PDA

View Full Version : KU All Signs Point to Lance Landing at Kansas

Pages : [1] 2

royr17
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/22/all-signs-point-to-lance-landing-at-kansas/

All Signs Point to Lance Landing at Kansas
Posted on Mar 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Lance Stephenson says he’s already chosen his college, and at this point all signs indicate he’ll end up at Kansas.

Based on numerous interviews, Stephenson’s comments in recent days and the history of his recruitment, it’s a safe bet that he ends up in a Jayhawk uniform next season.

Lance says it was between Kansas, Maryland and St. John’s, but several sources said Maryland is not in the picture and one source very close to the decision-making process said Kansas is a heavy favorite.

St. John’s head coach Norm Roberts and assistant coach Fred Quartlebaum have put in a tremendous amount of work on this — and they are to be applauded for that — but St. John’s still hasn’t landed an official visit from Lance.

As for Stephenson’s recent controversial visit to Maryland and the nearby Under Armour facility, sources said that was born out of a favor to Kris Stone, who has a relationship with the Stephensons from his time at the Boost Mobile Elite 24 and now works at Under Armour.

LANCE WANTS TO WIN

Say what you will about Lance, but he wants to win.

Ever since the 7th grade, he wanted to break Sebastian Telfair’s New York State scoring record and he was driven to win more PSAL titles than Telfair, now with the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves.

As of Saturday, mission accomplished.

Lance is the all-time leading scorer in New York history and after posting 24 points, 10 rebounds and five steals in a 78-56 win over Kennedy, he’s now won an unprecedented four straight PSAL titles.

Stephenson told reporters the other day at the Madison Square Garden press conference, “I just want to have a chance to win the [NCAA] tournament, so I’m picking [a college] by that.”

Kansas is the defending national champion and after Sunday’s win over Dayton, the Jayhawks are into another Sweet 16.

Although Lance has often said he likes playing in the Garden and would like to bring St. John’s back, his recent comments would appear to indicate that winning is his paramount priority.

When asked about St. John’s chances of winning the tournament, he told reporters: “I don’t want to talk about college no more.”

When one intrepid reporter asked Stephenson Saturday if f he had played his last game at the World’s Most Famous Arena, Lance said according to The New York Times:

“Maybe I’ll get drafted to the Knicks, who knows? If I keep playing hard and pick the right college and show my talent, I think I’ll be here again.”

If he won’t play at the Garden again until he’s on the Knicks, he’s not likely to suit up for the Johnnies.

THE DANNY MANNING FACTOR

After striking out on Xavier Henry and Dominic Cheek, Kansas desperately needs a wing next year and Kansas coach Bill Self has been involved in Stephenson’s recruitment for an extended period. He sat courtside with a Diet Coke when Lincoln played Duncanville (Texas) on ESPN earlier this year.

Stephenson and his family took an official visit to Kansas last month for the team’s victory over Nebraska. By all accounts, the visit went well.

“The visit was fun,” Stephenson said. “I didn’t know it was going to be like that. The crowd was good to me and my family and I felt comfortable there and I’m just looking forward to see where I can fit into that program.”

“I’ll be back,” he told the fans, according to reports.

Then you factor into all of this Danny Manning’s evolving relationship with the Stephenson family and Kansas’ history in his recruitment, and it seems to cement the deal.

Manning won the 1988 NCAA title with Kansas and was then drafted No. 1 in the NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. Last year alone, Kansas sent five players to the pros.

Manning has been a regular fixture at Stephenson’s games in recent weeks, and would seem to be the ideal role model for a young man looking to one day play in the NBA.

“Danny Manning, I look up to him a lot,” Stephenson told me last week. “He’s a great player and a great assistant coach so I think he’s good.”

THE STRETCH FACTOR

Lance’s dad, Lance Stephenson Sr., known as “Stretch,” has been actively involved in his son’s recruitment from Day One.

And from Day One he has repeatedly said that he wants to get his son out of New York and that he wants to get away from the “hate” factor in New York.

“One thing we’re looking for is a place [different] from New York City,” Stretch told me a while back. “The approach going toward college is to find a nice place that’s excited about basketball but at the same time that’s cozy and secluded which is going to be tough to find.”

Kansas fits this bill.

“Coach Self talked about how secluded it is, and how the college rules the town,” Stretch told me.

Now the complicating factor here is that Kansas doesn’t actually have a scholarship to give Stephenson.

With Thomas Robinson and Elijah Johnson committed for next year, and Arizona transfer Jeff Withey suiting up, the Jayhawks would have 14 scholarship players. With Lance, that would be 15.

Kansas would need both Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich to go pro, or somebody to give up their scholarship, to enable Lance to have one.

Of course, these things often have a way of working themselves out.

Stephenson will make his announcement at the McDonald’s All-American Game March 31 or April 1.

Look for him to pick the Jayhawks.

Reerun_KC
03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh Yeah baby! Man it is so good to be a Jayhawk!!!

Skip Towne
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
He was initially scheduled to announce his decison at MSG at the high school championship. He changed that to announcing it in Miami. Would you want to announce to a pro St. Johns crowd at MSG that you were going to KANSAS?

Skip Towne
03-22-2009, 09:32 PM
MU has a long history of losing prime recruits to other schools. "Smoking Joe from Slater, Mo" to Arkansas. Brandon Rush to Kansas. Tyler Hansbrough to North Carolina. And many more less glamorous recruits. Oops, wrong thread but I don't care. Mizzou doesn't even recruit in the same stratosphere as KU. They pretty much make do with what they have.

BWillie
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Yeah, looks to be at 75-80% chance that "Born Ready" is coming to KU. I still have no idea where they are getting the schollies for these guys. Unless Collins and Aldrich told Bill at the beginning of the season that they are undoubtedly gone at the end of the year.

Either way, looks like Lance knows he needs more discipline to make it to the next level. There was a quote along the lines how he things Self can mold him into a man or something along those lines. I know he is often portrayed of being a problematic player, but if anybody can mold him into the team game it is Self. They said that about Rush to and I never at one time saw it. He was the most unselfish player I've ever seen with as much talent as he did.

doomy3
03-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Damn, I really hope this comes true. If Cole and Sherron stay and we can add Stephenson, things are looking REALLY good.

Sam Hall
03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
What about John Wall?

arrowheadnation
03-22-2009, 09:49 PM
What about John Wall?

He's going to Memphis.

DaWolf
03-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, looks to be at 75-80% chance that "Born Ready" is coming to KU. I still have no idea where they are getting the schollies for these guys. Unless Collins and Aldrich told Bill at the beginning of the season that they are undoubtedly gone at the end of the year.

Either way, looks like Lance knows he needs more discipline to make it to the next level. There was a quote along the lines how he things Self can mold him into a man or something along those lines. I know he is often portrayed of being a problematic player, but if anybody can mold him into the team game it is Self. They said that about Rush to and I never at one time saw it. He was the most unselfish player I've ever seen with as much talent as he did.

I've heard the Morningstar family is willing to pay tuition to vacate that schollie. If that doesn't happen, and those guys don't go pro, look for someone like Appelton or Quintrell or someone else who isn't getting much PT to pull a Galindo and transfer...

Kyle DeLexus
03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
He's going to Memphis.

When did that come out? I haven't heard anything yet.

Sam Hall
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Wall's Rivals.com profile has him uncommitted.

Sam Hall
03-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Memphis would have the nation's top three players if they sign Wall.

royr17
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I've heard the Morningstar family is willing to pay tuition to vacate that schollie. If that doesn't happen, and those guys don't go pro, look for someone like Appelton or Quintrell or someone else who isn't getting much PT to pull a Galindo and transfer...

Appleton not a chance since he was a JC transfer now however Quintrell is a different story cause he's not hardly gettin any playin time at all.

Silock
03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Quintrell is just a freshman...

KC_Connection
03-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Nice...he's exactly the kind of athletic wing KU needs...I don't want to see Morningstar starting next season (not that he's done a bad job this year, all things considered).

Now if only Aldrich will stay...

Kyle DeLexus
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Nice...he's exactly the kind of athletic wing KU needs...I don't want to see Morningstar starting next season (not that he's done a bad job this year, all things considered).

We need that in a bad way, and I personally think he will.

arrowheadnation
03-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Wall is going to Memphis. I'd bet my screen name on it.

TJR1486
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
is Releford playing under scholarship? I've heard hes trying to transfer somewhere that he can start

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 12:04 AM

Well I won't be making that bet. I still think we have a shot at him, but I'd just make you spell arrow right so it wouldn't be much fun.

veist
03-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I still don't understand why Wall would want to go to Memphis I mean between Henry and Cousins how is he going to get near as many touches he will want? And that's assuming Evans leaves if Evans stays where are they going to get enough touches to keep them all happy? I mean I can understand Cal and Memphis wanting all that talent but I can't see them all sharing the spotlight like that.

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I still don't understand why Wall would want to go to Memphis I mean between Henry and Cousins how is he going to get near as many touches he will want? And that's assuming Evans leaves if Evans stays where are they going to get enough touches to keep them all happy? I mean I can understand Cal and Memphis wanting all that talent but I can't see them all sharing the spotlight like that.

Thats exactly why I feel we still have a chance. If Sherron leaves, he could step into his spot.

jAZ
03-23-2009, 01:13 AM
He's going to Memphis.

He's going to play for Cal and Pastner, but it might not be at Memphis. Just saying.

the Talking Can
03-23-2009, 04:56 AM
He's going to play for Cal and Pastner, but it might not be at Memphis. Just saying.

arizona going after cal?

i can't see him leaving with X, cousins and wall all in the fold....

Coach
03-23-2009, 05:45 AM

Not sure where that came from. Don't think Aldrich is going anywhere anyways.

ArrowheadHawk
03-23-2009, 08:34 AM
That would be a solid recruiting class.

Mr. Plow
03-23-2009, 08:42 AM
I just got a boner.

Spicy McHaggis
03-23-2009, 09:17 AM
is Releford playing under scholarship? I've heard hes trying to transfer somewhere that he can start

That would be a shame to see a talented local kid go elsewhere. He's got potential to be a Langford type player for this squad (although I'd like him to develop a better jumper than Langford ever had).

If Stephenson really comes to KU, Aldrich stays and we get Withey in Mid-December...

JIMP. Twice.

Mr. Plow
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
arizona going after cal?

i can't see him leaving with X, cousins and wall all in the fold....

I don't see him leaving Memphis for Arizona. He's got too much going for him at Memphis.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
He's going to play for Cal and Pastner, but it might not be at Memphis. Just saying.Arizona fans really are a special kind of deluded.

CoMoChief
03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
If John Wall comes to Kansas. I havent see anywhere where he's verb committed to Memphis. Maybe I'm not looking in the correct places.

But if he chose Kansas along with Stephenson, Robinson, Johnson and Withey xnsfering. thats one hell of a recruiting class.

Assuming Collins comes back....STACKED ONCE AGAIN

PG Collins, Johnson
SG Wall, Taylor
SF Stephenson, Little
PF Robinson, Morris
C Aldrich, Withey

Reserves
Morningstar, Morris, Reed

Pants
03-23-2009, 10:47 AM
If John Wall comes to Kansas. I havent see anywhere where he's verb committed to Memphis. Maybe I'm not looking in the correct places.

But if he chose Kansas along with Stephenson, Robinson, Johnson and Withey xnsfering. thats one hell of a recruiting class.

PG Collins, Johnson
SG Wall, Taylor
SF Stephenson, Little
PF Robinson, Morris
C Aldrich, Withey

Reserves

LOL, have you ever heard of scholarships?

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 10:48 AM

PG Collins, Johnson
SG Wall, Taylor
SF Stephenson, Little
PF Robinson, Morris
C Aldrich, Withey

Reserves

To the 'ship as they say. I wouldn't bank on Collins coming back though. He's got a family to support.

DaWolf
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
To the 'ship as they say. I wouldn't bank on Collins coming back though. He's got a family to support.

True enough, but I've also read that he's not projected to go anywhere in the first round of the draft at this time, so is it really worth coming out for him? I would guess he tests the waters in the pre-draft camps, but if it doesn't look like his stock is going any higher, he may come back.

Again, PURE speculation on my part...

DaWolf
03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't see him leaving Memphis for Arizona. He's got too much going for him at Memphis.

This. Conference USA sucks but you don't leave when you are so close to a title...

Mr. Plow
03-23-2009, 10:55 AM
This. Conference USA sucks but you don't leave when you are so close to a title...

He essentially has practice from November to March in preparation for the tourney.

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
True enough, but I've also read that he's not projected to go anywhere in the first round of the draft at this time, so is it really worth coming out for him? I would guess he tests the waters in the pre-draft camps, but if it doesn't look like his stock is going any higher, he may come back.

Again, PURE speculation on my part...

Good speculation, I've thought that myself at times. It's something we'll have to wait and see on.

CoMoChief
03-23-2009, 11:09 AM
LOL, have you ever heard of scholarships?

Yes, this is assuming Brady Morningstar gives his up as well as another scub like Releford or Appleton. Morningstar parents from what I've heard would pay for his college to free up a scholarship.

Ceej
03-23-2009, 11:09 AM
You have to look at it like this - what does Collins have to do to improve his stock? To me, there isn't a whole lot that needs tweaked. He has shown he can lead, drive/slash, go one on one, hit free throws, and hit the outside shot. If you were him - what good would coming to KU for your final year do? We all bring up college life, possibly winning another NC. I am not a believer that Sherron is a lottery pick or maybe not even a first rounder. But, when you have show cased everything you need to do - what else is there?
Posted via Mobile Device

KILLER_CLOWN
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.bornready.tv/ :)

I'm pretty sure Wall is going to Memphis if not then probably NC state or *Cough* maybe even Baylor.

Royce Woolridge named POY

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/articles/2009/03/21/20090321bigboyplayer0322.html

Mr. Krab
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
So you're not willing to bet anything then?

I keed, I keed :)

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
You have to look at it like this - what does Collins have to do to improve his stock? To me, there isn't a whole lot that needs tweaked. He has shown he can lead, drive/slash, go one on one, hit free throws, and hit the outside shot. If you were him - what good would coming to KU for your final year do? We all bring up college life, possibly winning another NC. I am not a believer that Sherron is a lottery pick or maybe not even a first rounder. But, when you have show cased everything you need to do - what else is there?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why. He's a guy that needs a plan B.

Come back, continue to refine your game, solidify your stock, and, most importantly, get the degree while you're on someone else's dime.

He's not a lock to be in the league for any amount of time.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Holy Shit....this Stephenson kid looks amazing!! Never heard of him....

....can someone please post a list of those who have committed to KU...or in Stephenson's case, expected to sign with KU?

I am part-retarded when it comes to navigating rivals.com

Who are some of the big name players coming in next year?

....Collins has to know that if he comes back next year, he is going to be coming back to one of the favorites to win it all next year. Last year was great and all...but it wasn't HIS team.

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Holy Shit....this Stephenson kid looks amazing!! Never heard of him....

....can someone please post a list of those who have committed to KU...or in Stephenson's case, expected to sign with KU?

I am part-retarded when it comes to navigating rivals.com

Who are some of the big name players coming in next year?

....Collins has to know that if he comes back next year, he is going to be coming back to one of the favorites to win it all next year. Last year was great and all...but it wasn't HIS team.

At least it's not March 31st!

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Not sure where that came from. Don't think Aldrich is going anywhere anyways.

Where what came from?

If Aldrich stays, this team is a NC contender. If he doesn't, they may have some problems in the front court next year.

He will be a top 10 pick if he decides to go this year.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Well it would help if he was taller than 5'10. There's a reason he's not projected to go in the 1st round...NBA teams want size in their PGs. Not short guys built like Sherron.

Coach
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Where what came from?

If Aldrich stays, this team is a NC contender. If he doesn't, they may have some problems in the front court next year.

He will be a top 10 pick if he decides to go this year.

No. I don't see him as a top 10 pick this year. I'd be very suprised if that was the case.

Ceej
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Like most of you - I am under the belief that Sherron's height may deter some NBA teams. However, his ability to get into the lane and get fouled may make up for it. I think after this year he's gonzo. But, that's just me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pants
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not even going to dare to imagine how awesome we would be with Lance, Collins, Taylor, Robinson and Aldrich. JFC, that would be epic.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
No. I don't see him as a top 10 pick this year. I'd be very suprised if that was the case.

What?

He averaged 15, 11, and 3 in the Big 12, and just put up the first triple double with blocks in a tournament game since Shaq did it in 1992. Defensively, he could already help an NBA team, and offensively, he has very good potential. The draft is also fairly weak this year...Craig Brackins is actually projected to go #11 right now. Aldrich is a much, much better player than him.

And I'm not the only one saying it: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_11977283?source=rss

Sorry if you're disappointed, but if Cole wants to make the NBA this year, he'll easily be a lottery pick.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Like most of you - I am under the belief that Sherron's height may deter some NBA teams. However, his ability to get into the lane and get fouled may make up for it. I think after this year he's gonzo. But, that's just me.
Posted via Mobile Device

He runs the risk of not being in the 1st round. Not a smart move on his part if he decides to do that.

Ceej
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
What's one more year for Sherron gonna do? Regardless if he comes back he's a late first/2nd rounder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coach
03-23-2009, 03:32 PM
What?

He averaged 15, 11, and 3 in the Big 12, and just put up the first triple double with blocks in a tournament game since Shaq did it in 1992. Defensively, he could already help an NBA team, and offensively, he has very good potential. The draft is also fairly weak this year...Craig Brackins is actually projected to go #11 right now. Aldrich is a much, much better player than him.

And I'm not the only one saying it: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_11977283?source=rss

Sorry if you're disappointed, but if Cole wants to make the NBA this year, he'll easily be a lottery pick.

I'm not disrepecting him in terms of ability. He has the ability, that's a no doubter. Problem is, you don't become a lottery pick just because you recorded a triple double in a NCAA tournament, especially with blocks.

He has potentional, don't get me wrong. But to say he's a top 10 this year, even though his weakness is that his jump-shot needs improvement, along with more seasoning that he needs. I can see him being in a 10-20 range, but not so sure on a 1-10 range.

IMHO, his best choice is to come back to Kansas to get more seasoning, where he could, assuming his game continues to improve, that he could be a top 5 pick, with a possibility of being a number 1.

Ceej
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
It also depends on who's drafting where.

For shits and grins - and being totally hypothetical - who do you guys see being drafted before Cole? Obviously, I know it's hard to say since we don't know who is declaring and who is drafting where.

I don't follow the NBA much, but, you gotta put Blake Griffin in before Cole. Who else?

CoMoChief
03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
It also depends on who's drafting where.

For shits and grins - and being totally hypothetical - who do you guys see being drafted before Cole? Obviously, I know it's hard to say since we don't know who is declaring and who is drafting where.

I don't follow the NBA much, but, you gotta put Blake Griffin in before Cole. Who else?

Lawson, there are A LOT of good PG's in this league.

Coach
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM
FWIW, it does have Cole going in the top 5 in the 2010 NBA Mock Draft.

Nowhere in the 2009 NBA Mock Draft.

Ceej
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Lawson, there are A LOT of good PG's in this league.

Who else may or may not be drafted before Cole?

Tyreke Evans?

Ceej
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Something else we need to consider are other possible centers who are graduating/leaving early for the draft.

The list:

Hasheem Thabeet
Jordan Hill (listed as a PF, but may play SOME C in the NBA)
BJ Mullens
AJ Ogilvy
Chris Johson

Hypothetically - if those guys come out - as far as centers go I'd put Cole right up there with Thabeet. I think Cole's a better offensive threat and could be as good as Thabeet on the defensive end. He's not far behind him though.

Cole could be the first or second C prospect to enter next year's draft. That also may factor in his decision process.

shitgoose
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Cole can definitely be a lottery pick this year if he declares. Not to many big men this year that have the stats that Cole has put up this season. I mean, in '07 Spencer Hawes went #10 to Sacramento, Joakim Noah #9 to the Bulls.

Hawes averaged 14.9 PPG 6.4 RPG 1.71 BPG

Noah averaged 12 PPG 8.1 RPG 1.8BPG

Last year Brook Lopez went #10 to the Nets

Lopez averaged 19.3 PPG 8.2 RPG 2.1 BPG

If you look at Aldrich this season he is averaging 14.8 PPG 11 RPG 2.6 BPG and is hitting 80% of his FT's.

So compared with 3 top ten picks of the last two years he is right there statistically. I think he will be shooting up draft charts in the offseason as the pool of quality big men is pretty shallow.

In my opinion he is gone.

This is copied from ESPN NBA Draft Page

Summary: Mar 18 Update: Another year of college would be ideal, but it looks as though he'll be a lock for the lottery -- and even a potential top-10 pick -- if he can help Kansas go deep in the tournament. There just aren't many big men better than Aldrich in college basketball right now.

KevB
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Wall has said more than once in the last couple of weeks that Memphis is his favorite, but he's waiting to commit. Why? He's waiting to be sure Tyreke declares for the draft. Until his sig is on a piece of paper, who knows, but it looks good for Memphis right now.

Stephenson is very talented, but there have always been questions about his attitude. He was cut from the under 18 World Team because of it. And there are numerous programs that didn't think he was worth the trouble. I'm sure if KU gets him, Self will turn him into a good player. When your program is successful year in and year out, you have leverage over a "star" player. If he went to a St. John's, he'd be able to run that show. At KU, not so much. Should be interesting to watch.

Rigodan
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm not disrepecting him in terms of ability. He has the ability, that's a no doubter. Problem is, you don't become a lottery pick just because you recorded a triple double in a NCAA tournament, especially with blocks.

He has potentional, don't get me wrong. But to say he's a top 10 this year, even though his weakness is that his jump-shot needs improvement, along with more seasoning that he needs. I can see him being in a 10-20 range, but not so sure on a 1-10 range.

IMHO, his best choice is to come back to Kansas to get more seasoning, where he could, assuming his game continues to improve, that he could be a top 5 pick, with a possibility of being a number 1.

I agree with this. Cole needs more time to work on his left hand too.

BWillie
03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
People that don't think Cole will be a Lottery pick are kidding themselves. I think Cole would be smart to go in the draft this year actually. In fact, if I were him. If I was guaranteed to be top 15, I would bolt. Why wouldn't you? If you don't, you just lost a year of your life that you could of been making millions. These guys don't work until they are 65 like you or me. They work for about 10-15 years and that is it. One year they don't get paid can cost them millions.

Now for Sherron, it's a different story. I think if I were him I'd stay for sure, but I could see why he would go. He's gotta know he's not a round one lock, but he does have a kid and isn't in the best shape financially. If we make a run at it next year and he improves, he could probably improve his stock to mid to late first round, but that is also a gamble.

Pants
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
People that don't think Cole will be a Lottery pick are kidding themselves. I think Cole would be smart to go in the draft this year actually. In fact, if I were him. If I was guaranteed to be top 15, I would bolt. Why wouldn't you? If you don't, you just lost a year of your life that you could of been making millions. These guys don't work until they are 65 like you or me. They work for about 10-15 years and that is it. One year they don't get paid can cost them millions.

Now for Sherron, it's a different story. I think if I were him I'd stay for sure, but I could see why he would go. He's gotta know he's not a round one lock, but he does have a kid and isn't in the best shape financially. If we make a run at it next year and he improves, he could probably improve his stock to mid to late first round, but that is also a gamble.

Yeah, except he's going to make in one year what you make in 15, lol. So I don't think it's as dire as you make it look. But I, too, think he's gone.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
FWIW, it does have Cole going in the top 5 in the 2010 NBA Mock Draft.

Nowhere in the 2009 NBA Mock Draft.

That's because most people don't think Cole will enter the 2009 NBA draft. If he were to do so, though, I have no doubt that he would be picked before guys like Brackins, Blair and Monroe.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Thabeet and Jordan Hill maybe...but honestly Cole is right there in terms of talent with those two.

KC_Connection
03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

As much as I don't like to think about that, I have to agree with you. He'll be a top 10 pick if he leaves...and that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Also agree with this...Sherron is better off staying in school. I'm not sure if he'll ever improve his stock any higher than the 2nd round, though. NBA teams just aren't actively targeting guys like him.

DeezNutz
03-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Aldrich is going to be a good pro, eventually, but he needs much more work right now.

He's not very fluid around the basket. He needs both more fluid moves in the post and a wider array. It would be very hard to refine these aspects of his game seeing very limited minutes.

He's the type of kid that really needs to be a 4-year player. This will give him the ability to make the most impact in the pros, where he could potentially be the best Kansas big man to come out in a long, long time.

Buehler445
03-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Aldrich is going to be a good pro, eventually, but he needs much more work right now.

He's not very fluid around the basket. He needs both more fluid moves in the post and a wider array. It would be very hard to refine these aspects of his game seeing very limited minutes.

He's the type of kid that really needs to be a 4-year player. This will give him the ability to make the most impact in the pros, where he could potentially be the best Kansas big man to come out in a long, long time.

I agree that his game will be better if he stays, but monetarily, it may not pay to stay.

But I agree with your points about fluidity around the basket. You compare what he does around the basket compared to Arthur last year, and it is totally different.

But the point still stands. Look at Wright. Wright could have benefited TREMENDOUSLY by staying at KU. Working on his shot. Working on his handle. Growing a fucking muscle. Working on not making stupid ass retarded dumbfuck passes. But he went anyway and got paid. And I think it was probably a good decision for him. A lot of teams draft for potential. I think that is where we are at with Adrich.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 12:35 AM
He essentially has practice from November to March in preparation for the tourney.You do realize that we're playing Duke, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and possibly North Carolina and Louisville next year, right?

We're 15-3 against BCS schools in the past two years, and 4-1 against them in the NCAA tournament.

Silock
03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
We're 15-3 against BCS schools in the past two years, and 4-1 against them in the NCAA tournament.

And don't you forget it :)

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 05:41 AM

It really hasn't been that long. We had Collison in '03. And LaFrentz in '98.

Tiger's Fan
03-24-2009, 06:18 AM
You do realize that we're playing Duke, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and possibly North Carolina and Louisville next year, right?

That still doesn't take anything away from playing for two months against a one bid garbage conference. Eveyone one else plays an OOC schedule, then turns around and plays a real conference schedule.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 07:23 AM
This coming from the guy whose team lost to Texas Tech, Baylor, and UMass.

NEVER A NIGHT OFF in conferences like these:

72 Providence 11-9 19-13 0.5576 52 0.5575
77 Notre Dame 9-11 17-14 0.5539 43 0.5603
84 Cincinnati 8-11 17-14 0.5479 44 0.5602
101 Seton Hall 8-12 16-15 0.5355 60 0.5508
150 St. John's 7-13 16-17 0.5061 73 0.5434
190 South Florida 4-15 9-22 0.4833 39 0.5630
195 Rutgers 2-17 11-21 0.4813 76 0.5417
206 DePaul 1-19 9-24 0.4766 46 0.5592

76 Nebraska 8-9 18-12 0.5551 58 0.5519
80 Kansas St. 9-8 20-11 0.5499 98 0.5296
119 Texas Tech 4-14 13-19 0.5228 14 0.5851
168 Iowa St. 4-13 14-17 0.4979 90 0.5327
235 Colorado 1-16 8-22 0.4572 68 0.5450

92 Washington St. 9-11 17-15 0.5400 54 0.5556
106 Stanford 7-13 18-13 0.5325 110 0.5240
155 Oregon St. 7-12 11-17 0.5027 69 0.5446
180 Oregon 2-17 8-23 0.4911 15 0.5848

UAB didn't have a better RPI than and a win at Arizona, or anything. Every team in C-USA is as bad as Texas Tech or Colorado. If we were in the SEC, with its whopping TWO top-50 teams (you know, exactly the same number as C-USA), nobody would be mocking our conference schedule.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2009, 07:25 AM
You do realize that we're playing Duke, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Tennessee, Cincinnati, and possibly North Carolina and Louisville next year, right?

Yes. I understand that you have to play that type of OOC schedule to even be considered for a #1/#2 seed.

I'm curious - how many of those are home/away/neutral?

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes. I understand that you have to play that type of OOC schedule to even be considered for a #1/#2 seed.

I'm curious - how many of those are home/away/neutral?The Duke deal was a home and home plus neutral, so next year's game may be in Chicago. The UL game, if it happens, will be in Nashville. The rest that I know of are flips from this year, so two away (Cuse, Cincy) and three home (Georgetown, Gonzaga, Tennessee). No clue which preseason tournament, but it's probably not Maui (06), Preseason NIT (07), or Puerto Rico (08).

Mr. Plow
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
The Duke deal was a home and home plus neutral, so next year's game may be in Chicago. The UL game, if it happens, will be in Nashville. The rest that I know of are flips from this year, so two away (Cuse, Cincy) and three home (Georgetown, Gonzaga, Tennessee).

Cool. I tried to find it but couldn't.

Lzen
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/24/gary-bedores-ku-basketball-notebook/
More on Cole
Aldrich was peppered with a batch of questions about his future plans over the weekend.
He said he’d like to return to KU for a junior year and work on things like footwork and strength in his legs. He, however, said he would not decide whether or not to enter the 2009 NBA Draft until the conclusion of the season.
Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Monday’s editions quoted Flip Saunders, former coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons, as saying Aldrich probably will be a top-10 pick if he declares for June’s draft.
“He’s going to help somebody,” Saunders told Walters. “He’s a more than adequate offensive player right now. Defensively, he can really rebound, as you saw in the (Dome) games, and he blocks shots.”
Saunders was asked how Aldrich would fare in the pros next season.
“It depends where he goes,” he told Walters. “All kids are going to struggle somewhat, because it’s a change. (Sunday against Dayton), he played against guys who are 6-9, 6-10. (In the NBA), you're going to play against guys who are 6-11, 7-feet every night who are skilled, strong and quick. He’ll be able to play, but it will depend on how much adjustment he makes.”

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Can we just dump Colorado and add Memphis to our conference?

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 09:23 AM

I'd rather dump Mizzou.

DeezNutz
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree that his game will be better if he stays, but monetarily, it may not pay to stay.

But I agree with your points about fluidity around the basket. You compare what he does around the basket compared to Arthur last year, and it is totally different.

But the point still stands. Look at Wright. Wright could have benefited TREMENDOUSLY by staying at KU. Working on his shot. Working on his handle. Growing a ****ing muscle. Working on not making stupid ass retarded dumb**** passes. But he went anyway and got paid. And I think it was probably a good decision for him. A lot of teams draft for potential. I think that is where we are at with Adrich.

I know what you mean. He's going to be looking at a big time payday, and this would be very, very tough to pass up. ****, I don't think I could do it...

But it would just be nice to see him get into the league and kick ass, rather than just get into the league and make a ton of money. Ultimately, I think staying in college would prove more financially profitable in the long term, but definitely not in the short term. If he goes in more polished, he could be looking at a more lucrative second contract.

It really hasn't been that long. We had Collison in '03. And LaFrentz in '98.

I meant his impact in the pros. I think Aldrich can be a much, much more successful player at the next level than any of these guys.

Guys like Ogertag and Pollard have had pretty long NBA careers, and Aldrich should be in an entirely different class.

Mr. Krab
03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I still think Aldrich needs another year in college. He is not a dominate post scorer yet. A 6'10' post player with a great wingspan shouldn't need to use a fade away jumper all the time. He's a good defender and rebounder though and will probably be drafted high. He could still use another year to get stronger and learn more post moves.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Can we just dump Colorado and add Memphis to our conference?Yes, please! It's kind of fun being the outsider, and all, but the security, money, and boost to football more than offsets "fun."

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/24/gary-bedores-ku-basketball-notebook/Gat damn. If he's a top 10 pick, he has to go.

Ari Chi3fs
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Dude that would be insanely awesome.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Colorado has no business in the Big 12. Memphis would at least make the North interesting every year. Personally, I'd love it.

I hadn't thought about it but I really like that idea.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Colorado has no business in the Big 12. Memphis would at least make the North interesting every year. Personally, I'd love it.

Nearly forgot......**** you Ultra Peanut :D

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 10:23 AM

I hadn't thought about it but I really like that idea.It's too late now, Plow.* Your unspoken love has been revealed!

*brown cow?

Sam Hall
03-24-2009, 10:24 AM
I won't have anyone to hate if Colorado leaves the Big 12:D

BWillie
03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I still think Aldrich needs another year in college. He is not a dominate post scorer yet. A 6'10' post player with a great wingspan shouldn't need to use a fade away jumper all the time. He's a good defender and rebounder though and will probably be drafted high. He could still use another year to get stronger and learn more post moves.

You don't need another year in college when you are going to be a lottery pick. I think you mean for him to get better he needs another year. Why would Aldrich care if he's going to get better at KU or not, when he can get paid millions?

When you were in college, and someone said hey next year you can make 5 million dollars but you have to forfeit your senior year of college? You and I would go do that in a heartbeat.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2009, 10:34 AM
You don't need another year in college when you are going to be a lottery pick. I think you mean for him to get better he needs another year. Why would Aldrich care if he's going to get better at KU or not, when he can get paid millions?

When you were in college, and someone said hey next year you can make 5 million dollars but you have to forfeit your senior year of college? You and I would go do that in a heartbeat.That, plus the fact that this year's draft is way weaker than next year's. Thabeet is being projected as the #2 pick right now, for fuck's sake.

Saulbadguy
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Hope he goes to KU. Easy target to make fun of due to all of his previous legal troubles.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Hope he goes to KU. Easy target to make fun of due to all of his previous legal troubles.The life of a KSU fan. ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
The life of a KSU fan. ROFL
I could think of worst things to be. Being you would be near the top of that list, sandwiched between jizz mopper at the nudie booth and a compliance officer.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I could think of worst things to be. Being you would be near the top of that list, sandwiched between jizz mopper at the nudie booth and a compliance officer.Oh really that's fresh Saul making personal attacks. I think I will cry now.

Lzen
03-24-2009, 11:47 AM

At least Colorado has a football program that is somewhat worthy. Baylor would probably be a better choice to lose.

CoMoChief
03-24-2009, 11:59 AM
At least Colorado has a football program that is somewhat worthy. Baylor would probably be a better choice to lose.

Iowa St. sucks at everything. No one cares about wrestling.

Mr. Plow
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I could think of worst things to be. Being you would be near the top of that list, sandwiched between jizz mopper at the nudie booth and a compliance officer.

So being Arrowheadhawk falls between two KSU graduate positions.

Saulbadguy
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
So being Arrowheadhawk falls between two KSU graduate positions.

ROFL

Only if you take the accelerated night programs.

Mr. Krab
03-24-2009, 01:04 PM

When you were in college, and someone said hey next year you can make 5 million dollars but you have to forfeit your senior year of college? You and I would go do that in a heartbeat.
I agree the Aldrich will be drafted high and said as much. I was speaking more about basketball in general. If Aldrich just wants to grab the money from that first contract then he should be already packing his bags.

If he really wants to maximize his chance at a long term, impact NBA career then he should wait another year . In the NBA he is gonna have to be much stronger and more polish to survive as a true 5 imo.

Sure-Oz
03-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Another year and he could blow out his knee or have some injury....take the money

Mr. Krab
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Another year and he could blow out his knee or have some injury....take the moneyEntirely different arguement

The safest thing would be for him to grab the first NBA contract as soon as he can.

Silock
03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
He's gone.

BWillie
03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
I agree the Aldrich will be drafted high and said as much. I was speaking more about basketball in general. If Aldrich just wants to grab the money from that first contract then he should be already packing his bags.

If he really wants to maximize his chance at a long term, impact NBA career then he should wait another year . In the NBA he is gonna have to be much stronger and more polish to survive as a true 5 imo.

Lemarcus Aldridge was a pussy strength wise when he got to the NBA. He's doing pretty well now. Anything you can learn in college, you can learn in the NBA, except for being a man. Cole Aldrich looks like he's already a man, and has his head on straight. Guys that were jumping straight to the pros from high school were kids. As a KU fan, stay in school all 4 years Cole. If I was a friend of Cole's, I'd say take the money and run.

KcMizzou
03-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Lemarcus Aldridge was a pussy strength wise when he got to the NBA. He's doing pretty well now. Anything you can learn in college, you can learn in the NBA, except for being a man. Cole Aldrich looks like he's already a man, and has his head on straight. Guys that were jumping straight to the pros from high school were kids. As a KU fan, stay in school all 4 years Cole. If I was a friend of Cole's, I'd say take the money and run.I know as a Mizzou fan, my opinion is... eh, tainted? But that sounds like common sense.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Another year and he could blow out his knee or have some injury....take the money

Lloyd's of London, guarantees the Benjamins that "might" be.

Four years of school on the KU campus, as the BMOC. The opportunity to etch his name into the immortality of Kansas BBall? Not to mention, an education that will provide a safety net....for an NBA career that may, or may not....be.

Just sayin'....if I'm Aldrich, it's no slam-dunk either way. :hmmm:

DeezNutz
03-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Four years of school on the KU campus, as the BMOC. The opportunity to etch his name into the immortality of Kansas BBall? Not to mention, an education that will provide a safety net....for an NBA career that may, or may not....be.

He's going to be a lottery pick, Kotter. This obviates any "may not be." After his first contract, if he's fiscally smart, it doesn't fucking matter.

Pollard and Ogertag were/have been (don't know if the latter is still clinging hanging on) on NBA rosters for years. Aldrich is exponentially more talented than these idiots.

The player who really needs to return, IMO, is Collins. That dude is a borderline NBA talent, and likely not a 1st rounder.

BWillie
03-24-2009, 09:55 PM
He's going to be a lottery pick, Kotter. This obviates any "may not be." After his first contract, if he's fiscally smart, it doesn't ****ing matter.

Pollard and Ogertag were/have been (don't know if the latter is still clinging hanging on) on NBA rosters for years. Aldrich is exponentially more talented than these idiots.

The player who really needs to return, IMO, is Collins. That dude is a borderline NBA talent, and likely not a 1st rounder.

Ya John Wall is going to Baylor if Collins goes stays. If he goes to Memphis, I'm going to cry. That just wouldn't be fair. Even if we lose Aldrich next year, KU will be a solid team. We have another 7 foot guy coming in. What's his name? Oh yeah, Jeff Withey five star transfer. POW!

Ultra Peanut
03-25-2009, 04:14 AM
jAZ IS VINDICATED: Arizona hires Memphis coach! (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/03/23/20090323uafb.html)

Sure-Oz
03-25-2009, 07:16 AM

You can always go back to school when you've made the millions....no way in hell would i risk an injury. No way you'd turn down that money, your education etc may never get that money down the line.

Mr. Plow
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
jAZ IS VINDICATED: Arizona hires Memphis coach! (http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/03/23/20090323uafb.html)

ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-25-2009, 08:02 AM
You can always go back to school when you've made the millions....no way in hell would i risk an injury. No way you'd turn down that money, your education etc may never get that money down the line.

Exactly.

Every year he would stay in college is a year lost of his NBA career, which is potentially millions of dollars.

sedated
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Blake Griffin stayed last year when he could have been a lottery pick, and no one is calling him an idiot for doing it.

Skip Towne
03-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Almost every year players leave for the NBA and we are sad to see them go. Then, magically, more great players take their place. It's always been that way and probably always will be. So Cole needs to do what is best for him and we'll make do somehow.

CoMoChief
03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Blake Griffin stayed last year when he could have been a lottery pick, and no one is calling him an idiot for doing it.

That's because the Griffin twins are gay

DeezNutz
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM

There's truthiness here.

But a couple of things:

1. He'd have an insurance policy to protect himself from career-ending injury, so, though he wouldn't make as much money, he'd have a pretty nice jump start on life.

2. Refining his game when he's actually getting real playing time will make him more NBA ready and thus put himself in position to make even more money over the course of his career. Assuming things go smoothly, he'll still get the huge first contract in 1-2 years, but he'd be in much better position to play well enough to get a huge second contract. This is where the serious money is at. Aldrich leaves now and he's a defensive specialist with limited offensive game. These guys aren't the rainmakers in the NBA, and he can (and should) be more than this.

Molitoth
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
KU Basketball sells itself.... does Bill Self even have to recruit?

ArrowheadHawk
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
KU Basketball sells itself.... does Bill Self even have to recruit?His recruiting skills are what took this team over the top. What Roy could never do.

Spicy McHaggis
03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
His recruiting skills are what took this team over the top. What Roy could never do.

Roy seemed to hit the recruiting trail hard every other year. We'd get a few All-Americans one year and then Moulaye Niang the next.

ArrowheadHawk
03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Roy seemed to hit the recruiting trail hard every other year. We'd get a few All-Americans one year and then Moulaye Niang the next.Brings back memoires. Moulaye made a nice student assiant. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM
ROFLFor Arizona's sake, I hope he's better at coaching receivers than he is special teams.

Blake Griffin stayed last year when he could have been a lottery pick, and no one is calling him an idiot for doing it.Last year he had Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, and OJ Mayo to contend with. This year it was potentially Ricky Rubio and then guys like Brandon Jennings, Jordan Hill, and Hasheem Thabeet.

Going last year would have been the safest move, but when you see an opportunity to be drafted higher, I can't blame you for taking that. In Aldrich's case, this is probably going to be the best chance to jump.

Saulbadguy
03-25-2009, 09:10 AM

I called him an idiot.

CoMoChief
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
For Arizona's sake, I hope he's better at coaching receivers than he is special teams.

Last year he had Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, and OJ Mayo to contend with. This year it was potentially Ricky Rubio and then guys like Brandon Jennings, Jordan Hill, and Hasheem Thabeet.

Going last year would have been the safest move, but when you see an opportunity to be drafted higher, I can't blame you for taking that. In Aldrich's case, this is probably going to be the best chance to jump.

Who will he have to go up against next season?

Skip Towne
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Roy seemed to hit the recruiting trail hard every other year. We'd get a few All-Americans one year and then Moulaye Niang the next.

Roy seemed to be better at keeping them in school. We have more defections now. That may just be changing times though.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Almost every year players leave for the NBA and we are sad to see them go. Then, magically, more great players take their place. It's always been that way and probably always will be. So Cole needs to do what is best for him and we'll make do somehow.

What's best for him is coming back and helping us chase down another CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:D

Skip Towne
03-25-2009, 10:23 AM
What's best for him is coming back and helping us chase down another CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

:D

I want him to stay too but his family is having financial trouble. He said he wouldn't consider that but it would be hard not to.

sedated
03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I want him to stay too but his family is having financial trouble. He said he wouldn't consider that but it would be hard not to.

(I will say this after I'm admitting that I'm a biased KU fan and would give my left nut to see this team bring back Cole and Sherron for a championship run next year.)

Are they really that bad off, knowing they have a winning lottery ticket, whether they cash it this year or a year from now?

DeezNutz
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM
(I will say this after I'm admitting that I'm a biased KU fan and would give my left nut to see this team bring back Cole and Sherron for a championship run next year.)

Are they really that bad off, knowing they have a winning lottery ticket, whether they cash it this year or a year from now?

What are you talking about? LeBron James's family was able afford that Hummer (the car, not the expensive BJ that Pops received) even if he wasn't about to become ultra wealthy.

ArrowheadHawk
03-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Another article.

BORN READY TO ROCK? (http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/born-ready-to-rock/)
Indications are Lance Stephenson headed to Jayhawk country

By Zach Smart

A source close to high school phenom Lance “Born Ready” Stephenson says that the 6-foot-5 wing is “definitely” headed to Kansas, corrupting the pure thrill of Stephenson’s heavily-anticipated press conference.

Stephenson, who averaged a sublime 32 points and 13 rebounds and spearheaded the Railsplitters to their school record fourth straight PSAL title, had narrowed his list down to three schools.

Maryland, where his teammate James Padgett will play next season, and St. John’s, burning to revive the program by reloading with local products, were the other two schools.

“He really wants to play for Bill Self,” the source said.

“They went pretty hard, he had a great visit, and they essentially sent (former NBA player) Danny Manning as the Mariano Rivera in this situation to close the deal.”

The source continued, “Lance understood the magnitude of this decision. He flirted with the idea of revitalizing the St. John’s program and sort of sprouting into a New York City icon by putting SJU and New York City back on the map. But realistically, he wants to win at a big-time program and Kansas is a perfect fit for him.”

While Johnnies head coach Norm Roberts went after one of the nation’s most highly sought after players hard, it seemed Born Ready had intentions of leaving the New York area all along.

Stephenson even said in a webisode of his online tv show that if he had the chance to leave where he’s from, he’d take it and run with it.

Of course, he was referring to the hardscrabble neighborhood in Coney Island, but staying local seemed like an afterthought to Stephenson.

The scene showed Stephenson appalled at the sight of a police murder scene and telling the camera he needs to get out of the area.

Apparently, Stephenson’s visit to the scenic campus, where fans treated the hyped to heaven-sent guard-wing like a God, was a successful one.

While Self and Manning–who Stephenson says he looks up to–offered the real sales pitch, the visit seems similar to Jesus Shuttlesworth’s weekend stay at Tech U in the 1998 film, “He Got Game.”

The Brooklyn-bred cat, who could take the city-to-sticks path that Russel Robinson took, may have taken in the blazing blue eyed beauties and beautiful countryside landscape.

“St. John’s just didn’t have the personnel,” explained the source.

“Coach Roberts certainly did a commendable job getting Omari (Lawrence) to commit and then going guns-a-blazing to reel in Stephenson, but their would have been too much weight under his shoulders. The microscope he would be under at all times was also brought to his attention. He needs to go to a place where he’s free from that type of pressure, hype and hyperbole.”

The source did not think that the Johnnies’ embarrassing loss to Marquette–during which they scored a paltry ten points in the first half–or the first round upset of Georgetown during the Big East tournament had affected his decision.

He did say, however, that Stephenson’s father had a major influence on his son’s decision. Lance’s father has coached Born Ready’s AAU teams and his been a significant presence in his basketball life.

Born Ready and his close friend and teammate, Darwin “Buddah” Ellis, made history this season by re-writing the record books and hanging the fourth consecutive PSAL title banner their senior year.

Ellis, who seemed to fall through the cracks in the recruiting process, is staying local. He’ll play at St. Francis NY in Brooklyn next season.

Long Island University, where Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny Morton” played, was the only other school considering the sharpshooting 5-foot-8 guard.

While Stephenson–he of the wowing streetball flair and otherworldly mano y mano moves, may not be Big East bound, some of his teammates might.

Shaquille Stokes is one blossoming young player who has watched his Division-I stock mount lately

ArrowheadHawk
03-29-2009, 02:48 PM
We should know on Tuesday.

hawkchief
03-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Roy seemed to be better at keeping them in school. We have more defections now. That may just be changing times though.

Self is getting better players because he recruits the ENTIRE USA. Roy only recruited west of the Mississippi in deference to his father Dean Smith and his love for UNC - that's a fact.

Our players are leaving earlier simply because they are more NBA-ready than many of Roy's and that won't change anytime soon.

Skip Towne
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
We should know on Tuesday.

I think he changed his announce date to April 30. Originally he said April 1 then realized it was April Fools Day.

KcMizzou
03-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I think he changed his announce date to April 30. Originally he said April 1 then realized it was April Fools Day.It appears that you're sporting either Garcia Bronco, or MHM's sig.

Is it a BB error, or did you lose a bet?

Sam Hall
03-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Somebody tell John Wall that Calipari and Kentucky are sharing mutual interest.

duncan_idaho
03-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Another article.

BORN READY TO ROCK? (http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/born-ready-to-rock/)
Indications are Lance Stephenson headed to Jayhawk country

By Zach Smart

A source close to high school phenom Lance “Born Ready” Stephenson says that the 6-foot-5 wing is “definitely” headed to Kansas, corrupting the pure thrill of Stephenson’s heavily-anticipated press conference.

Stephenson, who averaged a sublime 32 points and 13 rebounds and spearheaded the Railsplitters to their school record fourth straight PSAL title, had narrowed his list down to three schools.

Maryland, where his teammate James Padgett will play next season, and St. John’s, burning to revive the program by reloading with local products, were the other two schools.

“He really wants to play for Bill Self,” the source said.

“They went pretty hard, he had a great visit, and they essentially sent (former NBA player) Danny Manning as the Mariano Rivera in this situation to close the deal.”

The source continued, “Lance understood the magnitude of this decision. He flirted with the idea of revitalizing the St. John’s program and sort of sprouting into a New York City icon by putting SJU and New York City back on the map. But realistically, he wants to win at a big-time program and Kansas is a perfect fit for him.”

While Johnnies head coach Norm Roberts went after one of the nation’s most highly sought after players hard, it seemed Born Ready had intentions of leaving the New York area all along.

Stephenson even said in a webisode of his online tv show that if he had the chance to leave where he’s from, he’d take it and run with it.

Of course, he was referring to the hardscrabble neighborhood in Coney Island, but staying local seemed like an afterthought to Stephenson.

The scene showed Stephenson appalled at the sight of a police murder scene and telling the camera he needs to get out of the area.

Apparently, Stephenson’s visit to the scenic campus, where fans treated the hyped to heaven-sent guard-wing like a God, was a successful one.

While Self and Manning–who Stephenson says he looks up to–offered the real sales pitch, the visit seems similar to Jesus Shuttlesworth’s weekend stay at Tech U in the 1998 film, “He Got Game.”

The Brooklyn-bred cat, who could take the city-to-sticks path that Russel Robinson took, may have taken in the blazing blue eyed beauties and beautiful countryside landscape.

“St. John’s just didn’t have the personnel,” explained the source.

“Coach Roberts certainly did a commendable job getting Omari (Lawrence) to commit and then going guns-a-blazing to reel in Stephenson, but their would have been too much weight under his shoulders. The microscope he would be under at all times was also brought to his attention. He needs to go to a place where he’s free from that type of pressure, hype and hyperbole.”

The source did not think that the Johnnies’ embarrassing loss to Marquette–during which they scored a paltry ten points in the first half–or the first round upset of Georgetown during the Big East tournament had affected his decision.

He did say, however, that Stephenson’s father had a major influence on his son’s decision. Lance’s father has coached Born Ready’s AAU teams and his been a significant presence in his basketball life.

Born Ready and his close friend and teammate, Darwin “Buddah” Ellis, made history this season by re-writing the record books and hanging the fourth consecutive PSAL title banner their senior year.

Ellis, who seemed to fall through the cracks in the recruiting process, is staying local. He’ll play at St. Francis NY in Brooklyn next season.

Long Island University, where Lincoln coach Dwayne “Tiny Morton” played, was the only other school considering the sharpshooting 5-foot-8 guard.

While Stephenson–he of the wowing streetball flair and otherworldly mano y mano moves, may not be Big East bound, some of his teammates might.

Shaquille Stokes is one blossoming young player who has watched his Division-I stock mount lately

Good luck with Stevenson, but GOD that was a horribly written piece. The journalist in me just threw up a little.

Referring to a player by his first name is bad enough. Referring to him by his nickname is even worse.

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I think he changed his announce date to April 30. Originally he said April 1 then realized it was April Fools Day.

Incorrect.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/30/lance-announcement-to-appear-on-sny/

Lance Stephenson is expected to name Kansas as his college destination when he makes his announcement Tuesday at the McDonald’s All-American Game in Miami. “My guess is Kansas based on his cancelling of the [college] announcement at [Madison Square] Garden and the fact that he wants to be able to have a chance to win a national championship,” a source close to the Stephenson family said.

Brooklyn Sal of SNY will be in Miami to conduct an exclusive one-on-one interview with Stephenson after his announcement.

McDonald’s officials say the announcement will come Tuesday morning at 11:45 during its media day. The game itself is on Wednesday (8 p.m., ESPN). Brooklyn Sal’s interview will air on SNY’s “Daily News Live” and “Geico SportsNite” if he announces Tuesday.

The 6-foot-5 Stephenson, a senior guard at Brooklyn Lincoln who is New York State’s all-time leading scorer, is the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2009, according to the Hoop Scoop and No. 9 by Rivals. He recently said he had already made his decision and had chosen from among Kansas, Maryland and St. John’s.

Because he did not make his announcement after Lincoln won its fourth straight PSAL title March 21 at the Garden, he is not expected to announce for St. John’s.

“The fact that he cancelled the thing at the Garden leads me to believe it’s not St. John’s,” the source said.

Stephenson has said he wants a chance to win a national championship and he and his family have developed a close relationship with Kansas assistant Danny Manning, a former No. 1 draft pick.

“Danny Manning, I look up to him a lot,” Stephenson said. “He’s a great player and a great assistant coach so I think he’s good.”

Stephenson scored 14 points in his final high school game Saturday, a 77-50 loss to Rice in the New York State Federation AA semifinals.
Behind 23 points from Miami-bound guard Durand Scott (pictured with Rice coach Moe Hicks), Rice went on to beat Newburgh Free Academy 70-68 Sunday to capture the State Federation Class AA championship at the Civic Center. Maryland coach Gary Williams was on hand for the Lincoln-Rice game to watch Stephenson and Maryland-bound forward James Padgett.

“I was surprised to see him,” Stephenson told the New York Post.

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
The Shiver will have coverage of Lance's decision and the first interview if he chooses Kansas. Unfortunately, its a hat game, and we know our luck in hat games! There is speculation he may still go to Europe, but I don't think that's the case, or why the hats? If you want to follow at 10:45 am central time:

http://messageboard.theshiver.com/showthread.php?t=2455

-HH

Mr. Plow
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Fucking hats.

ArrowheadHawk
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
****ing hats.Tell me about it.

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Before, Lance was our last hope at a top recruit. If this falls through, we may yet get our legacy recruit in X. Personally, I hope Lance commits and we can just get it all over with, but there are definitely "options" in the wake of the Cal to Kentucky thing.

-HH

Skip Towne
03-30-2009, 02:28 PM
It appears that you're sporting either Garcia Bronco, or MHM's sig.

Is it a BB error, or did you lose a bet?

Don't know. I've got sigs turned off. Guess I'd better go look.

Pants
03-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Before, Lance was our last hope at a top recruit. If this falls through, we may yet get our legacy recruit in X. Personally, I hope Lance commits and we can just get it all over with, but there are definitely "options" in the wake of the Cal to Kentucky thing.

-HH

You forget Robinson, my good friend.

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
You forget Robinson, my good friend.

No, I didn't forget Robinson or Johnson, I was speaking to our need at the wing position. Missed on X, then Snaer, then Cheek. Robinson plays the power forward position.

-HH

Pants
03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
No, I didn't forget Robinson or Johnson, I was speaking to our need at the wing position. Missed on X, then Snaer, then Cheek. Robinson plays the power forward position.

-HH

I gotcha, I thought you were talking about top recruits in general.

excessive
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
The Rookie Scale for this year. If you can move up 4 or 5 positions, it really pays to stay another year. If you can move from beyond that, you'll really score, as salaries are set for 3 years. Aldrich can be a No.1 next year. Why not stay?

Pick 1st Year Salary 2nd Year Salary 3rd Year Salary 4th Year Increase Qualifying Offer
1 3,617.1 3,888.3 4,159.6 26.1% 30.0%
2 3,236.3 3,479.0 3,721.7 26.2% 30.5%
3 2,906.2 3,124.2 3,342.2 26.4% 31.2%
4 2,620.2 2,816.8 3,013.3 26.5% 31.9%
5 2,372.8 2,550.7 2,728.7 26.7% 32.6%
6 2,155.1 2,316.8 2,478.4 26.8% 33.4%
7 1,967.4 2,114.9 2,262.5 27.0% 34.1%
8 1,802.4 1,937.5 2,072.7 27.2% 34.8%
9 1,656.8 1,781.0 1,905.3 27.4% 35.5%
10 1,573.9 1,691.9 1,810.0 27.5% 36.2%
11 1,495.2 1,607.3 1,719.5 32.7% 36.9%
12 1,420.4 1,526.9 1,633.5 37.8% 37.6%
13 1,349.4 1,450.6 1,551.8 42.9% 38.3%
14 1,282.0 1,378.1 1,474.3 48.1% 39.1%
15 1,217.8 1,309.1 1,400.5 53.3% 39.8%
16 1,157.0 1,243.7 1,330.5 53.4% 40.5%
17 1,099.1 1,181.5 1,264.0 53.6% 41.2%
18 1,044.2 1,122.5 1,200.8 53.8% 41.9%
19 997.1 1,071.9 1,146.7 54.0% 42.6%
20 957.3 1,029.0 1,100.8 54.2% 43.3%
21 918.9 987.9 1,056.8 59.3% 44.1%
22 882.2 948.3 1,014.5 64.5% 44.8%
23 847.0 910.5 974.0 69.7% 45.5%
24 813.0 874.0 935.0 74.9% 46.2%
25 780.5 839.0 897.6 80.1% 46.9%
26 754.7 811.2 867.8 80.3% 47.6%
27 732.8 787.8 842.8 80.4% 48.3%
28 728.4 783.0 837.6 80.5% 49.0%
29 723.1 777.3 831.5 80.5% 50.0%
30 717.8 771.7 825.5 80.5% 50.0%

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
The Shiver will have coverage of Lance's decision and the first interview if he chooses Kansas. Unfortunately, its a hat game, and we know our luck in hat games! There is speculation he may still go to Europe, but I don't think that's the case, or why the hats? If you want to follow at 10:45 am central time:

http://messageboard.theshiver.com/showthread.php?t=2455

-HH

Why would he go to Europe after the reportedly bad time guys like Jennings (NBA prospect) and Childress (NBA player) had there this year?

He's way better off playing for Kansas, even for his future pro career.

HolyHandgernade
03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Why would he go to Europe after the reportedly bad time guys like Jennings (NBA prospect) and Childress (NBA player) had there this year?

I have no idea why he would do that, but it is a rumor that still persists. Personally, I don't think that will be the case. I think the rumor persists because Lance said at one time "It'll be a surprise." What exactly he meant by that is anyone's guess. Does he mean he's not telling until his announcement, does it mean he's going with St. John's, does it mean he's going to Europe? Who Knows?

-HH

KC_Connection
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I have no idea why he would do that, but it is a rumor that still persists. Personally, I don't think that will be the case. I think the rumor persists because Lance said at one time "It'll be a surprise." What exactly he meant by that is anyone's guess. Does he mean he's not telling until his announcement, does it mean he's going with St. John's, does it mean he's going to Europe? Who Knows?
-HH

Well I personally didn't think Lance would be going to KU until a couple weeks ago when these reports came out. So that was a surprise at least to me.

Buehler445
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Jennings... Is that the kid that Real Sports interviewed in Italy?
Posted via Mobile Device

KC_Connection
03-31-2009, 01:20 AM
More drama....Lance reportedly won't announce his decision tomorrow, but a source says he's "99.9% sure" he'll pick Kansas.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/03/30/2009-03-30_lance_stephenson_to_choose_college_soon_-2.html

Maybe waiting until this Calipari situation works itself out?

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure how, but I saw that coming.

KC_Connection
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
X. Henry may wind up in Kansas after all...

Spicy McHaggis
03-31-2009, 08:15 AM

I think getting X over "Born Ready" is pretty much a no-brainer.

And my pipe dream will have come true.

Pants
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I think getting X over "Born Ready" is pretty much a no-brainer.

And my pipe dream will have come true.

I'll take both. Thx.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

You think he will be that ticked about Cal leaving Memphis?

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 09:06 AM
I hate recruiting. :banghead:

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 09:11 AM

I like it. As long as KU wins.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

Well, at least we don't have to deal with the fucking hats today.

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, at least we don't have to deal with the ****ing hats today.There is that.

Skip Towne
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Has anybody else heard that LS is delaying his announcement? Maybe he doesn't like that he won't be center of attention if he announces today.

schneider221
03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Ya a handful of sources reported it starting late last night.

Looks like its just fallout from Cal to UK and waiting to see how the recruits play out but who knows.

Question for all KU fans - Would you rather take Lance with his questionable character/attitude or Henry who choose Memphis over KU first but could change with Cal leaving? Both top 10 players who can score for the team and both expected to be one and done.

Mr. Krab
I wonder if Self told Stephenson to hold off on his announcement. LMAO

They might have a sudden rush of "transfers" ;) at KU

Mr. Plow
Not sure if this has been posted or not.....

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/31/xavier-henry-awaiting-caliparis-decision-2/

Xavier Henry Awaiting Calipari’s Decision (http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/31/xavier-henry-awaiting-caliparis-decision-2/)
Posted on Mar 31, 2009 10:43 am

Xavier Henry is waiting to hear from John Calipari before he makes his next move. The 6-foot-6 Henry, a shooting guard out of Putnam City (Ok.) High, is part of Calipari’s star-studded recruiting class at Memphis that also includes unsigned 6-10 center DeMarcus Cousins. But if Calipari takes the eight-year, $35-million deal on the table from Kentucky, Henry could ask out of his Letter of Intent.

“We came because of the style of basketball and the way the coach coaches,” said Carl Henry in a phone interview. “I haven’t talked to my sons. Knowing them, they would probably want to leave.”

He added: “We already signed and coach has to give us a release. He said he would give us a release.”

Carl is the father of both Xavier, currently in Miami for the McDonald’s All-American Game, and C.J. Henry, who is at Memphis but is not on athletic scholarship.

“[Calipari] is supposed to be making his decision today,” Carl Henrysaid. We haven’t heard today what he’s going to do. He said he’s going to give us a call and let us know.”

Asked what he thought Calipari would end up doing, Carl said: “I think I would go to Kentucky. You get a deal like that, I think I would go to Kentucky. That’s what they’re in it for. They’re in it to make money. Memphis matched it, so if he leaves he’s leaving for the prestige of Kentucky. If he stays, he stays.”

Memphis AD R.C. Johnson said in a statement that the school had given Kentucky permission to speak with Calipari.

“We have given Kentucky permission to talk with John (Calipari) about their position,” Johnson stated. “However, I will tell you that we are elated with the job John has done as our head coach and we will do everything in our power to retain his services at Memphis.”

Carol Dennis, the mother of Memphis commit Nolan Dennis, a 6-5 wing out of North Richland Hills, Texas, told the Memphis Commercial Appeal her son had a clause that would allow him to leave if Calipari did (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/mother-tiger-recruit-dennis-says-he-could-leave-if/).

Carl Henry said he didn’t know if Xavier had a similar Letter of Intent and isn’t sure if his son would want to go to Kentucky.

“I don’t know unless I talk to him,” he said.

Kansas was Xavier’s other finalist before he opted for Memphis in the fall (http://www.zagsblog.com/2008/11/18/xavier-henry-to-memphis/). Kansas is expecting a commitment from Brooklyn Lincoln guard Lance Stephenson, but he opted to delay his announcement from Tuesday.
Cousins has committed to Memphis but has not signed a Letter of Intent and could follow Calipari to Kentucky. Otis Hughley, Cousins’ coach at Mobile (Ala.) LeFlore, was not immediately available for comment.

Point guard John Wall of Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God visited Duke this weekend but is said to be leaning toward Memphis or Kansas. If Calipari went to Kentucky, he could follow as well.

Carl said the Henry family would know by Thursday what Xavier planned to do.

“Coach is supposed to call me today,” he said. “We won’t know until Thursday what Xavier is going to do.”

hawkchief
Has anybody else heard that LS is delaying his announcement? Maybe he doesn't like that he won't be center of attention if he announces today.

I think Self is angling to wait on X, once the hubbub with Cal is over. X is a better fit for KU than Lance, i.e. no baggage.

hawkchief
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Ya a handful of sources reported it starting late last night.

Looks like its just fallout from Cal to UK and waiting to see how the recruits play out but who knows.

Question for all KU fans - Would you rather take Lance with his questionable character/attitude or Henry who choose Memphis over KU first but could change with Cal leaving? Both top 10 players who can score for the team and both expected to be one and done.

X, no contest.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
I think Self is angling to wait on X, once the hubbub with Cal is over. X is a better fit for KU than Lance, i.e. no baggage.

Yes, but you don't delay a top 10 recruit committing because you are hoping that another top 10 recruit will maybe get released from his LOI and commit.

I don't think Self has anything to do with it.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Is Henry a 1-year player?

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Is Henry a 1-year player?

More than likely, yes.

schneider221
03-31-2009, 09:56 AM
Yes, but you don't delay a top 10 recruit committing because you are hoping that another top 10 recruit will maybe get released from his LOI and commit.

I don't think Self has anything to do with it.

I agree. It takes a lot of guts to play with a top 10 player like this, and if that is the case I hope Lance doesn't get frustrated and end up at Maryland.

KC_Connection
03-31-2009, 09:57 AM
You think he will be that ticked about Cal leaving Memphis?

I don't know what to think anymore. A crazy last few days.

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 09:57 AM
I really just want one of them. It would suck to lose out on both.

Pants
03-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh Jesus, Wall might be leaning towards Kansas. We already have a PG though, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

As far as Lance vs Henry goes, it's not even a contest.

doomy3
03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Oh Jesus, Wall might be leaning towards Kansas. We already have a PG though, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

As far as Lance vs Henry goes, it's not even a contest.

Sherron played quite a bit at the 2 this year, and I'm sure between Wall and Sherron, we could figure out that "problem."

Ari Chi3fs
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
high drama! Thanks Mizzou for beating Memphis!! :-P

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Sherron played quite a bit at the 2 this year, and I'm sure between Wall and Sherron, we could figure out that "problem."I think it's pretty clear that Self doesn't want Collins at the point by the way he tried Reed there against Michigan State. Collins is wreckless and is fairly easy to stop IF you stop him "on ball". I imagine Self wants a true point to bring the ball up so that Collins can get in a better position to take a pass and then penetrate.

It's possible that Collins leaves for the NBA and KU will need a SG and PG.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Sherron played quite a bit at the 2 this year, and I'm sure between Wall and Sherron, we could figure out that "problem."

Yep. Shift Sherron over and let him make plays. OR just let whichever has the better matchup take advantage. Self always said with Rush, Robinson, and Chalmers that they didn't have a PG. They had 3 guards that could handle the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Yep. Shift Sherron over and let him make plays. OR just let whichever has the better matchup take advantage. Self always said with Rush, Robinson, and Chalmers that they didn't have a PG. They had 3 guards that could handle the ball.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jesus Christ that team was good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
What about DeMarcus Cousins?

DJJasonp
03-31-2009, 11:17 AM
high drama! Thanks Mizzou for beating Memphis!! :-P

A nice by-product of this is that Memphis now goes the way of Cincinnati after Thuggins left....

Never to be heard from again!

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm not so sure Cal is gone quite yet. He might change his mind. Sounds like Memphis is throwing everything at him possible....short of private hookers & a golden toilet.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Memphis included hookers.

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
KU recruit Stephenson delays announcement; Henry to reopen recruitment if Calipari leaves (http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1116123.html)

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | Kansas recruit Lance Stephenson, a heralded shooting guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., has decided to postpone his college decision to a later date, Stephenson told reporters at the McDonald’s All-American Game media day on Tuesday.
Stephenson was expected to pick KU over Maryland and St. John’s, according to multiple reports.
“Nothing really changed,” Stephenson told reporters in Miami. “It was just hard for me and my family to make a decision. I just want to wait it out.”
Tuesday was supposed to be a big day for the Kansas basketball program. But even with Stephenson’s decision not to decide, the day still could be a memorable one for Jayhawks fans – that is, if Memphis coach John Calipari leaves for Kentucky.
Also speaking with reporters in Miami, Memphis signee Xavier Henry, rated the No. 1 shooting guard in the class of 2009 by Rivals.com, said that he has a written agreement with Memphis that allows him to be released from his letter of intent if Calipari leaves. Henry, a native of Oklahoma City, was thought to be a Kansas lean all along because his parents, Carl and Barbara, both played basketball for KU.
Henry didn’t mention Kansas specifically but said “I can go anywhere. It just reopens my recruitment. If (Calipari) did leave, I think I’d reopen everything.”
Stephenson, the No. 4 shooting guard in the class and the biggest name to come out of New York since Sebastian Telfair, said his delayed decision has nothing to do with a “ripple effect” from a possible move by Calipari. He said he is still concentrated on KU, Maryland and St. John’s.
Stephenson said he didn’t know what the timetable would be for his decision.
“My father and I are going to talk about it,” Stephenson said. “Hopefully soon.”
Even if KU was to get a commitment from Stephenson or Henry, the fact remains that the Jayhawks would have 15 scholarships occupied if Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich return to school. That’s two over the limit of 13. Kansas would have to cut two scholarships either through Collins and/or Aldrich’s early defection to the NBA or players transferring this offseason.
It is also possible that a returning player could volunteer to give up his scholarship. It has long been rumored that Lawrence native and KU basketball legacy Brady Morningstar would make that sacrifice. Morningstar told <ital>The Star</ital> in January that he would be open to that option if it made the team better.

<!-- --> Posted on Tue, Mar. 31, 2009 11:53 AM

sedated
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I would think Xavier would be a shoe-in for KU if he doesn't go to Memphis.

And I wouldn't worry about the scholly "problem". Self has shown little problem running underacheiving players off to get a prized recruit.

CoMoChief
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
PG - Collins
SG - Wall
SF - Stephenson
PF - Henry
C - Aldrich

I know I'm jumping the gun and getting a little over my head......but doesn't this lineup make you wanna JIZZ..........IN...........YOUR PANTS!!!!!!!!!

Not only that but the big boys this season in the college ranks won't be as good next year. Just sayin......

Pants
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Looks like Cal might stay after all, so all this shit is moot.

I'm wondering if Lance wants to go closer to home and his dad is telling him to go chill in the Midwest for awhile.

excessive
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

Even if KU was to get a commitment from Stephenson or Henry, the fact remains that the Jayhawks would have 15 scholarships occupied if Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich return to school. That’s two over the limit of 13. Kansas would have to cut two scholarships either through Collins and/or Aldrich’s early defection to the NBA or players transferring this offseason.
It is also possible that a returning player could volunteer to give up his scholarship. It has long been rumored that Lawrence native and KU basketball legacy Brady Morningstar would make that sacrifice. Morningstar told <ital>The Star</ital> in January that he would be open to that option if it made the team better.

<!-- --> Posted on Tue, Mar. 31, 2009 11:53 AM

What most don't realize, and J. Brady certainly doesn't, is that scholarships are not for four years. They are one-year, annually renewable grants. Coaches don't need a player to make a sacrifice, as they can just decide not to renew the grant. I'm not saying that Self would do it to Morningstar, or that he would be prick enough to do it to anyone. Just that he could, if he wanted.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
What most don't realize, and J. Brady certainly doesn't, is that scholarships are not for four years. They are one-year, annually renewable grants. Coaches don't need a player to make a sacrifice, as they can just decide not to renew the grant. I'm not saying that Self would do it to Morningstar, or that he would be prick enough to do it to anyone. Just that he could, if he wanted.

I think the deal with Morningstar is his dad is a big booster and offered to pay for his kid's education as part of his support for the university.

It would be a blatant case of paying the players if it weren't his kid.
Posted via Mobile Device

excessive
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I know what the deal with Morningstar is. The point is that there is someone sitting the bench that can be dumped when they want to upgrade.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks like Cal might stay after all, so all this shit is moot.

That's what I've been thinking. There is a lot of shit going on about recruits and it all hinges on one thing that may or may not happen.....Cal going to UK.

Personally, I think the longer the decision takes, the better it is for Memphis.

Pants
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Personally, I think the longer the decision takes, the better it is for Memphis.
I think so as well.

GoHuge
03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah getting the "elevator" freed up so he can be free to make plays will really help open this team up. Stephenson has been a head case and diva all through high school. Too much so for some teams. From the supposed Under Armour deal to the multiple sexual assualts people have just strayed away. As class as Bill Self is I'm not sure why he targets guys like this. Sherron has got or had alot of baggage. Even at KU he's caused some problems and embarrasment for the program. It seems to go against what Bill is but they can play ball. Maybe that's enough. This guy is likely a one-and-done. Not sure he's worth the hassle.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Stephenson has always seemed to not be a typical Self recruit.....but what do I know.

BWillie
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I figure KU is bound to get either X, Stephenson or Wall. Either of the 3 would be fine with me. I think Wall is the most unlikely. Only way I think he comes is if Sherron goes pro and signs with an agent. Could be wrong though

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Sorry if it's been talked about, just saw on ESPN that it does say in the papers that if Calipari bolts for another team Henry is free to go elsewhere. Henry said that himself live on espn awhile ago.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Sorry if it's been talked about, just saw on ESPN that it does say in the papers that if Calipari bolts for another team Henry is free to go elsewhere. Henry said that himself live on espn awhile ago.
Yea, they said that Henry had a clause in his letter of intent that Memphis had to release him if Calipari bolts.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Congrats on getting X, guys. Have fun being at the top.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Yea, they said that Henry had a clause in his letter of intent that Memphis had to release him if Calipari bolts.

Henry sounded like he's gone.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Congrats on getting X, guys. Have fun being at the top.
Sorry about your coach, that sucks.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I know what the deal with Morningstar is. The point is that there is someone sitting the bench that can be dumped when they want to upgrade.

Understood
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I wonder if K-State can snag Cousins away from Memphis now.

BWillie
03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Coach Cal isn't gone yet. Memphis is trying to do everything they can to keep him. Calipari could be using this as a posturing tool to get a better contract, kind of like what Self did.

Pants
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Coach Cal isn't gone yet. Memphis is trying to do everything they can to keep him. Calipari could be using this as a posturing tool to get a better contract, kind of like what Self did.

Apparently he is gone.

CoMoChief
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM

K-who?

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
I think Calipari hasn't announced he's leaving yet so he can still talk to his Memphis recruits to try and steal them away to Kentucky. He's such a dick.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM

ROFL

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
This is from the other thread.

Here is what I can find.

Report: Calipari Bound For UK (http://www.kypost.com/news/local/story/Report-Calipari-Bound-For-UK/Ft6qnGIwX0W-WZSJTWOH9g.cspx)

Calipari coming to Kentucky; calls former coaches (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090331/SPORTS03/90331023/1002/SPORTS)

Reports: Calipari Has Reached Decision, Will Coach UK (http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10103407&nav=menu203_2)

Pants
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
ROFL

That wasn't a joke. K-State has a good chance.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
ROFL
Umm ... Cousin had a short list of 3 teams and K-State was one of them. Cousin is also a friend of guy at K-State that got hurt. I realize you're a Reetard, but please try and keep up.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
That wasn't a joke. K-State has a good chance.

I cant believe he wanted to go to Memphis over KSU in the first place...

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Umm ... Cousin had a short list of 3 teams and K-State was one of them. Cousin is also a friend of guy at K-State that got hurt. I realize you're a Reetard, but please try and keep up.

:deevee:

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
:deevee:
Please don't cry, it will be ok.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Please don't cry, it will be ok.

Why did he initially chose Memphis over KSU?

Pants
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I cant believe he wanted to go to Memphis over KSU in the first place...

I'm just saying man... it won't be as funny when those purple dumbshits end up getting Cuz.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm just saying man... it won't be as funny when those purple dumbshits end up getting Cuz.

K and the news here in OKC is KU is back on X's short list.....

That wouldnt be funny either....

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Why did he initially chose Memphis over KSU?
Calipari and his money, i imagine.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 01:47 PM

I would think so. It came down to KU & Memphis. If he isn't going to follow Cal to UK, I would think KU would be on the short list.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Calipari and his money, i imagine.

Fair enough....

Pants
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

Of course we are. We were his #1 for a while before he decided on Memphis.

Reerun_KC
03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I would think so. It came down to KU & Memphis. If he isn't going to follow Cal to UK, I would think KU would be on the short list.

Grab Stephenson and Xavier Henry.... Dude, KU just became an instant FF team next year... Goodbye to guys like Appleton and Thomas...

KC_Connection
03-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah getting the "elevator" freed up so he can be free to make plays will really help open this team up. Stephenson has been a head case and diva all through high school. Too much so for some teams. From the supposed Under Armour deal to the multiple sexual assualts people have just strayed away. As class as Bill Self is I'm not sure why he targets guys like this. Sherron has got or had alot of baggage. Even at KU he's caused some problems and embarrasment for the program. It seems to go against what Bill is but they can play ball. Maybe that's enough. This guy is likely a one-and-done. Not sure he's worth the hassle.

He's worth it...he's that good.

But we may get X over him, though. Or maybe both??!

I just hope we get one.

Mr. Plow
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
http://memphisroar.com/2009/03/stay-tuned-memphisroar-exclusives-with-xavier-henry-and-demarcus-cousins-from-miami/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTfaXsk5jwo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTfaXsk5jwo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 02:37 PM
http://memphisroar.com/2009/03/stay-tuned-memphisroar-exclusives-with-xavier-henry-and-demarcus-cousins-from-miami/

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iTfaXsk5jwo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>Sounds like if Cal leaves. X to Kansas.

BWillie
03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Sounds like X is kinda surprised and doesn't seem real happy that Calipari might go to Kentucky.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Coach Cal isn't gone yet. Memphis is trying to do everything they can to keep him. Calipari could be using this as a posturing tool to get a better contract, kind of like what Self did.When the founder and CEO of FedEx is at your house offering you stock options and the boosters have both matched the other school's offer and put together an obscene retirement package, it's not about money.

There's a chance he gets on the plane, his crisis of conscience ends, and he knocks out the pilot and flies back to Memphis. But that's the only hope now.

Pants
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
When the founder and CEO of FedEx is at your house offering you stock options and the boosters have both matched the other school's offer and put together an obscene retirement package, it's not about money.

There's a chance he gets on the plane, his crisis of conscience ends, and he knocks out the pilot and flies back to Memphis. But that's the only hope now.

Do you want him back? I'm just wondering what the feelings are there?

Pablo
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you want him back? I'm just wondering what the feelings are there?I'd imagine the fans could forgive him if he can back with X, Wall and Cousins, and won a championship.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
When the founder and CEO of FedEx is at your house offering you stock options and the boosters have both matched the other school's offer and put together an obscene retirement package, it's not about money.

I'd be interested to see how Fed-Ex discloses that stock issuance...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Do you want him back? I'm just wondering what the feelings are there?FUCK YES I WANT THAT MOTHERFUCKER BACK.

Having a snake who's YOUR snake and boatloads of chances at a national championship is a lot fucking better than going back to the days of wondering if you can beat [insert random C-USA team here -- only instead of Marquette or Charlotte, this random team has an RPI in the 200s].

Watching the tournament selection show, I marveled at how recently it was that I was nervous about the Tigers even getting into the field, not whether their seed was a 1 or 2. It's way more enjoyable actually being a factor.

sedated
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM
It came down to KU & Memphis. If he isn't going to follow Cal to UK, I would think KU would be on the short list.

I would think KU would BE the short list.

Buehler445
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
You guys know that all this excitement is going to conclude this week (before the final 4 mind you) and the rest of the offseason will be HORRIBLE.

FUCK the time between March Madness and football!! :cuss:
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadHawk
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
You guys know that all this excitement is going to conclude this week (before the final 4 mind you) and the rest of the offseason will be HORRIBLE.

**** the time between March Madness and football!! :cuss:
Posted via Mobile DeviceThere is always Nascar and Baseball. Nevermind....

DJay23
03-31-2009, 04:18 PM
I think Calipari hasn't announced he's leaving yet so he can still talk to his Memphis recruits to try and steal them away to Kentucky. He's such a dick.

Doug Gottlieb postulated that Cal is dragging his feet so taht Mizzou can sign Anderson, which puts one of Cal's former assistants (didn't say who it was) in a better position to take over at Memphis than if Anderson were still available.

Mr. Krab
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Doug Gottlieb postulated that Cal is dragging his feet so taht Mizzou can sign Anderson, which puts one of Cal's former assistants (didn't say who it was) in a better position to take over at Memphis than if Anderson were still available.
You know Calipari is up to something, this isn't just indecision or love of Memphis. He's got an agenda or plan.

Mr. Plow
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Just a thought.......

Why wouldn't X just follow Cal to UK?

Mr. Krab
04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Just a thought.......

Why wouldn't X just follow Cal to UK?
1. pissed off at calipari because he bailed after saying he wasn't

2. KU was X's 2nd choice, not UK. He went to memphis to be with his brother who isn't at UK either.

Mr. Plow
04-01-2009, 01:04 PM
1. pissed off at calipari because he bailed after saying he wasn't

2. KU was X's 2nd choice, not UK. He went to memphis to be with his brother who isn't at UK either.

To me - and I could be wrong - but it seems very clear that none of the players committed to Memphis, they committed to Cal. Meaning that if he wasn't there to begin with, they never would have looked at Memphis. I guess if they like him & the style of play THAT much, wouldn't they naturally want to at least look at the school he went to?

Couldn't CJ just transfer to whatever school X went to?

Mr. Krab
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
To me - and I could be wrong - but it seems very clear that none of the players committed to Memphis, they committed to Cal. Meaning that if he wasn't there to begin with, they never would have looked at Memphis. I guess if they like him & the style of play THAT much, wouldn't they naturally want to at least look at the school he went to?

Couldn't CJ just transfer to whatever school X went to?
I guess X and CJ could both go to UK but wouldn't CJ have to sit out a semester?

Ultra Peanut
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
CJ was enrolled and on the roster. The only loophole that could possibly exist is that he was injured and redshirted, but I don't think that allows you to transfer and play immediately regardless of your scholarship status.

Really, I don't know how X can play with his brother unless he stays. Just another nice dilemma Cal presents to an 18 year old who trusted him. Kid was so fucking proud and excited in KC:

http://j.photos.cx/xavierncaa09-072.jpg

Mr. Plow
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
With X more than likely a 1 and done type player, being able to play with CJ is looking less & less likely....unless he goes to Memphis.

arrowheadnation
04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I obviously have to retract my statements about John Wall going to Memphis that I made earlier in this thread now. He would have went there if Cal would have stayed though. That being said, Wall will not be going to KU. His handlers won't allow it.

It would not surprise me if X-Henry and CJ Henry are Jayhawks by the end of the week.

Don't think Lance to KU is very likely. Definitely not gonna happen if Henry commits first.

Pants
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I obviously have to retract my statements about John Wall going to Memphis that I made earlier in this thread now. He would have went there if Cal would have stayed though. That being said, Wall will not be going to KU. His handlers won't allow it.

It would not surprise me if X-Henry and CJ Henry are Jayhawks by the end of the week.

Don't think Lance to KU is very likely. Definitely not gonna happen if Henry commits first.

I heard Henry said he'd have a decision by Thursday. We'll see. That one video of his reactions definitely sounded very promising, but you never know when it comes to recruits. I'm just going to cross my fingers.

Mr. Plow
04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
That being said, Wall will not be going to KU. His handlers won't allow it.

Ok. I don't follow recruiting like I used to.....what do you mean by that?

arrowheadnation
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Ok. I don't follow recruiting like I used to.....what do you mean by that?<br>It's basically turned into what I like to call "shoe politics." It has to do with corporate sponsers who funnel money to middle men who get in good with recruits and push them toward certain schools. If you want to see who the king of this process is right now, do a google search for World Wide Wes aka William Wesley. He is the reason Calipari got all the recruits that he did the past few years at Memphis. John Wall has a group of people that are pretty much "handling" his recruiting for him, and they do not have a relationship with KU.

Mr. Plow
04-01-2009, 04:44 PM
It's basically turned into what I like to call "shoe politics." It has to do with corporate sponsers who funnel money to middle men who get in good with recruits and push them toward certain schools. If you want to see who the king of this process is right now, do a google search for World Wide Wes aka William Wesley. He is the reason Calipari got all the recruits that he did the past few years at Memphis. John Wall has a group of people that are pretty much "handling" his recruiting for him, and they do not have a relationship with KU.

I know about WWW...to an extent. Didn't realize all that though.

Lzen
04-01-2009, 05:03 PM
It's basically turned into what I like to call "shoe politics." It has to do with corporate sponsers who funnel money to middle men who get in good with recruits and push them toward certain schools. If you want to see who the king of this process is right now, do a google search for World Wide Wes aka William Wesley. He is the reason Calipari got all the recruits that he did the past few years at Memphis. John Wall has a group of people that are pretty much "handling" his recruiting for him, and they do not have a relationship with KU.

Shoe politics? Maybe I'm not following you, but it seems to me that Memphis and Kansas both are Addidas schools. Or at least they were last year.

arrowheadnation
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Shoe politics? Maybe I'm not following you, but it seems to me that Memphis and Kansas both are Addidas schools. Or at least they were last year.
I just call it shoe politics because the shoe companies used to be the ones that had the clout when it came to recruiting. I guess a more accurate name would be "sponsor politics." At Memphis, Fed Ex is what Nick Nolte would call a "Friend of the Program." There are lots of stories about Fed Ex providing jobs to prospective recruit's parents. At Kentucky, the checkbook is so deep that they won't need that.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Wow, Stephenson sucks.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
There are lots of stories about Fed Ex providing jobs to prospective recruit's parents. At Kentucky, the checkbook is so deep that they won't need that.

That's happening at Kansas right now. Big deal.

Skip Towne
04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
That's happening at Kansas right now. Big deal.

Fed Ex helps Kansas?

Saulbadguy
04-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Fed Ex helps Kansas?

They wish.

Skip Towne
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
They wish.

I'm watching the McDonalds game and I haven't seen one guy who is going to Kansas. Aren't we paying them enough?

Saul Good
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm watching the McDonalds game and I haven't seen one guy who is going to Kansas. Aren't we paying them enough?

Maybe Self needs to offer all of their parents jobs as coaches and then fire them all as soon as their kids declare early. That's completely above board.

Skip Towne
04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Maybe Self needs to offer all of their parents jobs as coaches and then fire them all as soon as their kids declare early. That's completely above board.

We need to be doing what Memphis is doing. They get all the good ones. Worldwide Wes?