PDA

View Full Version : Religion Matthew's Zombies

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Matthew 27:52-53 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

I think I played this game in COD 5 Nazi Zombies, but seriously wouldn't this have been cool? Old dead guys walking around Jerusalem?

On another slant would there have been any "saints" yet? I mean there were jewish prophets but aren't saints a christian thing? I'm confused.

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
:Poke:

Stirring the pot a bit today???

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Dave, surely you know that literalists are a small faction within Christianity...:rolleyes:

Matthew is full of rhetorical devices. Was it designed to symbolize the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, or as an analogy for the second coming? Probably both.

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
:Poke:

Stirring the pot a bit today???

Hey inquiring minds and all. I did think it was a rather odd passage...

stevieray
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm confused.

This really goes without saying.

Jilly
03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not biting.

Dr. Van Halen
03-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Dave, surely you know that literalists are a small faction within Christianity...:rolleyes:

Is that true? I've been assuming that literalists/fundamentalists are around 30%. And growing.

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Rob,

You keep saying that, but I would like to see one iota of evidence that backs it up...Every poll I read concerning Christians and Bible inerrency (and believe me, I read many of them) says just the opposite...

I'll use Rasmussen http://legacy.rasmussenreports.com/2005/Bible.htm concerning evangelicals but many mainline denominations believe the Bible to be literally true.

The SBC is the largest protestant denomination in America and the number there is closer to 85%.

In fact, according to gallup, 30% of ALL Americans believe the Bible to be literally true...http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1790.

I just don't think you have the evidence to back this claim.

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
What about the saint issue? That's what has me the most curious. Who would the saints have been? That really has me wondering...

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 11:01 AM
This really goes without saying.

Yes how you could believe such foolishness...

Jilly
03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
What about the saint issue? That's what has me the most curious. Who would the saints have been? That really has me wondering...

Maybe the saints went marching in

to YOUR ASS

ZING!

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Well if the saints had risen up in New Orleans I'd have understood.

BigCatDaddy
03-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe the saints went marching in

to YOUR ASS

ZING!

LMAO

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Dave:

If you really want to know...

Saint derives from a Latin term (sanctus) which means holy, or sacred. The first written use of the word was probably 100 - 200 CE or so. It was used as an adjective (Saint Matthew) in approx 1300 CE as people became "sainted." It later evolved into a noun (he or she is a saint.)

There were no labeled saints in the old testament, but old testament characters were called "saints" by people who translated the new testament. Matthew was written between 80-110 CE in Greek (by someone probably not named Matthew, btw). The Greek word hagios or "devoted to God" was used in the same way "saint" was used by later translators.

Which simply means that folks in the old and new testaments were called different things because of different languages and translations....

but to get to the crux of your question - I suspect the Zombies were simply metaphors.

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Ahhh I had thought that as a possibility so the old jewish "prophets" or holy men rose up and walked the city. It makes a tad more sense. Not that I believed it it just seems too way out there...

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Rob,

You keep saying that, but I would like to see one iota of evidence that backs it up...Every poll I read concerning Christians and Bible inerrency (and believe me, I read many of them) says just the opposite...

I'll use Rasmussen http://legacy.rasmussenreports.com/2005/Bible.htm concerning evangelicals but many mainline denominations believe the Bible to be literally true.

The SBC is the largest protestant denomination in America and the number there is closer to 85%.

In fact, according to gallup, 30% of ALL Americans believe the Bible to be literally true...http://www.pamshouseblend.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1790.

I just don't think you have the evidence to back this claim.

It all depends on specific wording/verbage....I'm convinced many/most who respond positively to the "literal" or "inerrent" truth of the Bible don't really understand what they are saying. I suspect many also don't count metaphorical/literary devices as a violation of what they consider Biblical principles and teachings--it's a distinction most assume, even if Dave plays dumb about it. Heh

When pressed, with a specific definition, as to a literal or inerrent characterization....many begin to backpeddle. Sitting in the pews, and actually believing the Bible as "literal" and "inerrent" are not the same thing. Check/Google "George Barna polls."

http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/percentage-of-biblical-literal.html

Dave, as for the issue of saints...it's as oldandslow says. Saints are another way of saying holy man, or prophet. It's not like Catholics have a monopoly on the term.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
For those who didn't click on the link I provided....

Percentage of biblical literalists in US essentially unchanged since 1995: Barna

1:50 PM Mon, Mar 09, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jeffrey Weiss E-mail News tips

George Barna is a Christian evangelical pollster who doesn't let his personal religious biases affect the methodology of his polling. Earlier today I'd posted about a new huge national survey about religion in America that indicates that explicit religiosity is on the decline. Barna's latest survey report has a smaller sample and focuses specifically on Christians. He's been tracking some of the same questions since 1995, asking Christians if they believe that:

...absolute moral truth exists; the Bible is totally accurate in all of the principles it teaches; Satan is considered to be a real being or force, not merely symbolic; a person cannot earn their way into Heaven by trying to be good or do good works; Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth; and God is the all-knowing, all-powerful creator of the world who still rules the universe today.

Barna calls these expressions of a "biblical worldview." Others might affix a different label. In any case, here's his bottom line:

The results indicate that the percentage of adults with a biblical worldview, as defined above, has remained unchanged for more than a decade. The numbers show that 7% had such a worldview in 1995, compared to 10% in 2000, 11% in 2005, and 9% now.

http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/03/percentage-of-biblical-literal.html

Jenson71
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
There is one in my back yard. He keeps the squirrels away.

BucEyedPea
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Dave,
I checked out that Bahia link you provided. I thought it was very spiritual. But they lost me when it required working for world govt as part of it's faith. You support that?

Radar Chief
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Did someone say Zombie?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LXpbrGBIGxw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LXpbrGBIGxw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't really have a problem with a world government. I think nationalism is way over rated.

mlyonsd
03-24-2009, 05:56 PM
The title made me think this thread was about Chris Matthew's and his pathetic show. Carry on.

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Tweety is pretty good sometimes