PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley to Thigpen "Tyler ,look at my history" The best player will play"

Tuckdaddy
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f6c67d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

If we have to start Thigpen over Matt, that will suck.

RustShack
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I hope your smart enough to know its not going to happen...

Coogs
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f6c67d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

If they are not sure Cassel is any better than Thigpen, then the #3 pick had better be a QB. Stafford or Sanchez/Sanchez or Stafford... I don't care either way.

Silock
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
The best player SHOULD play. The best player should be Matt, but if it's not, then I'm fine with it. I just want to win.

Count Zarth
03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Watch...your future end....Tyler

Deberg_1990
03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Competition tends to bring out the best in most people.

Brock
03-25-2009, 01:54 PM
what's the problem with the best player winning the job? Not that it would ever be Thigpen.

RustShack
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
what's the problem with the best player winning the job? Not that it would ever be Thigpen.

There is nothing wrong with the best player playing, whats wrong is people actually think Thigpen could be better.

Tuckdaddy
03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't like QB competitions. The QB is a major leader on the team and that should not be up for debate. The offense especially, needs to know who the starter is.

Cassel should have been told he's the starter from day one.

Coogs
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I don't like QB competitions. The QB is a major leader on the team and that should not be up for debate. The offense especially, needs to know who the starter is.

Cassel should ahve been told he's the starter from day one.

This!

Otherwise Stafford or Sanchez!

Brock
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Cassel should ahve been told he's the starter from day one.

WTF? Win the job and you're the leader. It's a silly discussion to begin with. Cassel can make throws Thigpen can only fantasize about making.

RustShack
03-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Well you shouldn't just be handed the keys... you need to prove your the guy first...

kysirsoze
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

I don't like QB competition during the season. But during camp it makes sense. I think the offense wants to know that the guy leading them earned it and deserves to be there.

BTW it will obviously be Cassel.

htismaqe
03-25-2009, 02:02 PM

This.

WTF? Win the job and you're the leader. It's a silly discussion to begin with. Cassel can make throws Thigpen can only fantasize about making.

And this.

Tuckdaddy
03-25-2009, 02:02 PM
If they are not sure Cassel is any better than Thigpen, then the #3 pick had better be a QB. Stafford or Sanchez/Sanchez or Stafford... I don't care either way.

Exactly! What the hell did we trade for him for just to have him compete? They could have just drafted a QB.

probably a 90% chance Matt gets the job but QB competitons don't usually work out. Sahring snaps in mini camp and training camp and all that shit is just crap for a football team.

Matt was brought to solidify the position for the future not get 14 mil to sit the bench.

CoMoChief
03-25-2009, 02:04 PM
This!

Otherwise Stafford or Sanchez!

fuck no

ncCHIEFfan
03-25-2009, 02:04 PM
We will not be drafting a QB on day 1.... Cassel will be the SQB. Ya just can't be believing everything the media/coaching staff says fellas

Fish
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
It's going to be funny when Nate Davis is the starting QB instead of these fools...

CoMoChief
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
We didnt give up a high 2nd rd pick for him (Cassell) to just sit on the bench.

He will start. If Haley doesn't want him to, Pioli will then have final say on that.

Now its different if Cassell plays like absolute shit, then benches him. That isn't out of the question IMO. In that case if we eat crow then we eat crow for making once again another terrible personnel mistake.

chiefs1111
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
The only way Thigpen sees any playtime this year is because of injuries.

milkman
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I thoght that points #3 and #5 were more interesting tidbits.

ncCHIEFfan
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
:spock:It's going to be funny when Nate Davis is the starting QB instead of these fools...

YEAH! real funny...ha ha:thumb: just flp'n hilarious

ncCHIEFfan
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
:spock:It's going to be funny when Nate Davis is the starting QB instead of these fools...

YEAH! real funny...ha ha:thumb: just flp'n hilarious:spock:

milkman
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
**** no

We won't be drafting either, but you are a fucking idiot nontheless.

RustShack
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Everyone knows Cassel is better or at least slightly better in ever category besides running the ball. His biggest thing he has over Thigpen is the fact he can actually run a real offense. There is no possible way Thiggy can beat him out and Cassel will still get the majority of the snaps anyways. Hell Haley will probably see enough of Thigpen during mini camps and start saying Cassel is the starter then. Really the only reason hes saying its a competition is to keep Cassel working.

FringeNC
03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I think it's obvious that Cassel is going to be the QB, and it will be a staged competition. Nonetheless, for Haley to make the effort to call Thigpen, and publicly state there is an open competition certainly suggests that Haley thinks Thigpen has some talent, which I agree with.

The hate on this board for Thigpen is ridiculous though. There were threads about how Quinn f'n Gray should be the backup, not Thigpen. Anyone who watched the games with Thigpen who thought some annual waiver wire scrub had more talent is worthy of being permanently put on ignore.

Brock
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I think it's obvious that Cassel is going to be the QB, and it will be a staged competition. Nonetheless, for Haley to make the effort to call Thigpen, and publicly state there is an open competition certainly suggests that Haley thinks Thigpen has some talent, which I agree with.

The hate on this board for Thigpen is ridiculous though. There were threads about how Quinn f'n Gray should be the backup, not Thigpen. Anyone who watched the games with Thigpen who thought some annual waiver wire scrub had more talent is worthy of being permanently put on ignore.

Agreed 100 pct

Rooster
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
The Chiefs have been quite the chatterboxes during these meetings. I have seen more quotes coming out of the Chiefs camp this week then I have in the last three months. :D

KCtotheSB
03-25-2009, 02:41 PM

THANK YOU!

I'm not going to sit here and have a circle jerk on how Thigpen should be the starter or how he "earned" the job over his performance last season. Thigpen is a quality backup who can come in and catch lightning in a bottle for us. He gave us some excitement in an otherwise dismal season. The guy came in with 0 career starts and 0 experience 1/4 of the way into the season and did and admirable job. We're expecting too much if we want Joe goddamn Montana right out of the gate. Ben Roethelisberger's and Joe Flacco's are extermely rare and even then, the talent around them was exceptionally good. Thigpen led the offense to very respectable numbers that would have resulted in wins if we had a head coach who didn't use the handicap space at Arrowhead and a defense that knew they were supposed to STOP the other team from crossing THEIR goal line.

Tyler is a quality backup and that's it. Enough with the hate for this kid.....sweet Jesus....

Coogs
03-25-2009, 02:44 PM
THANK YOU!

I'm not going to sit here and have a circle jerk on how Thigpen should be the starter or how he "earned" the job over his performance last season. Thigpen is a quality backup who can come in and catch lightning in a bottle for us. He gave us some excitement in an otherwise dismal season. The guy came in with 0 career starts and 0 experience 1/4 of the way into the season and did and admirable job. We're expecting too much if we want Joe goddamn Montana right out of the gate. Ben Roethelisberger's and Joe Flacco's are extermely rare and even then, the talent around them was exceptionally good. Thigpen led the offense to very respectable numbers that would have resulted in wins if we had a head coach who didn't use the handicap space at Arrowhead and a defense that knew they were supposed to STOP the other team from crossing THEIR goal line.

Tyler is a quality backup and that's it. Enough with the hate for this kid.....sweet Jesus....

I'm not hating on the guy. I happen to agree with everything you say. Thigpen is a quality backup. And if they are not sure Cassel can beat out a quality backup, then we better be drafting Stafford or Sanchez.

Darth CarlSatan
03-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not hating on the guy. I happen to agree with everything you say. Thigpen is a quality backup. And if they are not sure Cassel can beat out a quality backup, then we better be drafting Stafford or Sanchez.

No! Fuck No!
Because I'm a member of the CoMo Chief Douchewater Brigade and all I care about is Cassel starting even if he sucks. But it's okay because we've got a pro bowler in Tyler Thigpen right behind him.

We don't need no more QB's, even though Haley has plainly stated that there are only TWO on the roster. And if we do, let's hope lightning can strike twice and Pioli will magically transform Graham Harrell in to Rodger Staubach.

Did I mention I'm a complete fucking tool? Quite so.

kcfanXIII
03-25-2009, 03:26 PM
i like that he says this, and i think hailey truly believes what he's saying. however, i think it will be only a matter of time before cassel proves he's the best qb. prob sometime towards the end of camp. i think the point is the days of loyalty based on draft spot, and salary are over.

PastorMikH
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
The best player SHOULD play. The best player should be Matt, but if it's not, then I'm fine with it. I just want to win.

Yep.

If I were Tyler, I'd be hiring a personal QB coach (like Deberg - I understand he's doing some of that) and work my but off learning how to work under center and running an NFL offense.

crazycoffey
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM

and we're so sure that stafford or sanchez can beat a quality back-up?

Darth CarlSatan
03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
and we're so sure that stafford or sanchez can beat a quality back-up AND a starter?

Yes. Yes we damn sure are.

PastorMikH
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
As for the Thigpen/Cassell comparison.

Everything on paper says Cassell should be better. He has a perfect size for an NFL QB, and can make the throws. He did well last year starting 15 games. But, the NE Pats could plug a lot of bench QBs in and get wins - their players are experienced and their D is capable of shutting other Os down.

Thigpen on the other hand, at 6'1" doesn't have great size. He struggles under center and the O had to be adapted to a spread for him to be successfull. However, Thigpen is a competitor and has a heart for doing whatever he has to do to win. He started as a freshman and led a brand new college football program and put together a 30-6 w/l record while Cassell was on the bench for 4 years. Had the Chiefs D been even just a little bit better last season, I believe we could have been close to .500 last season.

If this is an open competition, I, along with many others here would expect Cassell to win. However, I believe that Thigpen does have some intangibles that will make it more interesting of a competition that many believe.

Noss
03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Well you shouldn't just be handed the keys... you need to prove your the guy first...

I agree. Look what happened last year with handing the keys to Brokie.

stevieray
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Competition tends to bring out the best in most people.

:doh!:

htismaqe
03-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I agree. Look what happened last year with handing the keys to Brokie.

It caused him to get hurt? :spock:

Noss
03-25-2009, 06:22 PM
It caused him to get hurt? :spock:

Good point, lack of competition made him lax and prone to injury?

wazu
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't like the "show" competition. If they really believe these two are comparable and can have a serious competition, then yes, they should be drafting a QB at #3, and they shouldn't have blown our #2 on Cassel.

htismaqe
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Good point, lack of competition made him lax and prone to injury?

Poor build and a history of catastrophic injuries made him prone to injury.

Being handed the starting job didn't hurt anything at all.

htismaqe
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
I don't like the "show" competition. If they really believe these two are comparable and can have a serious competition, then yes, they should be drafting a QB at #3, and they shouldn't have blown our #2 on Cassel.

Kind of the way I feel about it.

Noss
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM

I agree. Their should have been a competition with a QB with the history of injuries he had. That's why Cassell and Thigpen should compete because both maybe one year wonders. Cassell had a better team and system to support him.

htismaqe
03-25-2009, 07:12 PM
I agree. Their should have been a competition with a QB with the history of injuries he had. That's why Cassell and Thigpen should compete because both maybe one year wonders. Cassell had a better team and system to support him.

I would contend Thigpen had the better system, at least in terms of a fit to his abilities. Cassel ran the same system Tom Brady ran. Thigpen had to have the entire offense changed to suit him.

Noss
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I would contend Thigpen had the better system, at least in terms of a fit to his abilities. Cassel ran the same system Tom Brady ran. Thigpen had to have the entire offense changed to suit him.

Now they both will compete in the same new system with the same team and whom ever gets the starting job is fine with me because of Todd Haley is leading the team now. Todd will decide who starts at QB no matter what you and I think should happen. I do think Cassell will start, but that doesn't matter its not may choice.

Darth CarlSatan
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Horrible, god-awful, and STUPID Herm Pick.

Wisdom. Perfect and infallible wisdom on the part of Adam of htismage. Undeniable. Non debatable. And perfect in every syllable.
Perfect.

Coogs
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM

Yep!

Cormac
03-25-2009, 09:49 PM

I disagree. If they are not sure, then we're going to suck anyway. We'll have a top 10 pick again next year and can pick up a QB then. I don't want them to throw good picks after bad just to get a fleet of QBs hoping one will stick. We've invested in the QB position for this year. If Cassell flames out, we'll get one next year. Let's give him a chance first and address the front 7 on D with our early 09 draft picks.

JMO.

KCBOSS1
03-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Thigpen has nothing to lose...come out slinging. He doesn't have to feel nervous at all. He's not the block buster acquisition. Regardless, he is in better shape than he was at the beginning of last year. He probably secured himself for 5-10 years as at least a back up QB in the NFL. He was just trying to make the team last year.

KCBOSS1
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Don't get me wrong....I'm in support of Cassell, but Thigpen did great for his future and is in prime position is Cassell screws up this year. I also agree....I want to see us build the line...build the O-LINE!

bishop_74
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Just so I am clear where was it stated that the offensive system was changed to suit him? I think I remember them changing to the spread to keep the QB from being raped. He just happened to excel in it because it was what he ran a Coastal Carolina.

Count Zarth
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Thigpen plays like shit from under center. His footwork is all fucked up. The shotgun and the spread is his crutch because:

1. He lacks downfield accuracy
2. His footwork is all fucked up

Just Passin' By
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Exactly! What the hell did we trade for him for just to have him compete? They could have just drafted a QB.

probably a 90% chance Matt gets the job but QB competitons don't usually work out. Sahring snaps in mini camp and training camp and all that shit is just crap for a football team.

Matt was brought to solidify the position for the future not get 14 mil to sit the bench.

It's essentially a brand new coaching staff and front office. Do you people really expect them to just list off the starters at every position before they even see these guys on the field?

Really? How would that get the message of "bust your ass and earn your spot" across to anyone? Have y'all not been paying attention to how things are done by the Belichick/Parcells tree to know how this was going to go down in year one?

bishop_74
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
OK... at 29 seconds... check out the terrible footwork, and how he locks on to Tony G the whole time. All this from under center DESPITE the fact that he gets his grapes squashed in a vice.

Then at 1:52, his weak inaccurate arm lobs a 45 yard strike to Bradley IN STRIDE.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c268c7

How can you now love this guy?

http://www.kcchiefsfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/tyler-thigpen-and-skeleton.jpg

...and this one seems pretty important too.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/34/l_eba89448c8104944ab193947e6a07a6b.jpg

Count Zarth
03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
No one cares about the time the sun shone on Thigpen's canine ass.

He sucks. To the bench with him. And to HELL with his fans.

Crush
03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Thigpen is nailing Holly Star? I will give him props for that.

bishop_74
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM

:D

InChiefsHell
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
HTF did we lose that game?? I forgot how big a lead we had early on...jeeeeeez...

Coogs
03-26-2009, 07:14 AM
I disagree. If they are not sure, then we're going to suck anyway. We'll have a top 10 pick again next year and can pick up a QB then. I don't want them to throw good picks after bad just to get a fleet of QBs hoping one will stick. We've invested in the QB position for this year. If Cassell flames out, we'll get one next year. Let's give him a chance first and address the front 7 on D with our early 09 draft picks.

JMO.

We will just have to agree to disagree then. Outside of Curry, every single defensive player is a huge reach at the #3 spot according to the draft guru's. And like it or not, most of the time those guys a pretty close to correct. And while we may not like the positions that are best suited for the #3 spot, they appear to be 1 of a couple of LT's, Crabtree, and Stafford.

Coogs

JMO.

We will just have to agree to disagree then. Outside of Curry, every single defensive player is a huge reach at the #3 spot according to the draft guru's. And like it or not, most of the time those guys a pretty close to correct. And while we may not like the positions that are best suited for the #3 spot, they appear to be 1 of a couple of LT's, Crabtree, and Stafford.

Next year is the defensive draft.

BigMeatballDave
OK... at 29 seconds... check out the terrible footwork, and how he locks on to Tony G the whole time. All this from under center DESPITE the fact that he gets his grapes squashed in a vice.

Then at 1:52, his weak inaccurate arm lobs a 45 yard strike to Bradley IN STRIDE.

He had a great FIRST half. His 2nd half blew ass.

Kerberos
03-26-2009, 07:31 AM

Did they announce that the Chiefs will be running the spread again this year or something? Did I miss it?

If anything OTHER than the spread is used for an offense this year then Thiggy has about a snowballs chance in hell of being our QB.

To think otherwise would pretty much be retarded.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 07:32 AM
It's essentially a brand new coaching staff and front office. Do you people really expect them to just list off the starters at every position before they even see these guys on the field?

Really? How would that get the message of "bust your ass and earn your spot" across to anyone? Have y'all not been paying attention to how things are done by the Belichick/Parcells tree to know how this was going to go down in year one?

I see you quoted me without ANY understanding of what I said.

I EXPECT them to say it will be a competition. I EXPECT there to be a competition.

And I'm going to ENJOY it when Cassel thoroughly and unequivocally wins the job.

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 07:33 AM
We'll have a top 10 pick again next year and can pick up a QB then.

Next year's QB class, so far, is beyond awful.

Cormac
03-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Next year is the defensive draft.

Fair enough. I have no problem with that. I agree that it's a disappointing year to have the #3 pick. Ideally I'd love a trade down to 8-10 and pick Everette Brown (or best defensive front 7 player available). I like Stafford but I have been getting convinced he's not #3 material either. I have doubts about Cassell (who wouldn't) but I think it's a fair shot at solidifying the position for several years, and a shot that needs at least 1 year's undivided attention. Having said all that I'd be pretty happy if Pioli took a flyer on a developmental QB in the late rounds if something tickled his fancy!

Cormac
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Next year's QB class, so far, is beyond awful.

I had no idea.

You mean you don't like Colt McCoy or jughead Tebow? ROFL

kcbubb
03-26-2009, 09:02 AM

glad to see someone taking up for Thigpen at least a little bit. He did pretty good all things considered.

You are right that Cassel is the obvious favorite to win the QB spot, BUT I think you could have said the same thing for Leinart in Arizona.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I see you quoted me without ANY understanding of what I said.

I EXPECT them to say it will be a competition. I EXPECT there to be a competition.

And I'm going to ENJOY it when Cassel thoroughly and unequivocally wins the job.

You were posting in the same vein as the others I quoted. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point about it. Cassel is the starter with competition in name only unless the team drafts a QB at #3, but the team won't declare any position won until they've seen all the players on the field, because it would be counterproductive to do that this year.

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 09:22 AM

And fuck their asses with a tube of cocoa-butter!

JMO.

Let us establish this right now: there will be NO taking of a "top 3" quarterback next year, even if we suck the largest and juiciest of monkey balls the entire 2009 season.
I will raze Arrowhead Stadium to the GROUND and convert to Raiderism before I EVER tolerate one of those three clowns in a Chiefs Jersey.

In short:
NO.

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
I had no idea.

You mean you don't like Colt McCoy or jughead Tebow? ROFL

Don't forget the Llama!!!!
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn182/lightbringerrr/4f4cd5ba.png

htismaqe
03-26-2009, 09:53 AM
You were posting in the same vein as the others I quoted. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your point about it. Cassel is the starter with competition in name only unless the team drafts a QB at #3, but the team won't declare any position won until they've seen all the players on the field, because it would be counterproductive to do that this year.

No, I think you got my point.

There's going to be a competition. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's an earnest, sincere competition.

I just give Thigpen about a .00000000001% chance of winning it.

InChiefsHell
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM

There's going to be a competition. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's an earnest, sincere competition.

I just give Thigpen about a .00000000001% chance of winning it.

So, you're saying there IS a chance...seweeeet...:D

Chief Faithful
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
If Cassell is everything Don Pioli thinks he is there is nothing to fear from the competition in the preseason. Cassell will win the competition and the pressure will build confidence among his team and help prepare him for the season.

If Cassell is not able to beat out Thigpen then I'm glad Haley is not willing to just hand the team to him.

Either way nobody will know the answer until the preseason is played.

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM

I just give Thigpen about a .00000000001% chance of winning it, IF he's not taking snaps from under Center.

FYP. :D

TEX
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
The best part about all this is we don't have to hear about Brodie Croyle...No Herm, no Carl, no Croyle - what a DIFFERENCE a year makes!

Darth CarlSatan
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
The best part about all this is we don't have to hear about Brodie Croyle...No Herm, no Carl, no Croyle - what a DIFFERENCE a year makes!

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzWA66D6Jpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dzWA66D6Jpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>