PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Furnace not working

mikeyis4dcats.
03-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I wife commented last night that she thought it was chilly in the house and this morning I wake up and it's down to 60 degrees in here. I head in to check out the furnace and find that it won't kick on. I reset the breaker, and crank up the stat. The blower comes on for about 20 seconds, then the igniter must kick in because I see orange flame glow for about 3 or 4 seconds, then it goes out. The blower continues to run, and I hear hissing.

What's going on HVAC gurus?

Dartgod
03-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Flame sensor probably needs to be cleaned.

http://arnoldservice.com/furnace_flame_sensors.htm

GoTrav
03-21-2009, 09:49 AM

You getting an error code at all? But it sounds like the same thing I had with my Carrier. It was a one screw and some fine grit sandpaper to clean it. I still ended up having to clean it about every two months though.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-21-2009, 10:07 AM

i had started doing this based on some googling, and that appears to have been it.

Thanks!

kcmaxwell
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
if it isnt the flame sensor, it might be your exhuast fan not running... had that problem before

The Rick
03-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I had the exact same problem a few months ago and my problem turned out to be the flame sensor...like others have been saying.

I fixed mine by taking some steel wool and cleaning it off. It's worked fine since. The hardest part, for me, was getting to the sensor.

Bowser
03-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Stack all of your Chiefs media guides from the past 30 years in the middle of the room and burn them. You'll be warm for months!

MIAdragon
03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Move to Miami, we dont need those here.

stlchiefs
03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
It's Spring, you're fine, no need for the furnace for at least 6 months now. Your timing couldn't be better.

PastorMikH
03-21-2009, 01:36 PM
It's Spring, you're fine, no need for the furnace for at least 6 months now. Your timing couldn't be better.

Ditto.

I've already had to run my AC a few times.

Hog Farmer
03-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Sounds like its not getting gas , you need to get one of those portable propane tanks ,put it as close to the igniter as possible and open the valve ,if you get a flame then thats the problem. next you'll need to find where the gas line comes in to your house and start digging. Once you dig down to the gas line continue to dig following the line until you find a leak. The best way to check for a leak is to continually fill your trench with water as you go. When you see bubbles you've found the leak. Yep! That's what you need to do.

NCarlsCorner2
03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Have you paid your gas bill?

It's not the flame sensor if the burners wont come on at all.

Check the gas cock to make sure it's not in the off position.

Skip Towne
03-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Have you paid your gas bill?

It's not the flame sensor if the burners wont come on at all.

Check the gas cock to make sure it's not in the off position.

I had a neighbor lady who was a real bitch. Mean to my dog, etc. I used to wait till it was about 10 degrees then go over and shut her gas off. Wait about a minute and turn it back on. All the pilots are out and no heat. Did that 3 or 4 times and the last time there was a padlock on her gas valve.

Coach
03-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I wife commented last night that she thought it was chilly in the house and this morning I wake up and it's down to 60 degrees in here. I head in to check out the furnace and find that it won't kick on. I reset the breaker, and crank up the stat. The blower comes on for about 20 seconds, then the igniter must kick in because I see orange flame glow for about 3 or 4 seconds, then it goes out. The blower continues to run, and I hear hissing.

What's going on HVAC gurus?

Flame sensor. Get a small socket wrench that will get the flame sensor off, and scrape it off with a sharp knife. Reattach back where it was origionally, and then turn on the furnace.

NCarlsCorner2
03-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I had a neighbor lady who was a real bitch. Mean to my dog, etc. I used to wait till it was about 10 degrees then go over and shut her gas off. Wait about a minute and turn it back on. All the pilots are out and no heat. Did that 3 or 4 times and the last time there was a padlock on her gas valve.

You shut it off at the meter, that's terrible.:thumb:

PastorMikH
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like its not getting gas , you need to get one of those portable propane tanks ,put it as close to the igniter as possible and open the valve ,if you get a flame then thats the problem. next you'll need to find where the gas line comes in to your house and start digging. Once you dig down to the gas line continue to dig following the line until you find a leak. The best way to check for a leak is to continually fill your trench with water as you go. When you see bubbles you've found the leak. Yep! That's what you need to do.

LOL

You're gonna get the guy killed. If the explosion doesn't get him, the heart attack from digging will.

PastorMikH
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM

You didn't padlock it closed????

Lightweight