PDA

View Full Version : Football Rules Changes

bdeg
03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
NFL Passes Four Safety Proposals
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 24, 2009, 2:31 p.m. EDT

The NFL passed four safety proposals today at the annual NFL owners meetings, enacting several rule changes that includes banning the use of wedge-blocking on kickoffs, according to John Clayton of ESPN.com.

The league also passed rules to protect players from blindside helmet-to-helmet contact on blocks and for defenseless receivers from being forearmed or hit with shoulder blocks in the head or neck. The league also took additional measures to make onside kicks safer.

The wedge is a longtime football tradition, but the NFL Competition Committee changed the rule because of concern about injuries.

The rule governing blindside blocks could be dubbed the Hines Ward rule.

It’s in response to Ward’s jaw-breaking block on Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers last season. Now, a 15-yard penalty will be assessed if a player doles out a blindside block to the helmet of a defensive player by brandishing a forearm, shoulder or helmet to the head or neck.

Plus, defensive players will be flagged for unnecessary roughness if they hit a defenseless receiver in the head or neck with a forearm or shoulder.

UPDATE: Here is the formal language for the rule change involving the wedge block being outlawed: “After the ball is kicked, no more than two receiving team players may intentionally form a wedge in an attempt to block for the runner. An illegal wedge is defined as three or more players lined up shoulder-to-shoulder within two yards of each other.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/24/nfl-passes-four-safety-proposals/

The wedge rule is BS. And as far as hits to the head, let em play!! I'd be pissed if I was a tall defender.

The other rule not listed is the "Bernard Pollard rule"

You can't hit a QB while you're on the ground unless you're blocked directly into him.

King_Chief_Fan
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
the pussification continues

TinyEvel
03-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, maybe the other teams' ST coverage will be as bad as ours now :shrug:

bdeg
03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
It's kinda funny Pollard probably expected the "No hits to the heads of unprotected receivers" rule to be the Bernard Pollard rule

Buck
03-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Next year...

"2 Hand touch only. You must only use your 2nd hand after your first hand has already touched. Any simultaneous touching of both hands automatically results in a 15 yard penalty and automatic ejection"

Mr. Arrowhead
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
sooner or later your not even gonna be able to touch the qb

stlchiefs
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow, 10 years from now the refs are not even going to be able to remember all the rules.

Every year the league makes some knee jerk reaction to a single injury or play and makes a new rule around it in the offseason. This is getting ridiculous.

KCChiefsMan
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM
maybe they'll implement an all time QB rule soon. With no lineman on offense or defense and any player who chooses to rush the QB will have to count to 10 before he can go after him

soundmind
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
They should just go ahead and adopt the alternate jersey for QBs that's part of practice. Further, how the f*** are you going to outlaw the wedge, and "blindside blocking"???

By eliminating the wedge scheme....who the f*** are you protecting? THE MOST VULNERABLE GUY ON THE FIELD IS THE RETURNER. Who now has a target on his chest you can see from 40 yards away....and....instead of him concentrating on not getting killed by 1/3rd of the field, he has to consider the whole damn thing.

I realize the latter has an attachment of "to the head/neck" but do you really think these guys are aiming for the facemask when they make that play? Hitting the guy high or low is about all the thought you get when the game is played at the speed it is in the NFL (and its already illegal to hit him low). That's basically saying that Hines Ward can dial a phone with his shoulder, in a hurricane. Wouldn't this basically outlaw crack-back blocks in general? So basically a LB doesn't have to know his surroundings anymore, cause as long as he's not paying attention, it's illegal to hit him.

I love the annual effort to curtail hitting in a collision sport. Why in the hell do they feel the need to make changes like this every single f***ing year?

....by 2015, they won't kickoff anymore, just start at the 35 every time (barring penalties of course) - and - QBs will all wear neon jerseys, and will be "tackled" once their flags are pulled, letting off an NBA like buzzer.

Valiant
03-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Next year...

"2 Hand touch only. You must only use your 2nd hand after your first hand has already touched. Any simultaneous touching of both hands automatically results in a 15 yard penalty and automatic ejection"

Will never happen, that would stifle the offense..

Valiant
03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
sooner or later your not even gonna be able to touch the qb

Yeah it is totally fucked up.. Man I wish someone would throw down some money and start another league that actually wants to play football.. Shit I still think the XFL would have lasted if McMahon and the gay fucking wrestling stigma was not associated with it..

All of these rules are being passed to pussify the NFL but yet lineman still can block into players knees..

Fuck they to at least make it were the QB cannot run past the line of scrimmage to even up some of these bullshit rules..

bdeg
03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
They should just go ahead and adopt the alternate jersey for QBs that's part of practice. Further, how the f*** are you going to outlaw the wedge, and "blindside blocking"???

By eliminating the wedge scheme....who the f*** are you protecting? THE MOST VULNERABLE GUY ON THE FIELD IS THE RETURNER. Who now has a target on his chest you can see from 40 yards away....and....instead of him concentrating on not getting killed by 1/3rd of the field, he has to consider the whole damn thing.

I realize the latter has an attachment of "to the head/neck" but do you really think these guys are aiming for the facemask when they make that play? Hitting the guy high or low is about all the thought you get when the game is played at the speed it is in the NFL (and its already illegal to hit him low). That's basically saying that Hines Ward can dial a phone with his shoulder, in a hurricane. Wouldn't this basically outlaw crack-back blocks in general? So basically a LB doesn't have to know his surroundings anymore, cause as long as he's not paying attention, it's illegal to hit him.

I love the annual effort to curtail hitting in a collision sport. Why in the hell do they feel the need to make changes like this every single f***ing year?

....by 2015, they won't kickoff anymore, just start at the 35 every time (barring penalties of course) - and - QBs will all wear neon jerseys, and will be "tackled" once their flags are pulled, letting off an NBA like buzzer.

I hate it. I understand wanting to avoid injuries, but get them better helmets or something.

They're ruining my favorite part of the sport.

Basileus777
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
I've been against many of the rule changes in recent years, but banning certain blindside blocks isn't unreasonable.

bdeg
03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
ban helmet to helmet, but you should always be able to lead with your shoulder.

soundmind
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM
ban helmet to helmet, but you should always be able to lead with your shoulder.

Exactly.

I'm all for player safety, but you are playing a COLLISION SPORT - and by the time you've reached the NFL...probably for about 10 years. It should not be a surprise that you're going to get hit.

Helmet-to-Helmet contact should be penalized fiercely. That's like drunk driving, no good comes from it, and it puts unnecessary risk on the table.

But to just add 3-5 rules an offseason because someone got hurt???

Demonpenz
03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
can't block a person in the head or below the knees? There is going to be more cockblocking than a homecoming party

keg in kc
03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
You can't hit a QB while you're on the ground unless you're blocked directly into him.The verbiage of the bernie pollard rule would be "if you're blocked onto the ground and the opposing quarterback steps into your helmet, breaking his leg off at the knee, you get flagged a gazzilion yards. And castrated. With dirty cleats."

Over-Head
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Can't be hurten these bitchy millionairs now can we,

Come on up here and play some in the CFL, the "fair catch rule" that DOES NOT EXIST in our version does make for some great highlight reels

Skip Towne
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Next is the "everybody wears dresses rule"

listopencil
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi, Skip. Nice sig.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
The competition committee enacted a change on its own to protect quarterbacks against low hits by defenders. As part of an officiating point of emphasis, the committee instructed officials to penalize any defensive player who lunges from the ground, after being knocked down by a blocker, and drives his head or shoulder into the quarterback's lower leg. It remains permissible for a defender to swipe at a quarterback's legs from the ground.

That change does not require a vote by the teams because it is an officiating point of emphasis, not a rule change. That move comes in the offseason after New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury on a low hit in last year's opener against the Kansas City Chiefs.

If Pollard had hit Jon Kitna and knocked him out for the year this would have never been an issue.

whoman69
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
No mention of the biggest change on the way which will bring in either a 17th or 18th regular season game. I will never understand the logic that it will prevent meaningless pre-season injuries. Is there more risk that a player will be hurt in a game in which they play one series/quarter or in two more meaningful games in which they will play the whole game? Also no mention about how this will cut down on pre-season conditioning.