PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sirius MTC interview with Todd Haley

ChiefRon
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Just mentioned, supposed to be in the next hour or so...

FWIW

ChiefRon
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
On now

MVChiefFan
03-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Interview over... nothing new learned.

CoMoChief
03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
What a kickass interview.........lol we aren't going to know shit about the Chiefs until game day.

ChiefRon
03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Wow, we learned a whole lot.

- Been great working w/Scott, just like he expected
- Both think alike regarding building a team
- First had to get staff, got a late start, real excited about staff, didn’t think some of those folks would be available
- Now setting up offseason program, starts on Mar 30
- Watching college tapes
- QB will be open competition, may acquire more folks to compete
- Thigpen interesting player, throwing 21 td was not easy, pretty impressive, big upside and could end up being the starter
- Has not met with LJ, but Maurice has talked to him at length
- Clean slate for everyone
- 70 starts from rookies, shows a lot of promise
- No history w/Chan before, when first got job was thinking a new OC would be brought in, but was very impressed after talking with him, share some of the same philosophies
- Going to 3-4 is a major change, and won’t have any chance if they go to it right away, definitely a “gradual transition”
- DBowe has a chance to be elite, sees a lot of similarities with Larry Fitz, excited about “getting after him” and developing him
- Looking for guys that are “all in” with the new philosophy
- Lot of similarities with us & the Cardinals when he got there, not many wins in previous years, not high expectations, and they got to the SB by focusing on developing players
- Never had the goal of being a HC

Blah-blah-blah

Nothing to see here, move along

talastan
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
DJ: Tonight we interview Todd Haley, new HC for the Kansas City Chiefs. So Todd what can you tell us about what's going on at Arrowhead right now?

TH: Well Scott is great and of course, 22 players.

DJ: (Clears throat after pause) Ahem, ah...could you elaborate a little Todd

TH: Well we really want smart, and disciplined players....22 of them.

DJ: Any preview of what we might see on the field? Come on....

TH: (Takes a breathe) LISTEN YOU F***TARD!! I SAID 22 GD PLAYERS!! ARROWHEAD IS ON LOCKDOWN NOW YOU MEDIA LOVING, TOO UGLY FOR TELEVISION, TOO STUPID FOR TALK RADIO, B***H!! INTERVIEW IS OVER!!

DJ: Ahh....Todd...hello?

TH: I SAID THE INTERVIEW IS OVER!! (Phone hangs up.)

DJ: (Regains composure) Okay well next on tonights Sports we'll have Brian Waters!

Pestilence
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, we learned a whole lot.

- Been great working w/Scott, just like he expected
- Both think alike regarding building a team
- First had to get staff, got a late start, real excited about staff, didn’t think some of those folks would be available
- Now setting up offseason program, starts on Mar 30
- Watching college tapes
- Thigpen interesting player, throwing 21 td was not easy, pretty impressive, big upside and could end up being the starter
- Has not met with LJ, but Maurice has talked to him at length
- Clean slate for everyone
- 70 starts from rookies, shows a lot of promise
- No history w/Chan before, when first got job was thinking a new OC would be brought in, but was very impressed after talking with him, share some of the same philosophies
- Going to 3-4 is a major change, and won’t have any chance if they go to it right away, definitely a “gradual transition”
- DBowe has a chance to be elite, sees a lot of similarities with Larry Fitz, excited about “getting after him” and developing him
- Looking for guys that are “all in” with the new philosophy
- Lot of similarities with us & the Cardinals when he got there, not many wins in previous years, not high expectations, and they got to the SB by focusing on developing players
- Never had the goal of being a HC

Blah-blah-blah

Nothing to see here, move along

WTF?

MTG#10
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
WTF?

Dont worry, its not gonna happen. He's gotta give the kid hope.

KCChiefsFan88
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
WTF?

This is called increasing Thigpen's potential trade value.

ChiefRon
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
WTF?

That was the biggest surprise for me too, I thought the "competition" statement was just rhetoric, but that's not how he came across today

Said he called Thigpen right after the trade because of the statement by Thigpen's agent that gave the impression he was "conceding" the starting job

Said he told him, "this is truly an open competition and the best QB will start" and Thigpen has a lot of upside and could win the job

RustShack
03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe Thigpen will be our QB :hmmm:

We still haven't gave Cassel a number for a contract...

:)

Buehler445
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
:bs:

If Cassel doesn't start...well...fuck it. It's not worth thinking about. Unless he is traded, he is starting.
Posted via Mobile Device

talastan
03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
There would be an epic meltdown here on the planet if Thigpen starts. I like other still think this is HC retoric but who knows? :shrug:

Bill Lundberg
03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't have Cassel signed to a long time deal prior to the start of the season. It makes sense when you think about it.

1. We have plenty of cap space now
2. No reason to pony up until he shows he's not a one hit wonder.
3. Competition makes everyone better. A huge deal would be the drawing in the sand for Thigpen.

ChiefRon
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah I still think it's just rhetoric, but did you also see this?

No Talks On Cassel Extension
Posted by Tom Curran: Monday, March 23, 2009 1:06 PM
DANA POINT - The agent for Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel said there have been no talks about a contract extension for his client.

David Dunn, Cassel's agent, simply stated, "No," when asked if talks had begun.

Cassel, franchised by the New England Patriots and then traded to the Chiefs, brought with him the $14.6 million salary for 2009 that was guaranteed him when he signed the franchise tender.

Given that fat a figure, it seemed reasonable to expect the Chiefs to do something long-term with the quarterback to lessen this year's salary cap hit and sew him up for the future.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2009/03/no-talks-on-cassel-extension.html

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like the same interview he gave the week he was hired.

Barret
03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I thought something else was a little interesting:

May acquire more folks to compete?? huh??

raybec 4
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Sounds like the same interview he gave the week he was hired.

It is, he's just getting better at it.

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM

May acquire more folks to compete?? huh??The week pioli was hired he said they'd draft a qb every year.

DaneMcCloud
03-23-2009, 03:45 PM

Stafford FTW!!!!!!!

chiefs1111
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Yeah we are finally going to bring Jeff George in for a look.

Deberg_1990
03-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Stafford FTW!!!!!!!

heh, that wouldnt shock me to be honest. If Stafford is there at #3, he would be the BPA pick.

TEX
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
That was the biggest surprise for me too, I thought the "competition" statement was just rhetoric, but that's not how he came across today

Said he called Thigpen right after the trade because of the statement by Thigpen's agent that gave the impression he was "conceding" the starting job

Said he told him, "this is truly an open competition and the best QB will start" and Thigpen has a lot of upside and could win the job

I'm soooooo glad there is no more Brodie Croyle ROFL talk this year. Man, what a difference a year makes!

Kyle DeLexus
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Yep he would be. Too many fans are concerned with W-L record next year. You've got to get all the pieces to the puzzle before you worry about that. Who knows if some of the picks from last years draft will even work in the new D, so it's almost like we are starting over again. Making sure you have the right QB is a big piece to the puzzle.

DaWolf
03-23-2009, 04:24 PM
It's the smart thing to do for a 2-14 team. Competition at ALL positions, not just handing people jobs like Herm did. Remember, Cassel is still a guy who has done it for one year, and with another team. You've got guys on the Chiefs, like Bowe and Gonzo, who probably have Thigpen's back. So it is better if you A) Make Cassel come in to earn the position so he doesn't rest on his laurels from last year, and B) Give Thigpen the opportunity to win his job, and if he doesn't, the vets can't grumble about it. If he is the better QB, then let him start. C) As many have mentioned, if they are serious about extending Cassel, it probably isn't going to be for a franchise salary that his agent is looking for.

Personally, I like this attitude that no position is safe and that competition will be brought in to take your job, so you better be ready to fight for it. Now let's hope they really follow that philosophy and it isn't just words...

kc rush
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Stafford FTW!!!!!!!

I wonder how many people would be screaming that Pioli and Haley ruined the draft if this actually happened.

Noss
03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
It's the smart thing to do for a 2-14 team. Competition at ALL positions, not just handing people jobs like Herm did. Remember, Cassel is still a guy who has done it for one year, and with another team. You've got guys on the Chiefs, like Bowe and Gonzo, who probably have Thigpen's back. So it is better if you A) Make Cassel come in to earn the position so he doesn't rest on his laurels from last year, and B) Give Thigpen the opportunity to win his job, and if he doesn't, the vets can't grumble about it. If he is the better QB, then let him start. C) As many have mentioned, if they are serious about extending Cassel, it probably isn't going to be for a franchise salary that his agent is looking for.

Personally, I like this attitude that no position is safe and that competition will be brought in to take your job, so you better be ready to fight for it. Now let's hope they really follow that philosophy and it isn't just words...

I agree. :thumb:

the Talking Can
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM
you don't trade the 34th pick in the draft for a backup...

surely that requires no explanation....

Noss
03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
you don't trade the 34th pick in the draft for a backup...

surely that requires no explanation....

If Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen then he should be the backup. The best players should start at all positions.

Mecca
03-23-2009, 05:51 PM
If Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen then he should be the backup. The best players should start at all positions.

If Cassel can't win the starting job from Thigpen we just traded a 2nd round pick for a complete piece of shit.

the Talking Can
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM

you don't trade the 34th pick in the draft for a piece of shit who can't beat out Thigpen....

this is not rocket science....

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM
this is not rocket science....No it's not, but sometimes I feel like I'm in remedial football for idiots 101b.

Noss
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
you don't trade the 34th pick in the draft for a piece of shit who can't beat out Thigpen....

A trade does not guarantee a QBOTF. I want Cassell to win the job hands down. But money and trade guarantees nothing. If it did Larry Johnson would be the Chiefs best player. Competition will make the team and players better.

Hog Farmer
03-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't have Cassel signed to a long time deal prior to the start of the season. It makes sense when you think about it.

1. We have plenty of cap space now
2. No reason to pony up until he shows he's not a one hit wonder.
3. Competition makes everyone better. A huge deal would be the drawing in the sand for Thigpen.

woah! Intelligent , thoughtful thinking from a banker ??? I'm impressed. Can I borrow some money ? My credit score is 775 and i was turned down on a refinance of a $95,000 property that I owe $3,800 on asking for $45,000. Never been late on a single payment! Unimaginable!

TRR
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Haley is smart is saying it will be open competition because...

(1) He knows that several key veterans backed Thigpen last season, and that Thigpen may have a bright future down the line for KC or for another team. Add in the fact that you don't want your backup QB throwing fits in the media or the locker room.

(2) Cassel hasn't proven a lot yet. Make him earn it. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out that Cassel is the favorite, but let him go out and compete a little bit. Making him work a little bit harder during the offseason won't hurt a thing. And when he beats out Thigpen fair and square, those veterans will come around quicker.

(3) Haley wants competition at all levels. The days of signing guys, and making them "no question" starters before they have ever practiced in red and gold, are over.

The only way I can see something like this back firing his if Haley draws the competition out too long, and doesn't name either Cassel or Thigpen the starter. Poor QB player is terrible, but a QB controvery can be even worse. Let them play, name a starter, and stick with it.

the Talking Can
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
A trade does not guarantee a QBOTF. I want Cassell to win the job hands down. But money and trade guarantees nothing. If it did Larry Johnson would be the Chiefs best player. Competition will make the team and players better.

if you trade the 34th pick in the draft for a backup then you are too fucking stupid to be in charge of a franchise....

FringeNC
03-23-2009, 06:38 PM
if you trade the 34th pick in the draft for a backup then you are too ****ing stupid to be in charge of a franchise....

I actually think the $15 million Cassel is making is even more important. How many $15 million dollar backups are there in the league? How can you justify having that guy on the roster if he isn't starting?

seaofred
03-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I actually think the $15 million Cassel is making is even more important. How many $15 million dollar backups are there in the league? How can you justify having that guy on the roster if he isn't starting?

Not the same amount of money, but that would be a similar situation as Grabac/Gannon. That is why no matter how much $$ you start the better player.

The Bad Guy
03-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Holeee Shit.

It's simple economics. Larry Johnson is a starter - that's what his guarantee is with the contract he has.

The Chiefs are paying Matt Cassel 15 million dollars, and gave up the 34th pick in the draft.

You really think it's an open competition?

I mean really? [/end Seth Myers voice]</END voice Myers Seth>

Mecca
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM

I was making a rhetorical point to that guy.

Noss
03-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Holeee Shit.

It's simple economics. Larry Johnson is a starter - that's what his guarantee is with the contract he has.

The Chiefs are paying Matt Cassel 15 million dollars, and gave up the 34th pick in the draft.

You really think it's an open competition?

I mean really? [/end Seth Myers voice]</END voice Myers Seth>

So you want only the hightest paid players starting and not the best players starting?

The Bad Guy
03-23-2009, 07:49 PM
So you want only the hightest paid players starting and not the best players starting?

If you really think Tyler Thigpen is the best player, then I don't see a need to carry on this conversation.

The point is...

Pioli knows what he has in Cassel. He gushed over him in his intro PC. He's not paying the type of compensation that was required to obtain his services (16 million this year, plus a 2nd rounder) unless he KNEW he was going to be the starter.

They watched Tyler Thigpen tape. They saw what most of us saw. An erratic QB, who couldn't make adjustments. I shutter to think what defenses will do to him next year when they have about 10 games of tape to study.

This is NFL economics. It has nothing to do with whether I want the best player starting. It has everything to do with you don't tie up large contracts on bench players.

-King-
03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Damn, and to think the Thigpen arguments would have been done after the trade...

Hopefully he does well and we can get a trade!!!

KcFanInGA
03-23-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm soooooo glad there is no more Brodie Croyle ROFL talk this year. Man, what a difference a year makes!

Amen. Im givin you rep for this. I had, at one time, hoped Croyle would work out, but I must have forgotten that he's made of glass and toothpicks. I think a competition will work out best for us at the qb spot, just unsure if they will really do that. And I wouldn't get too excited about bringing in other qbs, b/c that could go either way. Anyone know if Croyle will be at camp. Could be Haley was referring to him, and Ingle Martin(?).

KcFanInGA
03-23-2009, 08:12 PM
ROFLIf Cassel can't win the starting job from Thigpen we just traded a 2nd round pick for a complete piece of shit.

Noss
03-23-2009, 08:55 PM
If you really think Tyler Thigpen is the best player, then I don't see a need to carry on this conversation.

The point is...

Pioli knows what he has in Cassel. He gushed over him in his intro PC. He's not paying the type of compensation that was required to obtain his services (16 million this year, plus a 2nd rounder) unless he KNEW he was going to be the starter.

They watched Tyler Thigpen tape. They saw what most of us saw. An erratic QB, who couldn't make adjustments. I shutter to think what defenses will do to him next year when they have about 10 games of tape to study.

This is NFL economics. It has nothing to do with whether I want the best player starting. It has everything to do with you don't tie up large contracts on bench players.

I stated earlier, if you look back it the thread, that if Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen he shouldn't be the starter. I'm not a fan of any player but an fan of the Chiefs as a team. The right 53.

Darth CarlSatan
03-23-2009, 08:57 PM
If Cassel can't win the starting job from Thigpen we just traded a 2nd round pick for a complete piece of shit.

ROFL

I guess the only real question left is will Pioli be using the metal or plastic spatula to flip Matt "The Pancake" Cassel?

Decisions, decisions...

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
I stated earlier, if you look back it the thread, that if Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen he shouldn't be the starter. I'm not a fan of any player but an fan of the Chiefs as a team. The right 53.if Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen you don't make the trade.

Noss
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM
if Cassell can't win the starting job from Thigpen you don't make the trade.

What three QB do you keep if you don't trade for Cassell?

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
What three QB do you keep if you don't trade for Cassell?What difference does that make? They did trade for him.

Noss
03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
What difference does that make? They did trade for him.

They had to trade for for Cassell because we couldn't have Thigpen as our only option at QB. If Thigpen thinks he has a chance at the starting position he will work harder to be a good backup, that he will be, if needed.

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
They had to trade for for Cassell because we couldn't have Thigpen as our only option at QB. If Thigpen thinks he has a chance at the starting position he will work harder to be a good backup, that he will be, if needed.You don't have to spend a day 1 pick if all you're looking for is competition for your third stringer. That's what free agency is for, and any warm body would do.

Barret
03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
They had to trade for for Cassell because we couldn't have Thigpen as our only option at QB. If Thigpen thinks he has a chance at the starting position he will work harder to be a good backup, that he will be, if needed.

You dont trade away the 34th pick in the draft and have a QB on your roster that is making 14.5 million if he is going to be the back up. If we used your logic why did the Patriots get rid of him? Brady needs a backup correct? Heck they need to have some competition for the starting spot in New England as well.

If we wanted to have some competition in the QB slot then we would Pick Stafford at the #3 spot and saved our 2nd round pick. Even then Stafford or even Sanchez would have been starting by week 5 over Thigpen.

Darth CarlSatan
03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
You don't have to spend a day 1 pick if all you're looking for is competition for your third stringer. That's what free agency is for, and any warm body would do.

Important part highlighted for emphasis.

Noss
03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
You don't have to spend a day 1 pick if all you're looking for is competition for your third stringer. That's what free agency is for, and any warm body would do.

Yes you do when your 2008 first and second stringer are worse then your third stringer.

keg in kc
03-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Yes you do when your 2008 first and second stringer are worse then your third stringer.No, you don't have to make a trade. Any street free agent would be competition for your third stringer. The towel boy would be competition for your third stringer. A tackling dummy would be competition for your third stringer. It doesn't take the 34th pick of the draft. You spend that when you're looking for more.

Blick
03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Should Cassel beat out Thigpen? Absolutely. Is it possible that Thigpen pulls something out of his ass and beats out Cassel? Yes. It's possible. Is it likely? No.

Pioli doesn't decide who starts. Haley does. So, the fact that Pioli traded for his guy doesn't mean much.

Keep in mind that Cassel only threw 3 more TD's than Thigpen in 96 more attempts with better receivers.

Cassel in New England was obviously better than Thigpen in KC. But, Cassel in KC may be a lot closer to Thigpen's level.

Darth CarlSatan
03-23-2009, 09:49 PM
No, you don't have to make a trade. Any street free agent would be competition for your third stringer. The towel boy would be competition for your third stringer. A tackling dummy would be competition for your third stringer. It doesn't take the 34th pick of the draft. You spend that when you're looking for more.

ROFL

Should Cassel beat out Thigpen? Absolutely. Is it possible that Thigpen pulls something out of his ass and beats out Cassel? Yes. It's possible. Is it likely? No.

Pioli doesn't decide who starts. Haley does. So, the fact that Pioli traded for his guy doesn't mean much.

Keep in mind that Cassel only threw 3 more TD's than Thigpen in 96 more attempts with better receivers.

Cassel in New England was obviously better than Thigpen in KC. But, Cassel in KC may be a lot closer to Thigpen's level.

Man, you better hop back on Mr. Rodger's trolley, and ride your ass on out of the land of make believe!
LMAO

Blick
03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Man, you better hop back on Mr. Rodger's trolley, and ride your ass on out of the land of make believe!
LMAO

Players improve. An improved Thigpen would probably be better than Cassel if he chokes and pulls a Derek Anderson.

Darth CarlSatan
03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Players improve. An improved Thigpen would probably be better than Cassel if he chokes and pulls a Derek Anderson.

To me, an "improved Thigpen" would be a Thigpen throwing to more than one receiver, and hitting that receiver in the numbers instead of the shins or balls.

beach tribe
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
He's saying what he's supposed to say. He knows Cassel will beat him out, but will hold an open competition. C'mon guys. You know how this shit works. I like it.

Pick Stafford. Sit him behind Cassel for a year. Pad Cassel's stats, and trade him for a 1st FTW.

Darth CarlSatan
03-23-2009, 11:11 PM
He's saying what he's supposed to say. He knows Cassel will beat him out, but will hold an open competition. C'mon guys. You know how this shit works. I like it.

Pick Sanchez. Sit him behind Cassel for a year. Pad Cassel's stats, and trade him for a 1st FTW.

Now you're cooking with flame! :D

Seriously though, just let be over. Let it ALL be over. The end of April can't come fast enough. I am SO sick of this shit.

SenselessChiefsFan
03-24-2009, 06:19 AM
if you trade the 34th pick in the draft for a backup then you are too ****ing stupid to be in charge of a franchise....

I don't think anyone thinks that the Chiefs traded for Cassel with the intention of him being the backup.

However, if Cassel plays well in TC and preseason, but Thigpen plays better and gets the job... I think the smarter, more objective fans will back the decision to start Thigpen.

One of the best things about Pioli and Belichich are that they no this is not an exact science. And, having never coached Thigpen on the field, Haley really doesn't know what they have in him.

I think that Cassel wins the starting job, but unlike most, I don't think it is purely coach speak when Haley talks about the competition.

Now, if the competition is close, the tiebreaker will of course go to Cassel. And, if Cassel is struggling, the Chiefs may chalk that up to the new environment and team. But, if Cassel is playing well, but Thigpen is just better.... it won't surprise me to see the Chiefs start Thigpen in that situation.

Now, do I think Thigpen will outplay Cassel? No. But, it would be fun to watch the heads explode in here if he does.

the Talking Can
03-24-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think anyone thinks that the Chiefs traded for Cassel with the intention of him being the backup.

However, if Cassel plays well in TC and preseason, but Thigpen plays better and gets the job... I think the smarter, more objective fans will back the decision to start Thigpen.

One of the best things about Pioli and Belichich are that they no this is not an exact science. And, having never coached Thigpen on the field, Haley really doesn't know what they have in him.

I think that Cassel wins the starting job, but unlike most, I don't think it is purely coach speak when Haley talks about the competition.

Now, if the competition is close, the tiebreaker will of course go to Cassel. And, if Cassel is struggling, the Chiefs may chalk that up to the new environment and team. But, if Cassel is playing well, but Thigpen is just better.... it won't surprise me to see the Chiefs start Thigpen in that situation.

Now, do I think Thigpen will outplay Cassel? No. But, it would be fun to watch the heads explode in here if he does.

i don't care who plays

the point is simple: if you trade the 34 pick for a backup, you aren't very bright....

King_Chief_Fan
03-24-2009, 06:28 AM

Cassel will be the starter no doubt. Haley and Pioli are not going to allow themselves to look like fools by trading a 34 pick for a back up QB.
Thigpen will get his playing time as the O line (or lack of one) will most likely sideline Cassel with a season ending injury.

splatbass
03-24-2009, 09:14 AM
There would be an epic meltdown here on the planet if Thigpen starts. I like other still think this is HC retoric but who knows? :shrug:

Haley has already shown that he will start the QB that is playing best when he benched "QBOTF" Leinart and started over the hill Warner. I believe him when he says it will be a competition and the best will start. And I think that is the best way to do it.

Darth CarlSatan
03-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Cassel will be the starter no doubt. Haley and Pioli are not going to allow themselves to look like fools by trading a 34 pick for a back up QB.
Thigpen will get his playing time as the O line (or lack of one) will most likely sideline Cassel with a season ending injury.

"Do you know the way to Con-tract Ville"?...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lmyo1mulXBw/R7r1EdOz2gI/AAAAAAAADVY/YSrMkG6O3c4/s320/Dionne+Warwick+-+Hot+Live+and+Otherwise.jpg
http://graphics.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/22/1193106898_4918/300h.jpg

He doesn't.

splatbass
03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

If they put how they "look" over getting the best players on the field then they suck. They should have a competition at every position, and the best players should start, without regard to how much they make or what draft pick was given for them. If it turns out that Cassel can't win the starting job (not likely, but possible) then if they have the best in mind for the team they will put their egos aside and start Thigpen.

If a GM and coach worry more about not looking like fools then they do about putting the best team on the field they should be fired immediately.

keg in kc
03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Thigpen will get his playing time as the O line (or lack of one) will most likely sideline Cassel with a season ending injury.Dude got sacked 47 times last year. He's not exactly made of glass.

And Pioli doesn't strike me as stupid. I'm sure he's seen a lot more detailed evidence of suck watching tape of the line from last year than any of us have.

Noss
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Haley has already shown that he will start the QB that is playing best when he benched "QBOTF" Leinart and started over the hill Warner. I believe him when he says it will be a competition and the best will start. And I think that is the best way to do it.

:thumb:

DaneMcCloud
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Alright, do we need to go through this again?

"Haley" didn't bench anyone. Ken Whisenhunt brought in the vertical passing game from Pittsburgh. Leinart was drafted by the Dennis Green to run the West Coast offense. He's not well-suited for the vertical game.

And you're nuts if you think there's going to be a "competition". It'll be evident from the first snap in mini-camp that Cassel is the superior QB.

:thumb:

Epic Fail

PGM
03-24-2009, 05:06 PM
It would take an epic meltdown from Cassell to not get the starting job with what they gave up to get him.

Darth CarlSatan
03-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Alright, do we need to go through this again?

"Haley" didn't bench anyone. Ken Whisenhunt brought in the vertical passing game from Pittsburgh. Leinart was drafted by the Dennis Green to run the West Coast offense. He's not well-suited for the vertical game.

And you're nuts if you think there's going to be a "competition". It'll be evident from the first snap in mini-camp that Cassel is the superior QB.

Epic Fail

ROFL Ca-RACK THAT WHIP!