PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs interested in Vrabel clone?

T-post Tom
03-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Patriots Continue To Scout Vrabel Clone

By By Ed Thompson
Special to PatriotsInsider.com
Posted Mar 20, 2009

It's no secret the Patriots are considering what to do with an intriguing prospect from the Big East, one they have expressed interest in. Now, figuring out whether pre-draft interest turns into Draft day interest is the trick. Certainly Connor Barwin hopes that the attention he's receiving from a killer Pro Day translates into Draft day interest. We're thinking it just might.

Defensive end Connor Barwin has been consistently rising up draft boards as he worked out at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Projected widely as a high second-round draft pick, the buzz on the former tight end is that he's now worked his way into the first-round after an outstanding Pro Day showing.

Barwin ran a 4.47-second 40-time at his Pro Day according to the University of Cincinnati's timer, but some onlookers clocked him at 4.43 to 4.45 seconds. That kind of speed from a 6-foot-4, 256-pound player got the attention of the roughly 40 NFL spectators who had come to the school to watch Barwin and his Bearcats teammates work out. Barwin had previously posted a 4.66 time at the Combine, second-best in his position group, so few NFL talent evaluators had expected him to run again.

Among the most notable attendees were Jets head coach Rex Ryan and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. But in an odd twist, Giants tight ends coach Mike Pope and Jacksonville assistant head coach and tight ends coach, Mike Tice, were also in Cincinnati to get a first-hand look at how Barwin would perform.

Previously, it was believed that all of the NFL clubs interested in Barwin would put him on their roster as an outside linebacker or a tight end. But as he's held private workouts for teams, and based on feedback from coaches yesterday, at least five teams are still evaluating him as a tight end due to his size, speed and athleticism.

During position drills, NFL coaches and scouts were treated to spectacle that is a true rarity. Barwin went through position drills as a defensive end, a linebacker, an offensive lineman to put his blocking skills on display, and as a tight end to show his pass catching skills. While some of the players were winded after their one set of position drills, Barwin confidently worked his way through four sets of position drills.

Although he's already been quite busy with private workouts and visits, he's likely to be in even higher demand after his yet another impressive post-season workout. Barwin worked out for the Patriots on March 10, the Seahawks on the 13th, the Dolphins on the 16th, and the Broncos on the 17th. He also plans to work out at the Bengals' workout for local players on April 14th.

Barwin's already had an official visit with the Buffalo Bills in March, but he has three visits planned for April aleady. He'll kick off his road trips with the Kansas City Chiefs on April 1st and 2nd, then he's off to Tennessee to meet with the Titans on the 5th and 6th. Then it's off to Jacksonville for a visit on the 12th and 13th followed by the Rams on the 15th and 16th.

bdeg
03-21-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm really surprised the only other teams looking at him so far run a 4-3.

Very happy that the two players(Brown) I was very high on are now both visiting the Chiefs.:clap:
Very strange to get news of both on the same night.

He ran a 4.47? You gotta be shitting me. He already dominated every DL or LB at the combine, now he runs faster than most receivers? I don't care how raw he is, good chance he doesn't make it out of the first.

I didn't read that teams were still thinking of putting him at TE. I'm sure he'd be good there, but I'd rather use his expolisiveness to beat OT's. Legit 2-way player in the NFL? Goal-line sure, but maybe more?

Jamie
03-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Vrabel clone? I'm guessing he's white. If Vrabel was 23 years old and had rockets strapped to his back he still couldn't run a 4.47.

T-post Tom
03-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Vrabel clone? I'm guessing he's white. If Vrabel was 23 years old and had rockets strapped to his back he still couldn't run a 4.47.

Maybe it's just their size:
Vrabel: 6'4", 261 lbs, white
Barwin: 6'4", 252 lbs, white

-----or holy shit-----

Vrabel http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/389x205/080131_Mike_Vrabel.jpg

Barwin http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1116890.jpeg

dj56dt58
03-21-2009, 02:13 AM
I'm really surprised the only other teams looking at him so far run a 4-3.

Very happy that the two players(Brown) I was very high on are now both visiting the Chiefs.:clap:
Very strange to get news of both on the same night.

He ran a 4.47? You gotta be shitting me. He already dominated every DL or LB at the combine, now he runs faster than most receivers? I don't care how raw he is, good chance he doesn't make it out of the first.

I didn't read that teams were still thinking of putting him at TE. I'm sure he'd be good there, but I'd rather use his expolisiveness to beat OT's. Legit 2-way player in the NFL? Goal-line sure, but maybe more?

I really hope we get Brown

BryanBusby
03-21-2009, 02:45 AM
He'd be a great pick, but I don't think he'll still be on the board come round 3. :(

googlegoogle
03-21-2009, 03:30 AM
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/connor_barwin.htm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/556598

rad
03-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Patriots Continue To Scout Vrabel Clone

By By Ed Thompson
Special to PatriotsInsider.com
Posted Mar 20, 2009

It's no secret the Patriots are considering what to do with an intriguing prospect from the Big East, one they have expressed interest in. Now, figuring out whether pre-draft interest turns into Draft day interest is the trick. Certainly Connor Barwin hopes that the attention he's receiving from a killer Pro Day translates into Draft day interest. We're thinking it just might.

Defensive end Connor Barwin has been consistently rising up draft boards as he worked out at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Projected widely as a high second-round draft pick, the buzz on the former tight end is that he's now worked his way into the first-round after an outstanding Pro Day showing.

Barwin ran a 4.47-second 40-time at his Pro Day according to the University of Cincinnati's timer, but some onlookers clocked him at 4.43 to 4.45 seconds. That kind of speed from a 6-foot-4, 256-pound player got the attention of the roughly 40 NFL spectators who had come to the school to watch Barwin and his Bearcats teammates work out. Barwin had previously posted a 4.66 time at the Combine, second-best in his position group, so few NFL talent evaluators had expected him to run again.

Among the most notable attendees were Jets head coach Rex Ryan and Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. But in an odd twist, Giants tight ends coach Mike Pope and Jacksonville assistant head coach and tight ends coach, Mike Tice, were also in Cincinnati to get a first-hand look at how Barwin would perform.

Previously, it was believed that all of the NFL clubs interested in Barwin would put him on their roster as an outside linebacker or a tight end. But as he's held private workouts for teams, and based on feedback from coaches yesterday, at least five teams are still evaluating him as a tight end due to his size, speed and athleticism.

During position drills, NFL coaches and scouts were treated to spectacle that is a true rarity. Barwin went through position drills as a defensive end, a linebacker, an offensive lineman to put his blocking skills on display, and as a tight end to show his pass catching skills. While some of the players were winded after their one set of position drills, Barwin confidently worked his way through four sets of position drills.

Although he's already been quite busy with private workouts and visits, he's likely to be in even higher demand after his yet another impressive post-season workout. Barwin worked out for the Patriots on March 10, the Seahawks on the 13th, the Dolphins on the 16th, and the Broncos on the 17th. He also plans to work out at the Bengals' workout for local players on April 14th.

Barwin's already had an official visit with the Buffalo Bills in March, but he has three visits planned for April aleady. He'll kick off his road trips with the Kansas City Chiefs on April 1st and 2nd, then he's off to Tennessee to meet with the Titans on the 5th and 6th. Then it's off to Jacksonville for a visit on the 12th and 13th followed by the Rams on the 15th and 16th.

You serious? Get your own sig!! :cuss:

soundmind
03-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Anyone would want this kid. He's an athletic specimen, and you simply can't have too many of those.

This is where not having that second pick, or the ability to trade down out of that 3 spot is gonna kick us in the pants. I'd cry tears of joy if we got both of them somehow.

whoman69
03-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Seriously a high 2nd round pick for a guy just because he's athletic. Have these guys been talking to Carl Pederson? He's going to be a project moved to a new position. I could see it if they believed his skills lent more to another position, like a smallish defensive end going to linebacker. He had one year as a starter. I just don't see going in the 2nd round for a guy who most likely is going to end up a special teams player.

Mr. Krab
03-21-2009, 11:28 AM
He'd be a great pick in the 3rd rd for us but he probably won't make it that far. Maybe if we trade down in the 1st round and pick up a middle-ish 2nd rounder.

DaneMcCloud
03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Seriously a high 2nd round pick for a guy just because he's athletic. Have these guys been talking to Carl Pederson? He's going to be a project moved to a new position. I could see it if they believed his skills lent more to another position, like a smallish defensive end going to linebacker. He had one year as a starter. I just don't see going in the 2nd round for a guy who most likely is going to end up a special teams player.

Vrabel was a late 3rd rounder (pick 91) for the Steelers. In his first 4 seasons, he racked up a total of 7 sacks and cut in 2000.

I suspect you may be right about his abilities, though I'm sure some team will take him too high.

dj56dt58
03-21-2009, 12:25 PM
why would we want a Vrabel clone when we have...Vrabel?

bdeg
03-21-2009, 12:27 PM

The most valuable trait for a pass rusher to have coming out is explosion. It can't be teached, and Barwin has the best explosion(measured by broad jump) in the draft. Hes got the highest ceiling. He WILL take time to develop, but he could develop into the best player to come out of this draft.

As for the Vrabel comparison, I don't think he's nearly as athletic as Barwin. The comparisons come because both players would play rush backer and some TE.

Sure-Oz
03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
You serious? Get your own sig!! :cuss:

I bet anything thats a fuckup on the board, someone else on here has a sig just like mine and i dont think they put it on there