PDA

View Full Version : Life Retirement...

oldandslow
03-24-2009, 12:06 PM
A student walked up and asked me if I was going to retire next year or wait four years (65). Probably wanted to see if he could get out of the department w/o taking my research design class. Anyway, I quickly dashed his dreams by telling him that I would never retire (even though I might quit this job someday).

The way we view retirement puzzles me. Why should we? Why quit being productive and active. Even if I quit the prof gig, I would continue with organic community supported agriculture. In my mind that is what one should do (stay productive, that is).

I understand that if one becomes ill in mind or body they might have to "retire," but otherwise I really see no reason for it.

Indeed, I think it brings about a host of problems that could be averted if people just continued doing something, even if it isn't their regular job.

Demonpenz
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
If you like what you do by all means, but if you make widgets for 40 years then you want some time before you have a heart attack

Buehler445
03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
It depends on the definition of "Retire". Most of the time it means quit working so you can do your own things. Which would be consistent with what you described.
Posted via Mobile Device

RJ
03-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Stay active.....or Soylent Green?

I'll go with active.

oldandslow, you seem to be a guy who enjoys his work, which is why you'd want to stay at it. While I would want to remain active, I sure don't want to spend the rest of my days selling floors.

KCFalcon59
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
The way we view retirement puzzles me. Why should we?

Well, you are oldandslow! :D

Brock
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Working sucks.

luv
03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought retirement meant moving to Florida or Arizona.

seclark
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
i want to retire as soon as i possibly can. i figure i should be able to retire around 3years before my wife retires and puts me back to work again.
sec

Mr. Flopnuts
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm 31 and I would love to retire. No way it stops me from being productive. I just stop making someone else a boatload of money. Hopefully one of these days I can successfully make myself a boatload of money. Then, I can truly become productive.

angelo
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
My mother retired after being a nurse for 45 years.
She averaged 60 hrs a week.
Her retirement lasted for 6 months. She went nuts with all the free time.
She got bored and started a consulting business.
She has been doing that for ten years.

I actually was thinking about retiring and going into teaching.

Ang

Bob Dole
03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Well, you are oldandslow! :D

He may be slow, but his work is poor.

patteeu
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I retired my pickup truck last year. Those things are getting expensive. Put in a new battery too.

38yrsfan
03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Retirement is a state of mind while work is often a burdensome reality that is mostly endured ...

Jenson71
03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
My grandpa was forced to retire at age 80-81 before he clipped someone's ear off, otherwise I'm sure he'd still be doing it. His CDs and stocks are still productive, but most of his days are spent visiting with either the people that live in his assisted living home or friends and relatives that visit him or reading mail or watching CSPAN. It's meaningful, if not productive. He has only 4 more years to get to 90. I'm hoping he makes it. If you reach 90, you have a 50% chance of making it to 100. That's pretty good odds.

I always hear people who say that want to travel and spend time with grandchildren, so they retire. That definitely seems meaningful. Productive? Maybe not industrially, but for the soul.

Pneuma
03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
I will "retire" when my age comes just to collect my benefits. I will continue working though...