PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Do you find the Subway commercial...well...GAY?

petegz28
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Ok, you walk into a sub shop, when asked by the employee what you would like to order, a group of people barge in and start singing and dancing like there is no tomorrow about a $5 footlong.

I am sorry but that just wreaks of gayness. Especially when the dancers are so energetic and dancing like a bunch of people trying to get in the next casting of Mama Mia.

Pestilence
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM

Pestilence
5 Dollar

Pestilence
5 Dollar Footlllllllooooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg

88TG88
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
quite gay

kysirsoze

5 Dollar

5 Dollar Footlllllllooooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg

ANY!!! FOOTLONG!

Mr. Krab
The fact that you put that much "gay thought" into a commercial is pretty gay.

keg in kc
Subway's done a great job for years at running horrible commercials that somehow hammer their way into your subconscious.

DaFace
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
reeks

(sorry - I've just noticed lately how often that is misued, and it's starting to bug me)

HIChief
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Sexually suggestive, yes. Gay, no.

Pestilence
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
reeks

(sorry - I've just noticed lately how often that is misued, and it's starting to bug me)

I was going to call him on it.....but I went another direction.

kysirsoze
03-20-2009, 04:41 PM
If by "gay" you mean annoying and ineffective as an ad strategy I would agree with you.

If you mean that this commercial is inherently homosexual in nature... well, yeah it's pretty gay.

rad
03-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Subway's done a great job for years at running horrible commercials that somehow hammer their way into your subconscious.

...with a 5 dollar footlong pink rubber penis.

rad
03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
The fact that you put that much "gay thought" into a commercial is pretty gay.

The fact that you put that much thought into his "gay thought" into a commercial is pretty gay.

morphius
03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
All I can think about when I see those damn commercials is Cartman running around saying, "five dolla make you happy (foot) long time"

I'm so broken.

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I used to really hate this one:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qeWbg4mVW8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1qeWbg4mVW8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Buehler445
03-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Not as gay as watever commercial has flo and the two guys talking about the watch. THAT is a gay commercial.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
03-20-2009, 04:49 PM
This thread is gay

keg in kc
03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
This thread is gayIs that what drew you in, thailor? [/hipsway]

Oh shit, you're right. Everybody get out. Fast.

Fish
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Gay or not, the marketing was effective.... here we are talking about the commercial on a football forum.

Halfcan
03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I hate scrubway-I thought the gay Jared commercials were bad.

TinyEvel
03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Showtunes are not gay. Maybe a large number of men who like showtunes are gay, but I don;t think they're trying to be gay here.

What is gay is that gears 2 commercial where Marcus Fenix and that guy who looks like Shawn Merriman are going under the ground in that man-sized anal probe, and they are eyeing each other.

QuikSsurfer
03-20-2009, 06:01 PM
What is gay is that gears 2 commercial where Marcus Fenix and that guy who looks like Shawn Merriman are going under the ground in that man-sized anal probe, and they are eyeing each other.

They should have just stuck a crying baby doll in a room with a 360 console, I agree.

TinyEvel
03-20-2009, 06:25 PM
They should have just stuck a crying baby doll in a room with a 360 console, I agree.

I thought the baby melted?

speak24
03-20-2009, 07:07 PM
flaming rainbow...

Katipan
03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Freecreditreportdotcom tell your friends tell your dad tell your mom
nevermind that we're singing our song when we first showed up with our pirate hats on

Thig Lyfe
03-20-2009, 07:12 PM
ONLY GAYS SING

whoman69
03-20-2009, 09:28 PM
It could be worse. They could have Chris Rock doing commercials for the $5 footlong.

Ultra Peanut
03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I find your threads...well...RETARDED.

SNR
03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
If by "gay" you mean annoying and ineffective as an ad strategy I would agree with you.

If you mean that this commercial is inherently homosexual in nature... well, yeah it's pretty gay.Ineffective? Hardly.

How lame are the Geico cavemen? The Gecko was an okay commercial after the first one. Turning these dumbass commercials into literary folk heros is the worst idea ever. It pisses people off, pretty much.

But the advertisement is effective. If I asked you to name a car insurance brand, and Geico wasn't the first thing that popped into your head, you either don't watch TV or you're weird.

Same thing with the $5 footlong song. It's in your brain, and you'll remember these advertisements until you die. That's what their purpose is.

keg in kc
03-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Same thing with the $5 footlong song. It's in your brain, and you'll remember these advertisements until you die. That's what their purpose is.And the concept is so popular that $5 subs are everywhere. I got one from Mr. Goodcents yesterday, and Quizno's had them for a while (not sure if they still do or not).

SNR
03-21-2009, 12:37 AM
And the concept is so popular that $5 subs are everywhere. I got one from Mr. Goodcents yesterday, and Quizno's had them for a while (not sure if they still do or not).I was there just today. They have these new long and thin sandwiches (14 inches I think it said) for $4. A few of them looked like good sandwiches, especially the italian

blaise
03-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Just on the subject of commercials. I was in a bar today watching the Missouri game and that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial came on where the guy shines a light in the player's face to make him miss a shot, so people can watch overtime. I was just about to say to my wife that it was stupid and sucky when some guy like three feet away says to his friends, "This commercial is HILARIOUS!"
No, no it isn't.

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 01:36 AM
They must be pimping the Oklahamo this week.

Stevie.Wonder
03-21-2009, 01:57 AM
I intended to come in here and raise hell.

Singing and dancing? Yes. It IS the ghey. Do I expect to catch teh ghey from it? No. I'd like my sammich. Can I say foot long without being emasculated? Yes. I'd like my footlong with cheese and veggies.

:cuss: Put my footlong in my hole!

Katipan
03-21-2009, 07:07 AM
I intended to come in here and raise hell.

Singing and dancing? Yes. It IS the ghey. Do I expect to catch teh ghey from it? No. I'd like my sammich. Can I say foot long without being emasculated? Yes. I'd like my footlong with cheese and veggies.

:cuss: Put my footlong in my hole!

ooooook

KcMizzou
03-21-2009, 07:32 AM
ooooook
Gotta be Smed.

Baconeater
03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Gotta be Smed.
Nah, it made way too much sense to be Smed.

Comanche
03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, don't forget the "JAZZ HANDS" at the end of the commercial! You have to admit, however, the commercial has gotten your attention!

Ok, you walk into a sub shop, when asked by the employee what you would like to order, a group of people barge in and start singing and dancing like there is no tomorrow about a $5 footlong.

I am sorry but that just wreaks of gayness. Especially when the dancers are so energetic and dancing like a bunch of people trying to get in the next casting of Mama Mia.

Sure-Oz
03-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Mr goodcents has $5 footlongs, ftw

DaneMcCloud
03-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Mr goodcents has $5 footlongs, ftw

I had a friend that owned three Mr. Goodcents locations back in the early 90's. I always remembered them as being really good.

The last time I was in KC (back in 2007), we stopped and grabbed a few.

Totally disappointing. No where near as good as Quiznos.

Did I hit a bad location or what?

---------------------------------------------------

As for the commercial, I don't find it "gay" at all. I'm in contact with "real" gay people nearly every day, whether it's neighbors, colleagues or just the general public. I've yet to encounter any gay people that sing and dance upon meeting.

I'm guessing that Pete finds "Footloose", "High School Musical", "Grease" and any Broadway musical to be "gay" as well.

What a cool guy. :shake:

Sure-Oz
03-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I had a friend that owned three Mr. Goodcents locations back in the early 90's. I always remembered them as being really good.

As for the commercial, I don't find it "gay" at all. I'm in contact with "real" gay people nearly every day, whether it's neighbors, colleagues or just the general public. I've yet to encounter any gay people that sing and dance upon meeting.

I'm guessing that Pete finds "Footloose", "High School Musical", "Grease" and any Broadway musical to be "gay" as well.

What a cool guy. :shake:

You must have, but ive only gone to 2 total locations and their subs are great. I love Quiznos but damn that shit is unhealthy but good

DaneMcCloud
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
You must have, but ive only gone to 2 total locations and their subs are great. I love Quiznos but damn that shit is unhealthy but good

Cool, good to know. I'll have to give Goodcents a shot again.

Sully
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Just on the subject of commercials. I was in a bar today watching the Missouri game and that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial came on where the guy shines a light in the player's face to make him miss a shot, so people can watch overtime. I was just about to say to my wife that it was stupid and sucky when some guy like three feet away says to his friends, "This commercial is HILARIOUS!"
No, no it isn't.

Might have been me.
I think it's funny. Especially the T-Shirt gun part.

Jilly
03-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Might have been me.
I think it's funny. Especially the T-Shirt gun part.

ha ha! It totally WAS you!!!!

SNR
03-21-2009, 05:30 PM

What a cool guy. :shake:Depends on what musical.

CATS is gay as fuck. Songs about "Mungojerrie and rumpleteaser" and "Magical Mr. Mistoffoles" being sung by men in skin-tight cat costumes, while dancing and crawling around on stage. Oh, and the music is by Andrew Lloyd Webber. That is disturbingly gay.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 09:57 PM
It would be a gay commercial if a guy in the subway bent another guy over a table and fucked him up the ass. Now that would really really be gay and everybody would be talking about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thig Lyfe
03-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Jimmy John's is the best sub place evah. They're my usual place. I've been to Quizno's, Jersey Boyz and Jimmy John's in the past week, and while all three were good meals, JJ blew the other two out of the water.

Subway is mostly kinda meh for me, and I don't remember the last time I ate at Goodcent's.

They're all fine, though. It's hard to screw up a sub.

Fairplay
03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
:thailor:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGHg09d8y0c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGHg09d8y0c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Jersey Mikes is very good
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Jimmy John's is the best sub place evah. They're my usual place. I've been to Quizno's, Jersey Boyz and Jimmy John's in the past week, and while all three were good meals, JJ blew the other two out of the water.

Subway is mostly kinda meh for me, and I don't remember the last time I ate at Goodcent's.

They're all fine, though. It's hard to screw up a sub.

Never put Jimmy Johns and Jersey Boyz in the same sentence ever again. The former is a glorified Subway, but the latter is East-coast goodness.

Order a #2, lettuce, mayo, some onion, and salt & pepper. Thank me later.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I've been to Jersey Mikes. Where is Jersey Boyz?
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
I've been to Jersey Mikes. Where is Jersey Boyz?
Posted via Mobile Device

In Staaannnley, Kansas. 151st and Metcalf.

Thig Lyfe
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Never put Jimmy Johns and Jersey Boyz in the same sentence ever again. The former is a glorified Subway, but the latter is East-coast goodness.

Order a #2, lettuce, mayo, some onion, and salt & pepper. Thank me later.

I'm telling you, man, I ate at JB yesterday and JJ today and JJ was just a better sandwich.

The bread might be the difference.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't love JB.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
In Staaannnley, Kansas. 151st and Metcalf.

Hmmm. Lunch sunday. What meat is in the #2?
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm telling you, man, I ate at JB yesterday and JJ today and JJ was just a better sandwich.

The bread might be the difference.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't love JB.

Jersey Boyz was/is my favorite, so I'm biased.

Jimmy Johns has good bread, but the meat is prepackaged, like a Subway. At Jersey Boyz, you're getting great bread and fresh-sliced meat. Unfortunately, I don't live in KS anymore, so no sub for me!

Pioli, the #2 is ham and capicola. Traditional Italian. I've probably consumed a 1,000 of these sumbitches.

Thig Lyfe
03-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Jersey Boyz was/is my favorite, so I'm biased.

Jimmy Johns has good bread, but the meat is prepackaged, like a Subway. At Jersey Boyz, you're getting great bread and fresh-sliced meat.

Pioli, the #2 is ham and capicola. Traditional Italian. I've probably consumed a 1,000 of these sumbitches.

Maybe it's in my mind, but JJ has always tasted much fresher than Subway to me.

You're right though, JB makes a very fresh sandwich.

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe it's in my mind, but JJ has always tasted much fresher than Subway to me.

You're right though, JB makes a very fresh sandwich.

Oh, yeah. It's hyperbole on my part.

JJ is a pretty nice option, and I gladly eat there from time to time. Nothing wrong with their food at all.

I can't tell you the last time I've set foot in a Subway, though. 7 years? Maybe more.

Pioli Zombie
03-21-2009, 11:16 PM
One of the things I miss about Massachusetts is D'Angelos Subs. I would kill for a #9 or a cheeseburger sub with extra cheese ketchup mayo lettuce and bacon.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 11:20 PM
One of the things I miss about Massachusetts is D'Angelos Subs. I would kill for a #9 or a cheeseburger sub with extra cheese ketchup mayo lettuce and bacon.
Posted via Mobile Device

I Googled D'Angelos, out of curiosity, and this does look good.

SNR
03-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I may go to Jimmy Johns in the next couple days. I like their italian beef with the vinegar, and I haven't eaten at one in months

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Best old school, "old neighborhood" meatball sub in KCMO. Italian owned and operated, been in business since Moses, and the 100% Real Deal:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/LaSalasDeli.jpg

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 11:36 PM
It's nails when you can find a good hole in the wall.

Thig Lyfe
03-21-2009, 11:36 PM
D'Bronx in Westport is pretty damn good.

DeezNutz
03-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Reminds me of Torreon in Overland Park.

Mexican restaurant, obviously. Absolute fucking money.

Nice building, but tiny.

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 11:40 PM
It's nails when you can find a good hole in the wall.

They only do lunch, they close at 3pm, and there's a line out that door every day in the nice weather and summer months.

HUGE menu for such a small place.

KcMizzou
03-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Best old school, "old neighborhood" meatball sub in KCMO. Italian owned and operated, been in business since Moses, and the 100% Real Deal:"Dicks like Jesus."

Darth CarlSatan
03-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Mexican restaurant, obviously. Absolute fucking money.

Nice building, but tiny.

This is the corner of SW Boulevard and Belleview. Two blocks down is a place called Ortega's Market. This where the long time residents of the West Side eat. I would have never known about this place if it wasn't for one of my Hispanic co-workers at the water department taking me there for lunch.

No Tex-Mex here; this is the authentic fare.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/ORTEGASMARKET.jpg

Darth CarlSatan
03-22-2009, 12:03 AM
"Dicks like Jesus."

LMAO Something like that, yes.

luv
03-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Gay commercials? Yes.

A six inch oven roasted chicken breast on honey oat with the fixin's and apple slices being less than 500 calories. Very cool.

KcMizzou
03-22-2009, 12:08 AM
LMAO Something like that, yes.<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/98z27HJ0gKs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98z27HJ0gKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

luv
03-22-2009, 12:10 AM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/98z27HJ0gKs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98z27HJ0gKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

That was.......interesting.

Darth CarlSatan
03-22-2009, 12:21 AM
<object width="480" height="295">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/98z27HJ0gKs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></object>

LMAO People are goofy.

TJR1486
03-22-2009, 03:17 AM

Mexican restaurant, obviously. Absolute ****ing money.

Nice building, but tiny.

Torreon is good, its my parents favorite mexican restaurant but i havent been there in years. I dont think they have either. Your right though about the building being tiny, its a little bigger than the size of say a subway.

milkman
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
No where near as good as Quiznos.

I've eaten at Quiznos twice.
Once in Santa Barbara and once in San Louis Obispo, and they both sucked ass.

EyePod
03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
It makes me hungry and those women were freaking hot in that commercial...

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I've eaten at Quiznos twice.
Once in Santa Barbara and once in San Louis Obispo, and they both sucked ass.

Yep. So that gives you an idea of how bad Goodcents was at that particular location.

:Lin:

RedNeckRaider
03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Yep. So that gives you an idea of how bad Goodcents was at that particular location.

I have never had any luck at Goodcents or Quiznos. I have tried both a couple time and that was enough. I often eat at subway on Sundays and like their sandwiches.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2009, 01:33 PM

What was wrong with the goodcents you had, what did you order?

They are typically known for the freshness of their food/ingredients. I'd say its a big step up from subway and solid all around. Quiznos def. has way more variety than Goodcents but much much more unhealthy. (which doesnt matter to me cause its a damn good sub haha)

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2009, 03:49 PM
What was wrong with the goodcents you had, what did you order?

They are typically known for the freshness of their food/ingredients. I'd say its a big step up from subway and solid all around. Quiznos def. has way more variety than Goodcents but much much more unhealthy. (which doesnt matter to me cause its a damn good sub haha)

I don't remember exactly, but the meats had no flavor, the lettuce was soggy and the veggies weren't fresh. It was definitely not like I remembered when my good friend owned 3 locations.

unlurking
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.jasonsdeli.com/

Love this place.

Darth CarlSatan
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Quizno's prime rib sub is the greasiest pile of shit ever foisted upon the public.

DaneMcCloud
03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Quite honestly, I never eat at those places. There are so many amazing Jewish Deli's in Los Angeles (Victor's, Jerry's, Art's, Greenblatts, Cantors, etc.) that places like Subway and Quiznos just pale in comparison.

The deli sandwiches from Ralphs deli (a grocery store chain in SoCal) smokes either of those places. They use fresh Boar's Head deli meat and fresh bread from the bakeries.