a gate at PNC was just open and you could walk right in (I don't know if this is the usual or someone just screwed up)...it was pretty cool to see tho, and a relly nice ballpark as far as the newer ones go.

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM

That's disgusting. :shake:

Dave Lane
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM

Hey I told her to behave!

Katipan
03-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey I told her to behave!

You know what you tell a girl with a blackeye...

MOhillbilly
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
You know what you tell a girl with a blackeye...

nothin cause ya already told her.

Katipan
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
nothin cause ya already told her.

I knew there was a man laying around here somewhere!

DaKCMan AP
03-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Flight delayed.. this is going to cut into my potential bar hopping time tonight. :cuss:

runnercyclist
03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
paging RunnerCyclist.

Sorry for the delay...

While I'm not in Da 'burg any longer there are definitely some must do's.

1. Go to FatHeads on Carson, about 100 great beers and sandwiches the size of your head.

2. The largest Belgian beer bar in the US is in Pittsburgh. It is called Sharp Edge (there are 3 but my favorite is The Creek House in Crafton).

3. Church Brew Works is pretty cool. It is a brewpub in an old church. Ok beer and pretty good food.

Those are definitely the highlights of Pittsburgh. Others will say you've got to hit Primanti's but it's not all that.

Heinz Field and PNC Park are pretty cool to look at and the confluence of the three rivers. Those sites can be taken in while near Fatheads.

Enjoy!

runnercyclist
03-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't get in until 10pm tonight so I'm thinking of going to a place called "Wings, Suds & Spuds" straight form the airport. Reviews say they have great wings & fries so that might work.

Otherwise, looking at bars this place seems interesting: http://www.fatheads.com/

Not worth the trip. Head to Bocktown at Robinson. Better food, beer, and atmosphere.

KC Jones
03-20-2009, 08:01 PM
It's been 20 years since I lived in da burgh but the O was a tradition for us drunk college kids:

http://www.hollyeats.com/OriginalHotDog.htm

Pamela's was the best pancakes I've ever had in my life. It's been 20 years and I still remember and miss them.

DJay23
03-20-2009, 08:30 PM
It's been 20 years since I lived in da burgh but the O was a tradition for us drunk college kids:

Pamela's was the best pancakes I've ever had in my life. It's been 20 years and I still remember and miss them.

I can confirm that Pamela's in Squirrel Hill is FANTASTIC for breakfast. Or was it in Shadyside? I can't remember, somewhere over there. Was there 6 years ago with an ex girlfriend around New Years.

Bill Cowher and his wife and one daughter walked in for breakfast while we were there. No one even blinked.

As far as night life, I hung out in a bunch of dive bars that my ex's brother knew. There is a great restaurant chain in PA (there is one in Oakland I believe, near the University of Pittsburgh) called Mad Mex. If you like really spicy Mexican and a large list of domestic beers, I highly recommend.

We basically learned that there are parts of Oakland that can be shady and for the love of God if you find yourself in Wilkinsburg get THE **** OUT as fast as you can. We had to stay there with friends and the night we got there, we heard gunshots down the street and the ex had her car robbed. The next morning we were trying to navigate our way out along one way streets and ended up in what looked like the crack production capital of Pennsylvania. A cop pulled us over because he thought we were either looking for drugs or a bunch of lost white kids, and in that case he said, "I don't want to have to respond to another murder scene this week."

runnercyclist
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM

...the O is "The Original Hotdog Shop" and it's called "the dirty O" by locals. Because it is. They do have good fries, though. Again, not worth the trip, IMHO.

runnercyclist
03-20-2009, 08:47 PM
As far as night life, I hung out in a bunch of dive bars that my ex's brother knew. There is a great restaurant chain in PA (there is one in Oakland I believe, near the University of Pittsburgh) called Mad Mex. If you like really spicy Mexican and a large list of domestic beers, I highly recommend."

Mad Mex rocks. Love their Turkey Chili!

DJay23
03-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Mad Mex rocks. Love their Turkey Chili!

They have one in State College (or had, it's been a while) that I try to get to every once in a while. I usually get a mess of tacos. I don't shit right for a few days after a visit there!

2bikemike
03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry for the delay...

While I'm not in Da 'burg any longer there are definitely some must do's.

1. Go to FatHeads on Carson, about 100 great beers and sandwiches the size of your head.

2. The largest Belgian beer bar in the US is in Pittsburgh. It is called Sharp Edge (there are 3 but my favorite is The Creek House in Crafton).

3. Church Brew Works is pretty cool. It is a brewpub in an old church. Ok beer and pretty good food.

Those are definitely the highlights of Pittsburgh. Others will say you've got to hit Primanti's but it's not all that.

Heinz Field and PNC Park are pretty cool to look at and the confluence of the three rivers. Those sites can be taken in while near Fatheads.

Enjoy!

Yeah Primanti's sucks. But the Church Brew Works is pretty cool. Drink a couple Papal Indulgences but don't drive afterward. I personally didn't like the taste but they definately are potent.

KC Jones
03-21-2009, 08:33 AM
...the O is "The Original Hotdog Shop" and it's called "the dirty O" by locals. Because it is. They do have good fries, though. Again, not worth the trip, IMHO.

Yeah - that fits my recollection, but if you're 18-22, drunk off your ass at 4am, and want some ridiculously greasy fries laden with MSG, salt, covered with cheese, then dipped in gravy, where else could you go?

DaKCMan AP
03-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks to those who made suggestions - I appreciate(d) it.

I arrived Friday night, unfortunately, much later than expected due to flight delays. I got to my hotel around midnight and was hungry (left for the Tampa airport around 5pm).

Since not much is open late I drove about 15mins to one of the Primanti Brother's locations. It was definitely different but nothing spectacular. I tried the Pastrami with the signature fries and coleslaw on the sandwich. It was good, but I somewhat regretted it the next morning. Generally I try not to eat late in the evening or before going to sleep, especially such unhealthy food. I made sure to get to the gym first thing in the morning and worked out extra. ;)

After the gym I headed into the heart of Pittsburgh, drove around some, and got to the outer edge of the University of Pittsburgh. The reason for my trip was to visit the university. I travel to different colleges in my free time and facilitate sessions/seminars on interpersonal skills to honors engineering students. Anyway, per the recommendation of some here I went to breakfast at Pamela's. Being a single person I was able to get in immediately and ordered the, again uncharacteristically, unhealthy chocolate chip & banana hotcakes. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! These were AMAZING and the best experience of my trip.

After Pamela's I burned some time (and calories) walking around and up and down the hills of campus. I arrived for my session on analytical problem solving around 11:30 and that lasted until 3:30pm. Afterwards I headed to Carson St. and Fat Head's Saloon. At Fatheads I started to get my drink on, watched some college bball and eventually maneuvered myself to a seat at the crowded bar. Sticking with my healthy theme for the weekend I ordered a Headwich. The 'Beefed Up' headwich to be exact. These "sandwiches" are not named lightly - this thing was as big, or larger, than my head. The 'Beefed Up' consists of "mounds of lean corned beef and roast beef grilled together with hot banana peppers and topped with melted Swiss cheese. With lettuce, tomato, onion, tangy dark mustard & italian dressing." I devoured the entire headwich but left many of the chips that accompanied the beast.

At the conclusion of my headwich experience I received a call from my buddy in Tampa who is from Pittsburgh. After inquiring of another bar to check out he recommended Mario's. I walked the 2 blocks to Mario's and continued to drink and watch basketball there ($2 Shock Top's on Saturdays - HOLLA!!!!!).

With an EARLY morning flight back to Tampa I decided to leave Carson St. before the point of no return and somehow managed to make it back across the city to my hotel. Still a little hungry and not wanting to venture far I decided to go ahead and try out Wings, Suds & Spuds - but just a single portion of the trifecta. I ordered the honey garlic wings - hot. They were crisp and hot (temperature wise - medium on the spicy scale) but nothing special. IMO, Tampa has better wings.

Such is my first journey to Pittsburgh. From what I gather it would be fun to bum around Carson St. with a group of my boys - we could get into some good trouble there.

Some observations:

- The University of Pittsburgh campus is large and pretty nice. The students I encountered, at least, were courteous and bright.

- With the predominant type, combined with the usual amount, of food served at restaurants I am bewildred that the city isn't overlowing with obese zombies. Must be all of the hills people walk up and down.

- A lot of people in Pittsburgh smoke.

- The people of Pittsburgh have a seemingly rough exterior but are VERY nice and welcoming. Good people.

- The majority of people I saw at restaurants and bars paid with cash. I'm not used to seeing this so I definitely noticed. I use credit for everything, as do most people I know in Florida, so it was different to see.

- The city is like none I have visited before. It all looks very industrial and old and a different architectural type than I've seen. It was interesting. Heinz Field looks pretty neat from the outside.

Buehler445
03-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Missed this thread. I've only been to Pittsburgh once. The only thing I did is go to the airport and the church pub.

While I thought I was going to get struck down by god, it was really a cool place. I'd reccommend it if you go back.

DJay23
03-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks to those who made suggestions - I appreciate(d) it.

I arrived Friday night, unfortunately, much later than expected due to flight delays. I got to my hotel around midnight and was hungry (left for the Tampa airport around 5pm).

Since not much is open late I drove about 15mins to one of the Primanti Brother's locations. It was definitely different but nothing spectacular. I tried the Pastrami with the signature fries and coleslaw on the sandwich. It was good, but I somewhat regretted it the next morning. Generally I try not to eat late in the evening or before going to sleep, especially such unhealthy food. I made sure to get to the gym first thing in the morning and worked out extra. ;)

After the gym I headed into the heart of Pittsburgh, drove around some, and got to the outer edge of the University of Pittsburgh. The reason for my trip was to visit the university. I travel to different colleges in my free time and facilitate sessions/seminars on interpersonal skills to honors engineering students. Anyway, per the recommendation of some here I went to breakfast at Pamela's. Being a single person I was able to get in immediately and ordered the, again uncharacteristically, unhealthy chocolate chip & banana hotcakes. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! These were AMAZING and the best experience of my trip.

After Pamela's I burned some time (and calories) walking around and up and down the hills of campus. I arrived for my session on analytical problem solving around 11:30 and that lasted until 3:30pm. Afterwards I headed to Carson St. and Fat Head's Saloon. At Fatheads I started to get my drink on, watched some college bball and eventually maneuvered myself to a seat at the crowded bar. Sticking with my healthy theme for the weekend I ordered a Headwich. The 'Beefed Up' headwich to be exact. These "sandwiches" are not named lightly - this thing was as big, or larger, than my head. The 'Beefed Up' consists of "mounds of lean corned beef and roast beef grilled together with hot banana peppers and topped with melted Swiss cheese. With lettuce, tomato, onion, tangy dark mustard & italian dressing." I devoured the entire headwich but left many of the chips that accompanied the beast.

At the conclusion of my headwich experience I received a call from my buddy in Tampa who is from Pittsburgh. After inquiring of another bar to check out he recommended Mario's. I walked the 2 blocks to Mario's and continued to drink and watch basketball there ($2 Shock Top's on Saturdays - HOLLA!!!!!).

With an EARLY morning flight back to Tampa I decided to leave Carson St. before the point of no return and somehow managed to make it back across the city to my hotel. Still a little hungry and not wanting to venture far I decided to go ahead and try out Wings, Suds & Spuds - but just a single portion of the trifecta. I ordered the honey garlic wings - hot. They were crisp and hot (temperature wise - medium on the spicy scale) but nothing special. IMO, Tampa has better wings.

Such is my first journey to Pittsburgh. From what I gather it would be fun to bum around Carson St. with a group of my boys - we could get into some good trouble there.

Some observations:

- The University of Pittsburgh campus is large and pretty nice. The students I encountered, at least, were courteous and bright.

- With the predominant type, combined with the usual amount, of food served at restaurants I am bewildred that the city isn't overlowing with obese zombies. Must be all of the hills people walk up and down.

- A lot of people in Pittsburgh smoke.

- The people of Pittsburgh have a seemingly rough exterior but are VERY nice and welcoming. Good people.

- The majority of people I saw at restaurants and bars paid with cash. I'm not used to seeing this so I definitely noticed. I use credit for everything, as do most people I know in Florida, so it was different to see.

- The city is like none I have visited before. It all looks very industrial and old and a different architectural type than I've seen. It was interesting. Heinz Field looks pretty neat from the outside.

Cool, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself in PA.