PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Buick, Jaguar top J.D. Power Dependability Study

mlyonsd
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Buick, Jaguar top J.D. Power Dependability Study

Thursday , March 19, 2009
http://www.foxnews.com/images/foxnews_story.gif

Score one for the home team, and the team formerly owned by the home team.

Buick and Jaguar tied for first place in the latest J.D. Power and Associates Depedability Study, ahead of Lexus, Toyota and Mercury.

The report tracks owner-reported problems with cars built in the 2006 model year, Buick and Jaguar (then owned by Ford) coming in with a rating of 122 issues per 100 vehicles. The industry average is 170.

Suzuki came in dead last in the study with 263 problems, just behind Volkswagen at 260.

The study also breaks individual models down by vehicle type with Toyota, Lexus and Scion combining to take the top spot in ten categories for the Japanese corporation, while Ford, Mercury and Lincoln teamed up for four wins.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509786,00.html

Within the fox link is another one to the J.D. Power study.

mlyonsd
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
btw, the 2009 Camry is the ugliest car on the road today.

SNR
03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a 2003 VW Passat. Never once have taken it in for anything apart from oil changes. Had to replace the headlights a couple times, but who doesn't?

mlyonsd
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a 2003 VW Passat. Never once have taken it in for anything apart from oil changes. Had to replace the headlights a couple times, but who doesn't?

Driving 1 mile a day to the country club and back doesn't count.

btw, I don't think VW did very well in the JD study.

This thread is just intended to point out to those that think Detroit makes chitty cars don't really know what they're talking about.

BCD
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
:spock: Funny, I happen to think its among the best looking.

jiveturkey
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
The interior is awful and the seats seem like their built for the morbidly obese. I'm done with Toyota.

For some reason there just aren't a lot of cars that push my buttons these days. Went to the car show thinking that I might like the new Lincoln MKS. Nope. The Cadillac's are nice but seem way over priced. The Acuras look like Saturns.

The Hyundai Genesis was actually at the top of my list.

An $88,000 Lexus was of course at the very top of the list though. The backseats had just as much leg room as the front and they reclined. It was like sitting in heaven.

I'm not even going to sit in a Buick. I'm glad to see that they're topping the list of dependability though.

Mr. Kotter
03-25-2009, 09:57 AM

This thread is just intended to point out to those that think Detroit makes chitty cars don't really know what they're talking about.

American cars have done better, generally, of late....but still lag in reliability compared to many imports.

IMHO, Consumer Reports and TrueDelta reliability ratings are more credible/accurate than JD Powers.

JD Powers rates clients/advertisers. It isn't surprising their ratings, overall, seem more positive regarding those clients than.....other ratings by groups who do not take on automobile companies as clients/advertisers.

:hmmm:

SNR
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM

This thread is just intended to point out to those that think Detroit makes chitty cars don't really know what they're talking about.85,000 miles?

mlyonsd
03-25-2009, 04:36 PM
85,000 miles?

You do realize I was just joking.

Every car company makes good cars. I've just seen some here post that Detroit makes junk and this study debunks that IMO.

SNR
03-25-2009, 04:38 PM
You do realize I was just joking.

Every car company makes good cars. I've just seen some here post that Detroit makes junk and this study debunks that IMO.You're being really serious right now. I don't see how you could be joking.

mlyonsd
03-25-2009, 04:40 PM
You're being really serious right now. I don't see how you could be joking.

Careful, stupid on board here....I didn't follow your thought there.

wild1
03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
That's something for Jaguar, it used to be they topped all these unreliability lists

mlyonsd
03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
That's something for Jaguar, it used to be they topped all these unreliability lists

The study actually reflects cars built in 2006 when Ford owned them.

mlyonsd
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
American cars have done better, generally, of late....but still lag in reliability compared to many imports.

IMHO, Consumer Reports and TrueDelta reliability ratings are more credible/accurate than JD Powers.

JD Powers rates clients/advertisers. It isn't surprising their ratings, overall, seem more positive regarding those clients than.....other ratings by groups who do not take on automobile companies as clients/advertisers.

:hmmm:

This study was based on responses from actual car owners who bought their cars in 2006. The results were tallied in 2008, which means owners had driven them for at least or almost 2 years. I think that's pretty thorough.