PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Cheap Shots: NCAA goes WWF (or USJA)

T-post Tom
03-21-2009, 02:33 AM
damn...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNwcw21NAdU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nNwcw21NAdU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KANSAS CITY, Mo. Getting banged around is one thing. Going airborne over an opponent's shoulders from a judo flip is another.

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel was still talking Friday about the takedown of his player, sophomore forward Blake Griffin, in the second half of Thursday night's 82-54 victory over Morgan State in a first-round South Regional game.

Griffin, the unanimous Big 12 player of the year and a candidate for national honors, said some soreness remains in his tailbone but will be fine for today's game against 10th-seeded Michigan.

Capel said he saw a TV replay of the takedown, which resulted in the ejection of Morgan State's Ameer Ali. Initially, Capel said he only saw the incident out of the corner of his eye.

"It was awful," Capel said. "Blake was very, very fortunate. After I left (the interview room) last night and went back to the locker room, the TV was on and they showed it. It just made me even more angry.

"That doesn't need to be in our game. One of the things it could do is make the really elite players not want to be in college long for fear of getting hurt."

As always, Griffin took the high road Friday and said he believes Ali did not intend to hurt him.

"Pretty much we got tangled up," Griffin said. "He took it a little personally. I think he just kind of got caught up in the heat of the moment."

Griffin finished with 28 points and 13 rebounds. Another day at the office for the 6-foot-10, 251-pounder except for getting launched.

As a marked man, Griffin has suffered a concussion, needed stitches to close a cut on his chin and was elbowed below the belt.

"He gets hit like that all the time, and it's not called," Capel said after Thursday's game. "I know he is a difficult guy to officiate. (An opponent has) to be physical with him because he's so physical. But it's borderline ridiculous."

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Cry me a river Capel...

morphius
03-21-2009, 02:58 AM
pretty nice hip toss.

Guru
03-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Cry me a river Capel...Though I do agree with you on some level. That take down warrants his concerns.

BWillie
03-21-2009, 03:07 AM
That was Bush League. Glad Blake is ok.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Though I do agree with you on some level. That take down warrants his concerns.
It was cheap, the dude got ejected...

But I also think Griffen is a pussy on the hardwood...

beach tribe
03-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Love how Blake reacted. that's a mature kid.

Guru
03-21-2009, 04:01 AM

But I also think Griffen is a pussy on the hardwood...He's a pussy because he didn't react and ignored it?

I haven't seen any OU games this year so if you are referring to some other things, I am completely unaware of them.

Skip Towne
03-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Cael should not have put him back in up by 20 with 10 min. to go. Some folks resent having the score run up on them.

the Talking Can
03-21-2009, 06:16 AM
should have just snapped his elbow

pusseeification of america continues

ChiefsFanatic
03-21-2009, 08:23 AM

As a huge KU fan, BG is one of the only players on an opposing team that I really like. From everything that I have seen of games, interviews, etc. the kid really handles himself with class. Now I know that I have not seen everything he has done, but I have never seen him act like a pussy on the court.

Rain Man
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't follow basketball. Is that not legal?

Delano
03-21-2009, 09:01 AM
More WWE moves. ADAM WADDELL off the top rope!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KvY7zv9St4w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KvY7zv9St4w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

greg63
03-21-2009, 10:08 AM
The guy's a complete idiot. He flips Griffin over his back and then has the gall to look like he has no idea why he's being ejected.

greg63
03-21-2009, 10:11 AM
More WWE moves. ADAM WADDELL off the top rope!

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/KvY7zv9St4w&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

LMAOLMAOLMAO

I think he should have been ejected for inflicting self unnecessary roughness.

Mr. Plow
03-21-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm not so sure he is a pussy on the hardwood, but he sure does have a lot of people crying for him when he gets played physical.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I think you can look at that a couple of ways:

On one hand, it's awesome that he was able to let it go, not get himself thrown out or suspended for even longer, or just have it rattle him.

On the other, you don't want to come off as soft on the court, because then every Laimbeer wannabe is going to try and pull a bunch of shit on you.

Altogether, I think the Tim Duncan response is best, but at the same time, you can't bitch out like KG did when Peeler gave him that forearm shiver a couple of years ago.

wild1
03-21-2009, 11:20 AM
i dont see why it's a big issue. some thug wanna be playing basketball for an afterthought school decided he would be a toughguy. he got tossed, his team got bounced from the tourney. If anything it shows that bush league and unprofessional players like that are outclassed in the NCAA tournament

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-21-2009, 11:24 AM
i dont see why it's a big issue. some thug wanna be playing basketball for an afterthought school decided he would be a toughguy. he got tossed, his team got bounced from the tourney. If anything it shows that bush league and unprofessional players like that are outclassed in the NCAA tournament

It's a little different if Griffin lands on his head.

Reerun_KC
03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm not so sure he is a pussy on the hardwood, but he sure does have a lot of people crying for him when he gets played physical.

Same as.... He has luckily or unluckily avoided KU for his college career. Everytime someone bumps him anymore after the concussion incident, he crys like he should be wearing Duke blue... But considering Capel is a Duke grad, this is par for the course...

DrRyan
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Same as.... He has luckily or unluckily avoided KU for his college career. Everytime someone bumps him anymore after the concussion incident, he crys like he should be wearing Duke blue... But considering Capel is a Duke grad, this is par for the course...

:rolleyes: Because KU is the team that all other teams badassness will be judged by. Give me a break homer and please show me where he is crying after contact. I am no OU fan, can stand them really, but your take is ridiculous. Or, maybe my sarcasm meter is broke.