PDA

View Full Version : Life Your Job, what's the status? Enjoy, hate, don't have one...what?

Bwana
03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I really loved my job up until about the last six months. Times got slow for the company and that's when the emails started. I have been on quota 4 for 4 years (very hard to do) as a district sales manager, but that didn't help. I was still on the wrong end of the threatening emails about how "your job is in danger if things don't get turned around!"

We went to the company national sales meeting about three months and the president of the company started out the opening session with "We are thinking about cutting all of you loose." He said it while yelling like a drunken sailer and jumping around like a mad man. Great way to set the tone for the week partner." The beat downs continued throughout the week. Those of you who have attended national sales meetings understand what they are all about. Essentially, they are a cheerleading session, to get everyone reenergized to go out there and make sales and to create a warm fuzzy cohesive feeling among the team. They tried that technique at the end of the week, but it was already a waste of time after the week long beat down. Everyone left dazed and sucking on the gun barrel.

The emails got worse and became an everyday occurrence. One day I said enough of this BS. I don't need this, deserve this, nor am I willing to put up with it anymore. I started surfing the on-line job venues with vengeance. Within three weeks, I had several interviews and some great job offers. I still have one more interview before I make up my mind, but I literally have my pick of three great jobs at this point.

I guess I'm here to tell you, that in spite of what the talking heads would have you believe every night on TV, that things are not that bad out there. If you are not happy, you do have the power to make a change, just keep after it and make it happen.

Below is a link that really got me thinking about how it's all about attitude. If you want to stick yourself in a rut, it's easy to do, but it's your choice. Over 90% of the people out there have jobs and a lot of great companies are looking for people.

On a side note, I am going to give my boss his two weeks notice tomorrow.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Article/MSN-1845-Workplace-Issues-Look-on-the-Bright-Side-of-Your-Job/?SiteId=cbmsnbchp41845&sc_extcmp=JS_1845_msnbc&gt1=23000

Sure-Oz
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I really appreciate my job right now, granted im not getting paid nearly what i was 8 months ago but atleast i have a job. Im still applying everywhere like crazy hoping to earn what i did before. Month of april will be great cause im working double hours though.

JASONSAUTO
03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
A couple of years ago I would have been on the LOOKING NOW side but since buying the place life's great

Bowser
03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Good for you Bwana. Don't let miserable assholes dictate how you live. Good luck on your new life.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Also congrats bwana, goodluck!

Bwana
03-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that guys, but that's not why I decided to write this. The message is, if you want it bad enough, you have the power to make it happen. If some of you are in a situation like I'm getting out of, go grab the job market by the nads and give it a big twist until you find what you need.

cdcox
03-22-2009, 01:59 PM
:thumb: I agree that there are opportunities in every economy. I don't think the beat-people-up approach is very effective and am glad you are sending them a message about that.

I enjoy my job. I got a promotion about six months ago and enjoy the new responsibilities. The only problem is that there isn't enough time to do every part of my job well.

Also, I've had to deal with more politics. I prefer to evaluate people and situations based on the facts and transparency, rather than allowing personalities and secret agendas to drive the process. I'm not very experienced in the politics, but so far I've held my own.

Between the workload and the politics, the stress level is too high. I'm hoping that I'll continue to get better and more efficient at my new responsibilities allowing my stress level to drop. I also need to say "no" a little more often. But overall, I enjoy 90% of what I do.

MIAdragon
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
NSFW.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuBRk6tjiUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuBRk6tjiUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Count Alex's Losses
03-22-2009, 02:23 PM
I was still on the wrong end of the threatening emails about how "your job is in danger if things don't get turned around!"

....Essentially, they are a Raw-raw session...

.....I guess I'm hear to tell you...

......On a side not, I am going to give...

Was spelling part of your job description?

KcFanInGA
03-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I lost my job, but I knew it was coming. I hate job politics, but can play them well. But I had a supervisor who just did not want me there. I did not anticipate it taking me this long to find work, but plenty of people are worse off than me right now. Still current on the mortgage !! For now!

Bwana
03-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Was spelling part of your job description?

Nope, primarily the ability to relate to people on a one on one level and persuade them to invest in a given product, or product line. You know, kind of like the same set of skills that enable a person to get laid before they turn 28 years old.

Otter
03-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a really good time to walk out with back turned and your middle finger in the air John Belushi style.

If that cock smoke is delivering that message he's not too far away from the chopping block himself unless he's the owner which would just mean a total melt down.

Go out swinging! :evil:

keg in kc
03-22-2009, 03:05 PM
My job's fine, but I hate working in general. I'm Peter Gibbons; my dream in life is to do nothing.

Otter
03-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a really good time to walk out with back turned and your middle finger in the air John Belushi style.

If that cock smoke is delivering that message he's not too far away from the chopping block himself unless he's the owner which would just mean a total melt down.

Go out swinging! :evil:

Shamelessly quoting myself...

If that cock smoke is delivering that kind of message he's not too far from the chopping block himself and is handling it like a nervous, pimple face, dickwad.

keg in kc
03-22-2009, 03:12 PM
I think you should IM someone else in the office about it, but send it to him instead.

MichaelH
03-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I haven't been crazy about my job since I took it. But I was laid off for 5 weeks right before the holidays and was offered a position. This was back in 2007 before the economy got real bad. Now I am happy to have a job and supporting my family but my present job surely isn't my first choice. I have discovered that my company is hanging the "jobs are scarce and the economy is bad" sign over our heads. I have had to take on extra work without extra pay, work more than 40 hours without OT and deal with things that I shouldn't otherwise have to face. But I am still happy to be working and paying the bills.

Bwana
03-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I have discovered that my company is hanging the "jobs are scarce and the economy is bad" sign over our heads. I have had to take on extra work without extra pay, work more than 40 hours without OT and deal with things that I shouldn't otherwise have to face.

Heh, The same thing happened in our company about five or six months ago. The "sign came out" with the song and dance that times are soooo hard and soooo bad, you are lucky to be working for us. After that, they tossed a lot of extra work load on each of us, to the point that I have been working 12-14 hours a day on weekdays and working Saturday and Sunday most weeks just to keep up.

Well guess what, "lucky" is not the word I would use to be working for them and things are not that bad at all out in job land.

I am honestly looking forward to making the "I'm giving you my two weeks notice" phone call tomorrow. My boss is a bit of a hot head, so he may say, well just leave now! I'm doing the two week notice because it's the right thing to do, I guess I'm old school that way. I have enough cash put away that in the event he does say that, it won't be a bad thing. (I seriously hope he does) I will just catch up on things around the house and get out there and do a little ATVing and fly fishing for a few days as well.

alnorth
03-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I have the best of both worlds. I love my job and I have worked hard the last few years to make myself very hard to replace in a company that's in a damn near recession-proof industry.

I'm a casualty actuary working on pricing for insurance, and specifically my main responsibility is to figure out how we can not lose our ass every year in California's wildfires and earthquake exposure. It's a lot of unique analysis, people pay attention to what I have to say, and ZERO talking to customers. If I got laid off, it would be because the company got hit by the 1-in-100,000 year hurricane, going down and turning off the lights.

Bearcat
03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I guess I'm here to tell you, that in spite of what the talking heads would have you believe every night on TV, that things are not that bad out there. If you are not happy, you do have the power to make a change, just keep after it and make it happen.

Great post, and a very good point. A friend of mine has told me for a few years that they wanted something better, that they would leave their current job by a certain time, blah blah blah... and always had an excuse. Well, their company just downsized, and I asked if they were looking, and they basically said "pfft, in this economy? I don't want to be the last in/first out!". But, you're okay with sticking around and hoping you're not the next out?

I tell people that I'm always looking for my next job. While that's not 100% true, and there's obviously a difference between actively searching and just browsing, I firmly believe that you have to know what's out there. I was happy with my previous job only because it was better than what I was doing before I got it. I now love my job, but I still browse a handful of company's sites once every month or so (including internal jobs) just to see what's out there.

People don't seem to get it when I tell them that, but it's what, 10-15 minutes per month? If I hadn't been leisurely looking while happily doing my previous job, I never would have found something I really love doing.

So, if you don't even like what you're doing, WTF aren't you looking for something better EVERY SINGLE DAY?!?!

wild1
03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
you are totally right. i keep hearing people with this loser thinking - "in this economy..."

whatever. it's BS. If you want something, go out and do it. Don't sit there and complain or work a bad job. there are opportunities out there. you have to be flexible and really work hard in the search as well. whatever you want is out there.

most of the people complaining about how they are helpless 'in this economy' aren't doing anything. but if they are, hey. life is one long string of failures. eventually you will fail and after that you will again.

they key is not being afraid to fail and not letting it become permanent

PRIEST
03-22-2009, 05:18 PM
Roofing /Remodeling in S W Arkansas going good so far :clap:

Cave Johnson
03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Bwana, I don't want to hijack the thread, but how's early July for a trip up to the Yellowstone area? Am thinking about doing a national park trip with an emphasis on hiking at elevation.

chief52
03-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I feel very fortunate to have the position I have. I am a Crew Foreman on an Electric Line Crew. While it can be a bit stressful at times, it is great to be in the outdoors. I know I could not make this kind of money in this area doing anything else.

Can't say I love it, but it ain't bad and the money is very good. Can never see myself going anywhere else.

Buehler445
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't like my job. I really kind of like the work, but the pay is not good, and there are a couple people I work with that are just unfreakingbearable. I'm looking.

I've got a few leads, but there certainly isn't as much out there now as when I took the job almost 2 years ago.

I would like to stay in Sidney, but Cabela's has a hiring freeze on and that pretty much covers the employment for the area.

I have some leads and applications out, but I think my current job is fairly safe, so I'm not going to be taking the first thing that comes along. I'm going to make goddamn sure the situation is better than my current one.

Buehler445
03-22-2009, 05:46 PM
BTW, if anyone has any decent places to look for a job or knows someone hiring, let me know. I have an MBA, and have been working for the last 2 years (almost) doing Internal Audit.

Darth CarlSatan
03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
As undisputed Ruler of a third-world Country( Arizona ), I am perfectly content in my current job.

Bwana
03-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Bwana, I don't want to hijack the thread, but how's early July for a trip up to the Yellowstone area? Am thinking about doing a national park trip with an emphasis on hiking at elevation.

Early July would be to soon if you are going up really high. I hook up with my brother every August in Cooke City and wait until at least the last week of July to plan the trip. PM me as it gets close and I'll let you know what the conditions are like around there.

Demonpenz
03-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I like to do creative things, as most do. I wish I could shake an 18 year old demon into following his dreams until it was just time to settle down instead of being a alchoholic corporate drone. I am ok though.

Baconeater
03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I haven't been crazy about my job since I took it. But I was laid off for 5 weeks right before the holidays and was offered a position. This was back in 2007 before the economy got real bad. Now I am happy to have a job and supporting my family but my present job surely isn't my first choice. I have discovered that my company is hanging the "jobs are scarce and the economy is bad" sign over our heads. I have had to take on extra work without extra pay, work more than 40 hours without OT and deal with things that I shouldn't otherwise have to face. But I am still happy to be working and paying the bills.
Yeah, I wonder how many employers that are playing that card really need to, and how many are just using it to increase the bottom line.

Great post, and a very good point. A friend of mine has told me for a few years that they wanted something better, that they would leave their current job by a certain time, blah blah blah... and always had an excuse. Well, their company just downsized, and I asked if they were looking, and they basically said "pfft, in this economy? I don't want to be the last in/first out!". But, you're okay with sticking around and hoping you're not the next out?

I tell people that I'm always looking for my next job. While that's not 100% true, and there's obviously a difference between actively searching and just browsing, I firmly believe that you have to know what's out there. I was happy with my previous job only because it was better than what I was doing before I got it. I now love my job, but I still browse a handful of company's sites once every month or so (including internal jobs) just to see what's out there.

People don't seem to get it when I tell them that, but it's what, 10-15 minutes per month? If I hadn't been leisurely looking while happily doing my previous job, I never would have found something I really love doing.

So, if you don't even like what you're doing, WTF aren't you looking for something better EVERY SINGLE DAY?!?!
My motto: I was looking for a job when I found this one.

Skip Towne
03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
My job's fine, but I hate working in general. I'm Peter Gibbons; my dream in life is to do nothing.

You'd love my job. Get on social security. It's great. And people make fun of me for being old. Suckers!!!

KcMizzou
03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I've got one. Don't love it, but kinda like it... and would seriously hate to lose it.

I didn't see that option on the poll.

Skip Towne
03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Besides my ss, I hooked up with DTN Corp. installing and servicing their big dishes. I don't get a lot of work but I don't want a lot. One job a week suits me fine. The best part about it is they don't call me much.

88TG88
03-22-2009, 08:12 PM
I like my job. Pay isn't great, but we have a good time. All the dudes there are really cool and we all joke around. Hot chicks come in frequently so it keeps things interesting.

JOhn
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I love my job, and as long as I don't do something like sleep with the guests, I'm pretty secure.

Even with the downturn in the economy, we still expect a good solid season. Not like it has been, but still very busy as always. Luckly the company I work for has zero debt, and is very sound finacially.

Besides which, it's a piece of cake job, and I really enjoy working with the people here, and even look forward to coming to work.:eek:

JOhn
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM

July is a good time, most of the heavy snow gone by then. Though don't plan on a hotel/motel for any stays outside the park at that time of year.

suds79
03-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Why do I have to love my job if I'm not looking?

No "My job is okay or pretty good and I'm not looking?"

DaFace
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I like my job just fine. My boss on the other hand... :D

BWillie
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
WTF is wrong with people. The majority of you LOVE your job? Wow. I didn't think you were supposed to like your job. I guess I'm in the severe minority.

RJ
03-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I had a job I liked but the company went OB.

Another company took over our lease and hired me back. Pretty much the same, I still like my job.

I make a decent middle class income and have a good deal of freedom, i.e., not chained to a desk the whole day. Part of the day, but not the whole day. I have a lot of say in merchandising, purchasing and advertising and my bosses tend to leave me alone. I don't love my job, but I do like it well enough to not be looking.

RJ
03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Speaking of national sales meetings, a couple of months ago I was in the Phoenix airport the same day as the Mary Kay convention was ending. There were thousands of them, and they were all hopped up on Mary Kay propaganda. All of 'em on their cells calling their underling peeps, giving them the rah rah positive imaging stuff, checking out each other's Mary Kay flair. It would have been really funny if they hadn't been so fucking annoying.

Baconeater
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Speaking of national sales meetings, a couple of months ago I was in the Phoenix airport the same day as the Mary Kay convention was ending. There were thousands of them, and they were all hopped up on Mary Kay propaganda. All of 'em on their cells calling their underling peeps, giving them the rah rah positive imaging stuff, checking out each other's Mary Kay flair. It would have been really funny if they hadn't been so ****ing annoying.
Oh man, there's nothing worse than a bunch of hens. Years ago a hotel I was working at hosted a League of Women Voters convention...it was the worst three days of my life.

Al Bundy
03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't like my job and I don't really like going there anymore.. it's more of a downer than anything.

RJ
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh man, there's nothing worse than a bunch of hens. Years ago a hotel I was working at hosted a League of Women Voters convention...it was the worst three days of my life.

I felt truly sorry the various airline/airport employees that day. Seemed like every one of them (Mary Kay) was a major pain in the ass, always complaining about something, demanding something. I had to shoo a couple to the back of a line they were trying to cut into. I don't know if they were being rude or just so wrapped up in the Mary Kay energy that they didn't notice.

I saw a few who had brought their husbands to the convention. Those guys were pitiful looking. They trailed along behind their wives carrying packages and bags, spoken when spoken to, looking sort of sullen.

On a positive note, they helped to kill my three hour wait for my flight. Funny stuff, that Mary Kay.

cdcox
03-22-2009, 11:15 PM
I felt truly sorry the various airline/airport employees that day. Seemed like every one of them (Mary Kay) was a major pain in the ass, always complaining about something, demanding something. I had to shoo a couple to the back of a line they were trying to cut into. I don't know if they were being rude or just so wrapped up in the Mary Kay energy that they didn't notice.

I saw a few who had brought their husbands to the convention. Those guys were pitiful looking. They trailed along behind their wives carrying packages and bags, spoken when spoken to, looking sort of sullen.

On a positive note, they helped to kill my three hour wait for my flight. Funny stuff, that Mary Kay.

Would have made a great Robert Altman film.

Bwana
03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Speaking of national sales meetings, a couple of months ago I was in the Phoenix airport the same day as the Mary Kay convention was ending. There were thousands of them, and they were all hopped up on Mary Kay propaganda. All of 'em on their cells calling their underling peeps, giving them the rah rah positive imaging stuff, checking out each other's Mary Kay flair. It would have been really funny if they hadn't been so ****ing annoying.

ROFL

It's unreal what you run into at airports. I was in Salt Lake a few years ago and sat next to the lady with the world record finger nails. People were showing up by the hundreds to see the side show. At another point in time, I got on a plane full of Amway people from Salt Lake to Atlanta. You want to talk about 3 hours of living hell.

seclark
03-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I've got one. Don't love it, but kinda like it... and would seriously hate to lose it.

this is where i sit...

i've worked for the same company for 28 years. worked everywhere from behind a desk programming, to the top of cell towers installing wireless access points.

do i love it? no...it's a job. but it keeps me learning, and pays the wifes credit cards, so i'll keep plugging along.

sec

Jilly
03-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I love my job. I love the church and I love the people, but I've been feeling something (probably that crazy God of mine) urging me to make a move. It's weird. We've had record growth, we're thinking about building because we've run out of space, some great things are really happening and it is an exciting place to be right now, I can't figure out why I would need to move. But, ever since I heard about this church up north looking for a young adult/youth/justice minister...my mind and heart have been spinning. So I'm not sure if it's just a grass is greener kind of thing or a God thing. Dont' know why I felt the need to tell any of you that, but it felt good to say it out loud anyways.

MahiMike
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Nope, primarily the ability to relate to people on a one on one level and persuade them to invest in a given product, or product line. You know, kind of like the same set of skills that enable a person to get laid before they turn 28 years old.

ooohhhh, burn.

XXXshogunXXX
03-24-2009, 03:01 AM
I loved my job. It was very easy and it used to involve alot of traveling, places like New Orleans, Hawaii, Pentagon, etc. They put me in 4 star hotels, own rental, and per diem taken care of by my company. There would be alot of days when Id finish work early and work only 2 - 4 hours a day, mostly all the time. Since I was on travel, the only thing left to do was drink and party.

About a year ago I was in line for a promotion, I was secretly told by my supervisor they had a vote and I was in. It paid about $30,000 more annually, and they worked even less. But then they merged project managers and supervisors into one position, it kinda blurred the role and lessened my chances of being picked up since there more of them. Then the economy went to shit, and they havent hired a supervisor since. Now theyre actually kinda cutting down. They also stuck me at Camp Pendleton for months, which is about an hour away from my house, with no reimbursement.

Last week I had a job interview, same company, but entirely different position. I thought I choked the interview but found out a few days later I got it. The same day I found my job was going to send me to Japan for 1 month in the summer. My coworkers who've been there said its one of the best trips to go on.
oh well....I lose out on that, as well as my leadership role but I'll get paid more. Travel is non existent in my new job, and now I actually have to work full 40 hour weeks. =(

BigMeatballDave
03-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Laid-off 3 weeks ago.

Saulbadguy
03-24-2009, 08:10 AM
I like my job, don't "love" it. I don't mind going there and some days I look forward to coming to work.

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 08:16 AM
i dont hate it but i am loyal.

Katipan
03-24-2009, 08:21 AM
So I'm not sure if it's just a grass is greener kind of thing or a God thing. Dont' know why I felt the need to tell any of you that, but it felt good to say it out loud anyways.

It's your desire babygirl. God's just giving you the option.

You want out of your house anyway. Maybe this is a good reason to go.

Chief Henry
03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Good luck with your new career endeavor Bwana.

I've been very fortunate in my business. Very fortunate.

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey, Bwana, did you quit yet? How did it go?

Bwana
03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey, Bwana, did you quit yet? How did it go?

I did indeed. I gave my two week notice yesterday and it went very well. They tried everything they could think of to get me to stay, but I had made up my mind. I am taking a week for myself before I start my new job as well. There are fish to be caught, trails to be ridden and bears to be tamed. :)

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I did indeed. I gave my two week notice yesterday and it went very well. They tried everything they could think of to get me to stay, but I had made up my mind. I am taking a week for myself before I start my new job as well. There are fish to be caught, trails to be ridden and bears to be tamed. :)

Will you be doing the same thing in your new job?

Buehler445
03-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Good deal Bwana! I am currently looking for a new gig. Hopefully I can have the same success you did.

Good call on taking the week off. I did not do that the last time, and really really wish I would have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bweb
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
I like my job, don't "love" it. I don't mind going there and some days I look forward to coming to work.

This explains my situation as well.

Bwana
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Will you be doing the same thing in your new job?

I will still be a district sales manager, but won't be dealing with auto parts.

Braincase
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I love my job. I've been there 6 years this month, and we underwent a merger with another training company a few years ago. They make me feel like a valued employee, and they know I'm a team player. Their expectations are realistic - the first time I teach a class, there are always a few bumps, but after that, things tend to go pretty smooth.

(BRC had the misfortune of sitting in on one of my first time teaches, and I think Saul's had one as well. They can't all be gems)

JOhn
03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I will still be a district sales manager, but won't be dealing with auto parts.

Are you still going to be coming to the Cody area often? I know I know a hotel were I can hook you up with all the free drinks you want. :thumb::D

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I love my job. I've been there 6 years this month, and we underwent a merger with another training company a few years ago. They make me feel like a valued employee, and they know I'm a team player. Their expectations are realistic - the first time I teach a class, there are always a few bumps, but after that, things tend to go pretty smooth.

(BRC had the misfortune of sitting in on one of my first time teaches, and I think Saul's had one as well. They can't all be gems)

What do you teach?

mlyonsd
03-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm a z/OS system programmer (big mainframes) and I love what I do.

That being said I work for a power company that is looking to cut costs. That means they look for cheaper but not as stable operating systems to run their applications.

Our customer system, which many of you use anytime you call in, is being looked at to be moved to a mid tier OS.

If the brains above choose to put gas leaks and downed power lines on that type of an OS I'll look to do something else because I won't be part of endangering our consumer's lives.

JOhn
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM

ROFL

Yup, that's my world. But really I like my job, just have to learn to not let the crap get to you. Only guests we have here that I can't stand are the French tourists, rude as hell.

All our conventions that we host are really not bad. Had the BOW hunters assoc here last weekend, actually was pretty cool bunch.

Over-Head
03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
I made the move to full custom plaster work only a year ago, or large up scale mansion where I could show case my work.

In the last year of former boss's kicking me in the teth, getting boned a few times on unpaid houses, or work etc. (ALL of these occured in subdivisions where necessity breeded another small side project)

It's been a rough year since I left the stright mud/tape/paint subdivision houses, but by sticking to my prim directive of
Quality, Service (7 days a week), and NEVER over booking.
My company moto is "I'll tell you a bad truth before a good lie", and currantly have client waiting up to 6 weeks to have me do ceilings or their custom homes, or custom work.

-I celiberated my first year by taking the wife out to the classy steak house,(dropped $250.00 and I wince at $30.00 for half assed Chineese)
- having the owner of a Raido station give me his private number to talk about a custom ceiling.

-Started a house last week for the most profilic builder in Easter Canada
(A simple mill and a half summer home for a political big wig, and a mill and a half is BIG in NL)

-Met MP Jack Harris on teh boat home showed him my portfolio and got another ceiling job in about 6 months.

- Got a house comming up from another builder second to the one I'm working for now , to do an 18,000sq/ft monster next month.

-Now instead of chasing assholes for my cash one day a month, I have class builders making sure they get me progress payments before they leave for a week, on a job they haven't even asked a price for , nor will do anything but write the cheque when I'm done.
Then tell me "IF" my schedual allows could I posibly take on this project for them.

-Best of all,
on the homes i'm doing now, I don't get asked the second I show up,
"So when do you think we'll see some paint on the walls?"
I get hand shakes from very rich home owners thanking me for showing up.

This year has been hell , but I finally love what I do every day.

Braincase
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
What do you teach?

I'm a Microsoft Certified Trainer. I teach people how to set up, administer & trouble shoot computer networks that are based on Microsoft operating systems. My primary foci are Windows Server 2003 & 2008, Windows XP, Vista & 7, and Microsoft messaging products. I also teach computer network security courses, usually for the military.

Over-Head
03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm a Microsoft Certified Trainer. I teach people how to set up, administer & trouble shoot computer networks that are based on Microsoft operating systems. My primary foci are Windows Server 2003 & 2008, Windows XP, Vista & 7, and Microsoft messaging products. I also teach computer network security courses, usually for the military.

I finally figured out how to use word perfect :D

Bwana
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Are you still going to be coming to the Cody area often? I know I know a hotel were I can hook you up with all the free drinks you want. :thumb::D

I just may be!

keg in kc
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I just may be!Just don't sign anything. You'll need some avenue for legal recourse when you wake up the next morning with a headache and suspicious lubricant-like material around the rectal area.

KCinNY
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I loathe and despise my job but.......I have a family to support so my personal fufillment is of little value.

JOhn
03-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Just don't sign anything. You'll need some avenue for legal recourse when you wake up the next morning with a headache and suspicious lubricant-like material around the rectal area.

ROFL

Not likely, I don't want to be dismembered 7 used for bear bait. :eek: but if he wakes up with some nasty chick next to him, I claim no responsibility.

JOhn
03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I just may be!

Make sure you let me know when your coming to town. If you stay here, I'll try and hook you up in the suite if it's not booked. :thumb:

And the drinks will be on me. :thumb:

Bwana
03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Make sure you let me know when your coming to town. If you stay here, I'll try and hook you up in the suite if it's not booked. :thumb:

And the drinks will be on me. :thumb:

Done deal bud.

badgirl
03-25-2009, 12:05 AM
you are totally right. i keep hearing people with this loser thinking - "in this economy..."

whatever. it's BS. If you want something, go out and do it. Don't sit there and complain or work a bad job. there are opportunities out there. you have to be flexible and really work hard in the search as well. whatever you want is out there.

most of the people complaining about how they are helpless 'in this economy' aren't doing anything. but if they are, hey. life is one long string of failures. eventually you will fail and after that you will again.

they key is not being afraid to fail and not letting it become permanent

yea right. :rolleyes:

Tell ,the lets say people who were laid off from the auto industry who were making big dollars and owed big dollars, just to be shut down or laid off and now are losing everything that all the opportunities are there as before. Tell those kind of people its not the economy, buts it their own fault.