PDA

View Full Version : KU Sherron Collins: The Future Can Wait

Lzen
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Kansas' star guard could test the NBA waters, or he could come back and help the Jayhawks to a top preseason ranking. It's gonna be Bill Self's call. For now: let's focus on the 2009 Dance.

<center>by Scott Powers

</center> <!-- template inline --><!-- photo wide photo -->
http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/blog/SherronTop.jpgGetty Images
Sherron Collins has led the Jayhawks to the Sweet 16 in a season some thought they'd be rebuilding.

<!-- end wide photo -->If Sherron Collins had any question how Kansas' fans felt about him possibly darting off to the NBA after the season, their chants of "One more year" during the final minutes against Texas in the home finale answered that.

Whenever Kansas' season does end in the coming weeks of the NCAA Tournament, it'll be Collins' decision whether to enter the NBA Draft or stick around for one final year that will be one of the off-season's biggest storylines. It will not only impact the Jayhawks for the 2009-2010 season, but all of college basketball.
</preview></p>If he stays, the Kansas squad—or at least Collins—could appear on the cover of every pre-season college basketball magazine as the nation's No. 1 team. If he goes, the Jayhawks possibly still make the top 25, and someone else—Duke or Michigan State, potentially—takes that top spot.
The decision will actually be put in someone else's hands—Kansas coach Bill Self's.
"I think he has my best interest in mind," Collins said. "If I need to come back, I will. We'll have another great team, another great run. If he tells me I need to go, I need to go. I've been with him for three years. I trust him because of the way he cares about you off court."
Self was surprised to hear he had so much influence.
"That's more than I know," he said. "Sherron has never mentioned the NBA to me. And to be honest, I've brought it more up to him than he's brought it up to me. And he told me that he didn't want to talk or think about that. I hope he trusts me, because I'll get accurate information. It is my goal for him to make a living playing basketball in the United States. That is my goal for him. I also think that will happen for him. I think that he needs to be very smart and investigate the correct time to make that decision."
"If he tells me I need to go, I need to go. I've been with him for three years. I trust him because of the way he cares about you off court."
Self wouldn't say which way he was leaning, but he did hint.
"I do think this: he's having the time of his life," Self said. "I think going into the year, that he probably thought this would be his last year, but I think now he's thinking that if it is not right, I'll come back, get my degree and have a chance to do some great things with what could be a special team."
There's no doubt that Kansas could be real special. The Jayhawks would return all their starters and most of their bench. They would also add top-25 recruits in Elijah Johnson, a combo guard, and power forward Thomas Robinson.
Collins' game as a senior could be scary. As a junior, he was a second-team All-American while averaging 18 points and five assists. He kept the defending national champions, a team that lost all five starters, afloat early, competitive in the middle and finally terrific late. It was Collins' leadership and skill that Kansas can thank for another Big 12 title.
"I didn't have any reservations that he could do it," Self said. "I had reservations initially about whether he was disciplined enough to do it. Sherron can do anything. He can be as good a leader as I've ever had, but sometimes, I think he puts himself in a position where his voice isn't as forceful as what it should be."
It's also easy to motivate Collins. He doesn't like being second to anyone. In high school, his greatest games were when he'd go up against Patrick Beverley (Europe), Brandon Ewing (Wyoming), Chris Singletary (Kent State), Michael Thompson (Northwestern) and Derrick Rose (Chicago Bulls). Collins, of course, got to see Rose again in last year's national title game.
"All you have to do is tell him that he can't do something," Self said. "And his pride and stubbornness will say, 'I'll show you.' 'Who's going to guard (Derrick) Rose? I'll guard him. No, you're too little. No, I'll guard 'em. No, you're too little, we have to put somebody else bigger on him.' And all that did was just get him to say, 'I'll show you that I can guard him.' That's one of his greatest strengths along with his competitiveness."
Oklahoma's Willie Warren found that out in their last meeting. Warren got hot early, scoring eight points in a 20-2 first-half run, and started running his mouth to Collins. It's not something you want to do with a player from the West Side of Chicago. Collins stepped up and dropped 26 points on Warren while leading the Jayhawks to a win on the Sooners' home floor.
http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/blog/SherronDeuce.jpgGetty Images
Don't challenge this dude. Just ask Willie Warren.

"When somebody challenges me I take that and boost my energy," Collins said. "I'm able to turn it on and take it the next level. I like when people do that. It turns my game on."
One thing Collins will have to consider when he does make his postseason decision is that he has a girlfriend and a soon-to-be two-year-old son back home in Chicago. NBA money can sometimes make those types of decisions for you.
Because he is a 5-foot-11 guard, it's not exactly easy to determine what sort of NBA player he'll be. He has plenty of skill and has proven he can play with the best in the country, but that doesn't always translate for smaller guys to success in the League. DraftExpress.com and NBADraft.net have Collins going in the early second round of the 2010 draft.
"He can score," DraftExpress.com's Jonathan Givony said. "He's a freaking scoring machine. He can shoot from deep range. He's got a good body. He's very aggressive. He wants to be a go-to guy. He's carried Kansas pretty much the whole year. I think he has a lot of stuff to improve on. I personally don't think he's ready.
"He's just very small. He doesn't really play the point for them. He's about 5-11. I don't know how many 5-11 shooting guards you find in the NBA. I wouldn't be shocked if he made it or didn't make it in the NBA."
Sounds like a challenge.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4011597

Lzen
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/24/gary-bedores-ku-basketball-notebook/?mens_basketball

Aldrich was peppered with a batch of questions about his future plans over the weekend.
He said he’d like to return to KU for a junior year and work on things like footwork and strength in his legs. He, however, said he would not decide whether or not to enter the 2009 NBA Draft until the conclusion of the season.
Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Monday’s editions quoted Flip Saunders, former coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons, as saying Aldrich probably will be a top-10 pick if he declares for June’s draft.
“He’s going to help somebody,” Saunders told Walters. “He’s a more than adequate offensive player right now. Defensively, he can really rebound, as you saw in the (Dome) games, and he blocks shots.”
Saunders was asked how Aldrich would fare in the pros next season.
“It depends where he goes,” he told Walters. “All kids are going to struggle somewhat, because it’s a change. (Sunday against Dayton), he played against guys who are 6-9, 6-10. (In the NBA), you're going to play against guys who are 6-11, 7-feet every night who are skilled, strong and quick. He’ll be able to play, but it will depend on how much adjustment he makes.”

Demonpenz
03-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Hate Ku, but those dudes are fun to watch.

DaKCMan AP
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/24/gary-bedores-ku-basketball-notebook/?mens_basketball

Aldrich was peppered with a batch of questions about his future plans over the weekend.
He said he’d like to return to KU for a junior year and work on things like footwork and strength in his legs. He, however, said he would not decide whether or not to enter the 2009 NBA Draft until the conclusion of the season.
Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press in Monday’s editions quoted Flip Saunders, former coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Detroit Pistons, as saying Aldrich probably will be a top-10 pick if he declares for June’s draft.
“He’s going to help somebody,” Saunders told Walters. “He’s a more than adequate offensive player right now. Defensively, he can really rebound, as you saw in the (Dome) games, and he blocks shots.”
Saunders was asked how Aldrich would fare in the pros next season.
“It depends where he goes,” he told Walters. “All kids are going to struggle somewhat, because it’s a change. (Sunday against Dayton), he played against guys who are 6-9, 6-10. (In the NBA), you're going to play against guys who are 6-11, 7-feet every night who are skilled, strong and quick. He’ll be able to play, but it will depend on how much adjustment he makes.”

If you're a top-10 pick then you have to go.

Thig Lyfe
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
God, I hope Sherron stays. He'd be such a great senior leader to have.

As for Cole, it would be nice if he stays, but man, you can't really tell a Top 10 pick to stay around.

If somehow they both stay, KU just has to be the preseason #1.

Lzen
03-24-2009, 12:41 PM

That's what I'm afraid of.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
God, I hope Sherron stays. He'd be such a great senior leader to have.

As for Cole, it would be nice if he stays, but man, you can't really tell a Top 10 pick to stay around.

If somehow they both stay, KU just has to be the preseason #1.Meh. How many times does the preseason #1 win it all?

Lzen
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Meh. How many times does the preseason #1 win it all?

Not very often, really. The tourney is usually full of surprises. That's the nature of a one and done tourney, I guess.

CoMoChief
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM

That doesn't matter, that #1 preseason ranked team usually is in the hunt for a National title.

I dont think you can tell a player, well were gonna be #1 heading into next season, but according to history, most #1 preseason ranked teams dont win it all so it's ok for you to jump to the NBA.

DaKCMan AP
03-24-2009, 12:52 PM

If UNC wins it this year then it'll be the third time in the last 7 years.

CoMoChief
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Had Aldrich started over Kaun last year, he'd be 10x better than what he is now.

He's a better defender now than Kaun ever was, better rebounder, finisher, shot blocker, better overal player.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-24-2009, 01:10 PM

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Had Aldrich started over Kaun last year, he'd be 10x better than what he is now.

He's a better defender now than Kaun ever was, better rebounder, finisher, shot blocker, better overal player.

I think that's pushing it... maybe 8.7 or 8.8 times better.

CoMoChief
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I think that's pushing it... maybe 8.7 or 8.8 times better.

ROFL

BigRedChief
03-24-2009, 02:05 PM
kansas poised for a final 4 run:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29831602/

Al Bundy
03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Collins in a Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniform in the fall of 2010, he could replace Ronde Barber.

ArrowheadHawk
03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
kansas poised for a final 4 run:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29831602/Nice Article.

Silock
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Warren got hot early, scoring eight points in a 20-2 first-half run, and started running his mouth to Collins. It's not something you want to do with a player from the West Side of Chicago. Collins stepped up and dropped 26 points on Warren while leading the Jayhawks to a win on the Sooners' home floor.

This cracked me up!

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Collins is a baby bull. Looks more like a football player.

BWillie
03-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Collins is a baby bull. Looks more like a football player.

We have Mr. Irrelevant this year. Let's pick him up. 7th round. He could make a good running back if he put back on the weight. It would be an unprecedented move. Print 'em