PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFW: Under Pendergast, Chiefs planning gradual transition to 3-4 'D'

FringeNC
03-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Under Pendergast, Chiefs planning gradual transition to 3-4 'D' (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/WWHI/2009/wwhi032009.htm)
By Michael Blunda
March 20, 2009

One of the big questions after the Chiefs hired GM Scott Pioli was what style of defense he would run. Pioli, coming from New England, was a 3-4 guy, but Kansas City had long employed a 4-3 scheme. From what we hear, though, the recent hiring of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast signifies that a switch to the 3-4 is imminent. Pendergast, who was on the same staff in Arizona as new Chiefs head coach Todd Haley, is expected to utilize a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense similar to the one he ran with the Cardinals. We hear that one of the major reasons the club will use a hybrid — as opposed to a full-blown 3-4 — is because of its current personnel, which is mostly unsuited to run that scheme. Not only is K.C. lacking defensive ends with 3-4 experience, but the team also doesn’t know if DT Glenn Dorsey can be an effective nose tackle. In addition, the Chiefs are thin at the linebacker position and might not have four solid starters by the time the season begins. So while the installation of the 3-4 looks to be in the offing in Kansas City, it probably won’t take full effect this season.

whoman69
03-21-2009, 10:24 AM
It took Captain Obvious all this time to come up with this little blurb?

DrRyan
03-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Under Pendergast, Chiefs planning gradual transition to 3-4 'D'

Which will be completed as soon as Pendergast gets the axe in a season or two.:D

StcChief
03-21-2009, 11:55 AM
no doubt as if we hadn't figured that out based on who was hired.... :)

Cosmos
03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Disappointed Haggins signed with Ariz.

He would have fit nicely off the edge.

RedThat
03-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Disappointed Haggins signed with Ariz.

He would have fit nicely off the edge.

I agree he would have been nice. Especially to add more depth to the LBing core. But I think we easily find someone in the draft to fill that void.

ncCHIEFfan
03-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I just can't help but be excited about the changes in the upcoming seasons

FringeNC
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Btw, I read somewhere that Gil Brandt thought Dorsey could be an effective NT in a 3-4, but not an effective DE.

tonyetony
03-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Btw, I read somewhere that Gil Brandt thought Dorsey could be an effective NT in a 3-4, but not an effective DE.

I just want to see how many of our current d-linemen might be coached up a little, Dorsey being the main one. But I can't help but worry do to the retention of Krumrie as the d-line coach. Hopefully some will flourish under a new staff. But then again there's only one way to go with our pass rush.

tonyetony
03-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I really think our secondary could be young and spectacular if our front seven could improve to be just adequate as opposed to embarrassing.

tonyetony
03-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I really think we'll trade down, but if we end up taking Curry we will be very improved at LB. Think about it, Vrabel, Dj, Curry plus Beisel for short yardage situations. That's a huge improvement from the popcorn vendors we we're trotting out there last year.

bdeg
03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I'd rather have Brown - DM Williams - DJ - Vrabel

milkman
03-21-2009, 07:43 PM
I really think we'll trade down, but if we end up taking Curry we will be very improved at LB. Think about it, Vrabel, Dj, Curry plus Beisel for short yardage situations. That's a huge improvement from the popcorn vendors we we're trotting out there last year.

Improved?
Sure.

But that likes throwing paint on the old beat up pick up truck on blocks in front of your trailer.

It looks a little better, but it still ain't goin' anywhere.

bdeg
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Maybe Pat Thomas instead of Williams. Who do you guys think would be our second ILB?

milkman
03-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe Pat Thomas instead of Williams. Who do you guys think would be our second ILB?

Pat Thomas signed with the Bills.

Rocky Boiman FTW!

tonyetony
03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd rather have Brown - DM Williams - DJ - Vrabel

After last year I could live with that. I don't think Pioli will whiff in the first as long as he makes a defensive pick. Whoever he choses is another new starter on our defense. Keep the right changes coming.

tonyetony
03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Improved?
Sure.

But that likes throwing paint on the old beat up pick up truck on blocks in front of your trailer.

It looks a little better, but it still ain't goin' anywhere.

I really tend to agree with you but.......If we get away from herms beloved cover 2 zone crap and play more man hopefully our new staff will be more creative with their blitz packages than we saw from Hermie's defenses.